• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostTrooper Dan, on 26 September 2016 - 09:23 PM, said:

The only reason I can think of for why you would want to develop for World Tour is the assumption that it will have a larger player base. Well, it probably will, for a while. But in the long run, there's not much reason to think there will be a future in it.
I agree. Just like Megaton it'll give a well appreciated boost to our community in terms of new players and new mappers. But in the end EDuke32 will be what lasts. Considering the huge amount of great free stuff available I probably won't pay for WT and wait for a donated or giveaway version. Just like I did with Megaton.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostKathy, on 27 September 2016 - 07:42 AM, said:

Links?

I didn't save them, but they were on Facebook shortly after the World Tour trailer was released. I remember one of them. It was basically just someone commenting that he didn't think the recordings were that great and Jon replied with, "Well, fuck you!" or something along those lines.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

JSTJ is just another useless liberal - I can bet you dollars to donuts that he's voting blue. (He wouldn't do voice work for T-rump etc..)
On top of that, people will guard their useless job like a pitbull because you're f*cking with their easy money.

The old saying "never meet your heros" comes to mind.

This post has been edited by Robman: 27 September 2016 - 11:41 AM

What disappoint me a little bit is both Scott Miller and JSJ saying "if you're gonna vote for Trump go ahead and delete me I don't like you". I don't live in the US and I personaly don't care but damn... You both have fans for your work in videogames. Why turn them against you for politics? With that attitude families shouldn't talk again lol

A little off topic but I had to mention it : P

What if Randy Pitchford go ahead and say I will vote for Trump? He won't do Duke voice again?

This post has been edited by EvilEmperorZoRG {GR}: 27 September 2016 - 11:47 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

JSJ was smart not to do voicework for Trump because it would negatively impact his career. A lot of people would not hire someone who had done work for Trump's campaign. Now let's get back on topic!

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostTerminX, on 27 September 2016 - 10:09 AM, said:

There are a few earlier versions of the Battlelord, but they all use more or less the final version of the mesh. Some of them have different animations. There are some frames with no weapon, some variations on the walking animation (tuning things like the gait and swing of the weapon, etc), and an unused melee attack that was cut from the game.

Ah, I'd love to see that melee attack. I mean, it's not like it's needed really (who gets close to a BLord?) but perhaps the animation can be turned in him throwing something?

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostEvilEmperorZoRG {GR}, on 27 September 2016 - 11:46 AM, said:

What disappoint me a little bit is both Scott Miller and JSJ saying "if you're gonna vote for Trump go ahead and delete me I don't like you". I don't live in the US and I personaly don't care but damn... You both have fans for your work in videogames. Why turn them against you for politics? With that attitude families shouldn't talk again lol

A little off topic but I had to mention it : P

What if Randy Pitchford go ahead and say I will vote for Trump? He won't do Duke voice again?

LOL! They actually said that?
They are utter and complete fools. Their forté is games and talking funny, the political realm is so far off their Radar, it's embarrassing to behold.

Would you hook your wagon to people who would turtle and cry like a little girl in the trenches? I'd call that a hindrance.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 27 September 2016 - 11:51 AM, said:

JSJ was smart not to do voicework for Trump because it would negatively impact his career. A lot of people would not hire someone who had done work for Trump's campaign. Now let's get back on topic!
We are on topic and it's obviously not just about doing voicework now is it? You should just be "Dan," there's obviously no trooper there ;)

This post has been edited by Robman: 27 September 2016 - 12:02 PM

View PostRobman, on 27 September 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

LOL! They actually said that?
They are utter and complete fools. Their forté is games and talking funny, the political realm is so far off their Radar, it's embarrassing to behold.

Would you hook your wagon to people who would turtle and cry like a little girl in the trenches? I'd call that a hindrance.

For a guy that comes off as a badass, JSJ is such a pussy in real life.

User is offline   Engel220 

View PostRobert Stever, on 27 September 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

For a guy that comes off as a badass, JSJ is such a pussy in real life.

