• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostMicky C, on 26 September 2016 - 03:48 AM, said:

Hasn't Levelord been retired for many years?

Just a handful. Level design lives in this guy's blood.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Are there any other technical issues you guys have noticed in the released media, aside from the sound quality issues, the gap in the chaingun, and the CON coding and art offsets for the new enemy being screwed up? I reported all that stuff to Gearbox and will report anything else you guys notice as well.

View PostTerminX, on 28 September 2016 - 07:31 PM, said:

Are there any other technical issues you guys have noticed in the released media, aside from the sound quality issues, the gap in the chaingun, and the CON coding and art offsets for the new enemy being screwed up? I reported all that stuff to Gearbox and will report anything else you guys notice as well.

By sound quality you mean the lack of emphasis in the way that JSJ delivers his lines?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

No, all the old lo-fi sounds sound like crap.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I've noticed a technical glitch; the price is too high by a factor of 2. Such a round difference is obviously a computing error, please kindly ask them to fix it.

I hope I'm not the only one that thinks that JSJ sounds terrible with the HQ VO work. This really needs to be addressed.

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

I noticed this one issue where they basically cloned the Polymer renderer for questionable reasons, and this other issue they aren't including any of the third party expansions and whenever Randy is asked about it he loses his shit on Twitter. There's this one other issue where Jon sounds like he doesn't give a fuck when reciting his Duke lines. Everything else looks good except Gearbox owning the franchise and squeezing out big piles of dookie all over it instead of giving a licence to someone who might make something not shit like Voidpoint or Interceptor, both of which would shoot loads of hot cum all over the room if they had their chance to work on a Duke Nukem game. The maps look good and the music is something new so that might balance everything else out.

It is good to hear that there's a line of communication open. Maybe it'll give you a chance to tell Randy that he has absolutely zero idea about the Duke Nukem franchise and character and should get George Broussard in as an adviser, even though he has shit planning skills he would be able to direct the character and franchise properly, or hand off a licence to a company that actually gets the franchise.

Serious response, the widescreen aspect ratio appears to be Vert- rather than Hor+, meaning the view is cut off vertically rather than extended horizontally to fit the widescreen. I'm basing this observation on this video:

Comparisons:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Megaton had the same problem, in fact.

This post has been edited by Marphy Black: 28 September 2016 - 08:00 PM

View PostMarphy Black, on 28 September 2016 - 08:00 PM, said:

Serious response, the widescreen aspect ratio appears to be Vert- rather than Hor+, meaning the view is cut off vertically rather than extended horizontally to fit the widescreen. I'm basing this observation on this video:

Yeah, vert- is a huge issue (for me, at least), but why don't you take a screencap with the video in full-screen to compare better?

User is offline   stumppy84 

I would also like to add that the new weapon Sprite also needs a little clean up! I Think someone posted a fixed version of it in here? Looked a lot better. And maybe do more work with the final boss..

View PostPikaCommando, on 28 September 2016 - 08:25 PM, said:

but why don't you take a screencap with the video in full-screen to compare better?

The screen capture is in full screen, but the YouTube UI overlay doesn't disappear when a video is paused because YouTube is made by hack frauds, and I'm too lazy to get the frame timing right during live play and don't want to download the raw video again just for a screenshot. I already downloaded it once before in anticipation of Shacknews deleting the rest of their Duke videos.

And I just remembered one other technical issue: Duke's "It's like déjà vu all over again" Duke Talk line is emitted from a local position in the map rather than the Duke Talk sound channel. The earlier "good coffee" line may also have the same problem, but I couldn't tell for certain from the videos.

If you want to get really technical and/or nerd obsessive, Duke no long begins every map turning from his right (or left if beginning on a moving platform). He's always already facing straight ahead. Game ruined.

This post has been edited by Marphy Black: 28 September 2016 - 09:01 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMarphy Black, on 28 September 2016 - 08:45 PM, said:

And I just remembered one other technical issue: Duke's "It's like déjà vu all over again" Duke Talk line is emitted from a local position in the map rather than the Duke Talk sound channel. The earlier "good coffee" line may also have the same problem, but I couldn't tell for certain from the videos.

So that's why that audio sounds odd too, I didn't think they would do it that way...

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I know TX just asked if we saw any other bugs, and this may not be a bug (it's not)... But I think the new weapon would look better if they just used the original Freezethrower sprites from when it was the flamethrower. It looks like a hackjob, like the muzzle looks like something from the Shadow Warrior riot gun, poorly cropped onto a recolored freezethrower.

Also, why don't they resample the re-recorded Duke lines to whatever sample rate it was in the original? That way, it won't clash as much with the other sound effects.

This post has been edited by Tristan: 28 September 2016 - 10:34 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

Oh boy, I can't believe they'd do widescreen like this again.

Do they care? (especially 2 weeks before release)

Anyway it looked to me that there is a huge different in sky alignment whenever someone switches one renderer to the other, but this is probably linked to the way they handled the skybox.

View PostTristan, on 28 September 2016 - 10:25 PM, said:

Also, why don't they resample the re-recorded Duke lines to whatever sample rate it was in the original? That way, it won't clash as much with the other sound effects.

