• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostPikaCommando, on 12 October 2016 - 04:01 AM, said:

How's the multiplayer bots?

Not amazing, I've only played Hollywood Holocaust (they all kept spawning in the theater room) and Stadium. If they are anything like the Duke64 bots, they won't traverse the maps that much, which is why I suspect they just kept respawning in the theater in HH

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostTrooper Dan, on 11 October 2016 - 10:50 AM, said:

Is it wrong that I don't really care about this game, even though modding Duke 3D has been my main hobby for the last 10 years of my life?

Nahh same here, not 10 years though.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostAdrenalinDragon, on 12 October 2016 - 05:29 AM, said:

MetHy, did you complete the Rome Secret Level? I think that might be my favourite level of the new episode. It'll be interesting to see what you would rank them. I don't think I'd give a single level in this episode a 10/10 rating, sadly ;)

Just beat it now, thanks. Well, I played every level on CGS, pistol start; and Rome was the only level which had some serious issue regarding weapon/ammo supplies, only at the end when you use the red keycard it spawns tons of supplies except everyone's dead so you don't need it anymore.

Also the level lacks shading, severely. Also, putting stayput BLord likes that is always trouble because you can be sure he's going to spend at least one third of its time walking toward the invisible wall instead of shooting.

I liked the layout idea but I think it could have been executed better. For instance, there is something wrong with the huge crack that connects the upper arena with the room with the mini-Overlord and Octobrains. For one thing, it seems to be a waaay longer fall than it should be; and also there seemed to be an Octobrain stucked in there so I took the jetpack to check it out; and right around where there is a secret atomic health, it's actually the "teleport" point between the 2 areas, and well, that seems to be a pretty bad place to put the atomic health considering that trying to get it I got stuck at the bottom of the "upper area", the teleporting didn't occur and the Octobrain was stuck there as well.

IMO Egypt level is definitely the best by far. The rest I don't know, but I'd probably rank Red Ruckus and the Hollywood level last.

BTW - is there supposed to be an ending or something when you beat the end boss in Hollywood? I didn't get anything, which seemed pretty lame.

One last thing : does the workshop uploader program work for anyone?

This post has been edited by MetHy: 12 October 2016 - 06:04 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

There was supposed to be a pic of Duke roasting alien balls over a fire; you didn't miss out on much.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

@ Lee Jackson:

The new renderings of the original Duke3D soundtracks are fantastic. I have heard quite a few versions of it throughout the years (who hasn't), but this one sounds as articulated and "definitive" as it can possibly get. This is the quality level of the soundtrack we had always hoped for since 1996. MIDI sounded differently for many of us due to different synthesizers, but these tracks are awesome to listen to for everybody! There's only MusicallyInspired's SC-55 music pack which can get at least remotely close to this. I cannot say anything about the new tracks yet since I cannot play the new episode before tonight and I don't want to ruin the surprise/experience.

I wished we were able to make these tracks available to everybody, not only those who bought World Tour, but I doubt it's legally possible. Anyway, great job, Lee, and I hope it wasn't the last time you contributed to a Duke project!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 12 October 2016 - 06:43 AM

One cool thing that would come out of this is if there will be a way to add our own Commentaries in our own levels with the World Tour icons. Maybe that could also be implemented in EDuke32 perhaps?

User is offline   MetHy 

I was thinking there was a lack of ambient sounds in the new episode (even when there is some, like with the computers at the end of Red Ruckus, it's very faint and low and only one of the computer sets seemed to have it) and this might be the reason:

2nd video, only check the end at 37 secs onward, I couldn't be arsed to edit it

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm all over this saying negative things. I did somewhat enjoy the new episode overall, even though I felt like only Mirrage Barrage was truely good and I was hoping every level would be at least on par with that, but it's just that there are WAY too many technical issues here, whether they are programming or level design flaws. When we can play this in EDuke32 it should at least fix the issues on the programming side (such as the fucked up enemies aiming which is just unacceptable).

This post has been edited by MetHy: 12 October 2016 - 07:35 AM

User is offline   Doomfrost 

I wish I had a reason to buy this game, but I already own the GoG version and Megaton. The new stuff doesn't compel me enough to purchase.

• The Truth is in here

Is it true that Randy stated they didn't include the addons with World Tour since they are not 20 years old and therefore don't belong into a 20th anniversary edition of the game? In that case, I would like him to explain why a brand-new episode was included then...

