• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Half-Life corner

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postgemeaux333, on 27 August 2016 - 05:25 AM, said:

Half-Life 2 : Episode Four was intended to be made by Arkane Studio (french studio), and although the work done on it was promising (recent videos and artworks) the cooperation bettwenn Valve and Arkane didn't last very long...

Since when was an Episode Four ever going to happen?

Apparently it was called "Return to Ravenholm".

User is offline   Loke 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 29 August 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

Since when was an Episode Four ever going to happen?

http://combineoverwi...rn_to_Ravenholm

Return to Ravenholm, also known as Ravenholm or Half-Life 2: Episode Four, was the working title of a cancelled Half-Life 2 Episode developed by Arkane Studios from 2006 to 2007. Set in the zombie-infested European town of Ravenholm, it was to take place sometime before the end of Half-Life 2: Episode Two.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

Ah I didn't know that was identified as Episode Four.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

I had no idea such a thing even existed. Was this going to be canon with Valve's Episode 3?

View Postdeuxsonic, on 30 August 2016 - 03:17 AM, said:

I had no idea such a thing even existed. Was this going to be canon with Valve's Episode 3?

Yes.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

With an additionnal ressource to manage : "Absorption"

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

A long forgotten Valve project is now playable after 13 years in limbo. Based on a Quake mod, Half Life: Threewave is a multiplayer capture the flag game that was initially discovered in 2003 during the infamous leak of Half Life 2's beta.

I think the correct title is Deathmatch Classic: Threewave because that's what it is. Half-Life: Threewave is just something clickbait VNN thought up of.

User is offline   leilei 

Clickbait HL3 jokes.

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 22 September 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

A long forgotten Valve project is now playable after 13 years in limbo. Based on a Quake mod, Half Life: Threewave is a multiplayer capture the flag game that was initially discovered in 2003 during the infamous leak of Half Life 2's beta.

For the record, a good majority of this video is wrong. The title itself has at least five errors:

• The title is called "Half-Life: Threewave", but this is not Half-Life. This is Deathmatch Classic, a recreation of Quake in Half-Life.
  • The title mentions "Threewave", the famed Quake CTF mod of the same name, but this is not Threewave. This is simply a planned Capture The Flag game mode for DMC based on Threewave.
  • It says "Valve's", but Valve didn't make Deathmatch Classic. DMC was created by a Half-Life modding team, just as Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat were also made by modders.
  • It says "Game", but this is false. DMC is a free mod released for Half-Life.
  • It says "Unreleased", which is partially true. The supposed point of this video is to suggest that this information or "playable game" is new. However, this very CTF Threewave game mode was already compiled into a playable format half a decade ago.

This post has been edited by Marphy Black: 22 September 2016 - 02:33 PM

View PostMarphy Black, on 22 September 2016 - 02:29 PM, said:

For the record, a good majority of this video is wrong. The title itself has at least five errors:

How do you explain this, then?

Posted Image

User is offline   leilei 

Because 2001 is not revised by a young youtuber. Official Half-Life patches starting from 1999 added several officialized technical mods (TFC/TF1.5, Ricochet, DMC) and have marked their original debuts in them, much to the annoyance of dial-up players. They were split as standalone products much later when Steam was just starting out (A retail HL key would nab all of them)

This post has been edited by leilei: 22 September 2016 - 04:48 PM

Valve released Deathmatch Classic as a free mod in June of 2001:
https://www.bluesnew...fe-dmc-released

A month later, DMC was officially added to Half-Life in patch 1.1.0.7, thus making the two inseparable:
https://www.bluesnew...-0-0-2-released

Of course, nowadays, you're much more likely to want patch 1.1.1.0 if you want your copy of the game to be up to date.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostMarphy Black, on 22 September 2016 - 02:29 PM, said:

• The title is called "Half-Life: Threewave", but this is not Half-Life. This is Deathmatch Classic, a recreation of Quake in Half-Life.
  • The title mentions "Threewave", the famed Quake CTF mod of the same name, but this is not Threewave. This is simply a planned Capture The Flag game mode for DMC based on Threewave.
  • It says "Valve's", but Valve didn't make Deathmatch Classic. DMC was created by a Half-Life modding team, just as Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat were also made by modders.
  • It says "Unreleased", which is partially true. The supposed point of this video is to suggest that this information or "playable game" is new. However, this very CTF Threewave game mode was already compiled into a playable format half a decade ago.

Meh, Tyler (this youtuber) has done enough work with Valve games specifically that any small errors can be glossed over; I enjoyed his HL2 beta playthroughs.
The one thing that is indeed criminal, however, are his weapon viewmodels in almost all of his videos.

View PostHulkNukem, on 23 September 2016 - 10:33 PM, said:

The one thing that is indeed criminal, however, are his weapon viewmodels in almost all of his videos.

