Duke4.net Forums: Doom Corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   ---- 

The Steam SUmmer Sale has started and the new DooM is down 40%, which is OK IMHO, since it still was 4th or 5th in the topseller list, yesterday.

User is offline   LkMax 

Bethersda manages to be worse then Activision when it comes to pricing in Brazil. Doom costs R$ 230 full price while Call of Duty Infinite Warfare costs R$ 160 (the minimum wage here is R$ 880, i.e. Doom costs 1/4 of someone's salary). With 40% discouted it's barely a bit cheaper (R$ 140) then COD, a best-selling game that's months from being released. I can wait a year or two to get Doom for R$ 40, I'm having more than enough fun with Battlefield. :)

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Just managed to get 100% completion of Doom 4 and I still want more. Looking forward to the Snapmap updates and hopefully Single Player content.

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah, I want more too. Only thing that seperates me from 100% achievement is making a snapmap, and I might do that after the update.

I stupidly died in my Ultra Nightmare run by falling down the Argent Tower (I wasn't patient enough...) but I plan on giving that another try.
I also finally got a 100% save file on Nightmare, I got the last secret I was missing in that same level. It was the
Spoiler

Hopefully they make a SP DLC.

Edit : For those of you who have crashing issues and who are scared it would ruin a Ultra-Nightmare playthrough: I've had a crash in the middle of a level but my save from the start of the level was still there, so it seems that the game has a failsafe and you may not lose your UN save from a crash. My recommendation ? "Save&exit" between each level.
I wonder if this means you can abuse the system and keep your save by exiting the game using CTRL+ALT+DEL or by hardrebooting your computer :P

The game gets super easy once you know the secrets, you can predict in advance which weapon mods you'll unlock and how you're going to spend your upgrade points. For instance I got the Charge Stun of the Plasma Rifle in lvl2 and a rocket launcher with remote detonator in lvl3 (Foundry). Very useful. I'm going to have to give up on secrets that require tough jumps though, because I wouldn't want to lose my entire playthrough for that, but I'll try to get the Gauss Canon in the Argent Tower anyway since that weapon is a must have.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 27 June 2016 - 02:21 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

It's done ! After dying twice in "Argent Tower", once in "Argent Facility (Destroyed)" and a bunch of times during the 2 first maps, I finally did it.

Posted Image

I have to say that the first half of the game is the most difficult. Then, once you have the Syphon item, you're invicible. Coupled with the Rune that increases items effectiveness, and upgraded, Syphon not only restores health but also armor. Plus, once you've upgraded the "item" side of the Praetor Suit, you can use 2 Syphons back to back and they regenerate at a reasonable rate. Plus you can fully grind against any enemy by waiting and throwing Syphons until you're at max health and armor, it's ridiculous.

Honestly since I got Syphon the rest of the game was a joke. For Runes I was going "Rich Get Richer" (unlimited ammo when you have 75+ armor), + increased item effectiveness to use with Syphon, + Saving Throw as a failsafe (which I didn't even use), the game got almost boring. I was spamming charged Gauss Cannon shots while throwing a Syphon or two whenever I'd get hit.

Honestly after my death on my previous playthrough which was level 7, I felt like cheating so on this playthrough every time I'd finish a level I'd make a backup of my savefile, because you can probably copy it back onto your current one and therefore restart at the beginning of the current level rather than the entire game. But I didn't even have to use it so I don't even know if it really works (it probably does though).

Honestly this was tons of fun, my heart was pounding several times. Like against the Spider Mastermind I fucked up and I was down to around 75hp (= one hit to death) but Syphon saved my ass again.
I recommend Ultra-Nightmare it to anyone who beat the game on Nightmare btw, it really teaches you to master the game and also to break it. I'm amazed I haven't seen the "Syphon" broken-ness talked about much, because it's really ridiculous.

edit : Wait what? Is it just me or did the game just got 5 extra hidden achievements? Couldn't they have done that before I play it so much...

This post has been edited by MetHy: 28 June 2016 - 09:44 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Yeah, the first few levels of the game are harder than the rest.
They can start throwing the barons or cyber mancubus', but by then you are so overpowered they don't matter.
Plus, I think I fought a Baron without just using the instant one hit kill BFG like 2 times total.

User is offline   MetHy 

Surpringsly, I barely used the BFG. I was saving it as a last resort and only used it against the Cyberdemon (when rocks come up and he throws those wide shots, using the BFG completely stops the sequence and brings the rocks down) and against the Spider-Mastermind.

