• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

User is offline   Kralex 

• Removed

I liked the new episode! Played it twice! The Egypt level and the golden gate bridge definitely both stand out! The new enemy and weapon are both pretty un-fun, unfortunately. The firefly was mercifully barely used, I think they knew how awkward and cruddy it was. I'm wondering is the Firefly's walk cycle so janky looking because of the nature of those old beta sprites, or is it just aligned kinda poorly?

User is offline   Lunick 

I think it might just be aligned poorly
Posted Image

The new episode has completely blown me away, on the final level now. I'm enjoying the Hollywood shootathon, but I think of this level as a victory lap either way (since I heard it's one of the least fav maps). Loved rocking these maps, Paris is so nice I played it twice, just awesome fun maps all around. For me, I'd say World Tour is a glorious triumph of the king. Didn't know this existed a couple months ago, now we've got this beautiful new piece of Duke 3D canon.

One of my fav Duke lines here is "Are you crazy, is that your problem?" from Big Trouble in Little China, classic. ;)

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I want to add that I really like the Gearbox splash screen when you start the game up; of course I'd rather it said 3DRealms, but it looks great!

User is offline   Kralex 

• Removed

Oh wow, the Liztroop on the toilet gag survived both iterations of the creature! It must have been in there for a while!

User is offline   Lunick 

Hi

(Yes Jarmo, I messed up the audio again, sue me)

Edit:
Spoiler

User is offline   Lee Jackson 

• Composer

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 12 October 2016 - 09:01 PM, said:

Paris is so nice I played it twice ...

With the music on? I'll let you know, the music for the Paris level (Paris Manson) was one of the most difficult tracks in the whole game to get right. You'd be shocked at how many plugins, virtual instruments, drum kits (yes, there's more than one drummer), and channel strips I had to employ to get the right sound. I'd tweak one area and something would sound wrong somewhere else. It was a beast of a song to pull off.

User is offline   Kralex 

• Removed

View PostLunick, on 12 October 2016 - 09:21 PM, said:

Hi

(Yes Jarmo, I messed up the audio again, sue me)

Edit:
Spoiler

Oh snap!! Why couldn't they spend the tiny amount of time you took to make that to make the Firefly's animations that smooth?

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostKralex, on 12 October 2016 - 11:21 PM, said:

Oh snap!! Why couldn't they spend the tiny amount of time you took to make that to make the Firefly's animations that smooth?

To be fair, I just replaced all the Assault Trooper tiles. The Firefly's tiles in tiles20.art are laid out in the same way as the Assault Trooper's though so I don't know what went wrong...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

They didn't give them proper alignments. They don't know how BUILD works.

View PostLunick, on 12 October 2016 - 07:58 PM, said:

http://steamcommunit...92787750610705/

Faces of Death is now accessible in The Abyss and has a nuke button placed in it
Posted Image

The secret exit to it is of course the old DM exit.

This means that you can essentially play episode 1 forever in an endless Abyss/Faces of Death loop.

It also seems like they fixed that you can get from episode 2 into E3L1 through using the DM exit in Overlord. Whether that was intentional or not is another question.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 13 October 2016 - 12:11 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostRobman, on 12 October 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

Teehee... on another note, I definitely value Methy's opinion.

You shouldn't.

As for best Egypt maps...

View PostHendricks266, on 12 October 2016 - 02:12 PM, said:

Overall, I envision a set of files that you drop into your World Tour directory along with EDuke32 so that you can run both ports side by side, ideally without any modifications to WT data. I would not feel comfortable redistributing anything more from WT than the text from locale/english/strings.txt paired with the right commands as normally found in USER.CON. I will write a script to accomplish this.

I don't understand why not have EDuke32 detect if you have WT installed somewhere else on your computer already like for Megaton, is it for conveniency because Megaton was a 'clean' install with just GRP files while for WT you need lot's of loose files which are all over the place?

View PostNightFright, on 12 October 2016 - 12:57 PM, said:

So far, I can't say that I am blown away, but it's still entertaining. Surely, the maps are not as complex as I would have expected. It's nothing that an average community mapper couldn't come up with in a rather short period of time.

