Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour - Duke4.net Forums

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

View PostTerminX, on 04 September 2016 - 09:05 PM, said:

I let my contacts at Gearbox know about the issue with the sound effects. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything more about it.

You're the king!

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostJimmy Gnosis, on 04 September 2016 - 09:11 PM, said:

Again, the issue with green in Duke3D is that it doesn't work. The green colours in the game are so drab and olive-like that they just don't pop out at you like the red. You won't notice them.

Fullbright green could kinda work...

Botmatches confirmed? Source?

Now it's an insta-buy from me.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostPikaCommando, on 04 September 2016 - 09:31 PM, said:

Botmatches confirmed? Source?

Now it's an insta-buy from me.

View PostDemon Duke, on 04 September 2016 - 04:32 PM, said:

I don't know if this was posted yet
http://www.gamespot....h/1100-6443306/

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostDemon Duke, on 04 September 2016 - 04:32 PM, said:

I don't know if this was posted yet
http://www.gamespot....h/1100-6443306/

So many lies.

However, there is one thing hitching me. In the stream, Randy let escape a "new episodes" and now this guy has done it too.

Grammar mistake, or DLC episode in the works?

Weren't bots part of the base Atomic Edition? Or am I remembering this incorrectly and it was a mod making them work?

Edit :

View PostLunick, on 04 September 2016 - 03:42 PM, said:

I was kinda hoping that with the developer commentary I wouldn't hear Randy before episode 4/5...

When you said that I was scared the entire thing would be mostly Randy talking out of his ass spouting his revisionists wishes about things he wasn't part of, but judging from the video, he mostly lets the others do the talking, at least at this point of the game.

This being said, the only thing I learnt from the dozen voiceclips we see in that video is that the fire animation was part of some library that they got a licence for. Pretty slim. Looks like this commentary is aimed at new players mostly, trying to tell them how cool DN3D was in 1996, and hearing the designers re-discover the game. I'm afraid we won't learn much. But maybe it will clear some common misconceptions about Build and DN3D that we often hear from people.

Now, I am interested in what Randy has to say about "his" maps from ep4.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 04 September 2016 - 11:13 PM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Why do I have to think about this when I see that commentary feature (regarding what they are about to do with the anniversary edition)?

Posted Image

This post has been edited by NightFright: 04 September 2016 - 11:11 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

When I first pitched the developer commentary idea to Gearbox, my thought was that I could dig through the archive of prerelease material I have and we could take screenshots of what various areas looked like earlier in development and have them pop up on screen at various points in the game, similar to VH1 "Pop-Up Video", if any of you are familiar with that.

Unfortunately, the squabble over HTTKC prevented the kind of collaboration that would have been needed for that to work out, but I am glad the basic idea of dev commentary survived.

Oh well, plenty of opportunities to do something like that later.

User is offline   Malgon 

That actually sounds pretty cool. Maybe one day!

• The Truth is in here

Well, any comment going beyond very insightful and sophisticated stuff like "Look at those high-tech fire sprites!" would be highly appreaciated by everyone, I believe...

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 September 2016 - 01:39 AM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I want the track that played in the trailer, I'm replaying the trailer over and over listening to it!

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostTerminX, on 05 September 2016 - 12:54 AM, said:

When I first pitched the developer commentary idea to Gearbox, my thought was that I could dig through the archive of prerelease material I have and we could take screenshots of what various areas looked like earlier in development and have them pop up on screen at various points in the game, similar to VH1 "Pop-Up Video", if any of you are familiar with that.

Unfortunately, the squabble over HTTKC prevented the kind of collaboration that would have been needed for that to work out, but I am glad the basic idea of dev commentary survived.

Oh well, plenty of opportunities to do something like that later.

Yeah I didn't watch the whole video but there was very, very little "dev" commentary in there. Seems a shame to bring back the original devs and have them say stuff like "this interactivity was advanced for the day". That's the kind of stuff that anyone not living under a rock in 1996 could have told you.