He plays a badass character, but not all actors embody the characters they play.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostEngel220, on 27 September 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

He plays a badass character, but not all actors embody the characters they play.

Thanks Captain Obvious.

User is offline   Engel220 

View PostRobman, on 27 September 2016 - 12:16 PM, said:

Thanks Captain Obvious.

You're welcome.

View PostEngel220, on 27 September 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

Posted Image

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

Maybe this is the real reason why Jon doesn't try to make Duke sound like Clint Eastwood anymore. ;)

Posted Image

In all honesty, though, I don't see it as a good idea for him to express political views with his fans as much as he does. He's free to do so, but I wouldn't in his position. I don't see that benefitting him any because he has fans from both sides... and I'm sure he's tuned-out quite a few of them on one side by now. Asking his followers to unfriend him if they support Trump seems a bit extreme to me. What happened to respecting differing views? You don't even have to respect their views. You can just ignore them. I can ignore things I don't agree with just fine if I choose to.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 27 September 2016 - 12:52 PM

User is offline   Valhalla 

Well this sure turned political fast, but at least I seem to be in agreement with most here.

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

So we have gone from talking about how Jon sounds like shit since Duke Forever and him being unable to accept any criticism, basically a big fuck you to all the fans, to talking about some over grown orange fuck whose running for president named Drumpf or some shit. Just want to understand this.

'When i started this business all I had were the clothes on my back, and $1,000,000 US dollars'

Just for the record, I don't think it's unanimous among fans that he sounds bad in DNF. Plenty of Duke 3D user maps and whatnot include voice lines from DNF, including maps by posters on here. I personally think he sounds terrific in DNF, but we have discussed this stuff before. Tis all personal taste.

I do think some of his lines and especially pain groans sound bad in World Tour though, but most of them I think sound pretty solid. Though more in the smooth style of a Time to Kill or DNF Duke than Duke 3D, so I can see the criticism.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 27 September 2016 - 08:16 PM

I thought the lines in Time To Kill were better than Duke Forever..a lot of the lines in Duke Forever just sound like someone trying to make their voice sound deeper but some of them are admittedly not bad. World Tour sounds just terrible tho. Even YouTube comments are saying it sounds crap, the chat during the PAX panel was mainly people saying Randys song was shit and Jon sounded terrible. It sorta highlights things much more when people that aren't even fans who sleep with their duke body pillows are complaining about him not sounding like Duke.

Will there be any walls built?

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Hearing that JSJ got offended by criticism is truly heartbreaking as a fan cause now I may look at him the same way I look at Bitchford, but I never saw his offended posts so I don't know what he said, can't fully judge until then.
Though I do think it's a good idea that fans vote on a poll and then show Jon the results.

I do get why people prefer the teeth grinding voice to the newer voice and I do too, as I consider Time to Kill & Manhattan Project as the best Duke talk, but I don't have a problem with the new Duke voice as it sounds pretty much identical to classic Duke sometimes, but the new Duke talk should just stay in new Duke games as that's where it would fit, when it's thrown in Duke3D with all the old sounds still there, it just sounds wrong.

If I even buy World Tour I'm betting I'll instantly switch the Duke talk back to classic Duke talk and just rip the new Duke talk for my animations.

User is offline   jet_nick 

View PostTerminX, on 27 September 2016 - 10:09 AM, said:

There are a few earlier versions of the Battlelord, but they all use more or less the final version of the mesh. Some of them have different animations. There are some frames with no weapon, some variations on the walking animation (tuning things like the gait and swing of the weapon, etc), and an unused melee attack that was cut from the game.

Terminix so you do to increase the curiosity to seeing all those betas ;)
Anyway there are earlier version for cycloid emperor ?

I think the absolute high point for Duke's voice was in Manhattan Project.
The lines were good, the quality was great, the delivery was awesome and the timing on some of them, most notably the "Pigs will fly" line after the first boss, or any of the ones during the Roach Queen boss battle, were actually quite funny.
Though I do think some post-processing was applied to them.

