User is offline   Lunick 

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Posted Image

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

Posted Image

Really Randy...really.. "it exposes how bad videogame journalism is! they should have factchecked!' Fact checked the story you the CEO of the company personally told them? Fuck. You.

This post has been edited by HiPolyBash: 29 September 2016 - 09:41 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostHiPolyBash, on 29 September 2016 - 09:20 PM, said:

Really Randy...really.. "it exposes how bad videogame journalism is! they should have factchecked!' Fact checked the story you the CEO of the company personally told them? Fuck. You.

When you're above the law you can do whatever you want and behave anyway you want. Just ask Sega & 2k.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

How does he expect people to buy that? Does he think we're stupid? Or did he really purposely tell a false story just to "prove how bad journailsm is at fact checking even what they're told verbatim."

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 September 2016 - 08:33 AM

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Streaming pixel art right now: https://www.twitch.tv/vazovski_art

User is offline   Sanek 

Just how many nicknames Artyom will change during his lifetime?
I don't know, but many years later, I can say to my granchildren that I was there, at the dawn of Frog! ;)

User is offline   Forge 

Posted Image

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

Posted Image
Holy shit this fucking guy

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

In one of those meaningless coincidences that life is full of, I just finished playing Cherenkov Station (by Supertanker), and then went to Facebook, where the very first thing I saw was a post by a friend of mine about Doctor Manhattan and Cherenkov radiation. I had never even heard of Cherenkov radiation before tonight.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostHiPolyBash, on 30 September 2016 - 08:48 PM, said:

Posted Image
Holy shit this fucking guy

That's something really weird for someone to say.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Well crap.

User is offline   Forge 

time to install tor

User is offline   Sanek 

Posted Image

View PostSanek, on 06 October 2016 - 03:00 PM, said:

Posted Image

I guess it is his attempt to get your attention.

User is offline   Lunick 

Posted Image

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 20161013_203811.jpg

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

How do you and Jimmy get along so well? He seems to want to live in a Post-Law Society.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostYatta, on 13 October 2016 - 07:40 PM, said:

Posted Image

nice boobs
(now you can't un-see it)

This post has been edited by Forge: 13 October 2016 - 08:52 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Yatta is a pizza lawyer.

User is offline   Jeff 

Mmmm pizza.

Posted Image

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Nice...surplus eBay rackmount server? I've seen those things go for pennies on the dollar.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 14 October 2016 - 10:58 PM

Nah, I've been piecing it together for a year or so, it's all new parts.

Not completely finished yet, needs a capture card but I have one on order, a StarTech as they were the only company that replied to my questions, within 48 hours no less. Feel wasteful running the first four drives in RAID 1+0, but I'll probably move them over to RAID 0 when I get a NAS (Or a cheap Celery/whatever AMD makes now to use as one) down the line to back things up to, in the mean time I'm just paranoid due to data loss which happened a few years ago.

Doubt if I'll change the GPU, the GT730 is brilliant at running Windows and Vegas, certainly doesn't care about web browsing and is capable of running The Sims 3 quite well as that's mostly CPU bound anyway.

May change the CPU cooler because my friend copied my spec list and finished the machine a year ago, he reports that the Intel cooler is not very good, hard to find good heat sinks now though. Maybe I'll just buy one of those water kits as they seem quite capable now and this case sure won't fit 60mm thick rads like my old one, so custom loops are pointless and needlessly expensive as I'd want to cool other things with it as well. Whole thing only runs stock speed anyway.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 15 October 2016 - 04:55 PM

Nice setup, but why the Xeon? Seems like you could get similar performance for less.

Startech makes great shit, especially if you like retro hardware. They still manufacture ATX 1.0 PSU's with -5v rails and other cool shit.

They engineer and design everything they sell, they don't just stick their names on other people's chink wares. I love their stuff, it's well worth the premium. I had a 400W PSU of their cease to power on and they had a brand new, in retail box replacement at my door in under a week. Kick ass service.

Intel's coolers do indeed suck. They've been using the same design since Sandy Bridge and it seems to be more inadequate with each generation since everything after Sandy has thermal cum between the die and heat spreader instead of solder. I finally overclocked my non-dud Sandy and it's remarkable how cold it runs compared to the later generations.

If you're looking for a cheap NAS I'd highly recommend the AMD AM2 platform. It's substantially cheaper - I wanted a heavy duty ASRock board with overkill voltage regulators, solid caps, a thick PCB, and tons of SATA ports for RAID 1. Intel boards are $50-80 more on average and both have competent on board RAID. I just want the thing to last and be under as little stress as possible and it's cheaper with AMD.

Oh, and AMD is just easier to set up due to the whole driver thing. Intel seems to drop chipset support after only a couple years, AMD maintains it for what seems like eons. They JUST released the final 700 series chipset driver last summer - that's seven years of support! For the AHCI/RAID support under Win10 I have to download the final Intel RST driver from December 2013 (anything later won't work and only trial and error will confirm that, no documentation), use 7zip to extract Intel's executable then run the 64-bit version as an admin, and set it for "Previous versions of Windows" under compatibility. If I try to run it as is it will claim it is unsupported.

