Duke4.net Forums: Small fun city map CHALLENGE! (Winner gets World Tour) - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Small fun city map CHALLENGE! (Winner gets World Tour)

User is offline   Paul B 

I was really hoping to have contributed but unfortunately life has gotten in the way and I have had very little time to myself, which means no Duke mapping for me. All the best to those who are involved, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished products.

User is offline   MetHy 

Same here, I really wanted to do a small map for this but I had another project to finish and I've started a map for "Duke Spookem" which is the first priority now.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 06 October 2016 - 08:53 AM

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Duke Spookem Posted Image

Here's My submission: Duke goes on a beer run. Map Name: Dry-Run "Outta Beer - Outta Here". :Note Use Eduke r5811 later versions have the camera bug and will bork your game.
https://forums.duke4...y-camera-issue/

In oder to survive you must use all the things in your environment you come across, like mail boxes ATM's venders and such.

Some buildings could use some work, it's still missing skill levels and mutiplayer but given the 3 week time limit that could not be done quite yet.

Anyone playing this Please let me know of any changes you would like (for example something you wish you had gotten at certian time), or just any thing that comes to mind.
Beta Testers are welcome.

Known Bugs : Carwash Rollers can cause graphical errors, Exit button won't work facing it directly (hit it from an angle).

May Not Run With... : Only compatable with EDuke32 r5811, has some eduke only features (All newer versions of EDuke the cameras will aggro the mobs), HRP - Vine textures don't match up, palettes aren't compatible and causes lag.

Important Notes : This is a Beta version - beta testesters are welcome, Made for Polymer Eduke32. r5811 only

:Vending Machines, Mail boxes,Trash bins, Ice machines, Tampon dispencers,Phones, ATM's, Cash registers, Fire alarms, Phone Booths, Slurp Me machines, & Hand dryers are your Friend. (gives 1 to 4 items or 3 & a slime to the face.) Just press on everything that would make sense in real life.

Please read the Dukebook monitors they help with the story and level progression.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   MetHy 

I just tried playing your map and it seemed good really, except it's way too tight on supplies. I had to quit when I exited the hotel, all I had left was about 20 pistol bullets, 2 shrink rays and one tripbomb and there are dozens of enemies outdoor with no supplies. I found ammo for stuff in the hotel by pressing use on machines, but didn't have the weapons to go with them.

View PostMetHy, on 07 October 2016 - 01:33 AM, said:

I just tried playing your map and it seemed good really, except it's way too tight on supplies. I had to quit when I exited the hotel, all I had left was about 20 pistol bullets, 2 shrink rays and one tripbomb and there are dozens of enemies outdoor with no supplies. I found ammo for stuff in the hotel by pressing use on machines, but didn't have the weapons to go with them.

Room 66 has a shotgun outside, the ATM has plenty of grow ammo, the Food vender has plenty of shells and more shells before that outside of room 64.

Outside the hotel there's plenty of mail boxes, you mostly rely on grow ammo for the 1st few encounters outdoors.

If its still to hard I'll commit some changes.

Don't forget the fire alarm & ice machine you might need ice ammo further on, also the bathroom has an extra pipe bomb in the hand dryer.

Also some machines have 3-4 items, unlike phones which hold only 1, press multible times on them.

I might have to add a tutorial section before start if people can't adjust to this new play style.

This post has been edited by Captain Massive: 07 October 2016 - 02:13 AM

Right on, kudos on getting your map in! Still got a couple days to make any tweaks you feel like. Does it have difficulty settings? If a map is on the harder side having an easier option can be cool. I just always click on Let's Rock, though a lot of maps don't have difficulty settings and usually a fine difficulty.

I'm gonna wait until the deadline (Saturday night or Sunday if somebody is close), probably playing maps on Sunday. That way I'm playing the maps I'm comparing back to back, if there are more maps to compare. ;)

User is offline   Jolteon 

View PostCaptain Massive, on 06 October 2016 - 11:25 PM, said:

Here's My submission: Duke goes on a beer run. Map Name: Dry-Run "Outta Beer - Outta Here".

There is a glitch I spotted with you're map. It is possible to go behind the stage while it is rotating after inserting the blue key. When you do go behind the stage, you're now trapped in there since there is no way out. Other then that, the map is quite nice. Died a few times, once in the car wash by an Blue Octabrain, then twice by a pigcop in the bar after getting the blue key. I had fun while playing it. ;)

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 07 October 2016 - 07:33 AM, said:

Right on, kudos on getting your map in! Still got a couple days to make any tweaks you feel like. Does it have difficulty settings? If a map is on the harder side having an easier option can be cool. I just always click on Let's Rock, though a lot of maps don't have difficulty settings and usually a fine difficulty.

