Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread  "Post and discuss new or updated textures/models for the HRP here"

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

So, at long last, I have taken a brave look at the commits since HRP 5.4 and have to say I am kinda shocked how little has happened since one year... There is really little there which would justify another refresh release any time soon unless some major stuff is still in the making.

Pulling off a new release this year would be desirable, but the question is: Is anybody still around who can do more than adding user maphacks or occasional spec-/normalmaps? And if so, can anything be accomplished till December 2016? (Don't get me wrong, I appreciate anybody still working on the HRP these days, regardless in which form, but ofc a new release should normally have something the average user is able to recognize as new.)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 03 August 2016 - 07:52 AM

User is offline   Spiker 

There is a lot of new things, be patient.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Like what?

User is offline   Steveeeie 

View PostNightFright, on 03 August 2016 - 07:49 AM, said:

So, at long last, I have taken a brave look at the commits since HRP 5.4 and have to say I am kinda shocked how little has happened since one year... There is really little there which would justify another refresh release any time soon unless some major stuff is still in the making.

Pulling off a new release this year would be desirable, but the question is: Is anybody still around who can do more than adding user maphacks or occasional spec-/normalmaps? And if so, can anything be accomplished till December 2016? (Don't get me wrong, I appreciate anybody still working on the HRP these days, regardless in which form, but ofc a new release should normally have something the average user is able to recognize as new.)

I'm extremely keen on having a stab at doing a remake of assets, as the the whole thing looks tired. but I'm holding out for md3's to be dropped as they are far to much hassle and just demotivate me.

User is offline   king karl 

hey i updated my hrp to 5.4 and....the devastator is missing! the first person model is gone, I think i noticed it in the startup log

