Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour - Duke4.net Forums

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

View Postspessu_sb, on 05 September 2016 - 08:03 AM, said:

I just think due to what Megaton offered, it's not fair that the price is "only" high on PC, because of being available on consoles aswell.

I know what you mean, and it might not be fair. I can understand that many are pissed for that reason.
I'm just happy that I'll be able to play one of my favorite games on the current console gen (and even in coop with friends).

User is offline   t800 

View PostKathy, on 05 September 2016 - 07:39 AM, said:

About Randy in the commentaries. You might need to have some kind of moderator, so it's all right if he talks. But it would be better to have someone like TX in that role providing general direction for discussion.

But is he *really* necessary? Just look at developer commentaries from Source engine games.
-----------------------------------
Quoting from that Gamespot interview.

We also added one new enemy type, which is the Firefly. They look tiny, like they got shrunk, and then they'll expand into big monsters and shoot you with flames.

Whoever here mentioned Newbeast with wings, I am pretty sure you are right. I think you should ask for royalties, Jblade. :D

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Why this guy captures his gameplay if it sucks...

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

FOR GOODNESS SAKE. Get somebody who knows what they're DOING.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

Apparently it's normal for the Professional Video Game Journalists® to play like that. I think there must be someone better suited in the office who doesn't backtrack to the beginning of the map like 5 times.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 05 September 2016 - 08:47 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

I think it's supposed to be this way like a "let's play" video. Like someone playing it the first time, which it looks like it.
Although, I do understand why 20 year old game might not be the best candidate for this type of playing. But having someone sprinting through it wouldn't have been much better.

This post has been edited by Kathy: 05 September 2016 - 08:48 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostX-Vector, on 05 September 2016 - 06:26 AM, said:

Wouldn't the audio signal degradation take place in the end stage of the transition from source recording to game file?
I can't imagine that the original tapings done in a professional recording studio (apparently in San Diego) would have produced such a low grade sound quality.
These Playstation outtakes are another example; the wav files sound just as muffled as the voice work in the PC version and I find it almost impossible that the original recorded audio would not be significantly superior.

I don't imagine the poor sound quality has much to do with format or digital degradation. It just sounds like cheap radio equipment was used.

The shotgun fire sound kind of sounds like someone blowing into a microphone. The sound choice for the freezethrower firing was odd because of the length of the sound and how it crecendos up after the firing has taken place.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostShaq Fu, on 05 September 2016 - 05:55 AM, said:

The worst part of the developer commentary is when Randy sounds unhappy about the movie theater. "Oh... what? It's THAT kind of theater". Then Randy proceeds to quietly sigh and claim the original devs had "the mind of an adolescent".

You are really blowing it out of proportion. Do you understand sarcasm/humor? Randy was playing up a bit and feigning surprise that it was that kind of movie theater. The guy himself made a strip club map before he worked on Episode 4 for christ sake.
Also, he gave lots and lots of credit to 3DRealms when they bought the rights back in 2010/2011, always making sure to add in 3DRealms were the ones who created Duke. He doesn't need to constantly suck off 3DRealms every single time he gives an interview, anyone that knows what Duke 3D is knows who 3DRealms is and how they were the ones that originally created it.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

I really want JSJ to re-record the lines with this approach, because this literally sounds exactly like 1996. This just proves that since it was recorded as late as 2011, that if he really wants to do it, he still can.

@4:55

"and everything duke said was like this, with my teeth clinched the whole time"

Would be really awesome to hear high definition versions of some of the lines, that are kinda compressed ( and even damaged?) in duke3d. Such as the "hail to the king baby".

This post has been edited by spessu_sb: 05 September 2016 - 09:57 AM

User is offline   Shaq Fu 

View PostHulkNukem, on 05 September 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

You are really blowing it out of proportion. Do you understand sarcasm/humor?

Yeah, but Randy sure doesn't.

Posted Image

User is offline   Steveeeie 

View PostDI-MeisterM, on 05 September 2016 - 07:56 AM, said:

Yup porting to console is kinda expensive these days. And it seems they're porting it with all "features" (like multiplayer).

To blame the consoles for the price of the PC version is just total bullshit. its should be relatively cheaper 'these days' as the architecture is closer to the PC.