Please don't make suggestions on how to make it worse. They seem to handle that very well themselves already.
What I mean is, they should fix the sound quality of the sounds, not make the voices worse to match crap. They don't need levelling downwards.
Anyway - I'm sure even I would be able to find a way to mod the old sounds back in at proper quality.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 28 September 2016 - 11:31 PM

Yes yes, it's all true they suck until completion. spurt spurt

View PostHiPolyBash, on 28 September 2016 - 07:39 PM, said:

I noticed this one issue where they basically cloned the Polymer renderer for questionable reasons, and this other issue they aren't including any of the third party expansions and whenever Randy is asked about it he loses his shit on Twitter. There's this one other issue where Jon sounds like he doesn't give a fuck when reciting his Duke lines. Everything else looks good except Gearbox owning the franchise and squeezing out big piles of dookie all over it instead of giving a licence to someone who might make something not shit like Voidpoint or Interceptor, both of which would shoot loads of hot cum all over the room if they had their chance to work on a Duke Nukem game. The maps look good and the music is something new so that might balance everything else out.

It is good to hear that there's a line of communication open. Maybe it'll give you a chance to tell Randy that he has absolutely zero idea about the Duke Nukem franchise and character and should get George Broussard in as an adviser, even though he has shit planning skills he would be able to direct the character and franchise properly, or hand off a licence to a company that actually gets the franchise.

Posted Image
Every single point I make is complete truth. Anyone who disagrees is ignorant of the truth, You can't handle the truth. Spurt spurt. ;)

User is offline   Kathy 

Isn't widescreen "issue" easily solved with horizontal fov change?

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

TerminX, if you report the gap in the machinegun HUD sprite, better also mention the scuba gear. It also consists of two parts, iirc. If the machinegun suffers from that bug, any other HUD sprite that works the same way will most likely show the same glitch.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 29 September 2016 - 09:43 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNightFright, on 29 September 2016 - 09:06 AM, said:

TerminX, if you report the gap in the machinegun HUD sprite, better also mention the scuba gear. It also consists of two parts, iirc. If the machinegun suffers from that bug, any other HUD sprite that works the same way will most likely show the same glitch.

The freezer uses multiple parts, too, very similar to the chaingun. Also the RPG. Let's just say it was pretty common... I don't know why they did it that way unless video memory was so tight on those old systems that swapping out large sprites in the hud caused performance issues.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I think they did it to reduce sprite size so that the weapon wouldn't get so pixelated when you made the view screen smaller, plus, it gives you a larger sprite when it's all put together.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

The reason is to save memory. ART tiles don't use any compression. If your weapon has multiple animation frames, it saves memory if you only duplicate the portion of the sprite that changes.

User is offline   Ronin 

I don't like the new voice, I wonder will the new lines from the expansion play in the older episodes.

I'll probably buy it when I'm a bit drunk or on sale to play the expansion and to have another slightly different version of Duke 3D.

I've lost count of how many times I've bought this damn game but if I'm going to give Shovelware the benefit of doubt, I'll do it for Duke 3D.

At the end of the day if this does well then it could encourage the development of a new Duke game that actually more like Duke 3D.

I don't mind that Duke 3D keeps resurfacing in the mainstream at a cost, the world needs characters like Duke 3D Duke now more than ever.

This new release is more than likely the Shovelware way of testing the public appetite for the franchise so how well it does will determine how much they will be willing to invest in the IP.

I'll be more forgiving than the mappers when playing, I won't notice the subtle things like those guys so I'll probably enjoy it more.

Posted Image

User is offline   Lunick 

Thanks Gearbox for reusing all the Duke Nukem 3D XBLA/Megaton Edition achievements http://psnprofiles.c...sary-World-Tour

Posted Image

Self deprecating DNF reference. Something to keep in mind whenever 'Duke Begins' finally rolls out.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostTrikeen, on 29 September 2016 - 07:01 PM, said:

Self deprecating DNF reference. Something to keep in mind whenever 'Duke Begins' finally rolls out.

Why do you people stick to "Duke Begins" as the next game? That was a side-game that has been abandoned for what, ten years soon? There is AFAIK no indication that anyone's gonna do Duke Begins. Which was a shitty idea for a game, anyway.

User is offline   ---- 

View Postnecroslut, on 29 September 2016 - 10:20 PM, said:

Why do you people stick to "Duke Begins" as the next game? That was a side-game that has been abandoned for what, ten years soon? There is AFAIK no indication that anyone's gonna do Duke Begins. Which was a shitty idea for a game, anyway.

So what ... Duke Nukem Forever started out as a sidescroller too... ;)

http://dukenukem.wik..._(Side-Scroller)

Besides ... where are references or hints that Duke Begins was planned as a sidescroller .... ???

View Postfuegerstef, on 29 September 2016 - 11:13 PM, said:

So what ... Duke Nukem Forever started out as a sidescroller too... :D

http://dukenukem.wik..._(Side-Scroller)

Besides ... where are references or hints that Duke Begins was planned as a sidescroller .... ???

Wakey wakey, he said side-game. Not side-scroller. Honest mistake ;)

User is offline   Valhalla 

View PostLunick, on 29 September 2016 - 05:51 PM, said:

Thanks Gearbox for reusing all the Duke Nukem 3D XBLA/Megaton Edition achievements http://psnprofiles.c...sary-World-Tour

Not all of them, it's missing the incredibly hard to get 500 multiplayer kills achivement, I only just finished getting that for megaton last week by mass organizing a multiplayer all-nigher for deathmatches with 7 other players. And that will be all but impossible to get after world tour sadly.

Posted Image

At last

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View PostPikaCommando, on 30 September 2016 - 02:03 AM, said:

Posted Image

At last

They cut Sam's cameo from DNF to put him in DN3D?

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 30 September 2016 - 02:30 AM

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options