EDuke32 2.0.0devel r5811 (32-bit) C++ build
Compiled Jul  4 2016 07:19:16
Using C:/Program Files (x86)/Valve/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/ for game data
Using C:/Program Files (x86)/Valve/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/addons/dc/ for game data
Using C:/Program Files (x86)/Valve/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/addons/nw/ for game data
Using C:/Program Files (x86)/Valve/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/addons/vacation/ for game data
Using C:/Users/Spencer/Desktop/duke nukem/duke3d/ for game data
Checking for updates...
Connecting to http://www.eduke32.com
Current version is 20120522... no updates available
Running on Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (build 6.1.7601)
Initializing SDL 2.0.4
Searching for game data...
Using C:/Users/Spencer/Desktop/duke nukem/duke3d/DukePlus/ for game data
Using "duke3d.grp" as main game data file.
Using group file "autoload/duke3d_hrp.zip".
Using group file "autoload/duke3d_music-sc55.zip".
Compiling: EDUKE.CON (36 bytes)
Including: DukePlus/dpcons/DUKEPLUS.CON (438941 bytes)
Using DEF file: dukeplus.def.
Updated eduke32.cfg
Using config file "DukePlus/dp.cfg".
Including: DEFS.CON (35992 bytes)
Including: USER.CON (45482 bytes)
Including: DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON (59323 bytes)
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:725: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_WORKSLIKE' to 1 (old: 0).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:726: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_SPAWNS' to 2 (old: 1).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:727: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_SXREPEAT' to 3 (old: 2).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:728: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_SYREPEAT' to 4 (old: 3).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:729: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_SOUND' to 5 (old: 4).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:730: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_ISOUND' to 6 (old: 5).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:731: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_VEL' to 7 (old: 6).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:732: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_EXTRA' to 8 (old: 7).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:733: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_DECAL' to 9 (old: 8).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:734: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_TRAIL' to 10 (old: 9).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:735: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_TXREPEAT' to 11 (old: 10).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:736: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_TYREPEAT' to 12 (old: 11).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:737: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_TOFFSET' to 13 (old: 12).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:738: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_TNUM' to 14 (old: 13).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:739: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_DROP' to 15 (old: 14).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:740: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_CSTAT' to 16 (old: 15).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:741: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_CLIPDIST' to 17 (old: 16).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:742: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_SHADE' to 18 (old: 17).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:743: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_XREPEAT' to 19 (old: 18).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:744: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_YREPEAT' to 20 (old: 19).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:745: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_PAL' to 21 (old: 20).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:746: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_EXTRA_RAND' to 22 (old: 21).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:747: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_HITRADIUS' to 23 (old: 22).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:748: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_VEL_MULT' to 24 (old: 23).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:749: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_OFFSET' to 25 (old: 24).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:750: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_BOUNCES' to 26 (old: 25).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:751: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_BSOUND' to 27 (old: 26).
DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON:752: warning: ignored redefinition of `PROJ_RANGE' to 28 (old: 27).
Including: DukePlus/dpcons/USERPLUS.CON (60852 bytes)
Including: DukePlus/dpcons/LIGHTS.CON (26079 bytes)
Including: DukePlus/dukebike/DUKEBIKE.CON (88372 bytes)
Including: DukePlus/dpcons/HUDPLUS.CON (70051 bytes)
Including: DukePlus/dpcons/PLAYERPLUS.CON (138530 bytes)
Including: DukePlus/dpcons/MONSTERPLUS.CON (245528 bytes)
Including: DukePlus/dpcons/CIVILIANS.CON (16898 bytes)
Including: DukePlus/strooper/STROOPER.CON (196470 bytes)
DukePlus/strooper/STROOPER.CON: At top level:
DukePlus/strooper/STROOPER.CON:114: warning: variable `rand' masks keyword.
Found 29 warning(s), 0 error(s).
Script compiled in 133ms, 628980 bytes
Initialized 24.0M cache
Loading "dukeplus.def"
Polymer High Resolution Pack (version 5.4.674)
.................................................................................
.....Warning: Failed loading MD2/MD3 model "highres/sprites/characters/1405_duke.md3"
Error: file "highres/sprites/firstperson/2532_cliphand.png" does not exist
Invalid frame name on line dukeplus.def:117
Removing model 470 due to errors.
Error: file "highres/sprites/firstperson/2510_devastator.png" does not exist
.......Error: file "DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES/GRAPHICS/MAP_EFFECTS/models/br_billboards/br_bill4.jpg"
 does not exist
.Error: file "DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES/GRAPHICS/MAP_EFFECTS/models/br_schoolbus/br_schoolbus.jpg"
 does not exist
Definitions file "dukeplus.def" loaded in 9550 ms.
Using RTS file "DUKE.RTS".
Initializing OSD...
0 joystick(s) found
Loading clip map: _clipshape0.map
clip map "_clipshape0.map": warning: sprite 80 pointing neither northward nor southward. X-flipping will be wrong.
clip map "_clipshape0.map": warning: sprite 81 pointing neither northward nor southward. X-flipping will be wrong.
Loaded clip map.
Executing "DukePlus/dp_settings.cfg"
Setting video mode 1024x768 (32-bpp fullscreen)
Disabling desktop composition...
OpenGL information
 NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTX 260/PCI/SSE2 3.0.0
Opened "DukePlus/textures" as cache file
Cache contains 107976 bytes of garbage data
Initializing Polymer subsystem...
PR : Initialization complete in 176 ms.
Initializing music...
Initializing sound... 32 voices, 2 channels, 16-bit 44100 Hz
Executing "autoexec.cfg"
Load tile 2492: p0-m4-e0 highres/screen/menu/2492_ver.png... 44 ms
Load tile 2493: p0-m4-e0 highres/screen/menu/2493.png... 93 ms

Wrote DukePlus/dp.cfg
Wrote DukePlus/dp_settings.cfg

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Postking karl, on 06 August 2016 - 06:58 AM, said:

hey i updated my hrp to 5.4 and....the devastator is missing! the first person model is gone, I think i noticed it in the startup log
Get the latest DukePlus.
Btw., we have a nice HRP Issues Thread over here. Using the attachment function or spoiler tags for large chunks of log files are also appreciated.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostSteveeeie, on 06 August 2016 - 03:13 AM, said:

I'm extremely keen on having a stab at doing a remake of assets, as the the whole thing looks tired. but I'm holding out for md3's to be dropped as they are far to much hassle and just demotivate me.