Would have sure liked to see screenshots like you described, or maybe comments along the lines of what motivated them to put certain features in. The trouble with how they've put in the dev commentary is that they're in the mind set of "we've done it. It's been done. Let's move on and never work on it again", or otherwise being in the awkward position of having to replace the old commentary, or excessively bloat it up by putting in the things you described.

The ironic thing is that the dev commentary was surely meant to be a big selling point aimed at veteran players, not new ones (who proabably couldn't care less), and yet 99% of the information revealed is stuff that the veterans already know, and would only be news to new players.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 05 September 2016 - 03:48 AM

User is offline   deuxsonic 

I think if they're going to have developer commentary, the developers who actually made the game should be the ones talking. Let's hear from Ken Silverman and George Broussard and Lani Minella and Chuck Jones and Bobby Prince in addition to Allen Blum and Levelord and Lee Jackson and everyone else. Randy really shouldn't be in there at all because he had pretty much no role in the game at all save for a tiny bit of the unfinished maps he worked on.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postdeuxsonic, on 05 September 2016 - 03:50 AM, said:

I think if they're going to have developer commentary, the developers who actually made the game should be the ones talking. Let's hear from Ken Silverman and George Broussard and Lani Minella and Chuck Jones and Bobby Prince in addition to Allen Blum and Levelord and Lee Jackson and everyone else. Randy really shouldn't be in there at all because he had pretty much no role in the game at all save for a tiny bit of the unfinished maps he worked on.

Yeah you can tell he's really pushing it as a selling point rather than simply a favour to the fans, he's not even trying to hide it. The whole impression I got from the first 2 minutes of it was "oh yeah we're making a new episode it's going to be awesome" blah blah blah. Ok Randy, not sure what that's got to do with Hollywood Holocaust but do go on.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 05 September 2016 - 04:02 AM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

There is something desperately needed : a multilanguage dubbing like in Duke Nukem Forever (the french voice of Duke was verry good, Daniel Beretta is the true-french dubber of Arnold Schwartzeneger)

User is online   t800 

To TerminX:
That sounds great, too bad it couldnt be realized in some form. :D

And yeah, I feel like we will be only hearing from Randly, Blum, Levelord and Jackson. Randy shouldnt have any say in original 3 episodes in first place anyway. :D At least they should have got Goerge and Ken to talk about overall design and technical aspects.

Not to sound as elitist prick, but dont you think we deserve at least one promo video played with mouse & keyboard (especially regarding roots of game)? BTW I havent played Xbox360 port so I am wondering, how does that rewind feature work? Does it get saved in save game or is it just kept for current playing session?

User is offline   Shaq Fu 

The worst part of the developer commentary is when Randy sounds unhappy about the movie theater. "Oh... what? It's THAT kind of theater". Then Randy proceeds to quietly sigh and claim the original devs had "the mind of an adolescent".

Randy probably thinks he's one of the "mature" people who's too "adult" for content like that. Meanwhile, he's a 45 year old drunk singing like SpongeBob on stage about irrelevant garbage like gamergate because people on the internet hurt his feelings. I can't imagine the frustration TerminX had to go through knowing his great ideas were pushed aside by this guy.

This post has been edited by Shaq Fu: 05 September 2016 - 06:03 AM

Unfortunately if you have money like he does, you can be a fucking tremendous idiot that people have to deal with.

• The Truth is in here

We should "probably" be glad Randy isn't rubbing it in that he owns the Duke IP now and he can do whatever he wants with it in each and every commentary of the anniversary edition. He may also start singing there, so hey, it could be a lot worse still...

User is offline   Shaq Fu 

View PostNightFright, on 05 September 2016 - 06:14 AM, said:

We should "probably" be glad Randy isn't rubbing it in that he owns the Duke IP

I find it a little disrespectful how Randy has never mentioned 3D Realms as being the original company that created Duke Nukem 3D. He has no obligation to do so but I just find it weird.

Posted Image Imagine if they changed this to Gearbox Demolition Co.

