Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour - Duke4.net Forums

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

For those that haven't already bought it, is it better to wait for a sale?

User is offline   Sem 

Uhhh guys, did we have a cheat menu before?

//cheat menu
#CheatMenu "CHEAT MENU"
#GodMode "GOD MODE"
#GiveAll "GIVE ALL"
#AllWeapons "ALL WEAPONS"
#GiveInventory "ALL INVENTORY"
#GiveKeys "ALL KEYS"
#ShowMap "SHOW MAP"
#ShowFPS "SHOW FPS"

I found those on the locale files... They have it translated to lots of languages, as well with Xbox and PS4 messages. Maybe the cheat menu is for them?
There is a Cheats.def file in the def files, it does match the stuff mentioned above.

This post has been edited by Sem: 11 October 2016 - 09:05 PM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

PikaCommando, on 11 October 2016 - 08:56 PM, said:

I will be waiting for a sale or at least for the inevitable mod that'll combine World Tour with Eduke cause then a lot of the issues can be fixed.

The reason I thought I would get this version straight away was for the new assets to use with my animations, but I'm not making any more animations any time soon so I can wait.

But until then a friend of mine bought the game so I'm gonna get to try it out, also I've got Shadow Warrior 2 coming as well.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Doom64hunter, on 11 October 2016 - 04:35 PM, said:

What the actual fuck is "Shift" though?

Gearbox at least has their own "Shift" thing which is their self-promotion tool. I think they added it in Borderlands 2, where you could get "Shift keys" from participating in conventions and social media, which you could then use to get items in Borderlands 2. Battleborn also supports it I think. No clue what it would be doing in Duke 3D at all.

Well done with the game cool maps i mean its duke but its not duke that i wanted ;). Time to uninstall the game and cry my self to sleep.

Loving this game, the new levels are great! Really really excellent, these guys have still got it!!

Lee Jackson, on 11 October 2016 - 08:05 PM, said:

Anyone have any comments on the songs for the new levels? I'm sitting here scanning everything and swallowing as much anti-anxiety medicine as I can hold. ;)

You delivered in spades, masterful music! Very cool, I got a John Carpenter 80s movie vibe (very good thing), the synth guitar sound in particular reminds me of the Big Trouble In Little China movie's theme song. Really rockin', groovin', pulls you right into the world with the atmosphere and kick ass attitude. You nailed it! :D

I'm really enjoying the new episode, these levels are just incredibly well done, everything I'd look for in a map. Perfect in every way, honestly, I'm half way through and these maps are so damn good. So fun!

On the mouse, I can see where people may be having issues, but I got used to the feel, I did do a bit of messing with it and testing though. I raised the sensitivity probably about 80% of the bar. Doesn't feel like there's much acceleration or anything, might be wrong on that, but tried turning around at different speeds, seemed to be stable. Nothing feels as smooth mouse wise as eDuke, but for me it's doable.

Duke sounds great, the music sounds incredible, other than the pistol I don't mind the sound effects (ripper actually sounds more pleasant), the new effects are all nicely done, really I'm digging it. Groovy stuff all around!

User is offline   ---- 

PikaCommando, on 11 October 2016 - 08:56 PM, said:

Wait for a sale, IMHO.

I only played the first map and I thought it was uninspired in leveldesign and how the atmosphere was brought across. The look and feel is a bit of a mess, IMHO and suffers from what a lot of beginner user maps suffer: lack in coherent aesthetics. Gameplay was very mediocre, in my opinion.

All personal opinion, of course.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 11 October 2016 - 10:26 PM

Just finished the new episode on Come Get Some. It took me a little under three hours while doing fairly thorough scans of the maps and also listening to the commentary, so take the completion time with that in mind. For what it's worth, I've noted the my positive and negative takeaways from this playthrough.

First, the positives:
  • The new levels are great. The different locales are fun and visually exciting, the encounters are engaging (apart from ones involving the new monsters), and the overall progression is decidedly Duke-like. There's no question these are plenty worthy additions to the Duke lexicon. The only minor complaint I could see being leveled against them (apart from there not being more) is that they're leaning towards the linear side. While they're certainly no Hollywood Holocausts, they're more The Abysses with focused progression rather than single straightforward Critical Masses.

Incidentally, I feel it's worth pointing out that there's a big divergence in style between Allen's and Levelord's maps, far more now than 20 years ago. Levelord went hog wild with the map details, while Allen's levels take a cleaner, simpler approach that wouldn't seem wholly out of place in 1996. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it's pretty easy to tell who did which maps.

• Lee's new tracks are wonderful. They're distinctly Duke, and that's everything I hoped for. The only tiny downside I can think of is that a few are particularly themed to their specific world location, so they don't have the same general purpose flexibility in use as the rest of the soundtrack. Not that this will stop modders from using them to their greatest potential, nor should it.