I'm gonna wait until the deadline (Saturday night or Sunday if somebody is close), probably playing maps on Sunday. That way I'm playing the maps I'm comparing back to back, if there are more maps to compare. ;)

Can't build on weekends my kids use my computer, it does need skill levels if i can sneak in an hour or 2 later maybe i'll add them, but its unlikley.

Just save alot.

My 11 year old beat it by yelling yolo and running past half the mobs at the end, and self destructing the tanks in the begining it was fun to watch.

This post has been edited by Captain Massive: 09 October 2016 - 10:22 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I managed to get absolutely nowhere with ideas so here is a shitty city picture from what I did to encourage others to participate !

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: goodfortune.png

If they're participating, they have about 24 hours left to do so! A winner will be crowned, oh yes!

And the winner is... Dry Run by Captain Massive! It may be the only map that made it to the finish line, but it's also a good one.

Very nicely designed, good looking, good flow to it. The gimmick for getting items was pretty well done, combat wise I like a lot more firepower/ammo if we have lots of enemies so I ended up using some cheats near the end, since I didn't have much ammo. Kudos for putting this together in a few weeks, the car wash was impressive, the slurpee machine, lots of fun details.

Send me your steam ID and I'll gift you a copy of World Tour. ;)

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 09 October 2016 - 01:09 PM, said:

And the winner is... Dry Run by Captain Massive! It may be the only map that made it to the finish line, but it's also a good one.

Very nicely designed, good looking, good flow to it. The gimmick for getting items was pretty well done, combat wise I like a lot more firepower/ammo if we have lots of enemies so I ended up using some cheats near the end, since I didn't have much ammo. Kudos for putting this together in a few weeks, the car wash was impressive, the slurpee machine, lots of fun details.

Send me your steam ID and I'll gift you a copy of World Tour. ;)

Give it to a friend or family, I allready have the game, was just in it to compete and get some free beta playtesting.

It too bad no-one else made it to the finnish line :D

You might of missed the shotgun shells in the carwash cash registers or something else. But its clear people think its low on ammo in it's current state.

I just ran through it without saving and beat the level & I'm a terrible player, or so I thought, maybe it's that my skills have improved (wish I had demo rec on).

So I thought the balance was fine, guess I was way off the mark this time.

I'll be adding skills, bug fixes and more, maybe tone it down alittle in some areas, and add health ammo where needed when I get time, and do an official release in the near future.

Thanks for playing & changes will be made based on player observations. (more player advise is welcome it's my 1st city level eva, so could use some more input).

This post has been edited by Captain Massive: 09 October 2016 - 02:01 PM

Right on, and thanks! Fittingly I did pre-order my brother this for his Birthday which is the day the game hits coincidentally.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

I really wanted to make a map, but I have started Duke Spookem which takes all my free time.

User is offline   Merlijn 

I had some loose ideas, but unfortunately I didn't have enough spare time to develop them into an actual map. ;)

Just played Dry Run and I thought it was pretty good! (y) Using mailboxes and vending machines as distribution centers is cool.
The battles on the street and the carwash were the most entertaining for me (especially using the expander on the pig cops).

Was it made with polymer lights? I used classic mode and most of the map was quite dark.
Which made the battle in the café very hard (couldn't see who was shooting at me). A few sector based lights wouldn't hurt there.

View PostMerlijn, on 11 October 2016 - 10:08 AM, said:

I had some loose ideas, but unfortunately I didn't have enough spare time to develop them into an actual map. ;)

Just played Dry Run and I thought it was pretty good! (y) Using mailboxes and vending machines as distribution centers is cool.
The battles on the street and the carwash were the most entertaining for me (especially using the expander on the pig cops).

Was it made with polymer lights? I used classic mode and most of the map was quite dark.
Which made the battle in the café very hard (couldn't see who was shooting at me). A few sector based lights wouldn't hurt there.

It's polymer only like all my maps (moontang being optional but should use it or your missing out), its has moving and spinning rotating polymer lights all around.

For example the helicopter has a spotlight, and the dance floor has rotating lights, also swinging lights at the club entrance.

Not sure how you found a cafe sinse there are no coffee shops on my map.

The bar the enemies are harder to see because of the visibilty being 16 indoors sharp transitioning from 240 outside, the lighting is actually brighter than most official maps and is shaded properly.

I played your map in poly mode so it seems we both got it backwards.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options