There are loads of issues with models with normal maps and Polymer. It could be issues with MD3 models and normals, but getting MD3s with working normals is just a huge pain in the arse. We've had to turn off normal maps and some specular on some models as we were spending all our time farting around trying to get an MD3 with proper normals exported.

The format was just never made to do this and it literally shows.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 07 August 2016 - 02:51 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I don't remember having all this trouble with the models in my Graveyard mod. I'll have to go back in there some day and do some testing for comparison. Maybe I just didn't notice the bugs.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 07 August 2016 - 03:48 PM

User is offline   Steveeeie 

View PostMark., on 07 August 2016 - 03:38 PM, said:

I don't remember having all this trouble with the models in my Graveyard mod. I'll have to go back in there some day and do some testing for comparison. Maybe I just didn't notice the bugs.

I didn't have problems with normal direction in the end, just getting it into game and correcting the normals was such a fuss.

User is offline   Mark 

Someone was smoking crack when they entered in these values for the Slimer model in the HRP.

specpower 100 specfactor 64

I just plugged in .8 and .4 for a quick look and its much better than the present numbers which have it looking goofy. Someone should readjust those numbers.

EDIT: The egg also has 100 and 64

This post has been edited by Mark.: 13 August 2016 - 06:33 PM

• The Truth is in here

Could you show some comparison screenshots between current HRP values and your own ones? Would be interesting to see how big the difference is.

Only the slimer and slimer egg are affected or are there other models with the same issue?

This post has been edited by NightFright: 24 August 2016 - 12:15 AM

User is offline   Mark 

HRP specpower 100 specfactor 64
parallaxbias 0.04 parallaxscale 0.05

MINE specpower .8 specfactor .4
parallaxbias 0.02 parallaxscale 0.02

This is a better starting point and may be slightly tweaked according to taste. The egg is pretty much the same thing. I didn't look for others because these were the only 2 I was using in my map that looked real bad. If there are others that have those high spec numbers they probably are not looking right.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: slimertest.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark.: 24 August 2016 - 02:17 PM

• The Truth is in here

Maybe someone thought it's cool if the slimer and the egg look like they are soaking wet. However, I agree that it's overdone. I have updated monsters.def with the values you have suggested.

There are two more cases where specpower/specfactor values are extreme, but I dunno if they look weird ingame or not.

characters.def
Spoiler

ice.def
Spoiler

This post has been edited by NightFright: 28 August 2016 - 11:59 PM

• Polymancer

There seems to be a lot of confusion and wrong information existing in the community about how Polymer handles things like specularity. That isn't the only model in there with double and triple digit spec and spec power values.

A lot of the problem is that a lot of the older assets, which were created before Polymer came along, have just been chucked into the pack without any consideration to how they will look under the new renderer. There really should have either had some basic values applied to them before they were released as 'polymer ready'. Sorry guys, but "techno-babble (...) which only the hardcore nerds are able/willing to follow" is what you really need to know before you can properly issue props or maintain the pack properly. :P

There should have been a lot more "hardcore nerd" decisions about what went into which pack.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 29 August 2016 - 05:15 AM

User is offline   Mark 

"Its a little bit harsh "

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: harsh.jpg

• The Truth is in here

Since nothing spectacular seems to be happening with the HRP lately, I have decided to at least put the latest SVN snapshot on the HRP website. It's just the HRP zipfile and nothing else.