• The new map art is nice. They don't perfectly match in style with the original DN3D assets, but I won't fault them for that. It's a fresh take from a new art team, and they did an admirable job. Their work elevated the episode from being a simple map pack to becoming its own unique chapter that can stand on its own.

And the negatives, and this goes on for a bit:
  • The widescreen aspect ratio is still Vert-. That puts it even with Megaton, technically, but still a big disappointment. An FOV slider would address this, although the default setting should be Hor+ nonetheless.

• Mouse aiming is sluggish, as if there's some filter being applied. Do we need a bMouse for World Tour?

• Autoaim can't be turned off, which is a peculiar omission.

• As mentioned earlier, the low quality sound effects are still present, and anyone familiar with how Duke 3D should sound will likely find these distracting. The worst example is the tripmine beeping.

• The new weapon selection system is plain awful, and I don't see a way to disable it. Simply put, it's far slower, but this problem is horribly exacerbated in my case since the game also seems to have trouble reading mouse scroll wheel inputs which is what I use for my next/previous weapon binds. I died many times because of this. This was never an issue in Megaton or EDuke32.

• The new Duke lines are a mixed bag at best. I think Jon still has the capability of delivering proper Duke talk nowadays, and some of the new takes are indeed perfectly serviceable. However, several lines are off or rather grating for their particular cues, namely the pain cries. He should have had more direction in these instances, especially since these lines will be heard dozens if not hundreds of times. DN3D's takes have stood the test of time, but I don't see these new recordings similarly lasting two decades before the player simply switches to the original ones.

• The developer commentary is nothing to write home about. I've only heard Episode 5's so far, but I get the feeling this is well representative of the other episodes if not actually better, and that's even with it being underwhelming. While it's nice to hear Allen's and Levelord's observations and explanations, they're few and far between, and they don't often talk at length about their personal design and development processes which I was really hoping to hear. There are large stretches in some of the maps without a single commentary node, and looking at the audio files, it looks like they actually skip numerous maps at a time in the other episodes. The presentation isn't great, either, as it can be confusing figuring out who's talking without any closed captions. There's also the fact that it's just two of the mappers (and Randy) with no one else from 3DR offering their thoughts. Wishful thinking on my part, but I'd love to hear a retrospective from more of the team, even if just a few remarks.

• The new maps are definitely only meant to be viewed with the new lighting effects and ambient occlusion enabled. This is a negative if you were considering playing in the classic software renderer, as you'll quickly discover most of the levels will be too dark, too bright, or generally just have super plain and flat visuals.

• The new Firefly enemy is janky. I love the "new" Chuck Jones sprites, but everything else about their implementation leaves a lot to be desired. To put it one way, these guys ain't no Protector Drones. They only appear in about three maps, though, so there's not much time to lament what could have been. Also, someone spelled Firefly wrong.

• The end boss is a total joke. Should have just put in two Emperors and called them the Cycloid Brothers or Cycloid Cousins. That's still very low effort and lame, but just about anything would be better than what we have now.

• A minor bit, but to confirm something Fox said earlier, mini-Overlords and mini-Cycloids do indeed often shoot themselves with their own rockets.

• I'm iffy on the new Incinerator weapon, but I'm leaning towards it being mostly terrible. Visually, it's obviously a fairly shoddy edit, but as far as its gameplay use as a weapon goes, I'm not sure what role it's supposed to fill. The projectile is low range and you tend to have a lot of ammo. It's a one-shot kill against weaker enemies and generally worthless against the mini bosses. The panicking state it induces on burning enemies (which is just a palette effect) actually makes it harder to hit said enemies, and the ensuing lava pools left on the ground from missed shots are more dangerous to you than they are to your targets.

• Collected keys aren't shown in the minimal HUD. I know this was true of the original DN3D mini HUD, but since this is now the default setting in World Tour, it's bound to leave new players confused.

Admittedly, I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, so that's a big wildcard for me.

Really good music and levels

User is offline   MetHy 

Please let me know if you find a way to turn off mouse smoothing.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Nitpicking time! xD I found two things remarkable in the new user.con:

Definition for a ninth level (but there is none):
definelevelname 4 8 maps/E5L9.map 01:23 01:23 #E5L9

Sloppy typo in the sound file path ("\\" instead of "\") - dunno if it would cause any issues, though:
definesound FLAMETHROWER_INTRO sound\\Wep_Flamethrower_OneShot.ogg 0 0 255 0 0

Also, the track "Pluck You: Part Two" (E5L7_PluckYouPartTwo.ogg) doesn't seem to be used.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 11 October 2016 - 11:54 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

BigPalooka on YouTube noticed a similarity in the start of Twilight Zone and BulletDam (the first new track in World Tour)

Has there been any hint to Duke's future in this game?

