• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Plus  "feedback and general discussion of Duke Plus"

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

FistMarine, on 21 July 2016 - 01:28 AM, said:

Trooper Dan, have you looked at my previous bug reports? Anyway I have found more bugs:

If you mean recent ones, yes. Some I fix, some are not worth it for me. But do keep them coming.

1) Monsters spawned from a moncapsule are slightly bigger than normal when released. This affects all the regular monsters such as: assault trooper, pig cop, recon (DP version), enforcer, turret, drone, slimer egg, commander and protector drone. This bug has been around since some versions but I don't remember when it first started. Mini bosses are unaffected by this, they show up normally as they should, I think.
2) Another bug related to the one above but it looks like whenever you release a monster, it adds another monster to total count, thus it screws the kill counter and you may end up with "monsters missed" at end of level.

These 2 are good examples of bugs I consider not worth fixing. Sorry.

3) Rockets spawned from RPG are smaller than usual. This one got introduced in latest version.

They aren't actually smaller. What happened was, I got rid of the red glow sprites that I had spawning behind the rockets. The reason being, with recent versions of Eduke32, it causes visual glitches and wasn't worth it. It used to look good, but not now, and I'm not going to wait around for it to get fixed, so I removed it.

BTW I have noticed that the dukebike maps got removed. I looked inside dpmaps folder

Yeah that was an accident and I am putting them back in. What happened was I was copying them to a different folder but I didn't hold down the Ctrl key so I moved them instead.

User is offline   supergoofy 

whenever you update DukePlus zip in your site, please let us know, so that we can always enjoy the latest version :P

thank you for updating it

User is offline   FistMarine 

Sorry to hear you didn't fix some bugs I reported. Out of curiosity, from what I reported, which ones you fixed? Anyway I have one more suggestion for next version: can you add From Base to Base (the first one) to the hallway?

EDIT: I tried the newest version of DukePlus and it doesn't even run. Here is my log file:

Apparently it doesn't find DNE.CON, which means you tried to integrate DNE into DukePlus but you didn't finish the process, so that's probably why it doesn't run.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 21 July 2016 - 02:18 AM

I tried it too and I have the same error.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

FistMarine, on 21 July 2016 - 02:12 AM, said:

Apparently it doesn't find DNE.CON, which means you tried to integrate DNE into DukePlus but you didn't finish the process, so that's probably why it doesn't run.
Exactly..

eduke32.log said:

DukePlus/dpcons/DUKEPLUS.CON:31: error: could not find file `DukePlus/dpcons/DNE.CON'.
So simply comment out line 31 for the time being,

Btw.:
Spoiler

my approach would be to create an empty DNE.CON

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Just comment out the include DNE.con line for now and I will upload the corrected version later.
EDIT: I'm currently uploading the corrected version, with the "include DNE.con" removed, Thumbs.db removed from the dukebike folder and the dukebike maps added in. Unless someone uncovers a major problem, this is probably the last time I will upload an update for DukePlus in a while. I need to have access to a more optimized renderer before it would be worthwhile to put out a DNE release.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 21 July 2016 - 10:41 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Trooper Dan, on 21 July 2016 - 10:32 AM, said:

Unless someone uncovers a major problem,
Once this happens:

eduke32.log said:

Warning: Failed including DNE.def on line dukeplus.def:7

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

LeoD, on 21 July 2016 - 11:26 AM, said:

Once this happens:

That should be harmless but I'll fix it. The DNE specific content is being kept separate, even in the DNE edition.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Trooper Dan, on 21 July 2016 - 11:48 AM, said:

That should be harmless
I actually wanted to say "Once someone uncovers a major problem, please fix this as well." Should have used that, not this. I'm happy to hear you're gonna wipe it out as well, though.

the zip is updated again :P

e2b03b449bb189bde7716c97b2b5acd9 *DukePlus240.zip

I just found 2 more bugs:

First one happens when you drive the bike and hit a slope from other way, you will fall from bike but remain in "sitting on bike animation", that is until you use movement keys to reset to normal Duke movement. What's funny is during that "sitting on bike" time, you can hold jump button to get up in the sky. It's pretty funny glitch but only works with small slopes.
The second one is really strange, the color correction menu appeared messed up when I wanted to access main menu. It is hard to reproduce but I think you have to press F11 (to access Color Correction menu) and then when you press ESC to access main menu, the color correction menu will appear instead but in messed up form. I suspect it's an EDuke32 bug right there and I reported a similar bug few weeks ago related to glitched menu but hasn't been looked at.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 22 July 2016 - 12:49 AM

User is offline   Jamesfff 

After installing the latest version of DukePlus, the pistol HUD sprites are only visible when reloading, but not otherwise, the mp5 flickers when firing, and the battlelord chaingun is invisible when firing (though its muzzleflash isn't). Also, when reloading a saved game to check on those bugs, I encountered another one: door textures that appeared fine on the first playthrough were bollixed up as shown in the attached screenshot.. Also attached is my eduke32.log from the first playthrough of the level in question (drdoom.map).

