Duke4.net Forums: The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge - Duke4.net Forums

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge  "Trivia, Research, etc."

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

v1.3D
Posted Image

v1.5
Posted Image

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Wow, it'd sure suck to have your face replaced like that.

Any idea why they replaced and reduced?

This post has been edited by Micky C: 22 October 2016 - 04:43 AM

Wasn't there another one, with two heads impaled? Pretty sure it was printed in manuals (at least in one of my copies).

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Relationships might have gone sour?
Taking in to account that LL's name was removed from atomic maps and replaced with randy's RSP signiature, this comes as no surprise..

That does stink though ;)
A very petty thing to go ahead and erase original creators like that.

User is offline   Perro Seco 

Some art from LameDuke:

Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   HMNuke93 

I just discovered that the Japanese version of Duke Nukem Total Meltdown is heavily censored.

This tile for example replaces the "bleached blonde" poster in duke3d:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by HMNuke93: 11 November 2016 - 03:24 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

I believe some lines are also censored in the Japanese version, someone here posted a video a while ago and the first one-liner in Hollywood Holocaust was censored.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostHMNuke93, on 11 November 2016 - 03:23 PM, said:

I just discovered that the Japanese version of Duke Nukem Total Meltdown is heavily censored.

Posted Image

Yeah, sure, a reference to a Nazi propaganda film is a great replacement for that poster :mellow:

User is offline   Darkus 

View PostHMNuke93, on 11 November 2016 - 03:23 PM, said:

Posted Image

Interesting, I'll have to take a closer look at this version...

User is offline   NNC 

What are these japanese people smoking? They ban half naked girls from their games, but shooting mosters' heads are OK? Seriously japs, get some sense.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 12 November 2016 - 03:58 PM

User is offline   Sanek 

On the behalf of Duke's 20th Aniversary, I want to make a little post which will be relevant to this theard. :mellow:
After spending last night by reading this theard, playing lameduke and some of the betas, my opinion about the final game grew more than ever. Most of us probably don't realise that we've got probably one of the best FPS's ever made! Sure, when we launch Duke almost every day our initial opinion will diminish rapidly and Duke3d will become a routine. Like the rest of you, I'm just as interested in the original concept - all the robots, weapons, space stations, futuristic cities and coca cola cans. But let's be honest - if Lameduke was somehow finished and released as Duke Nukem 3D, it will go pretty much unnoticed and fade into oblivion very fast. Just imagine - there will be no forums, no sites and user maps that we made over all these years! I have nothing against Lameduke enemies and levels, but there's just no atmosphere that made the final DN3D so cool and iconic. Lameduke is just a 3D version of the previous 2D games, somehow mixed with TekWar and Doom-engine shooters set in space. I feel some strange feel of nostalgia, through - thanks to Rise of the Triad soundtrack in the background and those generic 90s shooters feel. It's sad that most of the pre-release content is collecting dust somewhere in 3DRealms vaults (or Scott Miller's attic lol), because I would like to have a clear look on the aliens we saw on the promo materials.

And so, the developers was trying to make the coolest game possible and I think they pretty much achieved it. We take the original game for granted, but If you're a mapper my advice to you is to replay the original game and analyse every level of it, and if you somehow care about layout, design and progression, you'll find out that the original maps, despite very basic design, is better than 99% of the user maps released today(even great ones!), with all of it's fancy spritework and architecture. You can't ask for a better thing. What we've got in the end is the best version of Duke Nukem 3D ever, with the best maps ever, still fresh and interesting 20 years later. Long live Duke Nukem! :)

This post has been edited by Sanek: 13 November 2016 - 09:58 AM

User is offline   Kawa 

Well, it is LameDuke...

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

LD does show that ton of effort that was behind d3d is largely unseen. They really had radically different directions and ideas during development.
I disagree with it not working as they had some really memorable stuff in store like the rooftop battle with the helicopter and whatnot, would have just been a very different experience.
These are kind of hard to compare since most of the design elements evolved through iterative design, some of the most memorable EP2 levels (dark side for example) actually got designed pretty early on and space stuff in general has a lot more of the "classic" feel to it. So much of the stuff simply evolved over time so had they got as much time with LD, things could be very different too.

When I have more time again, I really want to do a mini-episode series with stuff from lameduke tuned up. EP2 has some of the first levels that got started and first "story" bits water / nuclear reactor / bats / army guy and early city designs. There are couple of other snippets that could be restored rather faithfully. Loads of other cool stuff but would require too much fanfiction to fill in the parts.
These wouldn't be user maps but actual modifications instead due to major differences in weapon balancing / running speed and whatnot.

User is offline   Darkus 

Going back to the Japanese censored PSX version:

The new movie:
Posted Image

Replacement screens. I though it was an emulation bug on the left one, but it's probably a glitch. Note that you can't broke them.
Posted Image

Much censoring. Very Edited. Also the 'exotica' poster the replaces the 'hot hot hot' one.
Posted Image

Of course, some of Duke's quotes have been rerecorded badly edited:

- Those aliens are gonna pay for shooting down my ride

- So many aliens, so few butts

- Your face, your face, whats the difference?

- It's time to beat butts and chew bubblegum...

I'll try to rip the tiles, there's probably more censored stuff.