User is offline   HulkNukem 

If that was the case, then technically The Birth shouldn't have been included yet either

I hear Alien World Order is incredibly (unfair?) hard, even more so than The Birth. I was planning to do a playthrough on Come Get Some or Damn I'm Good on it, but now it just sounds impossible.

Also, is there a demo-recording system and does it lag when recording with Fraps at 60fps?

Want unfair try this on Come Get Some. (Maybe the 1st World Tour user map with the new weapon, enemies and some of the new textures/sprites.

;) Moontang - Brig it on, Download Link :D

Updated with Demo cams some minor fixes & World Tour version

Since we cannot upload workshop yet just download one the 3 maps there and open its folder should look something like

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\434050\779390243"

And rename MoontangWT.map to that maps name and replace it. I used 2STORY.map and replaced that to test and make changes since the renderer is different.

Unfortunately I could not get the music to work.

And for goodness sake run it in polymer mode for EDuke32 it has no lag anyways.

There 2 maps in the file Moontang.map is for Eduke32 only MoontangWT.map is for World Tour only.

This post has been edited by Captain Massive: 12 October 2016 - 08:15 AM

I finished Alien World Order, L.A. Meltdown and half of Lunar Apocalypse.

AWO overall was fantastic.

My main problems were:
SFX quality
Final boss in AWO
Technical problems with some of the sounds aside from the quality (like the one MetHy just posted)

Though all of this should be easily fixable. I hope they will. As for the new recordings of Duke: I stand by what I said a couple of weeks ago - most of them are fine, some of the sound exactly the same as the originals. Unfortunately, some of them are stretched out too much (primary offenders: "Groovy", "Ooh, that's gotta hurt"), but it isn't that much of a problem. Some are spoken in the same exact tone (though the originals were guilty of this too). However, the worst are the pain sounds etc. - the "gasping for air" one sounds as if Jon wanted to spit out phlegm or was chocking on something that definitely wasn't water.

Overall, was it worth it? Yes, but that's considering they fix the technical issues.

User is offline   Jolteon 

I've played through the new levels with a friend on the ps4. I actually enjoyed the new levels, and the new music is great too ;) . I also liked the new Firefly enemy but I thought there would have been more of them, however I didn't really liked the way they die (Them exploding instead of leaving a corpse). As for the new boss, I will agree that the new boss is pathetic. Since his attack is only a flamethrower that you can stand back to avoid. (Although I notice he can fire the incinerator fireballs when up close but it still useless). Also if playing the zoo usermap from the workshop, he can fall in the water, and is useless completely.

Attached Image: cycloid1.png

As for the incinerator, well it's okay but it's a modified freezer sprite. I did noticed it leaves behind a lava pool which can hurt yourself and from I heard from my friend it can also hurt him even if friendly fire is off. I will also agree that the sounds were off too.

I did enjoyed world tour a bit, but it does have flaws though.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostPikaCommando, on 12 October 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

I hear Alien World Order is incredibly (unfair?) hard, even more so than The Birth. I was planning to do a playthrough on Come Get Some or Damn I'm Good on it, but now it just sounds impossible.

Nah, it's totally fine. I Played every level pistol start on CGS and the only one I had issues with was the Rome level due to being really tight on ammo.

The fire gun is overpowered in my opinion, uses very little ammo and carries a ton.

Sure it can hurt you, but so can the ice gun and every explosive.

User is offline   Player Lin 

I try to avoid about what Randy Pitchfork did said because I'm afraid my head will be exploded when try to process his shit. ;)

--

Well the WT port just OK, the weapon selection wheel(?) just sucks ass, slow, not immediate...new renderer effects just looks weird on some cases, and the lighting made me remembered how shitty of original first version of HL2's HDR was(and even worse, none of options to tweak them at all, just ON and OFF)...also made me wish I can play the new levels with eduke32 for some reasons...
Also, looks like if I cheat(I use DN* codes), the rewind function was not working anymore when my Duke dies, until I restart the level again(it'll save into savegames too).

The new episode just mix bag...the Egypt level is best one I guess, and the secret level just needed some balance changes or something...the final map and BOSS just meh, worst level + new boss ever. But most other levels just not so interesting, I was expected they would be more better...

The new new fire-thrower just has too much ammo and not easy to use, the new enemies feel overpowered and hard to aim when it's flying(RPG is best weapon to deal with them)...music just so great I don't need to say more. Sound just merely OK for me and some new one-lines just sounds not right but I can accept them after I actually heard them...I'm not disappoint, just feel some laziness and rush works...if there will more official levels I hope they can do better ones, at least like the Egypt level one.