Barons are easy to kill even on (Ultra)Nightmare, one normal gauss canon shot + one charged one and they're down. My biggest adversary was the Cacodemon, this fucker is NASTY on (ultra)Nightmare so I made sure to kill them first whenever they'd appear. Again, one charged gauss canon shot to bring one down. Same for Hell Knights.

I only used the mini-gun to upgrade it then never equipped it again. Only used the double barrel shotgun for two shots, too.
At first I made sure to get every secret and every challenge to upgrade ASAP but honestly at some point caring about those. I had like 30 unused upgrade points left when I beat the game.

Once they're upgraded, Gauss Canon with charged shot + rocket launcher with remote detonation is all you need really. With the occasional Stun charge of the Plasma rifle.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 28 June 2016 - 09:59 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I'd say 80% of the game first time I played I used just the double barrel and rocket launcher with remote detonation. BFG was used exclusively for Barons and Bosses; there always happened to be one or two BFG cells in the bigger arenas which typically always end with barons.
My last Ultra Nightmare run ended when I quit and didn't realize it erases your save. I've yet to play the game again (mostly because of working on my own stuff, work, and moving into a house) but I really want to beat UN

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Posted Image

User is offline   xMobilemux 

5 new hidden achievements have been added.

Names are said to be:
Computing with Style, Sitting Duck, Marked for Death, Tenderizing the Crops, and Motion in the Explosion

More is coming!

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 28 June 2016 - 05:43 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostStrikerMan780, on 28 June 2016 - 12:11 PM, said:

Posted Image

GG Id Software. You win now and forever.

Now get Commander Keen back!

View PostHulkNukem, on 28 June 2016 - 09:45 AM, said:

Yeah, the first few levels of the game are harder than the rest.
They can start throwing the barons or cyber mancubus', but by then you are so overpowered they don't matter.
Plus, I think I fought a Baron without just using the instant one hit kill BFG like 2 times total.

There is one spot in Lazarus Facility where the game just throws everything it's got at you in one compact frenzied arena, but apart from that, I'd pretty much agree. Argent Facility is particularly brutal when you pop the gore nests.

This post has been edited by Inspector Lagomorf: 28 June 2016 - 06:35 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

View PostMetHy, on 28 June 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

It's done ! After dying twice in "Argent Tower", once in "Argent Facility (Destroyed)" and a bunch of times during the 2 first maps, I finally did it.

Posted Image

I have to say that the first half of the game is the most difficult. Then, once you have the Syphon item, you're invicible. Coupled with the Rune that increases items effectiveness, and upgraded, Syphon not only restores health but also armor. Plus, once you've upgraded the "item" side of the Praetor Suit, you can use 2 Syphons back to back and they regenerate at a reasonable rate. Plus you can fully grind against any enemy by waiting and throwing Syphons until you're at max health and armor, it's ridiculous.

Honestly since I got Syphon the rest of the game was a joke. For Runes I was going "Rich Get Richer" (unlimited ammo when you have 75+ armor), + increased item effectiveness to use with Syphon, + Saving Throw as a failsafe (which I didn't even use), the game got almost boring. I was spamming charged Gauss Cannon shots while throwing a Syphon or two whenever I'd get hit.

Honestly after my death on my previous playthrough which was level 7, I felt like cheating so on this playthrough every time I'd finish a level I'd make a backup of my savefile, because you can probably copy it back onto your current one and therefore restart at the beginning of the current level rather than the entire game. But I didn't even have to use it so I don't even know if it really works (it probably does though).

Honestly this was tons of fun, my heart was pounding several times. Like against the Spider Mastermind I fucked up and I was down to around 75hp (= one hit to death) but Syphon saved my ass again.
I recommend Ultra-Nightmare it to anyone who beat the game on Nightmare btw, it really teaches you to master the game and also to break it. I'm amazed I haven't seen the "Syphon" broken-ness talked about much, because it's really ridiculous.

edit : Wait what? Is it just me or did the game just got 5 extra hidden achievements? Couldn't they have done that before I play it so much...

Awesome man. I've been thinking about a replay once I knock some games off the backlog, although I'll do a regular Nightmare playthrough before even considering an Ultra-Nightmare run.

Also, if you want a further challenge:

Insane!

