Duke4.net Forums: The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge - Duke4.net Forums

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge  "Trivia, Research, etc."

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Have you seen a shotgun which is on the second pic before? I like it!
Posted Image

Hadn't seen that before, pretty cool! Not as cool or Duke-ish as what we got, but always cool to see different assets.

I actually don't recognize the levels in the pics O_o

The one with the SG looks like Abyss but way different, the one with the battlelord looks like Occupied Territory, and the last one looks like a smaller version of the bar in RLD. Only the picture with the Octabrains looks like a level from the real game (Toxic Waste) it's weird :/

User is offline   Jolteon 

I've just noticed the fourth picture (The one that from Toxic dump), Duke is using the Space Suit underwater.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostVazovski, on 12 August 2016 - 07:07 AM, said:

Have you seen a shotgun which is on the second pic before? I like it!

There's a different screenshot with the same shotgun sprite somewhere here in this thread. IIRC it was also from some magazine scan.

[Edit] Here you go:

View PostDarkus, on 18 June 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

And finally, one last scan that intrigues me: It's a commercial with only two screen of beta DN3D. The first screen is either E1L1 or E1L2, but the second screen more intersting because we can see Duke carrying a different shotgun model...
http://download.aban...ril%201996).jpg

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 12 August 2016 - 11:50 AM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

In speaking of that shotgun... I remember seeing on the forums once somebody found video footage of that gun in the game.

Also, there was another promotional cover that showed what the pickup sprite of that version of the shotgun looked like, and I made a sprite out of it:
Posted Image

Maybe the people with the beta stuff could see how close to the actual sprite this is. I'm really curious to know lol.

User is offline   FistMarine 

Some random miscellaneous stuff about DOS versions of 1.3D, 1.5 and the expansion packs:

Duke It Out In D.C. and Duke Caribbean: Life's a Beach were made with 1.3D in mind. That's why you won't find any expander ammo in any of the maps. The differences are mostly seen in Caribbean where the Commander's spinning animation is a bit stretched similar to the one from original 1.3D. Same goes with pipebombs, you get 6 per pickup just like in 1.3D.
One of the stands in first level only opens if you play the expansion in original 1.3D. If playing in 1.5, EDuke32 or Megaton, the stand will never open.
The paletted pig cops are more dangerous in 1.3D because they have twice as much health, making the levels more challenging.

Duke It Out In D.C. shows this unique ending screen if you play in original 1.3D version in DOSBox:
Attached Image: DUKEDC_ENDSCREEN.png

Duke Caribbean: Life's a Beach has unique episode textures if you play in original 1.3D version in DOSBox:
Attached Image: VACATION_EPISODES.png

Duke Nuclear Winter has a dancing babe frame that replaces Duke's sprites while jumping. Can be seen during the third NW demo in the following screenshot:
Attached Image: NWINTER_WTF.png
To watch the NW demos, you have to delete the Atomic demos from your NWINTER directory.

User Map menu exists in original DOS version of Atomic Edition 1.5 as well. It can only be seen during demos playing in background that were recorded from specifying map name, I believe. For example NW maps or user map demos. It also shows up when you start a game from User Map menu. Not sure if it shows up if you start the user map from SETUP.EXE, I have never played user maps in DOS version before. Shown here are screenshots from Nuclear Winter, as well as two of my favorite user maps (Dukai and Streets of Gotham City) that have demos recorded (Dukai has a demo available at DukeWorld, Gotham comes with a demo file inside zip file):
Attached Image: NWINTER_USERMAP.png
Attached Image: ATOMIC_DUKAI.png
Attached Image: ATOMIC_GOTHAM.png

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 22 August 2016 - 05:48 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFistMarine, on 22 August 2016 - 05:46 AM, said:

Duke Caribbean: Life's a Beach has unique episode textures if you play in original 1.3D version in DOSBox:
Attachment VACATION_EPISODES.png

This is what you get if you hack the exe to use lowercase letters. The special control bit for my screentext command to use the redfont tile order restores this functionality, though for our menus I also define the bit to always use uppercase.

Duke Nuclear Winter has a dancing babe frame that replaces Duke's sprites while jumping. Can be seen during the third NW demo in the following screenshot:
Attachment NWINTER_WTF.png

This is an oversight. SillySoft moved the textures for that TV so that they could use more frames for the movie theater screen. They didn't realize that APLAYER defines the action for falling to the formerly empty tile range that they used for the textures, because defining an action at blank tiles lets you keep whichever art tiles were showing previously.

User is offline   FistMarine 

View PostHendricks266, on 22 August 2016 - 08:30 AM, said:

This is what you get if you hack the exe to use lowercase letters. The special control bit for my screentext command to use the redfont tile order restores this functionality, though for our menus I also define the bit to always use uppercase.

Interesting. I didn't know that they used lowercase letters for the episode names, now I see why the apostrophe remains unchanged. At first I thought they simply decided to change the font/textures to better highlight that those episodes are replaced and maybe for looking a bit more unique and to fit the "Caribbean" theme.
In Duke DC, they simply hacked DUKE3D.EXE to change the episode name (unlike in Caribbean where they did their own carib.exe file to launch the expansion, though you still need to download an unofficial caribfix.exe to make it run through latest version of DOSBox), since 1.3D does not support changing episode names.

View PostHendricks266, on 22 August 2016 - 08:30 AM, said:

This is an oversight. SillySoft moved the textures for that TV so that they could use more frames for the movie theater screen. They didn't realize that APLAYER defines the action for falling to the formerly empty tile range that they used for the textures, because defining an action at blank tiles lets you keep whichever art tiles were showing previously.