User is offline   supergoofy 

Note: also he describes how to get to cheat menu

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 12 October 2016 - 12:22 AM

A couple hint questions for people who played it:

Which level has the exit to the secret level in the new episode? And can you spoil where that exit is?

Also I found zero secrets in Bloody Hell (level 3 of the new ep), anybody have a good list of those? I guess a video with the secrets will show up sometime, just curious what they were.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 12 October 2016 - 12:37 AM

User is offline   supergoofy 

Personally, I'm waiting for a LGR review (with his mimic Duke voice - a la Duke reviews a Duke game). I hope there will be such review.

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 12 October 2016 - 12:36 AM

PsychoGoatee, on 12 October 2016 - 12:33 AM, said:

A couple hint questions for people who played it:

Which level has the exit to the secret level in the new episode? And can you spoil where that exit is?

Also I found zero secrets in Bloody Hell (level 3 of the new ep), anybody have a good list of those? I guess a video with the secrets will show up sometime, just curious what they were.

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=779347398 all secrets ep 5

Also have you guys heard Duke's sound effect when he gets hit by a commanders spin attack or a newbeast scratch? WHAT THE FLUNKS IS THAT ALL ABOUT

Test it in god mode, it would funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

This post has been edited by Captain Massive: 12 October 2016 - 01:08 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Lee Jackson, on 11 October 2016 - 08:05 PM, said:

Anyone have any comments on the songs for the new levels? I'm sitting here scanning everything and swallowing as much anti-anxiety medicine as I can hold. ;)

Thank you for not giving this game a generic metal cock rock soundtrack like every "retro" game tries to do today. You were definitely the highlight here.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Three levels in, I can't tell if I actually like the new episode or not.
I like the new art assets and the how unique they are, but I don't know if I like actually playing them...

This port has the same issues as Megaton with floating lunch trays and blacked out sectors (I had palette 29 there somehow oops)

And washed out colors.

This post has been edited by Captain Massive: 12 October 2016 - 02:28 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

MetHy, on 11 October 2016 - 11:26 PM, said:

Please let me know if you find a way to turn off mouse smoothing.

There seem to be several different mouse settings in the Duke3D.cfg file. I've just got home and started playing so I don't know what will fix that. but maybe try mouse sensitivity or 'game mouse aiming'

.... OMG, all the stuff about dial-up numbers is still in there!

User is offline   MetHy 

Just beat the first level and holy shit, this is not very good. Getting past the technical issues Nerve brought it (or left)... level design was a huge disappointment, very linear and streamlined, no vents, no wall to explode, no alternate path to use, etc Everything that made classic DN3D level design just wasn't there, this is just a usermap.

I'll leave more detailed thoughts later...

This post has been edited by MetHy: 12 October 2016 - 01:29 AM

It could be V-Sync causing the mouse problems.

I just realized where I've heard Duke's scream when he gets hit by a commanders spin attack or a newbeast scratch.

Ever hear Eddy Murphy do the Ralph Kramden & Ed Norton skit, well.... that.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I've only played the first two levels so far. The second one is much better.

The new engine reads TGA files now. All the skies have been 'Foxed' into a 3d skybox format.

User is offline   MetHy 

I'm in the middle of the 2nd map and I'm baffled by how bad this is. I know I said I shouldn't stop playing every time I spot something off and instead should leave more thorough, detalied thoughts later on, but the disappointment here is just beyond me.

This level, Red Ruckus, it has so many blatant issues.
Like door sounds, there is this door which only makes sound when it closes; and another one + an elevator the majority of doors later on which play the same sound twice (once when it activates and 2nd time when it reaches it course).
Then there is this elevator that's a teleporter; and he didn't even bother making it be in SoS so here it's just obvious it teleports to another area; and on top of that, the teleporting transition is made fucking obvious thanks to texture alignement changing in the teleport as well as a light just disappearing half way through the elevator transport.
There is a thousand of decorative doors. Decorative lightswitch (not working). Blocking sprites that get in the way. Oversized stuff like the car. Misaligned textures, the ambient sounds for the computers at the end are fucked somehow etc No interactivity or anything.

Every single usermap noob mistake you can think of, it has it.

But most importantly, the layout is just shit, there is no effort put into it, instead of the dynamic style of the original game, with diagonal shapes, height variations, etc it's just rectangles and more basic square stuff.
Gameplay is nothing special either, and again there is no side path, and you just fetch a keycard in a square room to unlock another square room with another card in it.
And what about enemy placement? Enemies stuck behind crates looking retarded, turrets which placement make them have a VERY hard time hitting the player at all, and just packs of enemies randomly grouped together waiting for you behind a door...