Edit:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Malgon: 29 June 2016 - 01:03 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMalgon, on 29 June 2016 - 12:53 AM, said:

Also, if you want a further challenge:

Damn, I'd have to try that on Nightmare first, before considering UN with it.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Playboy Present's A Journey Through Hell: 20 Years of Insanely Dedicated ‘Doom’ Modding.
Posted Image

"If another game came out that was better, I would be free from my curse. I would be unshackled." Gus ‘Alfonzo’ Knezevich, ‘Doom’ enthusiast

User is offline   Cage 

Things starting to move on the SP front
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

This looks really good Cage, I like the colours. Perhaps only the brown medkit doesn't stand out enough from its environment.

New Doom's got an update. There are centered weapons, like in classic Doom. Some of them look good that way, some of them don't really. It's also a bit glitchy at times when using the Gauss Cannon. However I do find it easier to aim that way especially when coupled with the simple crosshair.

There is also "photo mode" which lets you move around in a paused world to take screenshots; but it only works when you do Mission Select and doesn't appear in Nightmare for some reasons, so I haven't even tried it since all my saves are Nightmare or UN.

And the new achievements are Multiplayer DLC achievements...

So I'm nearing the end of a Nightmare no-upgrade run (only first Argent Cell is a mandatory upgrade). It's actually quite fun for the most part, and surprisingly balanced if you're careful about picking up ammo and managing the chainsaw, and during fights, to prioritize targets and to learn to NOT get hit.

I don't think I'll ever do it in UN, it would take a lot of training, as I've died around 50 times total.
Although half of those deaths were in Lazarus Facility alone. This level is a chore, I never noticed it before (which shows how insanely powerful you get when you upgrade...) but there is barely any supplies during HALF OF THE LEVEL. There are several arenas with ZERO supplies in them, no health or ammo pickups, not even chainsaw gas. This level's sense of balance is to throw an ammo box and a hidden max health item at you after 2 arenas. I was at low health and ammo during half of the level and heavily had to rely on the pistol, the frag grenade and tricks. I honestly feel like it is badly designed.

screenshot

Then came the boss of the level, the three knights, which if you ask me are the toughest of the game when you don't upgrade. I mean, I haven't beaten the Spider Mastermind yet but I doubt it's anywhere near as hard. The first knight, the one with a green shield, I never really cared for him before because when you have an upgraded RL you can hit him anyway even when he has his shield on. But here, I had no wait for him to bring the shield down, which would make the fight drag on, and he could kill me in 1-2 hits depending on the attack.

Speaking of tricks, I found others which help in some arenas. For instance here, last arena before the Cyberdemon fight, you can shoot MANY enemies through the grid floor before entering the arena, and it does help a lot.

screenshot

Or here, in the 2nd arena of the last level, after you trigger the enemy sequence, you can easily jump back here and pick every single one of them from a safe distance. Only Cacodemons will get close, and Imps will throw fireballs at you.

screenshot

For a game that so heavily tries to lock the player into arenas, I find that a bit slippery. There are also many smaller arenas throughout the game in which you can keep your distance and get enemies to come to you pretty much one by one as well.

Edit : Finally beat that Nightmare no upgrade run. Spider Mastermind was definitely hard, I had to restart the level over to make sure I'll start he fight with 200hp, 200 armor and 3 BFG shots on me. By jumping on walls after the last arena, I found a way to backtrack to an earlier secret place providing those for the final fight.
I have to say that having to do charged pistol shots while avoiding the attacks, until the thing finally wants to drop ammo, was really intense.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 03 July 2016 - 07:48 AM

User is online   Lunick 

Posted Image

doom_txt sure has some strange stuff

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostLunick, on 06 July 2016 - 11:08 PM, said:

doom_txt sure has some strange stuff

You won't surpise since they're all random shitposts on major DooM communities. :P

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMetHy, on 03 July 2016 - 04:13 AM, said:

Edit : Finally beat that Nightmare no upgrade run. Spider Mastermind was definitely hard, I had to restart the level over to make sure I'll start he fight with 200hp, 200 armor and 3 BFG shots on me. By jumping on walls after the last arena, I found a way to backtrack to an earlier secret place providing those for the final fight.
I have to say that having to do charged pistol shots while avoiding the attacks, until the thing finally wants to drop ammo, was really intense.

That's very impressive. I just got this game a few days ago on PS4, I reached the spider boss and died once, decided to go back and complete challenges on earlier levels before finishing.