Can you elaborate on that?

View PostHulkNukem, on 23 September 2016 - 10:33 PM, said:

Meh, Tyler (this youtuber) has done enough work with Valve games specifically that any small errors can be glossed over; I enjoyed his HL2 beta playthroughs.

I wouldn't say fundamental inaccuracies in every aspect of the video constitutes small errors. However, for the record, much of the Half-Life (I can't speak for TF2, CS:GO, or whatever) information included in his videos are from the Combine OverWiki (check his descriptions), a wiki which I personally administrate as well as having written and maintained many of the articles which he has touched upon. Despite this, a great deal of his reporting still manages to be incorrect as he surreptitiously mixes in wild and sensationalist speculation along with demonstrably false theories taken from unreliable sources, the same volatile combination that lead to just about everything in this "Half-Life: Threewave" video to be wrong as well.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostPikaCommando, on 23 September 2016 - 11:01 PM, said:

Can you elaborate on that?

Watch any of his videos, you'll see he plays at a high FOV, causing his first person hands/guns to be so stretched out they almost act as the crosshair. For games like Quake, it stretches the gun; for source engine games, it shows where the arms get cutoff, especially in TF2.
Playing like this in your own time is not a problem, but subjecting them to your viewers should be illegal

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Have anyone played "Gunman Chronicles" ?

I have read that it was a mod in the first place, but had so much success that Sierra decided to make it a commercial game and give the develloppment to Valve...

Oddly, it can't be found on steam, and playing with the original/collector versions are problematic because graphic standards have evolved since...

User is offline   zykov eddy 

View Postgemeaux333, on 03 October 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

Have anyone played "Gunman Chronicles" ?

I have read that it was a mod in the first place, but had so much success that Sierra decided to make it a commercial game and give the develloppment to Valve...

Oddly, it can't be found on steam, and playing with the original/collector versions are problematic because graphic standards have evolved since...

I played it numerous times and I think it's one of the best early HL mods, especially the last third of the game.

• The Sarien Encounter

I remember trying the demo but I never got far as I had something else to do at the time I think. Then never got back to it. It is strange that it's not available anywhere or that Valve hasn't rereleased it. Must be license issues.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 October 2016 - 09:10 AM, said:

I remember trying the demo but I never got far as I had something else to do at the time I think. Then never got back to it. It is strange that it's not available anywhere or that Valve hasn't rereleased it. Must be license issues.

They own it, but for whatever reason it's the only game in Valve's catalog that isn't available on Steam. Someone's modified the retail version of the game into a Steam-compatible HL mod, which seems oddly appropriate for a project that started out life as an ambitious total conversion (albeit for Quake 2).

• The Sarien Encounter

Baffling indeed. Maybe they don't think it's any good? But then, they release Ricochet and actually ask money for it. Bizarre.

Speaking of which, reading the Steam reviews for Ricochet is a real treat.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 October 2016 - 01:11 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

http://www.marclaidl...ting-half-life/

A fascinating read, definitely worth looking at even if you're not a big fan of the game.

Oh dear lord, I've played this game to many times to count. I found it to be one of the best TC's for Half-Life. I still have it on CD too!

This post has been edited by Robert Stever: 03 October 2016 - 07:03 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

I just played through Gunman Chronicles for the first time and I enjoyed it overall. It was fun to play something like Half-Life for the first time again.

Combat could lack impact sometimes, mostly due to the aliens' "energy attacks". Also weapon balance is quite of a wreck.
The idea of all the different weapon modes is cool, except that the level design and combat scenarios just NEVER truely made you have to change modes, and poor weapon balancing didn't help either. Plus, the rocket launcher and grenades have so little ammo I barely even used them anyway. So I just picked one mode for each weapon and never changed....

The tank parts were boring because you couldn't die, and also the end "bossfight" is terrible, all you do is pick on one of the smallest kind of aliens while they aren't even trying to attack you, while the coop AI is fighting the real bossfight for you. What were they thinking?

This post has been edited by MetHy: 05 October 2016 - 03:43 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

Thanks Marphy for finding this :P

User is offline   hogsy 

Speaking of Gunman Chronicles, do we know what happened to the guys that worked on the game?

I'm guessing they work at Valve now?

View Posthogsy, on 15 February 2017 - 02:57 AM, said:

Speaking of Gunman Chronicles, do we know what happened to the guys that worked on the game?

I'm guessing they work at Valve now?

There were plans for a Gamecube port that never came through, and have since split up and gone on their separate ways. None of them works at Valve anymore to my knowledge. Valve Archive has contacted a few of them and is currently building up a Gunman Chronicle archive on their website.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

All unofficial, but this guy is working on a Black Mesa level in Unreal.

http://polycount.com...-mesa-tunnel/p1

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options