This is a re-release done on the cheap so that Gearbox can monopolise revenue for Duke Nukem 3D. Don't believe Randy when he said this wasn't a lazy cash in. Yeah they must have spent some money but this has definitely been done on the cheap.

The new graphics are lazy, they replaced the old propriety menu font with a shitty free army stencil font from dafont. The website is a cheap theme from themeforest that they have paid some intern to modify lets face it, its a bag of shit, the picture of duke in the trailer has just been taken from DNF and the textures are a total fucking mess. I wouldn't be surprised if they just recycled the lines Jon recorded for DNR as well. Jupiter Template

And I wish people would STFU about this new renderer like they put a bunch of money and work into it. They probably just took JonoF's Duke Port and added omni lights, normal maps and ambient occlusion. This isn't a stretch for a video game studio with money.

I mean come on guys. Rust is £15 right now and that has way more man hours put into it than this expansion.

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 05 September 2016 - 10:48 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 September 2016 - 08:39 AM, said:

FOR GOODNESS SAKE. Get somebody who knows what they're DOING.

I'm quoting this, but only to re-direct it to the people responsible for the new art and sound quality. Or maybe you meant it as a whole.

Like yeah, don't try to make me believe insane effort and money was spent on this when even promotional pictures are full of blatant visual issues.

When I think of it and how the promo is being handled, I really get a feeling of make believe. Like this is all new, revolutional for DN3D "bringing him back after 20 years!".

Dropping the names of the original designers does sound really cool, but they're not the only ones involved here.
What I mean is, it must be really frustrating to be Levelord or A. Blum and be forced to make a map with a new floor texture which does not repeat.

Then, there is the texture enhancement like normal mapping. Am I the only who noticed that, in the E1L1 bathroom screenshot, there is so much post processing put into the textures and light effects some people even believed they were using new textures. Yet, if you compare with other screenshots and videos, only that room looks like that. One of the most iconic rooms of the game. Makes for a nice first screenshot to put on the pre-order pages.
Then, there is also how E1L1, E1L2 and E1L3 seem to be CRAMMED with new light effects. But if you look at the other screenshots, it's used with a lot more caution. And "chance" makes it that it's those 3 first levels that are given to the press to show the world.

Although this difference in light could just be because Nerve handled the remaster of the original levels, and Levelord and Blum handled the new levels, but in any case the whole thing has a cheap taste for anything that wasn't done by any of the namedropped.

Edit : This being said, if Megaton had come out with a 20€ DLC consisting of a 8 levels episode by Levelord and Blum, I would have bought that DLC without question. I am confident this was about the equivalent price of something like Plutoniam Pak or Caribbean Life back in the day.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 05 September 2016 - 11:33 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

IIRC Levelord and Allen are the ones who placed the lights in the original maps. I know Allen did E1L1 at least.

User is offline   Paul B 

The product isn't even publicly available and its already taking a lot of flack. I say give it a chance, wait for it to come out and then see how it goes over. Maybe their shareware demo will include the first 8 levels of episode 5? Just kidding!

Anyway, I hope Randy realizes why this Duke 3d community is still alive and it is solely because of Voidpoint and their efforts. I also hope that this Duke 3D Steam Workshop allows the community to publicly post and share our content\mods\maps\art whatever within the workshop for easy integration into their new Duke3D game. Also on my wishlist would be to see PolymerNG with working TROR in a future patch along with session based multi-player where players can join and leave without sync errors or experiencing lag.

Hopefully Gearbox scans these forums! Spend some money it will be worth it ! =) Let's rival the Counter-Strike community!

This post has been edited by Paul B: 05 September 2016 - 12:54 PM

• el fundador

I got a response from Gearbox about the sound quality, but it was a thank you for pointing the problem out and not a confirmation that it'll be fixed.

About the Firefly: I don't know what work they did on it over the past 4 or 5 months, but when I was working with them more directly the Firefly was using a tile set constructed from an unused enemy created by Chuck Jones that I dug out of the prototype materials I have. That could have changed since then, but that's where things were at the last I saw them.

For anyone curious, those grey trooper guys in LameDuke actually evolved into the Liztroop we all know and love, one step at a time. The art I gave Gearbox represents one stage of that evolution. If you guys check out the back of the Duke Nukem 3D Screensaver and Entertainment Pack box you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm really hoping it made it in... it needed some touching up, but I thought it would be way cooler to have the new enemy be a Chuck Jones original instead of something hacked together out of other enemies.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostMetHy, on 05 September 2016 - 11:22 AM, said:

I'm quoting this, but only to re-direct it to the people responsible for the new art and sound quality. Or maybe you meant it as a whole.