As for World Tour, I think the bad reception comes from a combination of bad video quality, bad volume mixing in the videos, bad meshing between really low and really high quality sounds and the pain screams that sound really off.
DN:MP actually has pain sounds that still fit the Duke voice, but for all of them he doesn't really shout as much. I think Jon can't really maintain the voice all that well when he has to raise it, which might also be because he's 20 years older.

User is offline   Trebor_UK 

View PostDoom64hunter, on 28 September 2016 - 12:50 AM, said:

The lines were good, the quality was great, the delivery was awesome and the timing on some of them, most notably the "Pigs will fly" line after the first boss, or any of the ones during the Roach Queen boss battle, were actually quite funny.
Though I do think some post-processing was applied to them.

As for World Tour, I think the bad reception comes from a combination of bad video quality, bad volume mixing in the videos, bad meshing between really low and really high quality sounds and the pain screams that sound really off.
DN:MP actually has pain sounds that still fit the Duke voice, but for all of them he doesn't really shout as much. I think Jon can't really maintain the voice all that well when he has to raise it, which might also be because he's 20 years older.

The best Duke pain sounds are the ones in Duke 3D MP/Coop.
I like how they were different to the Singleplayer ones.

Why can't Jon just do those again!?

This post has been edited by Trebor_UK: 28 September 2016 - 02:12 AM

User is offline   X-Vector 

He can, but he won't.
JSJ doesn't like doing the voice that way and apparently Gearbox isn't fond of the Duke Nukem 3D style either, so there's not much hope of getting the 'real' Duke back.

Honestly, I think plenty of fans would not even like it if it was exactly the same performance but in smooth high quality. 20 years and nostalgia can't be matched, people who want the original won't get that nostalgia kick unless it's that exact low quality clipping compressed audio.

Duke is equal parts Clint Eastwood and smooth Radio DJ, that's half the appeal to me. If he was just a Clint Eastwood parody/homage, that would be one dimensional. That he's an action badass who has this smooth radio DJ style voice is what makes Duke unique and even more funny and awesome in my book. But of course, there's a lot of subtleties involved in striking the exact right balance to please all the fans.

Either way, while I do think JSJ is the man and still sounds great, a director should ideally step in and notice that stuff like the pain sounds sound bad, and maybe give more direction for some of the lines.

User is offline   HMNuke93 

Can't stand that recolored Cycloid as the final boss of the new episode, so i'm making my own replacement.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by HMNuke93: 28 September 2016 - 05:49 AM

User is offline   neoacix 

If Donald Trump would be Duke Nukem, the first thing he would do in Duke3D is get off the wall limit. xD

View PostDoom64hunter, on 28 September 2016 - 12:50 AM, said:

This x100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

You're completely right!

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 28 September 2016 - 03:32 AM, said:

Duke is equal parts Clint Eastwood and smooth Radio DJ, that's half the appeal to me.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Found an image showing what is used for the firefly enemy! It's from the box art of that interactive screensaver. I had forgotten all about it.
Posted Image
Also from what TX said, it makes sense that he uses the liztroop sounds.

PS the version in the game looks a little different (armor pattern is different, and there's a red tip to his gun), but you can tell it's the same character.

This post has been edited by Tristan: 28 September 2016 - 10:50 PM

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostxMobilemux, on 27 September 2016 - 09:20 PM, said:

Though I do think it's a good idea that fans vote on a poll and then show Jon the results.

Are we talking about like a strawpoll or something else?

I will give my vote in a heartbeat to the classic Dirty Harry teeth clinched D3D voice.

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 28 September 2016 - 03:32 AM, said:

Honestly, I think plenty of fans would not even like it if it was exactly the same performance but in smooth high quality. 20 years and nostalgia can't be matched, people who want the original won't get that nostalgia kick unless it's that exact low quality clipping compressed audio.

Sorry but I just can't agree with this. If it was high def versions of the classics, that would be a dream come true.

I've said it previously I believe, that I would love to hear some of the lower quality recordings like "Hail to the king baby" in their full potential because the compression or whatever.. has messed with some of the lines clarity.

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options