I'm still running Windows 7 but shit like that makes my piss boil. This board, which you manufactured, was discontinued only three and a half years ago. Two years after discontinuation, you dropped support for all 7-series chipsets, a platform that had AT LEAST tens of millions of units sold. FUCK YOU INTEL.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 16 October 2016 - 02:06 AM

double post

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 16 October 2016 - 02:04 AM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostForge, on 30 September 2016 - 06:11 PM, said:

Posted Image

Actually, you can. It's called cannibalism. ;)

View PostYatta, on 13 October 2016 - 07:40 PM, said:

So, are you and Harry gonna try to burglarize the McCallisters again this Christmas? :D

This post has been edited by Duke Rocks: 16 October 2016 - 03:07 AM

View PostPerson of Color, on 16 October 2016 - 01:46 AM, said:

Nice setup, but why the Xeon? Seems like you could get similar performance for less.

Stability and reliability. An equivalent Core processor costs a lot more and isn't guaranteed to be as stable in the long run, it would probably fine, but for what I'm doing the Xeon is the best bang-for-the-buck long term. There is every possibility that this machine will, like the old one, work very long hours for over a decade before it is replaced. I stick with what I know works.

Startech makes great shit, especially if you like retro hardware. They still manufacture ATX 1.0 PSU's with -5v rails and other cool shit.

They engineer and design everything they sell, they don't just stick their names on other people's chink wares. I love their stuff, it's well worth the premium. I had a 400W PSU of their cease to power on and they had a brand new, in retail box replacement at my door in under a week. Kick ass service.

I know, but I wasn't sure any capture card did what I want and I'd like to avoid using converters again. I was swaying more to buying another BlackMagic but as always, their customer support is shit if not non-existent, so I went with StarTech. Helps that they also admitted it had never been tested the way I want to use it, but I could RMA it if it didn't work for me, referencing my correspondence with the support guy who answered me. Customer service is equally as important as selling a good product.

Intel's coolers do indeed suck. They've been using the same design since Sandy Bridge and it seems to be more inadequate with each generation since everything after Sandy has thermal cum between the die and heat spreader instead of solder. I finally overclocked my non-dud Sandy and it's remarkable how cold it runs compared to the later generations.

Whilst it hasn't been awful up to now, it's still sitting higher than I'd like under load.

If you're looking for a cheap NAS I'd highly recommend the AMD AM2 platform. It's substantially cheaper - I wanted a heavy duty ASRock board with overkill voltage regulators, solid caps, a thick PCB, and tons of SATA ports for RAID 1. Intel boards are $50-80 more on average and both have competent on board RAID. I just want the thing to last and be under as little stress as possible and it's cheaper with AMD.

I was thinking of AMD, a guy I talk to on Skype recently got an ITX board with a new "Athlon" on it, it performs impressively and was dirt cheap. My only issue with it is the power consumption is a little higher than I'd like, so one of those 3 Watt Celeron's might be cheaper in the long run when that is factored in. I shall check the range and available boards for both at a later time, I am currently not up to speed on what is out there or what boards my preferred makers offer for lower power systems. Cost and availability are what matters here, so I'm not really bothered what vendor the CPU comes from so long as it does what I want it to do. I suppose I could always underclock and undervolt it way below spec to save power.

Oh, and AMD is just easier to set up due to the whole driver thing. Intel seems to drop chipset support after only a couple years, AMD maintains it for what seems like eons. They JUST released the final 700 series chipset driver last summer - that's seven years of support! For the AHCI/RAID support under Win10 I have to download the final Intel RST driver from December 2013 (anything later won't work and only trial and error will confirm that, no documentation), use 7zip to extract Intel's executable then run the 64-bit version as an admin, and set it for "Previous versions of Windows" under compatibility. If I try to run it as is it will claim it is unsupported.

I've found the opposite, but on older hardware, so things may have changed in the intervening decade. I haven't had a problem with Intel drivers yet and being a NAS I'd want to access from DOS machines and such, I wouldn't be too worried about updating the operating system at any point. Security is of little concern as it would be on my second network, which does not have connectivity to the internet or WiFi.

I'm still running Windows 7 but shit like that makes my piss boil. This board, which you manufactured, was discontinued only three and a half years ago. Two years after discontinuation, you dropped support for all 7-series chipsets, a platform that had AT LEAST tens of millions of units sold. FUCK YOU INTEL.

On Windows 10 Pro now and never looking back, despised 7ista from the start, it was slow and buggy. Windows 10 is snappy as hell and seems very stable. The new interface is really quick to use too as I can easily get to Vegas/Capture/Browser right from the start, everything seems to run smoother and it just makes sense. Definitely made up for the blunders in Windows 8.

User is offline   Jeff 

View PostDuke Rocks, on 16 October 2016 - 03:05 AM, said:

Actually, you can. It's called cannibalism. ;)

I've read from cannibals that ass doesn't taste very good. It's quite hard too compared to other parts of the body.

This post has been edited by Jeff: 17 October 2016 - 12:42 PM

Share this topic:

• 738 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options