This, and this exactly the issue here. There are probably lot's of reasons to it, but most of these maps feel like an average usermap. It's like, just like so many (user)mappers, they got lost into the possibilities of the engine when you don't have to care about performance, and the result creates tons of issues which are common to usermaps and which were hardly ever the case in the original game. For instance having tons of sprites for decoration, and having some of those block the player movement or block shots during gameplay. This is just an example, but basically the reason I was disappointed is exactly because those are merely usermaps, and average ones at that because other usermappers got 20 years to get good at that sort of style, and instead I was hoping they'd be back to show everyone how FPS level design of that time really was.

View PostNightFright, on 12 October 2016 - 12:57 PM, said:

There are some nice ideas occasionally (like what happens in the Amsterdam level), but mostly the maps live from their settings. The London map didn't really convince me, it felt a bit cold and generic. From the first four maps, the Egypt level was certainly the best so far.

Issue with the drug trip though is that it was done already in MRCK's Happy Hangover, and it was done a hell of a lot better at that.
Although the main issue I have with the drug trip is that almost everything about it is built like for an usermap, like using custom palettes, having arbitrary invisible walls block the couch because the effect requires them to turn around, etc The pro way of doing this, the way you'd expect the game's own devs to do rather than usermappers, would be not to use old effects in non-intended ways but instead to create new effects.
This is the same reason why I'm pissed at the coffee shop, which has a non working table soccer and old 1.3 plant sprite pass up as weed. They had a team of coders and artists for them out there, they should have created a table soccer from scratch, and a functionnal one for interactivity, and have them draw an actual new sprite for weed.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 13 October 2016 - 12:32 AM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostHulkNukem, on 12 October 2016 - 09:02 PM, said:

I want to add that I really like the Gearbox splash screen when you start the game up; of course I'd rather it said 3DRealms, but it looks great!

At least the left the 3DR-Demolition sign in Red Light District in. ;)

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 13 October 2016 - 12:39 AM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

View PostHendricks266, on 12 October 2016 - 02:12 PM, said:

[...]
I need to figure out why these Oggs cause problems. They don't cause a crash or a conventional infinite loop as far as I can tell. Reencoding lossy audio is a sin. ;)
[...]

The crashes are definitely caused by the OGGs (using eduke32_win64_20161009-5888). As soon as you resample them to quality level 3 (I know, I shouldn't do it - it's just for testing purposes), the crashes disappear. I remember that EDuke32 used to have similar issues in the past (such as here or here). Maybe investigating the fixes applied back then could lead to a solution.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It has been reported elsewhere that you can remove the LOOP tags to stop the crashing. It may also work to replace them with LOOP_START. Failing that, try removing the Vorbis Comment tags altogether.

I am working on assembling my package as I write this.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View Postfuegerstef, on 13 October 2016 - 12:39 AM, said:

At least the left the 3DR-Demolition sign in Red Light District in. :dukewhistle:

Looks like they didn't touch every artworks related 3DRealms mock signs, I load E3L5 and I see those "3DRealms Studio" signs. :D

But yeah, that intro is so cool. Too bad it's Gearbox not 3DRealms anymore. ;)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 13 October 2016 - 03:03 AM

View PostMetHy, on 12 October 2016 - 12:06 PM, said:

They really fucked up with the workshop.

For the uploader to work you need to rename it to duke3D.exe and pretend to launch the game through Steam. I think they just 'forgot' to add an option to launch the workshop when you launch the game.

As for the uploader : you can only submit map files. That's it. Not even music.

I honestly don't know if I'll bother.

At 1st I didn't understand your directions (I was exhausted from upgrading my level all night), but after some sleep I got it to work.

Thanks heaps ;)

This post has been edited by Captain Massive: 13 October 2016 - 05:02 AM

GameSpot Review

GameSpot gave Duke Nukem 3D: World Tour a 5/10, not an 8.8/10. Get your facts right, Gearbox!

View PostAdrenalinDragon, on 13 October 2016 - 04:28 AM, said:

GameSpot Review

GameSpot gave Duke Nukem 3D: World Tour a 5/10, not an 8.8/10. Get your facts right, Gearbox!

8.8 is the score they gave the original DN3D.

Are trailers lying about review score liable to be sued?

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 13 October 2016 - 04:58 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I doubt it, it's common practice that re-releases advertise the scores of the original game.

