Duke4.net Forums: Arkane's Prey Reboot to be Announced on June 12th - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Arkane's Prey Reboot to be Announced on June 12th  "Crytek-powered System Shock Reboot Developed by Arkane Austin"

I'm afraid this new Prey will overwrite the true one in the minds of the general consensus, making them think "Prey = System Shock 3" instead of "Prey = Portals".

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostPikaCommando, on 04 August 2016 - 01:13 PM, said:

I'm afraid this new Prey will overwrite the true one in the minds of the general consensus, making them think "Prey = System Shock 3" instead of "Prey = Portals".

That's undoubtedly Bethesda's intention. We're never going to see the original Prey for sale again, or hear the publisher or Arkane say anything positive about Human Head's work (though they have done privately).

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

At least do some of that cool portal stuff where you shrink down to size. Come on now.

A bit more on the overall plot and direction and some screenshots:

Overview

Prey is a first-person sci-fi action game from Arkane Studios, the award-winning creators of the 2012 ‘Game of the Year’, Dishonored. Known for their creative gameplay, distinctive worlds and immersive stories, Arkane reimagines this franchise from the ground up, with an added psychological twist. In Prey, you are the first human enhanced with alien powers aboard a desolate space station under assault. Improvise and innovate in order to survive as you search for answers. Prey is a bold new story set in a dangerous universe.

Story

In Prey, you awaken aboard Talos I, a space station orbiting the moon in the year 2032. You are the key subject of an experiment meant to alter humanity forever – but things have gone terribly wrong. The space station has been overrun by hostile aliens and you are now being hunted. As you dig into the dark secrets of Talos I and your own past, you must survive using the tools found on the station — your wits, weapons, and mind-bending abilities. The fate of the Talos I and everyone aboard is in your hands.

Features

Sci-Fi Thriller – Nothing is as it seems aboard Talos I. As Morgan Yu, set out to unravel the clues you’ve left behind for yourself, and discover the truth about your past. What role will you play in TranStar’s plans, and the mysterious threat ravaging the station?
Singular Setting – Orbiting the Moon, the Talos I space station symbolizes the height of private space enterprise. Explore a lavish craft designed to reflect corporate luxury of the 1960s, and navigate interconnected, non-linear pathways built to hide countless secrets.
Unimaginable Threat – The shadowy extraterrestrial presence infesting Talos I is a living ecology bent on annihilating its prey. It’s up to you, one of the last remaining survivors aboard the station, to end the deadly attack of these haunting predators.
Play Your Way – Gain alien abilities to develop a distinct combination of powers and upgrade your unique skills. Craft increasingly useful items with the blueprints, gadgets and tools on board the station to overcome dangerous obstacles in your way. Survive unprecedented threats with your wits and ability to improvise.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Those are definitely some Dishonored/Arkane character models.

• The Sarien Encounter

I wonder if this game has a post-death functionality. Maybe everytime you die you wake up again as if it was a dream? Premonition like? In that way it would be marginally similar to the original's anti-death mechanic.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

I don't think they want any ties to the old Prey.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 04 August 2016 - 04:41 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Based on some of the tones and enemy designs there's a slight Alan Wake feel to it.

Alan Wake was psychological horror as well so I'm sure there was influence there.

Again, Bethesda (specifically Pete Hines) said Human Head's Prey 2 said it just wasn't up to their standard.
http://www.shacknews...-what-we-wanted

Sociopath gonna sociopath. :P

Edit: New Posters.
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 05 August 2016 - 10:57 PM

Nice to see Human Head staffers stand up against lyin' Pete Hines. :P
Posted Image
Posted Image
https://twitter.com/LordFrikaC
https://twitter.com/zwiffleownsu
https://twitter.com/...806415748726788
https://twitter.com/...805949870567424

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 09 August 2016 - 01:25 AM

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 05 August 2016 - 10:38 PM, said:

Sociopath gonna sociopath. :P

Edit: New Posters.

Why would you inject something via the eye? An IV injection would take effect faster and doesn't require some goofy contraption with multiple needles that looks like an overcomplicated albuterol inhaler for asthma.

I love how Peter In Hiney acts like he knows shit when he's a stupid prick with his head shoved so far up his ass that he just sits there and lies right to everyone's face without feeling a bit of remorse over what happened with Prey 2. He should do the world a favor and jump off a bridge.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 09 August 2016 - 01:44 AM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

I hope the real Prey 2 leaks some day.

I don't think that'll ever happen: anyone from Human Head doing it would get sued to high heaven, and no way is Bethesda going to do it ever.
Just a shame the developers went from Prey 2 to make handheld stuff and Minimum, a game with a community that died off due to server issues.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I don't think you're going to see any change in the industry until Gen X isn't a part of it anymore.

Sounds fucked up right? Yeah, considering how much they contributed, extremely fucked up.

But the bottom line is that this industry has become highly consolidated with the greasiest, dirtiest shitbags from the 90's controlling everything. The good people left ages ago as the fun got sucked out of it.

What remains is a DEEPLY entrenched power structure that's incredibly small and uniform. There are very few publishers left, and aside from Sega everyone is out to fuck you as hard as they can. If you piss one publisher off, you're going nowhere unless your past products were so hot they would melt steel beams. It's a small, incestuous place where passive aggressive faggots have amassed scary amounts of power.

I don't think having them gradually retire is the be-all, end-all solution. The problem is that this industry no longer attracts the best and the brightest, and attracts huge pussies. They aren't going to start getting what they want until this 20+ year old network of shitbags is out by the beach. These people can barely stand up and fight, if at all.

I would have recorded every phone conversation, printed every email, and recorded every single meeting. Go after them legally or leak it. Fuck NDA's. If they caused enough damage to me with their lawyers I'd leak the fuckin' product and torpedo their asses! No one would sign on with them again!