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0023.png

Attached File(s)

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Jamesfff, on 24 July 2016 - 04:55 PM, said:

After installing the latest version of DukePlus, the pistol HUD sprites are only visible when reloading, but not otherwise, the mp5 flickers when firing, and the battlelord chaingun is invisible when firing (though its muzzleflash isn't). Also, when reloading a saved game to check on those bugs, I encountered another one: door textures that appeared fine on the first playthrough were bollixed up as shown in the attached screenshot.
Update EDuke32 and retry.
[EDIT] Although all CON files appear to be correct (in size), the existence of this file:
Using group file "DukePlus/DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES.zip".

indicates that there's some very old shit lying around. Did you really do a clean install?

This post has been edited by LeoD: 24 July 2016 - 05:33 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

LeoD, on 24 July 2016 - 05:10 PM, said:

indicates that there's some very old shit lying around. Did you really do a clean install?

Yeah there is no such file if you actually do a clean install. The pistol etc. display fine on my end with latest Polymer HRP. Weapons display fine in polymost also, although their positions are somewhat different.

Speaking of pistol, could you restore the laser pistol to the old 8-bit art? I dislike the current model because it looks ugly and when an assault captain drops it and you pick it up for first time, game freezes for 3 seconds (the model is loading in that time), plus I liked the sprite version a lot more. Same goes to the Battlelord chaingun, I liked the sprite version a lot more, though the model version isn't too bad I guess. In my opinion it makes more sense if these would show up as models only when you run the HRP. I would also prefer if the laser pistol model was reverted to the old one made by Gambini from earlier versions of DukePlus. I liked that one a lot more than the current one. :P

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

FistMarine, on 25 July 2016 - 10:17 AM, said:

Speaking of pistol, could you restore the laser pistol to the old 8-bit art? I dislike the current model because it looks ugly and when an assault captain drops it and you pick it up for first time, game freezes for 3 seconds (the model is loading in that time), plus I liked the sprite version a lot more. Same goes to the Battlelord chaingun, I liked the sprite version a lot more, though the model version isn't too bad I guess. In my opinion it makes more sense if these would show up as models only when you run the HRP. I would also prefer if the laser pistol model was reverted to the old one made by Gambini from earlier versions of DukePlus. I liked that one a lot more than the current one. :P

It's reasonable to want a separate def file that loads when not using the HRP. Unfortunately, I can't see a way of doing it right now that won't cause a lot of users to fuck things up and then complain about it.

The sticking point is that I want DukePlus to be able to run normally (i.e. using HRP content and models) without using a .bat file to start it. Right now it does that because I have "setdefname dukeplus.def" at the top of DUKEPLUS.CON. And it knows to use DUKEPLUS.CON because that is included by EDUKE.CON, which will always override other parameters and load if present. I tried making a .bat that uses a different CON to start (with a different associated def file), but the presence of EDUKE.CON overrides the parameter I give it. And if I remove EDUKE.CON, then I think I would need two separate .bat files (one for HRP and one for no-HRP), which I want to avoid.

To make a long story short, your best option right now is simply to make your own personal edit of dukeplus.def in which you comment out the model definitions for the laser gun and the battlelord minigun. That will do exactly what you want.

Clean install has been done, no unnecessary files present, and bugs are still there. Oh, and the fence sprite wasn't transparent as it should have been. (screenshot and log file attached.)

Update EDuke32 and retry.
[EDIT] Although all CON files appear to be correct (in size), the existence of this file:
Using group file "DukePlus/DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES.zip".

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0024.png

Attached File(s)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

It sucks that you are having those problems, and I wish I knew how to help. The standard fence sprites/models are something that DukePlus does not touch in any way, and never has. Those other problems you listed earlier are also not ones that I am familiar with, although they do involve DukePlus assets. Because of the fence issue, I am inclined to think that your problems may lie in a graphics card/driver compatiblity issue. However, I am no expert in this area.

EDIT:

OpenGL information
Intel Intel® HD Graphics 4000 4.0.0

Yeah I'm thinking it's the graphics driver....

EDIT2: And just to verify, you are using the latest DukePlus downloaded from THIS page, right?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Jamesfff, on 25 July 2016 - 04:59 PM, said:

Clean install has been done, no unnecessary files present, and bugs are still there. Oh, and the fence sprite wasn't transparent as it should have been. (screenshot and log file attached.)

EDuke32 2.0.0devel r5700 (64-bit) C++ build
Compiled Apr 12 2016 21:22:40

This post has been edited by LeoD: 25 July 2016 - 06:05 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Also if he's not using the latest EDuke32, then that means he most likely isn't using the latest DukePlus either, since the latest DukePlus comes with the latest Eduke32....

