Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour - Duke4.net Forums

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

View PostMetHy, on 03 September 2016 - 12:09 AM, said:

That is very flattering of you for the community. I for one believe only a handful of usermaps have ever beaten the original game's maps. There are many aspects to level design which are neglected by most usermappers, including some very important ones like layout and flow. Instead, usermaps are more interested in creativity, coming up with new tricky effects and texture/sprite use. I mean, usermaps can be great, but they are something else, another category.

Now, do Levelord and Allen Blum still got it after 20 years... ?

I don't wanna divert attention to the controversial game, but Allen has been working on Duke stuff more recently than 20 years ago. But I know what you mean. :D It's a different style, a different skillset. My guess is these guys have still got it, Lee too.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 03 September 2016 - 12:16 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I'm happy to get a new edition of DN3D after all these years. I'm buzzing that the original level designers are coming back. Saying that...

I don't think it would have killed them to go back to the original source material and upped the res of some of the sprites (that is if they have them, and they aren't in the hands of Interceptor). There has been some effort to replace some of the original tiles - looking at the screens, none of this work seems to have been handled consistently.

Some of the artwork does look very bad - especially the red skybox of what looks like the Bundestag.

I'm still looking forward to it though.

Random note, I wonder if the leak saying it was developed by nerve software was intentional to keep Blum and Levelord a surprise?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

No. Nerve's logo is displayed on the bottom of the pages with the Gearbox logo. It's also on the Steam page under the developer credits. Most likley they handled production and artwork duties and Blum and LL did the levels.

Ummmm. One strange thing. If you click on 'home' on the website, it opens google's homepage. Urrrr....?

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 03 September 2016 - 12:45 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMetHy, on 02 September 2016 - 11:47 PM, said:

Ah. I don't believe the game will come with mapster. Actually I wonder how they're going to include the level editor, they can't actually include Mapster or even JFBuild without paying royalties to their creators, can they.
In B4 DOSbox Build from '96.

Hmm, come to think of it, if they want people to add dynamic lights in their maps, they're gonna have to include a new level editor. I wonder how they're going to handle this.

User is offline   ---- 

I for one believe only a handful of usermaps have ever beaten the original game's maps.

This. Imagine I upvoted your post seven times

User is offline   Steve 64 

Really 5 weeks what am I going to do for five weeks arghhhhh Guess I can Kick MrsRumbleRoses ass on Megaton intil then :D

From the site I see the new episode is called Alien World Order, cool sounding name.

I just hope that if this doesn't sell well, Gearbox assumes it's because people have bought this game dozens of times and not that people aren't interested in Duke.

What a disappointment... I bought this game 4 times already (Megaton Edition, 3D Realms download, PS1 and the original in box) and I can play so many new levels from mods. If it was a boxed anniversary edition it might worth the 20 euros... I just want a new game : P

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 03 September 2016 - 12:04 AM, said:

That doesn't necessarily mean that. I have a PC much higher than those specs, GTX 970 etc, and Polymer maps often lag for me and have a not great framerate. My guess is this new renderer will run much better than Polymer.

That said, my favorite way to play Duke will be Polymost on eduke forever I'm sure. But I like the look of this new renderer, and these new maps should be phenomenal for gameplay. I'm mostly excited for the new content, though it'll also be fun to replay Duke 3D with the all new voice lines etc. I love the sound of his re-recordings, though I'll still enjoy firing up the original version too.

PolymerNG runs way better than polymer, and it has dozens of shadow-casting lights on screen at any given time. The PolymerGB renderer doesn't have any shadows at all.

Right on, I'd definitely dig PolymerNG too.

So one more question to throw out there, you think this episode will have a secret level?

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostMetHy, on 02 September 2016 - 11:41 PM, said:

What is this supposed to be? London?

Posted Image

I'm prettty sure it's the Shakespearean Theater (which Randy confirmed in the stream to be in the game). If it's not this angle (if you think blocking off the street on the opposite side of the image is too much), it's the other side of the building, which I can't find pictures of.

Also.

View PostMetHy, on 02 September 2016 - 10:54 PM, said:

Egypt :

Posted Image

The design of the hieroglyphs looks like a simplified version of the one from The Fifth Element. Considering the order of symbols (fire, water, wind, earth) and the obviously same composition.

User is offline   MetHy 

Anything else actually interesting about the game said in the Stream ?

• Ancient Blood God

Don't recall anything, you can watch the stored Twitch video at

https://www.twitch.t...ware/v/87224479 (starts at 01:06:05, or 01:07:35 to skip the cringe).

That is very flattering of you for the community. I for one believe only a handful of usermaps have ever beaten the original game's maps. There are many aspects to level design which are neglected by most usermappers, including some very important ones like layout and flow. Instead, usermaps are more interested in creativity, coming up with new tricky effects and texture/sprite use. I mean, usermaps can be great, but they are something else, another category.

Now, do Levelord and Allen Blum still got it after 20 years... ?

What are those maps that you consider better?

It would be funny (but mostly sad) if Levelord and Allen loses to community mappers here with the Alien World Order maps.

Since this is the official fifth episode, I guess the Duke Nukem V thing from the source code won't ever be happening :V

User is offline   X-Vector 

After all that's been going on with Duke Nukem, 3D Realms and Gearbox these past years, it's dumbfounding to see people still taking the "shut up and take my money" approach based on the sole fact that some guys did something really great two decades ago.