User is offline   Shaq Fu 

Remember this thread with the high-quality sounds for Duke 3D?

https://forums.duke4...m-3d-hq-sounds/

I grabbed the files and converted them to .ogg for use in Duke 3D World Tour.

https://puu.sh/rGA0u/077cae6ef0.zip <- Download link right here -- put the .ogg files in your sound folder and you should be good to go!

The pistol is still low quality unfortunately.

View PostShaq Fu, on 12 October 2016 - 08:40 AM, said:

Remember this thread with the high-quality sounds for Duke 3D?

https://forums.duke4...m-3d-hq-sounds/

I grabbed the files and converted them to .ogg for use in Duke 3D World Tour.

https://puu.sh/rGA0u/077cae6ef0.zip <- Download link right here -- put the .ogg files in your sound folder and you should be good to go!

The pistol is still low quality unfortunately.

These sound good, just listened to them in an audio player. Seems to not have the pistol firing sound, the main one I'd want to replace. Anybody have a good audio file lying around of say the PSX Total Meltdown pistol sound, and would it need to be converted to .ogg at a certain bitrate or frequency to work in World Tour? I was using this thing freeac (audio convertor) a while ago to get various sound files to work on eduke.

By the way, anybody know where the exit to the secret level is in World Tour's new episode, wanna make sure to play that. (edit: ah I see on the previous page, groovy)

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 12 October 2016 - 09:12 AM

User is offline   Lee Jackson 

• Composer

View PostNightFright, on 12 October 2016 - 06:36 AM, said:

@ Lee Jackson:

The new renderings of the original Duke3D soundtracks are fantastic. I have heard quite a few versions of it throughout the years (who hasn't), but this one sounds as articulated and "definitive" as it can possibly get. This is the quality level of the soundtrack we had always hoped for since 1996. MIDI sounded differently for many of us due to different synthesizers, but these tracks are awesome to listen to for everybody! There's only MusicallyInspired's SC-55 music pack which can get at least remotely close to this. I cannot say anything about the new tracks yet since I cannot play the new episode before tonight and I don't want to ruin the surprise/experience.

Thank you, and thanks to Roland/Edirol's Mighty SC-88Pro which made the renderings possible! I made doubly sure that I was capturing the true, intended sounds in the original levels, especially from Bobby Prince's tracks (respect those what taught ya, son. ;) ) The recordings had a touch of mastering applied, mostly in the area of Waves L2 volume limiting (but not so much as to kill the overall dynamics). Other than that, they're the real thing, complete with loop points.

View PostNightFright, on 12 October 2016 - 06:36 AM, said:

I wished we were able to make these tracks available to everybody, not only those who bought World Tour, but I doubt it's legally possible. Anyway, great job, Lee, and I hope it wasn't the last time you contributed to a Duke project!

I'm not sure about the legality of distributing the originals either. Thanks for the compliment, and I agree with you—I hope it's not my last Duke project, too!

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 12 October 2016 - 09:00 AM, said:

By the way, anybody know where the exit to the secret level is in World Tour's new episode, wanna make sure to play that.

https://forums.duke4...post__p__262430

View PostAdrenalinDragon, on 12 October 2016 - 05:34 AM, said:

In the ship at the end of the Egypt level. Behind a masked wall or something if I recall correctly.

It's on previous page...and for some reasons the direct link doesn't works on that post...

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 12 October 2016 - 09:12 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostLee Jackson, on 12 October 2016 - 09:00 AM, said:

I'm not sure about the legality of distributing the originals either. Thanks for the compliment, and I agree with you—I hope it's not my last Duke project, too!

Jackson, you could create IPS patches using Lunar IPS. This will generate a patch with the diff between the bits of two files. That way you can make the user require the music files distributed in World Tour.

This post has been edited by Fox: 12 October 2016 - 10:33 AM

Finally got all of the achievements! Having to kill 10 bad guys in 10 seconds with Steroids was a real pain in the ass to get, surprisingly.

Now to switch the new Duke voice to the original DN3D one.

"Ahhh... much better"

Fox, didn't you rip the Duke Nukem Total Meltdown sounds a while ago?

I think they could come in really handy right now, but the download link from that thread is broken again.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 12 October 2016 - 11:23 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

They really fucked up with the workshop.

For the uploader to work you need to rename it to duke3D.exe and pretend to launch the game through Steam. I think they just 'forgot' to add an option to launch the workshop when you launch the game.

As for the uploader : you can only submit map files. That's it. Not even music.