This post has been edited by Shaq Fu: 05 September 2016 - 06:25 AM

All the more reason to just make the new episode a mod that can be used with the unspoiled original game.

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostJimmy Gnosis, on 04 September 2016 - 08:03 PM, said:

I don't think it really ever existed in a higher format, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't now. Total Meltdown seemed to have slightly higher quality sounds though.

Wouldn't the audio signal degradation take place in the end stage of the transition from source recording to game file?
I can't imagine that the original tapings done in a professional recording studio (apparently in San Diego) would have produced such a low grade sound quality.
These Playstation outtakes are another example; the wav files sound just as muffled as the voice work in the PC version and I find it almost impossible that the original recorded audio would not be significantly superior.

User is offline   ashura252 

View PostShaq Fu, on 05 September 2016 - 05:55 AM, said:

The worst part of the developer commentary is when Randy sounds unhappy about the movie theater. "Oh... what? It's THAT kind of theater". Then Randy proceeds to quietly sigh and claim the original devs had "the mind of an adolescent".

You're definitely hearing something that isn't there. He's not disappointed it's that kind of theatre. He's merely commenting on the reveal, pretending he didn't know what it was, and then making a joke about the adolescent minds behind it that implies he was one of them.

I think the dev commentary sounds fine. Keep in mind that this is just the first level, right as they started the session, and we didn't even hear a large portion of the clips for the level. Even if it turns out to be more like an interactive Let's Play with some of the original devs involved, that could end up pretty entertaining.

This post has been edited by ashura252: 05 September 2016 - 06:30 AM

I can NOW def. see the 20 bucks in this, especially with the developer commentary and all the multiplayer features + console porting.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostDI-MeisterM, on 05 September 2016 - 06:51 AM, said:

.. + console porting.

Don't want to be any dick but console porting? So price is now justified for PC players to have to pay 20€ just because of multiplatform release?

User is offline   Steveeeie 

This game used to be £5.99 on GOG, if I wanted better lighting I could load it up in eDuke32 for FREE.

I just don't think an extra £15.00 is reasonable for ONE extra episode when I used to be able to get FOUR episodes for £5.99.

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 05 September 2016 - 07:21 AM

Why can they not find a person who has played a video game before to do the videos for these sites? Even more so, playing the game on it's native platform? What is wrong with these sites that they have to bring in a random person off the street to play a level?

Don't you just want to slap them? God is that aggravating, for a game that's fucking 20 years old? Is everyone at these gaming sites like 12?

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 05 September 2016 - 07:25 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

They're not random people.

These are professional video game journalists. About time you realized who these guys really are.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 05 September 2016 - 07:36 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 04 September 2016 - 07:12 PM, said:

Very cool! For people who haven't clicked the link, Randy says he "believes so" for this having the option to use the old Duke voice.

Which isn't saying much, considering... TerminX has spoken, so it's good to hear then.

About Randy in the commentaries. You might need to have some kind of moderator, so it's all right if he talks. But it would be better to have someone like TX in that role providing general direction for discussion. Not sure if Randy is qualified, but he's at least enthusiastic.

This post has been edited by Kathy: 05 September 2016 - 07:47 AM

View Postspessu_sb, on 05 September 2016 - 07:06 AM, said:

Don't want to be any dick but console porting? So price is now justified for PC players to have to pay 20€ just because of multiplatform release?

Yup porting to console is kinda expensive these days. And it seems they're porting it with all "features" (like multiplayer).
So yup, this makes the price of 20 bucks OK for me.

btw I'll actual pay 2x 20 (1 steam / 1 ps4). Would prefer a GOG release on PC, though.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostDI-MeisterM, on 05 September 2016 - 07:56 AM, said:

Yup porting to console is kinda expensive these days. And it seems they're porting it with all "features" (like multiplayer).
So yup, this makes the price of 20 bucks OK for me.

btw I'll actual pay 2x 20 (1 steam / 1 ps4). Would prefer a GOG release on PC, though.

I just think due to what Megaton offered, it's not fair that the price is "only" high on PC, because of being available on consoles aswell.

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options