Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

User is offline   Lunick 

I want to see the original It's Impossible before Randy Pitchford touched it :mellow:

User is offline   NNC 

View PostLunick, on 12 November 2016 - 10:57 PM, said:

I want to see the original It's Impossible before Randy Pitchford touched it :mellow:

Honestly, the whole level looks like his work. Impossible, Area 51 and Queen could be a nice miniepisode for the game, and no matter how much you people hate the guy, these maps are very good, and gave the heart of the special "Birth" atmosphere. The other maps, some of which are indeed better than Randy's look more like Schrapnel City part 2.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 13 November 2016 - 12:13 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

You can really tell Randy had some influence considering Episode 4 took the whole "parody" aspect of Duke to the next level, arguably a level too far.

User is offline   HMNuke93 

I miss him :mellow:

Posted Image

Is that fan-made? I found an animated one elsewhere online,

Posted Image

Oh wait, someone posted it earlier in the thread. Woops.

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 13 November 2016 - 05:24 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostPikaCommando, on 13 November 2016 - 05:20 PM, said:

Oh wait, someone posted it earlier in the thread. Woops.

I posted that.

Anyway, I am tiring of all the "gimme gimme gimme" in this thread. Most of it is innocent; some of it is annoying.

Here's a transparent version.

Posted Image

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

View PostHendricks266, on 13 November 2016 - 05:25 PM, said:

I posted that.

Anyway, I am tiring of all the "gimme gimme gimme" in this thread. Most of it is innocent; some of it is annoying.

Probably because people were already wanting to see some of this old assets in the past before Interceptor and 3D Realms teased them and had their hopes dashed into the wind along with Randy Pitchfords charisma.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

That would make a fitting World Tour boss. Two rocket launchers... two flamethrowers.

It would still be pretty pathetic since rockets and flamethrowers are pretty easy to dodge. The crotch cannons should be hitscan to amp up the difficulty so this Overlord's movesets becomes a cross between the Cycloid and the Battlelord.

Speaking of hitscan, would Liztroops be harder if they used Duke's pistol like they did as Troopers? They hit instantaneously and are fired more frequently, but I'm not sure about the damage and accuracy.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostPikaCommando, on 13 November 2016 - 05:44 PM, said:

Here's a transparent version.

Posted Image

Posted Image

View PostHendricks266, on 13 November 2016 - 05:25 PM, said:

I posted that.

Yeah, how terribly unreasonable of people to want something they were told they would get, something that they had waited years for. Ha, what a bunch of selfish, inconsiderate dick heads.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMicky C, on 13 November 2016 - 12:26 AM, said:

You can really tell Randy had some influence considering Episode 4 took the whole "parody" aspect of Duke to the next level, arguably a level too far.

I'm not too sure Pitchford was doing anything other than what he was being told to do at the time since he was all new in the company.

My guess about the extra humour put in The Birth would be that it was still apparent that people loved the humour and the sex in the original game, so they decided to concentrate on that.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostHendricks266, on 22 April 2014 - 04:00 AM, said:

(images of Duke Nukem 3D item voxels)

It has always seemed logical to me if Duke3D had an engine update to add Shadow Warrior features like voxel items, bullet casings and air/boss health meters (and possibly transparent water sometimes?). Could these items be of any indication to such plans? Or do they belong to an earlier development period?

On another note, I remember an unreleased Duke3D shareware v1.4 being mentioned in this thread. A while ago, when playing around with the Mac demo versions of the game, I realised that the Mac demo GRP's contents are generally similar to those of the shareware version GRP (sounds, textures etc.), except there's no MIDI music, only the first three levels, and the menu font is from the Atomic Edition. Curiously, no "Atomic Edition" logo is present for either the title screen or the in-game menu. I wonder if the Mac demo GRP was derived from this unreleased v1.4 shareware version?

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Isn't Shadow Warrior and Blood older than DN3D in terms of development? I know DN3D came out first, but I am pretty sure SW was started around 1994, and Blood was originally going to be something called Horror 3D.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

^Duke 3D was in production during '94. LameDuke is a build from December of that year. If there had been a LameWang(lol) taken at that time, I don't know if it would've been as close to the final product(judging from the earliest screenshots).

Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I'm not even convinced those images from that early on were of anything actually playable, per se. More likely staged/mocked up graphics in an early version of the engine.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Those screenshots look very old compared to the earliest screenshots of Duke 3d. That dragon even looks like its head is in a different, more EGA styled palette than its body. I understand each game has its own art direction, but that looks way different than later shots, and seems to be an entire different game that has nothing to do with the later versions of the game, as this one seems to be set in a more Samurai/Ninja setting and not involve guns, the modern world, or anything of the sort.

This post has been edited by Tristan: 07 December 2016 - 11:18 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Looks like all the early assets were pixel art drawn by hand, while the final product was slightly touched up captures of 3D models.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

All of that stuff was obviously staged, even the Lameduke splash screen during load has a bunch of stuff happening that hasn't even been coded in.

Not to mention Duke3d promo snaps that have all been staged, proven too.

This post has been edited by oasiz: 08 December 2016 - 07:21 AM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostCommando Nukem, on 07 December 2016 - 10:39 PM, said:

I'm not even convinced those images from that early on were of anything actually playable, per se. More likely staged/mocked up graphics in an early version of the engine.

Those screenshots look staged, but the build is playable.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostHendricks266, on 08 December 2016 - 11:07 AM, said:

Huh, very interesting.

View PostHendricks266, on 08 December 2016 - 11:07 AM, said:

How does the dragon work?

• Weaponized Autism

I don't think it does. There is only one frame.

User is offline   Perro Seco 

I found this in an old thread. It may be interesting for those who haven't seen it yet:

The interesting parts are at 09:01, 13:18 and 14:44. They're playing a later build of the 1995/05/07 version.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I compared that one with the 1995 autodemo that was posted some time ago and the levels match.

Only real difference with this one is that they added tripmines and some sort of debug mode possibly since it doesn't always trip the laser. Level layout is the same otherwise.

User is offline   Sanek 

I know that this topic is dedicated to offical material, but this might be interesting to those who interested in betas. :lol:

This post has been edited by Sanek: 12 December 2016 - 05:02 AM

View PostSanek, on 12 December 2016 - 05:01 AM, said:

I know that this topic is dedicated to offical material, but this might be interesting to those who interested in betas. :lol:

Forgive my lack of attention to detail, but what's the difference between 1995 space maps (Mrr Caliber?) and Lunar Apocalypse? I know most of the layouts are scrapped, but they all look the same to me.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

GBX doesn't own Shadow Warrior and its betas haven't been released.

Stop hording my Jewels :lol:

This post has been edited by Robman: 12 December 2016 - 08:51 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

*hoarding

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options