I can't think of any industry I would want to work for less. It's on par with investment banking in my view.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 10 August 2016 - 01:10 AM

That would be nice, although the legal mess would kill the company. You would at least be proving Bethesda wrong and if people really liked the game, it would make Bethesda look bad-I mean worse.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to change things. I am prepared for that in life, and I'd definitely prefer it to a comfortable existence.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostHulkNukem, on 09 August 2016 - 08:49 PM, said:

I don't think that'll ever happen

It was showcased a few times I guess.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Yeah I was watching some footage from press playing it... and that wasn't just a regular show demo. I'm sure they cut things, but it looked like a pretty functional game rather than just a slice of one.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I'll just throw this here since I'm lazy.

EDIT: 9th point has some story spoilers, could be early/mid game.

This post has been edited by Daedolon: 10 August 2016 - 01:06 PM

More P2 talk from former and current devs:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

View PostDaedolon, on 10 August 2016 - 12:59 PM, said:

I'll just throw this here since I'm lazy.

EDIT: 9th point has some story spoilers, could be early/mid game.

If the CG trailer actually was progressing forward in time, why was each day the same day according to the alarm clock and largely identical in what happened in that space of time except for it becoming more screwed up each iteration?

Miscellaneous considerations:
- The aliens are shadowy versions of the aliens from Human Head's Prey. You can see a hunter, various crawlers and a centurion.

- It's true that intraocular injection is not an efficient way to administer substances, but what if it's not "substances" being administered? What if it's microchips or nanomachines that attach to the protagonist's optic nerve and screw up his perception?

- Why is the station called Talos 1, and not Talon 1? As anyone who played The Talos Principle knows, Talos was a mythological bronze giant who could talk, act and think like a human and who was mortally wounded like a human. Will the new Prey explore the question of what it means to be human, as opposed to something else?

- The trailers show the protagonist acquire the same transformation ability as the aliens. Does it mean that the protagonist is actually an alien? There were several clues in the original Prey that made me think Tommy was a human-looking alien as well, I wonder if this version will spell it out for us.

- KMFDM's song "Missing Time" was once supposed to be part of the Prey soundtrack, and the trailers show an apparent case of missing time (2032 vs 2034), as well as something being wrong with the protagonist's reality. The song goes "Black is everything, pull me right out of reality", and further on "Erase the space, erase the memory, what I don't know will never hurt me, cannot forget, cannot remember..." Is it just me or does it look like the new Prey was heavily inspired by this song?

• The Sarien Encounter

Fans should revolt and get the game greenlit again like how Family Guy kept getting uncancelled. That would be an epic event in video game history. Probably won't happen, though.

View PostAltered Reality, on 11 August 2016 - 03:35 AM, said:

Miscellaneous considerations:
- The aliens are shadowy versions of the aliens from Human Head's Prey. You can see a hunter, various crawlers and a centurion.

- It's true that intraocular injection is not an efficient way to administer substances, but what if it's not "substances" being administered? What if it's microchips or nanomachines that attach to the protagonist's optic nerve and screw up his perception?

- Why is the station called Talos 1, and not Talon 1? As anyone who played The Talos Principle knows, Talos was a mythological bronze giant who could talk, act and think like a human and who was mortally wounded like a human. Will the new Prey explore the question of what it means to be human, as opposed to something else?

- The trailers show the protagonist acquire the same transformation ability as the aliens. Does it mean that the protagonist is actually an alien? There were several clues in the original Prey that made me think Tommy was a human-looking alien as well, I wonder if this version will spell it out for us.

- KMFDM's song "Missing Time" was once supposed to be part of the Prey soundtrack, and the trailers show an apparent case of missing time (2032 vs 2034), as well as something being wrong with the protagonist's reality. The song goes "Black is everything, pull me right out of reality", and further on "Erase the space, erase the memory, what I don't know will never hurt me, cannot forget, cannot remember..." Is it just me or does it look like the new Prey was heavily inspired by this song?

They're called neuromods, so I'm guessing part of that device is actually going all the way into the brain. Morgan seems to have infected himself with them. TranStar, this mega corporation, is doing experiments with alien technology. This would also tie into what it means to be human, as Morgan gains the ability to do things that the aliens can do, namely change shape to look like other things and the ability to move when doing so to get into places where you ordinarily couldn't go like the mug demonstration at QuakeCon.

I don't think Morgan starts out alien but it seems through introduction of what is clearly alien technology to humans, he starts gaining their abilities. The 2 year gap seems to indicate that the prologue of the game may start out on earth and later Morgan is transferred to the space station, so the guess is that using alien technology as a means of transportation has allowed the aliens to get to the Talos I. Between the trailers, 3 different years are mentioned, 2032, 2034, and 2035. The fear is that if they get to other space stations or to earth that humanity would be wiped out.

I noticed that everyone is blaming Bethesda for the status of the Prey IP. Bethesda may be disrespectful toward the developers who made the previous iteration and almost made Prey 2, but if you want to blame someone for this whole mess, you should really blame this asshole:
Posted Image
Had George not decided to restart DNF every time he farted, he wouldn't have wasted all his money in the vain attempt to make the game and he would've never sold the Prey IP.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 12 August 2016 - 04:08 AM

That's true but George didn't lie about it and act like Human Head was clueless like little bitch Hiney.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 12 August 2016 - 09:54 AM

Pete Hines showing off some consolized gameplay, complete with tight environments, and shitty-Crytek powered visuals.

I wish they hadn't called this game Prey. It really is not Prey. It's taking a game franchise people are familiar with and marrying it to a totally different IP. You end up questioning it like "is this a good Prey game?" when it's not even Prey.

CryEngine-powered visuals are shitty? I would think it would be just the opposite.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options