Browsing through the SVN changelog since HRP v5.4 was released, there's really very little that deserves to be mentioned. There are a lot of new user maphacks, the slimer may not look so shiny any more due to fixed definitions and there are maybe a few textures that will show up in custom maps.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 27 September 2016 - 06:32 AM

If anybody's still making models, there's a fair few in The Birth chapter that I've noticed in the To-do list and lots in the Duke Caribbean and Nuclear Winter mods. Otherwise, there are some more textures.

BTW, a word of advice from me..... NEVER carry your phone in your sweatpants pockets (unless you can zip them up). I know it's not relevant, but I've just damaged my phone and I felt I should do a little
public service announcement.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostNightFright, on 27 September 2016 - 06:31 AM, said:

Since nothing spectacular seems to be happening with the HRP lately, I have decided to at least put the latest SVN snapshot on the HRP website. It's just the HRP zipfile and nothing else.
Good idea. Please add the svn revision number to the download description.

View Postdarkprince227, on 27 September 2016 - 07:22 AM, said:

If anybody's still making models, there's a fair few in The Birth chapter that I've noticed in the To-do list and lots in the Duke Caribbean and Nuclear Winter mods. Otherwise, there are some more textures.
It appears we have no active HRP contributors currently. Although something might be going on behind the scenes, inspired by the Polymer NG renderer development (halted).
Vaca and NW HRP haven't seen new items in ages, so better hibernate instead of holding your breath.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 27 September 2016 - 11:13 AM

• Polymancer

As part of the project we are working on, there will be some fall-out of models that could replace those in the HRP. I'm not wanting to give any details yet, but they exist.

The project is intentionally NOT trying to remake a chunk of the HRP, so there could be some debate as to if you want to include some of them as they weren't made to ape the sprite.

• The Truth is in here

I think at this point, ANY model made by ANYBODY would be appreciated. Provided it is meets certain quality standards, of course. But with Tea Monster's creations, we wouldn't need to worry about that. ;)

Some models really look outdated by now, and I believe especially the babes could use some major overhaul.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 28 September 2016 - 11:43 PM

• Polymancer

JMHO, but going forward, you really need an HRP v2 that is Polymer-friendly.

Again, JMHO - but it would help to appoint a member of the community as an 'Art Director' who can choose a style and level of quality and enforce it. As an example, you could decide that all future creatures have to look just like the sprites, or look like DNF, or whatever you want to do. It would help a lot if this person had some 3D technical knowledge. They don't have to be an uber artist, but they need to know about spec levels, normal maps and 3D optimization. As I see it, they wouldn't replace any of the maintainers, but would work with them to ensure that what went into the pack was of the right quality.

This isn't to knock what the current maintainers have done over the past, as they have remained dedicated to the project(s?) while nearly everyone else wandered away. They have done a lot of work to compile and prepare the pack and keep it up to date. The reason we still have a HRP is due to them.

It's just that time and tech have moved on and Polymer requires a different kind of model and technical knowledge of how to get stuff into EDuke and make it look good.

• Polymancer

NightFright - Can you adjust the HUD pistol settings in the HRP to the following? I don't have SVN access.

This should solved some of the 'plastic hand' issues.