View PostAdrenalinDragon, on 13 October 2016 - 04:28 AM, said:

GameSpot Review

Wow, that review is terrible. It talked down the game for all the wrong reasons. Namely that the art is low-res and therefore automatically ugly. He also talked about how the levels are far too maze-like, and that even the new episode is a labyrinth. I take it from those here who have played it that it's relatively linear? According to the reviewer, Duke 3D is a great example for seeing how far level design has come over the last 20 years. Naturally a straight path with cutscenes everywhere is the pinnacle of gameplay.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 13 October 2016 - 05:06 AM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

It's Gamespot, did anyone really expect them to do a good review?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

can't say i'm not jealous, despite a lot of negative comments.
i'll just have to wait a couple weeks until it turns into abandonware, or when I can get it for pennies on the dollar.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

You may not have to worry, Forge. If I am reading this properly, according to the license distributed with the game, it can be legally shared. In fact it seems the IP practically becomes public domain, considering what it says.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 13 October 2016 - 05:49 AM

Steam you can share between friends family my oldest son 18 has several games shared to my account.

Edit: some wont share like max payne 3.

Edit Edit: could be limited to same PC I don't recall.

This post has been edited by Captain Massive: 13 October 2016 - 06:23 AM

I just listened to the E4L1 developer commentary and didn't expect that to come through to the final product. Basically Levelord and Blum are both criticizing Pitchford's level design quite a few times - the lighting in a few rooms, the size of the stalls and doors in the bathroom and the ending which was designed to "kill the player, not challenge him".

This post has been edited by December Man: 13 October 2016 - 06:19 AM

View PostDecember Man, on 13 October 2016 - 06:19 AM, said:

I just listened to the E4L1 developer commentary and didn't expect that to come through to the final product. Basically Levelord and Blum are both criticizing Pitchford's level design quite a few times - the lighting in a few rooms, the size of the stalls and doors in the bathroom and the ending which was designed to "kill the player, not challenge him".

Randy is what I call a Hard too like Person

• The Truth is in here

Wait... then it would have been enough if one of us had bought WT and then uploaded it for everyone (and even that one buyer has been ripped off, then, for he/she should have been able to get the game for free)? xD

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostFox, on 13 October 2016 - 05:45 AM, said:

You may not have to worry, Forge. If I am reading this properly, according to the license distributed with the game, it can be legally shared. In fact it seems the IP practically becomes public domain, considering what it says.

maybe I won't have to wait until christmas, it'll be abandonware by halloween.

it's cool. I'm more curious than desperate to play it. I 'm patient.

This post has been edited by Forge: 13 October 2016 - 06:35 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostFox, on 13 October 2016 - 05:45 AM, said:

That's... amazing. How could this be?

View PostDecember Man, on 13 October 2016 - 06:19 AM, said:

And you know that's the issue here. If anything it should have been Randy talking in this level, instead we get "devs commentary" by those who didn't make this level, might as well be anyone.
Also, I seem to recall TerminX saying that in the DN3D betas he found an old version of Mission Improbable. Meaning that the map is based on a scrapped beta map (=not by Randy), but there is nothing about that here. Nothing to learn about the map, either.

And that sadly summarizes most of the dev commentary, not much interesting there, just dudes recording themselves chill while playing the game most of the time.

There are some interesting bits in New World Order commentary though, I find it funny how they actually use the commentary as a mean to either give hint to the player on what to do and where to go; or to explain some level design ideas, which, if they need explaining at all, just shows that they don't work well (for instance : the "DO NOT CROSS" sign and the secondary path in the Paris map, or the bloody footsprints at the end of the same map as a hint which they felt needed explaining).
When making a map, if there is something that occurs to you that may be an issue, I have learnt that the issue will be true for some players. So if any thought like that crosses your mind while mapping/testing, you should fix it rather than reject it to the back of your mind as a "maybe/maybe not". These commentaries prove that it occured to them some level design ideas may not work, but that they didn't do anything about it, and for me some of these things did seem like they didn't work very well before I even heard the commentary.

Blum mentions an EDuke32 TROR version of the San Francisco bridge map though, which is something I'd like to see.

Meanwhile, another glitch with this Firefly not getting hit by hitscan weapons and not firing back at me:

This post has been edited by MetHy: 13 October 2016 - 06:52 AM

• The Truth is in here

LOL, that's almost the way it behaves in EDuke32 right now. But I believe in the end, EDuke32 will have a properly working version faster than the WT port.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by NightFright: 13 October 2016 - 07:00 AM

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options