Actually, I wasn't referring to the game but whoever was doing that playthrough in the IGN video of E1L3.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Has there been a good video of the new maps yet?
I don't care about seeing Hollywood Holocaust for the 18 millionth fucking time.

That commentary video was useless..

This post has been edited by Robman: 05 September 2016 - 01:04 PM

User is offline   cybdmn 

No GOG release, no money for Gearbox.

View PostJimmy Gnosis, on 04 September 2016 - 08:03 PM, said:

I don't think it really ever existed in a higher format, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't now. Total Meltdown seemed to have slightly higher quality sounds though.

Duke's original lines definitely existed in very high quality format, and they were used in the development of Total Meltdown:

(listen to the Duke talk at 0:13 and 1:27)

Even some of the sound effects, like the Sentry Drone's "SNAKATA" cry at 1:29, can be heard in high quality in these cut scene clips. Sadly, the question is whether any of these source files survived until today.

This post has been edited by Marphy Black: 05 September 2016 - 01:34 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostMarphy Black, on 05 September 2016 - 01:33 PM, said:

Duke's original lines definitely existed in very high quality format, and they were used in the development of Total Meltdown:

Not too crazy about the Duke Theme Song at the end of that video. This is the way it should be played:

This post has been edited by Paul B: 05 September 2016 - 01:49 PM

• el fundador

Or this way: http://sc55.duke4.ne...abbaglegacy.mp3

The only version of Grabbag produced under the direction of yours truly. :D

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostTerminX, on 05 September 2016 - 01:59 PM, said:

Or this way: http://sc55.duke4.ne...abbaglegacy.mp3

The only version of Grabbag produced under the direction of yours truly. :D

More readily available:

VertexGuy is hardcore, though. He plays better than I do.

User is offline   Engel220 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 September 2016 - 03:32 PM, said:

VertexGuy is hardcore, though. He plays better than I do.

I respect VertexGuy as a guitar player (he's a fucking excellent one and can play circles around myself), but I prefer your version in terms of creativity.

• el fundador

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 September 2016 - 03:32 PM, said:

More readily available:

Man, with all of the back and forth and specific directions I gave you regarding this track, I practically deserve to be credited as someone who helped with the composition. :D

I really think it's the best version of Grabbag ever. I might be biased because I paid money for it. :D

View PostTerminX, on 05 September 2016 - 12:27 PM, said:

I got a response from Gearbox about the sound quality, but it was a thank you for pointing the problem out and not a confirmation that it'll be fixed.

About the Firefly: I don't know what work they did on it over the past 4 or 5 months, but when I was working with them more directly the Firefly was using a tile set constructed from an unused enemy created by Chuck Jones that I dug out of the prototype materials I have. That could have changed since then, but that's where things were at the last I saw them.

For anyone curious, those grey trooper guys in LameDuke actually evolved into the Liztroop we all know and love, one step at a time. The art I gave Gearbox represents one stage of that evolution. If you guys check out the back of the Duke Nukem 3D Screensaver and Entertainment Pack box you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm really hoping it made it in... it needed some touching up, but I thought it would be way cooler to have the new enemy be a Chuck Jones original instead of something hacked together out of other enemies.

Is there a picture of this anywhere? All that stuff I remember using off the Atomic Edition CD.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Did they cut the red cross from health sprites?

Will this come with the atomic edition grp?

View PostDrek, on 05 September 2016 - 04:27 PM, said:

Did they cut the red cross from health sprites?

Will this come with the atomic edition grp?

Yes (the same thing was done with DOOM 3 BFG because the Red Cross has asked it not be used) and I doubt it.

The glowing blue health pickups in Doom 2016 have a light blue cross on them (almost white), those health pickups look pretty cool.

The health pickups in Overwatch have red crosses on them, and that's the best selling shooter in years. I guess Blizz don't care.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 05 September 2016 - 04:41 PM

Yeah it seems to be applied inconsistently. I prefer the cross because that's always represented health for me in games, but whatever. DOOM and DOOM II from the BFG release have that exact same swap though, a red and white pill in place of a red cross.

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options