// Pistol (2524)
model "highres/sprites/firstperson/2524_pistol.md3" {
   scale 2
   skin { pal 0 surface 4 file "highres/sprites/firstperson/2524.png" }
   skin { pal 0 surface 3 file "highres/sprites/firstperson/duke_hand_d.png" specpower 1 specfactor 0.2 }
   specular { surface 3 file "highres/sprites/firstperson/duke_hand_s.png" }
   normal { surface 3 file "highres/sprites/firstperson/duke_hand_n.png" }
   skin { pal 0 surface 2 file "highres/sprites/pickups/0021_pistol_d.png" specpower 1 specfactor 0.5 }
   normal { surface 2 file "highres/sprites/pickups/0021_pistol_n.png" }
   specular { surface 2 file "highres/sprites/pickups/0021_pistol_s.png" }
   skin { pal 0 surface 1 file "highres/sprites/pickups/0021_pistol_d.png" specpower 1 specfactor 0.5 }
   normal { surface 1 file "highres/sprites/pickups/0021_pistol_n.png" }
   specular { surface 1 file "highres/sprites/pickups/0021_pistol_s.png" }
   skin { pal 0 surface 0 file "highres/sprites/pickups/0021_pistol_d.png" specpower 1 specfactor 0.5 }
   normal { surface 0 file "highres/sprites/pickups/0021_pistol_n.png" }
   specular { surface 0 file "highres/sprites/pickups/0021_pistol_s.png" }
   frame { name "frame1" tile 2524 }
   anim { frame0 "frame2" frame1 "frame6" fps 60 flags 0 }
   frame { name "frame2" tile0 2525 tile1 2526 }
   anim { frame0 "frame7" frame1 "frame16" fps 12.5 flags 1 }
   frame { name "frame7" tile0 2528 tile1 2529 }
   hud { tile0 2524 tile1 2526 xadd -0.09 yadd 1.52 zadd -0.6 angadd -37 fov 340 }
   hud { tile0 2528 tile1 2529 xadd -0.15 yadd 1.36 zadd -0.68 angadd -37 fov 330 }
}

model "highres/sprites/firstperson/2530_clip.md3" {
   scale 1.9
   skin { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/pickups/0040_pistolammo.jpg" specpower 0.5 specfactor 0.5 }
   frame { name "Frame0" tile0 2530 tile1 2531 }
   hud { tile 2530 xadd 0.38 yadd 0.9 zadd -0.28 angadd -37 fov 330 }
}

model "highres/sprites/firstperson/2532_cliphand.md3" {
   scale 1.9
   skin { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/firstperson/duke_hand_d.png" specpower 1 specfactor 0.2 }
   specular { file "highres/sprites/firstperson/duke_hand_s.png" }
   normal { file "highres/sprites/firstperson/duke_hand_n.png" }
   frame { name "frame_1" tile 2532 }
   hud { tile 2532 xadd 0.35 yadd 1.36 zadd -0.48 angadd -37 fov 360 }
}

User is offline   Mark 

Are the changes only the spec settings? Or something else?

• Polymancer

Just spec and spec power settings. You saw the skins I made in DDO/Painter but with how Polymer handles the gloss maps- they just look weird. Also, without a light on the gun, you don't get any specular highlights, so it looks like Duke is pointing a black chunk of wood at the monsters. Shame really, but oh well.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 30 September 2016 - 11:58 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostTea Monster, on 30 September 2016 - 04:50 AM, said:

NightFright - Can you adjust the HUD pistol settings in the HRP to the following? I don't have SVN access.
Done.

• Polymancer

Thank you.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

I've never been too good at high-res art, but I started playing around with this wall/window texture set.

texture 5382 {
   pal 0 { file "highres/textures/5382.png" specpower 0.5 specfactor 0.5  }
   normal { file "highres/textures/5382_n.png" parallaxbias 0.01 parallaxscale 0.01 }
   specular { file "highres/textures/5382_s.png" }
}

This post has been edited by Drek: 16 October 2016 - 06:46 AM

User is offline   Minigunner 

Posted Image
Finally dusted off my RPG model that I haven't touched in two years.
I just have the rear shoulder rest and it's all good (for someone else to texture because I can't UVmap and texture worth a damn).

User is offline   Hank 

I'm testing one of my maps, using HRP.
Attached Image: anyTips.jpg
This is looking at tile 342 (duct), from below. It is a flat sprite supposed to hide a passage.
Any tips how to fix this?

User is offline   Mark 

Not that I know of. Its a glitch from the normal map being applied to a flat surface of the texture. One side gets goofy like that.

Share this topic:

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options