This is a Levelord map. I haven't been so disappointed in my life in a very long time.

Edit : a small word about the lights. For the life of me, I think neither playing with the dynamic lights on, or without them, look good. But more importantly, it's like even the rules of dynamic light game design aren't respected. For instance in Red Ruckus, at first in the street, you have lights making some decorative doors stick out, but on the other hand places where you have to go which have no light, which is just misleading. Then later on in the level, there is dynamic light coming of one of the original game lightbulb sprites, except that sprite can be broken, but the light remains there nonetheless. Then, around that same place, on one hand you have the bathroom with two light textures, but bland as fuck light to go with it; and on the other hand natural cave (rock textures) with no visual light sources cue at all, but plenty of light to go with it.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 12 October 2016 - 02:33 AM

Lunick, on 11 October 2016 - 02:13 AM, said:

I think the more important thing is, has anyone found the "infamous" line yet.

*cough*VO_MQ_Duke_BigBang.ogg*cough*

User is offline   MetHy 

MetHy, on 12 October 2016 - 01:53 AM, said:

turrets which placement make them have a VERY hard time hitting the player at all

Wait a minute, I think the problem isn't the placement, but the laser shots being fired are glitched or something? It's the same when Liztroops shoot, it's like they have a REALLY hard time hitting me at all. Is this a glitch or is it just me?

MetHy, on 12 October 2016 - 01:53 AM, said:

I'm in the middle of the 2nd map and I'm baffled by how bad this is. I know I said I shouldn't stop playing every time I spot something off and instead should leave more thorough, detalied thoughts later on, but the disappointment here is just beyond me.

This level, Red Ruckus, it has so many blatant issues.
Like door sounds, there is this door which only makes sound when it closes; and another one + an elevator the majority of doors later on which play the same sound twice (once when it activates and 2nd time when it reaches it course).
Then there is this elevator that's a teleporter; and he didn't even bother making it be in SoS so here it's just obvious it teleports to another area; and on top of that, the teleporting transition is made fucking obvious thanks to texture alignement changing in the teleport as well as a light just disappearing half way through the elevator transport.
There is a thousand of decorative doors. Decorative lightswitch (not working). Blocking sprites that get in the way. Oversized stuff like the car. Misaligned textures, the ambient sounds for the computers at the end are fucked somehow etc No interactivity or anything.

Every single usermap noob mistake you can think of, it has it.

But most importantly, the layout is just shit, there is no effort put into it, instead of the dynamic style of the original game, with diagonal shapes, height variations, etc it's just rectangles and more basic square stuff.
Gameplay is nothing special either, and again there is no side path, and you just fetch a keycard in a square room to unlock another square room with another card in it.
And what about enemy placement? Enemies stuck behind crates looking retarded, turrets which placement make them have a VERY hard time hitting the player at all, and just packs of enemies randomly grouped together waiting for you behind a door...

This is a Levelord map. I haven't been so disappointed in my life in a very long time.

Edit : a small word about the lights. For the life of me, I think neither playing with the dynamic lights on, or without them, look good. But more importantly, it's like even the rules of dynamic light game design aren't respected. For instance in Red Ruckus, at first in the street, you have lights making some decorative doors stick out, but on the other hand places where you have to go which have no light, which is just misleading. Then later on in the level, there is dynamic light coming of one of the original game lightbulb sprites, except that sprite can be broken, but the light remains there nonetheless. Then, around that same place, on one hand you have the bathroom with two light textures, but bland as fuck light to go with it; and on the other hand natural cave (rock textures) with no visual light sources cue at all, but plenty of light to go with it.

Yeah, the levels are definitely not as good as the original 4 episodes. However, LevelLord's were better for me due to being less linear than Blum's. They suffer from user map syndrome by having too many fake doors (seriously, no one thought of using like a Half-Life 1 "Locked" door sound?) and sprites for details. I also went through the episode again and there doesn't appear to be a Jetpack at all, so exploration appears to be almost all on ground or blocked off by invisible walls. As I had to pretty much play the chapter without the fancy lights, it didn't look good for most of the time due to lack of shading. I can confidently say Alien World Order is the weakest episode by quite a large margin.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

User is offline   Jblade 

My thoughts align with Marphy Black; I was kind of shocked at the final boss AI since it was completely harmless out of it's short range. New enemy was relatively cool but wasn't used very well - the self-shrinking mechanic was actually pretty neat but they were always in cramped areas so a swift rocket killed them off regardless. The new flamethrower was eh, I was impressed mostly by the lava pool the projectiles leave on the floor. It doesn't replace the freezethrower though so it's neat to have an actual NEW weapon instead of a replacement but still, felt pretty low effort.

I don't regret buying it but if you're on tight purse strings than definitely hold fire and wait.

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options