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostTrooper Dan, on 25 July 2016 - 06:07 PM, said:

Also if he's not using the latest EDuke32, then that means he most likely isn't using the latest DukePlus either, since the latest DukePlus comes with the latest Eduke32....
But the CON files appear to be correct.
Where does that parameter

-conversion 20130105

come from, btw.? Jamesfff, you should check the link or batch file you're using to start DukePlus.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 25 July 2016 - 01:01 PM, said:

It's reasonable to want a separate def file that loads when not using the HRP. Unfortunately, I can't see a way of doing it right now that won't cause a lot of users to fuck things up and then complain about it.

The sticking point is that I want DukePlus to be able to run normally (i.e. using HRP content and models) without using a .bat file to start it. Right now it does that because I have "setdefname dukeplus.def" at the top of DUKEPLUS.CON. And it knows to use DUKEPLUS.CON because that is included by EDUKE.CON, which will always override other parameters and load if present. I tried making a .bat that uses a different CON to start (with a different associated def file), but the presence of EDUKE.CON overrides the parameter I give it. And if I remove EDUKE.CON, then I think I would need two separate .bat files (one for HRP and one for no-HRP), which I want to avoid.

To make a long story short, your best option right now is simply to make your own personal edit of dukeplus.def in which you comment out the model definitions for the laser gun and the battlelord minigun. That will do exactly what you want.

OK I guess I will have to edit the def file for now. Maybe in next version you could add an option to the DukePlus menu to toggle between the sprites and models for these 2 weapons? I think that would be the best option at the moment.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFistMarine, on 26 July 2016 - 06:57 AM, said:

OK I guess I will have to edit the def file for now. Maybe in next version you could add an option to the DukePlus menu to toggle between the sprites and models for these 2 weapons? I think that would be the best option at the moment.

The menu I made is very dumb with hardcoded numbers for menu item positions and no scrolling. It's hard to add new items, especially when the window gets full, and I hate to do it just for two things like that. This is a good example of why I stopped developing DukePlus...it was time for me to move on to other projects and do things better. The most I will do is supply an alternative def file with some simple instructions on how to rename it and use it and how to comment things out. Remember, after this release, I will only support the Polymer/PolymerNG version and I'm not going to mess around with trying to simultaneously support 8-bit art and HD.

View PostLeoD, on 25 July 2016 - 06:14 PM, said:

But the CON files appear to be correct.
Where does that parameter

come from, btw.? Jamesfff, you should check the link or batch file you're using to start DukePlus.

I do not remember what it was now that had me using that parameter, but updating EDuke32 solved the HUD weapons glithches. The graphics glitch with the fencing is still there, though. It wasn't there with prior versions of EDuke32 though, and I only noticed it after updating DukePlus.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 26 July 2016 - 01:10 PM, said:

The menu I made is very dumb with hardcoded numbers for menu item positions and no scrolling. It's hard to add new items, especially when the window gets full, and I hate to do it just for two things like that. This is a good example of why I stopped developing DukePlus...it was time for me to move on to other projects and do things better. The most I will do is supply an alternative def file with some simple instructions on how to rename it and use it and how to comment things out. Remember, after this release, I will only support the Polymer/PolymerNG version and I'm not going to mess around with trying to simultaneously support 8-bit art and HD.

Well, commenting things out of the def file isn't difficult because I can easily comment out the model definitions for the laser pistol and battlelord minigun. However I would like to have two def files supplied by default (one normal and other with models commented out) just to help newbies out there who prefer the old 8-bit art and don't know how to edit the files. And with that, people can choose between the HRP and 8-bit versions of these weapons without having to edit the file themselves. Isn't that a better idea? And for menu idea earlier, I don't think it would have hurt to have an additional option in DukePlus Weapon Options menu called "Models for Laser Pistol and Battlelord Minigun" or something like that.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 27 July 2016 - 06:00 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFistMarine, on 26 July 2016 - 11:44 PM, said:

However I would like to have two def files supplied by default (one normal and other with models commented out) just to help newbies out there who prefer the old 8-bit art. And with that, people can choose between the HRP and 8-bit versions of these weapons without having to edit the file themselves.

Already done, will be included with next upload.

Cool thanks! And about newbies, I meant people who are less experienced and don't know how to access or edit files, I should have clarified that. I will edit the post above.

Has anyone noticed that footprints no longer glow with night vision goggles? For example, there is supposed to be glowing footprints in "Rabid Transit" near the message that says "Telltale footprints", but they no longer show up at all. I'm not sure if this is an issue with Duke Plus, Eduke32, or the HRP. Also, I thought cracks in walls were supposed to glow as well.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I'm pretty sure that's an HRP thing.

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options