I honestly don't know if I'll bother.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 12 October 2016 - 12:17 PM

User is offline   HMNuke93 

View PostNightFright, on 12 October 2016 - 05:14 AM, said:

Got the game running in EDuke32 with Polymer turned on, skyboxes and OGG music (music had to be reconverted since the maps crashed with the native OGG files taken directly from WT).

What's missing is an enhancement to EDuke32 to support another entry in gamestartup of user.con (MAXFLAMETHROWERAMMO). The game will spit out an error and refuse to run if you add that entry next to all the others.

How did you manage to run it?

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMetHy, on 12 October 2016 - 12:06 PM, said:

As for the uploader : you can only submit map files. That's it. Not even music.

Oh and for some reasons you can't even specify if it's SP, DM or COOP.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

It's only the first day of release. If they provide even minimal support to this new game they should be able to produce a patch that fixes most of these issues.

User is offline   MetHy 

Ha! You know what's funny about their fabulous skyboxes ? It looks like any workshop map that doesn't use any of the skies used in the original game will have a non functional sky (read : pink box surrounding the level), unless played in the original renderer obviously.

I should stop this is killing myself.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 12 October 2016 - 12:50 PM

• The Truth is in here

I am like 50% done with the new levels. Gonna finish the rest tomorrow. My findings so far:

Pro:
+ Lee Jackson's soundtrack absolutely rocks, in both the old and new levels. The old tracks stay true to the originals while the new ones provide tons of atmosphere with some recognizable tunes here and there.
+ The new levels offer interesting scenarios (even though some are more interesting than others). Especially the Egypt level rocks.
+ The playback feature to return to any point in the level on the fly is neat. It's like recording a demo which you can rewind if you screw up. (Is there a way to activate the function also without dying, btw? If not --> feature request)
+ You can turn off the new Duke speech if you don't like it.

Con:
- Sound quality is horrible. Only the new Duke sounds have proper quality; all the other (unaltered) sounds just don't fit and sound as if an elephant puked into a watering can. Maybe the engine is lacking a sound resampling feature?
- The automap is kinda blurry, even if you choose classic renderer mode.
- Controls feel weird. Duke moves like an old grandpa who drank too much booze.
- Switching weapons (e.g. with mouse up/down) is an absolute pain in the ass. It takes far too long, the delay is killing me. Sometimes literally.
- No continuity throughout the episode. It's just a sequence of levels which have nothing to do with each other.
- Level design is kinda simplistic and linear. On one hand, it good since it's hard to get lost. On the other hand, there are times when you are not allowed to return to previously visited areas (which sucks if you still had unfinished business there).
- Visually, the Incinerator is really little more than a mix of RPG and Freezer with a few cheap edits (same goes for its ammo). Animation of this thing is minimal. TBH, I prefer the Freezer over this.
- Where's the jetpack? Is it even available at all?

So far, I can't say that I am blown away, but it's still entertaining. Surely, the maps are not as complex as I would have expected. It's nothing that an average community mapper couldn't come up with in a rather short period of time. There are some nice ideas occasionally (like what happens in the Amsterdam level), but mostly the maps live from their settings. The London map didn't really convince me, it felt a bit cold and generic. From the first four maps, the Egypt level was certainly the best so far.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

And regarding this:

View PostHMNuke93, on 12 October 2016 - 12:16 PM, said:

How did you manage to run it?

I gave it the same treatment as I did with the addons in the EDuke32 Addon Compilation: I isolated the new content, wrote a new con file with all the changed entries (plus fixing a few warnings along the way), converted the new music to a lower sampling rate (originals would crash EDuke32, at least its current build), converted the skyboxes from TGA to PNG and integrated them with a def file and a separate zipfile that is loaded along with the new groupfile I created (around 40 MB in size).
The result is (hopefully) a groupfile that will run with Duke3D Atomic assets (i.e. the unaltered health packs, fonts etc) while being able to run the new episode and its contents without issues. However, some adjustments to EDuke32 will still be needed (such as the aforementioned issue with gamestartup not supporting the new Flamethrower variable).
Maybe I can provide a diff patch that would ONLY work with the duke3d.grp file that comes with World Tour (and really only that one), creating an addon groupfile for Duke Atomic. However, first it needs to be determined if this is even allowed - and if so, I would need to make sure everything is working properly. If the EDuke32 coding team was willing to assist me with this, I wouldn't be unhappy. ;) I have actually come quite far with it already.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 12 October 2016 - 01:10 PM

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options