Levelord: basically retired ("I'm ready for studding on the Back 40, son")
Lee Jackson: was a radio reporter, now a budding science fiction writer
Allen Blum III: Triptych - Duke Nukem Forever, Borderlands 2 DLC (?)
Jon St. John: once Duke Nukem, now douche Nukem

Not saying that that this new episode can't possibly be any good but whatever happened to "try before you buy", or at least testing out the waters a bit by awaiting people's reactions and watching some game footage when it's available (i.e. right after release)?
This name recognition based hype culture has gotten so bad that it not only affects the great unwashed, but has apparently spilled over to more niche gaming as well.

User is offline   Flesh420 

View PostX-Vector, on 03 September 2016 - 02:45 AM, said:

After all that's been going on with Duke Nukem, 3D Realms and Gearbox these past years, it's dumbfounding to see people still taking the "shut up and take my money" approach based on the sole fact that some guys did something really great two decades ago.

Not saying that that this new episode can't possibly be any good but whatever happened to "try before you buy", or at least testing out the waters a bit by awaiting people's reactions and watching some game footage when it's available (i.e. right after release)?
This name recognition based hype culture has gotten so bad that it not only affects the great unwashed, but has apparently spilled over to more niche gaming as well.

When I saw the trailer, I said. ... . I says, "Shut up and take my money!"

User is offline   X-Vector 

Well, it does have a full 20 seconds of new material.

User is offline   Kathy 

View Posthismasterplan, on 03 September 2016 - 01:19 AM, said:

I just hope that if this doesn't sell well, Gearbox assumes it's because people have bought this game dozens of times and not that people aren't interested in Duke.

Because people actually are interested?

:D
But seriously, I think that bringing Jon to the forefront of Duke marketing since 2011 was a bad idea.

This post has been edited by Kathy: 03 September 2016 - 03:08 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostPikaCommando, on 03 September 2016 - 02:42 AM, said:

What are those maps that you consider better?

It all depends on what perspective you take. In terms of classic 3DR style, Insurance Overload by Conrad Coldwood is the best usermap ever made. Layout, flow, gameplay, theme, architecture, it could fit right into a new DN3D episode. Even the art he created fits with the original game's art perfectly, more so than the stuff we see for the new episode.

User is offline   Jblade 

...the price they're asking is nothing to me. Somebody has to buy it and so since I have disposable cash I'll bite the bullet and tell people here how it is (actually I'll probably record a playthrough in fact) I'm never "shut up and take my money" about anything and nearly everybody here is saying it looks shit so I'm not sure where you're drawing this conclusion from.

I'm not a consumer whore, I'm just not tight about stupid niche games that are only gonna appeal to neckbeards anyway. I fucking hate AAA games so I don't mind spending money on things that actually interest me because who else is gonna buy or play it.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 03 September 2016 - 03:21 AM

User is offline   king karl 

so uh how about all those donald trump references at the start of the trailer? i have been calling duke the donald trump of video games for months now and its weird to see gearbox take the same approach

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostDaedolon, on 03 September 2016 - 02:28 AM, said:

Don't recall anything, you can watch the stored Twitch video at

https://www.twitch.t...ware/v/87224479 (starts at 01:06:05, or 01:07:35 to skip the cringe).

I'll try to summarize this to avoid anyone else the trouble of listening to Pitchford.

- JSJ making forced bad jokes in a stale Duke Nukem voice
- Randy admitting he didn't make map Pigsty
- claims they built the new stuff with "the original tools"
- claims he designed the London map, on paper, for Levelord to make in game. Supposedly has the parliament, the theatre and the london tower

I'm sorry if JSJ is reading this. I have nothing against him but I honestly find the Duke Nukem voices in the trailer apathetic. I think he could have done better.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 03 September 2016 - 03:32 AM

User is offline   Steveeeie 

View PostMetHy, on 03 September 2016 - 03:30 AM, said:

I'm sorry if JSJ is reading this. I have nothing against him but I honestly find the Duke Nukem voices in the trailer apathetic. I think he could have done better.

Duke keeps sounding camper.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

He sounds less intense for some reason. "Erm, I'm going to abort your whole friggin' species, maybe, if I really feel like it."

• Honored Donor

View Postking karl, on 03 September 2016 - 03:25 AM, said:

so uh how about all those donald trump references at the start of the trailer? i have been calling duke the donald trump of video games for months now and its weird to see gearbox take the same approach

I thought the trump references were funny. Why do they keep pushing the Duke for President idea though? It wasn't particularly funny or memorable the first time in DNF, and it more or less hasn't changed now. It still gives the impression that everyone in Duke's world is an idiot which really breaks the reliability to the game. In Duke 3D the world seemed like a reflection of our own society, sure it could be a bit odd at times and was somewhat more arbitrarily adult, but otherwise a pretty good mirror.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Gearbox probably thought that it's a brilliant idea to use elections hype to promote Duke Nukem, not to mention that elections or even Trump himself is surrounded by controversy right now just like Duke. Plus Trump is the most popular candidate in the entire world, even Japan care about American elections and support Trump. Pretty sure that Gearbox aren't the only one who used elections to promote their games either. I saw plenty of games starring Trump on Steam.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 03 September 2016 - 04:42 AM

• Honored Donor

Yeah but Duke announced he was running for president right at the end of DNF way back in 2011.

I agree with the person who said it a while back; the whole President Duke story idea really isn't all that interesting, at least for those outside of the US. I get that Duke is meant to be "ultra-american", but the gaming market has been global for a while now and they need to recognize there are probably more non-US players into Duke than within.

• Ancient Blood God

Wasn't he in a presidential election at the start of Manhattan Project?

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options