User is offline   jet_nick 

View PostDarkus, on 15 November 2016 - 06:37 AM, said:

The new movie:
Posted Image

Replacement screens. I though it was an emulation bug on the left one, but it's probably a glitch. Note that you can't broke them.
Posted Image

Much censoring. Very Edited. Also the 'exotica' poster the replaces the 'hot hot hot' one.
Posted Image

i ' am so curious to see that cinema animation with duke's face

User is offline   Jolteon 

Posted Image

I wonder if the one on the left was the Title screen, for it does look like it. But it's probably messed up because the Title Screen uses a Different Palette than the one in game. Like for example here's what the Title Screen from Duke 3D would look like in that room.

Attached Image: capt0062.png

Probably not as messed up as the one above but it's still messed up. It's just my guess though.

This post has been edited by Jolteon: 15 November 2016 - 08:26 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

That wouldn't be the case. The image format in Total Meltdown is very different (no such a thing as the title screen using another palette). Plus the there's no tile for the title screen like in the PC...

User is offline   Darkus 

It's a different tile than the title screen. I got the image with the correct colors, it's also animated. And found the censored 'sister act' poster replacement.

I made a quick playtrough, and I found that they removed all of the womens (strippers, slimed womens etc...), I mean that they're even not in the VRAM, that mean they're completely erased.
They also removed some gore effects in some maps; E3L1 for example.
Posted Image

Some other actors like the doomed spacemarine are also deleted (they forgot to remove the one-liner, haha)

Strange thing that they left the ending movies in all their glory.
The E3L4 'wink women' and the 'Alley Cat Lounge' signboard have not changed also.

However, they changed Luke into a piece of meat:
Posted Image

And also this:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Darkus: 15 November 2016 - 02:59 PM

User is offline   Fox 

Posted Image Posted Image

User is offline   Jolteon 

My bad. I thought that it was the title screen. I wonder why it was glitched like that. Also I like that pig movie poster though :mellow: . (Despite never playing this version, I remember seeing the pig picture somewhere before though.)

User is offline   Fox 

It's clearly the PSX title screen. However that's weird, since in the PSX version the TV is playing the same movie as the theater.

The Magnum P.I.G. poster is a scan from the strategy guide.

This post has been edited by Fox: 15 November 2016 - 07:03 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Remade the Triumph of the Duke poster in a 3DR style (in the Duke3D palette) for fun. Will do the Deconstructing Piggy one once someone rips it.

Posted Image

User is offline   jet_nick 

The new movie:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

there is a possibility to extract these New Arts?

User is offline   Darkus 

View Postjet_nick, on 16 November 2016 - 04:03 AM, said:

there is a possibility to extract these New Arts?

Already done.

Not really censoring but a regional difference, if you can spot it:

Posted Image

Answer:
Spoiler

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Here's everything extracted from the Duke Nukem Mobile game. I didn't realize it'd be this easy when I wanted to take a look at it.

Art included as .PCX with a few .TGA tiles. All audio .WAV except for the music as .XM.

Would be fun to reverse engineer the level file format, too (.xff). I'd love to see a re-creation in EDuke32.

Some examples of files included:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Daedolon: 16 November 2016 - 04:51 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostDarkus, on 16 November 2016 - 04:28 AM, said:

Not really censoring but a regional difference, if you can spot it:

*Image of DNTM-J statistics screen*

Answer:
Spoiler

You know, all Japanese/Asia-region PSX games(most likely even all of PlayStation series are the same) used O as confirmed, and X as cancel, because their(symbols) directly means for them("O" means right. yes, "X" means wrong, no), so I don't think it's something very big deal. :mellow:

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 16 November 2016 - 05:15 AM

User is offline   The Kins 

View PostPlayer Lin, on 16 November 2016 - 05:12 AM, said:

You know, all Japanese/Asia-region PSX games(most likely even all of PlayStation series are the same) used O as confirmed, and X as cancel, because their(symbols) directly means for them("O" means right. yes, "X" means wrong, no), so I don't think it's something very big deal. :mellow:
Yeah, a circle is the Japanese equivalent of a tick.

Posted Image

I believe this is handled at the OS level in the PS3 and 4, but feel free to correct me on that.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostNancsi, on 12 November 2016 - 03:57 PM, said:

What are these japanese people smoking? They ban half naked girls from their games, but shooting mosters' heads are OK? Seriously japs, get some sense.

Isn't it funny and ironic how absolutely the same shit happens to US right now? To the point that no sex allowed in almost every game (especially Japanese game) but violence is absolutely fine. "Seriously mericunts, get some sense!"

Anyway, I don't think the problem was Japan in case of TM censorship, not even Sony perhaps wanted to censor it (you could easily find lewd games in Japan for many platforms at those times, not just PSone), it's actually surprising that they left violence in, for example, that blood on walls mechanic especially was really great and not many games have it even to this day.

TM was an exception because it was and still is exactly opposite, sexual stuff is more acceptable than violence in video games to this day. The best example is MK series. Have you played Mega Drive version, you probably know about secret cheat code to enable blood and Japanese version had no such code.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I think it might have been an attempt to market the game to younger players. It appears to me that traditional Japanese culture is very modest, not so much in a Christian way but a "there's a time and place" kind of way, but it doesn't really care about violence. Thats just my analysis though.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Yeah, I had exactly the same impression. But still, it was quite surprising. Good thing they didn't remove violence, everything about Duke was great.

Share this topic:

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options