I see now and I think you explained to me before but I wanted to point that out anyway. It's fixed in NW+ though. :P

Some random miscellaneous stuff about DOS versions of 1.3D, 1.5 and the expansion packs:

Duke It Out In D.C. and Duke Caribbean: Life's a Beach were made with 1.3D in mind. That's why you won't find any expander ammo in any of the maps.

The strange thing is that, in the Megaton Edition, I do clearly remember finding expander ammo when playing in coop on one of the D.C. maps, specifically Metro Mayhem.
Maybe it's something the Megaton edition added for some reason?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostDoom64hunter, on 30 August 2016 - 11:28 AM, said:

The strange thing is that, in the Megaton Edition, I do clearly remember finding expander ammo when playing in coop on one of the D.C. maps, specifically Metro Mayhem.
Maybe it's something the Megaton edition added for some reason?
Most of Megaton's Addon Pack maps have been patched by NUKEMDAVE, addition of multiplayer items included.

I found five pre-release screenshots of Redneck Rampage in a OGR preview (Wayback Machine link) dated 10 December 1996. All shots show a Duke Nukem/Shadow Warrior-style low-res HUD:
http://web.archive.o...es/redneck6.gif

The preview text suggests that Interplay sent OGR a payable demo. The demo map seems to be largely identical to the map in the public alpha 0.7 demo.

I just found some pre-release shots of Duke3D on this coverdisk (the respective magazine was published in September 1995) and uploaded them here:
http://imgur.com/a/qP4Sg

Some of the shots were included with the shareware versions of Terminal velocity, but there are some that don't seem familiar to me, including:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

The third shot above seems to suggest that the Enforcer could have been armed with the same type of electricity gun as Duke is using on the very next shot (the weapon known from LameDuke ).

• Weaponized Autism

Awesome, I haven't seen that electricity sprite in use before. (It survives in the final's ART tiles.)

View PostMrFlibble, on 09 October 2016 - 09:01 AM, said:

I just found some pre-release shots of Duke3D on this coverdisk (the respective magazine was published in September 1995) and uploaded them here:
http://imgur.com/a/qP4Sg

Posted Image

This ones hawt. ;)

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Isn't that the same girl that's on the SW art?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Green access card, that's interesting...

User is offline   Lunick 

It looks like a lot of these screenshots comes from this magazine scan in Jimmy's Build Archive http://imgur.com/a/DUmZP

User is offline   Shaq Fu 

Does anyone else know what's with this place outside the map in E1L2 of the 0.99 beta?

It looks to be an early version of the beginning of the map.

Posted Image

Posted Image

More images of this place can be seen here: http://imgur.com/a/DdQqH

• Weaponized Autism

That certainly makes way more sense that an elevator into the street.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Posted Image

View PostShaq Fu, on 09 October 2016 - 08:55 PM, said:

Does anyone else know what's with this place outside the map in E1L2 of the 0.99 beta?

It looks to be an early version of the beginning of the map.

-snip-

-snip-

More images of this place can be seen here: http://imgur.com/a/DdQqH

Someone should make a version of E1L2 with that added back in

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

There are actually more areas in 0.99 that got unused/cut later.
E1L2 is probably the most developed map in the game as it's the big city from lameduke.
Every pre-release shot showing this big city is just parts of E1L2 (and E1L1 in some cases) as it got chopped more and more.
Tilted rooftop with a large building / bar&club / room interior with beds and that girl / etc.. shots of the city and flipped police car. All just the same street bit and bar.. They really tried everything possible ;)

My link I did a 0.99 vs. 1.00 comparison walk through ~2 years ago, has most of the stuff I could find.

This post has been edited by oasiz: 10 October 2016 - 05:47 AM

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostCaptain Massive, on 09 October 2016 - 10:17 AM, said:

Posted Image

This ones hawt. ;)

I hope they release that beta version with that amazing city level.

View PostLunick, on 09 October 2016 - 04:15 PM, said:

It looks like a lot of these screenshots comes from this magazine scan in Jimmy's Build Archive http://imgur.com/a/DUmZP

The CD that the shots are found on was bundled with an earlier issue of the same magazine, SCORE.

Hopefully this is not the wrong place to ask, and someone can provide info on this topic.

Until recently I did not realise that the Secrets of the Acropolis TC was made by the same team as the originally commercial Shadow Warrior add-on Twin Dragon. While SotA has always been freeware, does anyone know if it was included on any Duke3D add-on disks? It doesn't matter if the collection was authorised or just a shovelware CD.

View PostMrFlibble, on 29 September 2016 - 12:55 AM, said:

I found five pre-release screenshots of Redneck Rampage in a OGR preview (Wayback Machine link) dated 10 December 1996. All shots show a Duke Nukem/Shadow Warrior-style low-res HUD:
http://web.archive.o...es/redneck6.gif

Here's another preview, this time from cdmag.com and dated 5 February 1997. The screenshots are scaled down but one of them quite clearly shows that the crosshair is the same as in Shadow Warrior. No idea where the site got those screenshots, but they're mostly using official stuff for their reviews and previews.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 19 October 2016 - 04:49 AM

I've been wondering this ever since I started looking into the sound definitions for Duke3D, but have MDEVL01.VOC and SMACK02.VOC only been added with the Atomic Edition?

If so, then I am deeply shocked. I always thought those were already present in 1.3D

• Weaponized Autism

Yes.

User is offline   Darkus 

I don't know if it was mentioned before, but in the Faces of Death level, some portraits have changed from 1.3D(left row) to Atomic Edition(right row):

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options