So when you do a no upgrade run, does that mean you are not allowed to spend any points at all on anything? That sounds brutally difficult. I wonder if the game is harder on console due to lack of mouse aiming. Anyway, Doom 4 is a great game and I'm glad I got it. There are some balance issues here and there, though. The main one is this: upgrades feel overpowered after a while, EXCEPT when you get to one of the boss fights (cyberdemon, 3 hell guards, spider boss). At that point it feels like you almost need the upgrades to survive. So I wish they would nerf some of the upgrades (especially the amounts of health and armor max you get from Argent energy) but at the same time also nerf the bosses a bit to compensate. As it stands, the level of challenge from the bosses is not commensurate with the rest of the game.

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah the only upgrade I got was the first Argent Cell at the end of level 2 which was mandatory. No other Argent Cell taken, no upgrade point used on weapon, no Praetor Suit upgrade, no rune was used.

I didn't think the bosses were that hard but on console it must be something else entirely. And yeah, upgrades make a difference against bosses, like for instance against the first Hell Guard, the one with a shield, a fully upgraded Rocket Launcher will damage him even if the shield is on, which helps a lot.

I did yet another playthrough after that which I heavily based on Glory Kills this time. Using runes Seek And Destroy (launch Glory Kills from farther away), that rune which makes glory kills faster, and that rune which drops armor from glory kills to compensate from damage taken, and that was incredibly fun. It's super fast and Seek And Destroy make for some insane teleporting. It gets even better when you find a Berserk Powerup.

For the Spider Mastermind, I found that using all BFG shots at the start of the fight, made it easier. Shoot the BFG once, shoot two charged shots with the Gauss Cannon, repeat.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 08 July 2016 - 12:46 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMetHy, on 08 July 2016 - 12:37 AM, said:

I didn't think the bosses were that hard but on console it must be something else entirely. And yeah, upgrades make a difference against bosses, like for instance against the first Hell Guard, the one with a shield, a fully upgraded Rocket Launcher will damage him even if the shield is on, which helps a lot.

That's cool, I didn't have most of the weapons fully upgraded when I fought the bosses before -- that's the main reason I'm going back through the levels. The difficulty of the bosses is fair, but I think it's way higher than the regular arena fights. So that's why I think they should make the difficulty of the regular fights closer to the difficulty of the bosses (which could be accomplished by simultaneously nerfing Argent upgrades and nerfing bosses, while leaving regular enemies the same).

I'll be very interested to see what they come up with when the developers get around to making single player DLC. What I would like is a new full length campaign that branches out into other forms of classic FPS gameplay. I don't mind the arena-oriented gameplay of the base game campaign, but I'm hoping that arenas will be a smaller percentage of the action next time. I also wouldn't mind having some squad members helping out at the start of a mission, providing of course that they die or otherwise leave the player alone after a while. With weapons I'm concerned -- I don't like it when DLC just tacks on more weapons to an already balanced arsenal. The developers made some good choices and I hope they don't spoil it.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I've had some issues recently. I had the patch install and wipe out my save games, which was bad. There is a way of getting them back, but I decided to start again and grab the achievements since the previous one suffered from the 'dev console glitch'. So not a great big hairy deal for me, though I imagine that others would not see it that way.

Secondly, the patched game wouldn't load unless I installed the latest Nvidia drivers. Afterwards, the previous glass-like running of the game was gone, replaced by a visible stuttering on screen. I don't know if it's the patch or the new drivers. I hope this isn't Nvidia going down the AMD path of crappy drivers.

View PostPlayer Lin, on 07 July 2016 - 06:47 AM, said:

I have no idea why but the Doom community simultaneously gets the best and the worst shitposts of the entire net. There's nothing quite like Post Hell on Doomworld.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That place is....interesting. Bizarre bunch there. Or maybe they're more normal and I'm just used to this place which is truly bizarre. I was surprised to learn that most of their age base is centered around 16-25 year olds. For such an old website (and even older game) that seems strange. Bunch of hipsters.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 08 July 2016 - 06:55 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Green Man Gaming is having a Bethesda sale. Doom is on sale for up to 52%.

https://www.greenman...e_Bethesda_Sale

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTea Monster, on 08 July 2016 - 01:56 AM, said:

I've had some issues recently. I had the patch install and wipe out my save games, which was bad. There is a way of getting them back, but I decided to start again and grab the achievements since the previous one suffered from the 'dev console glitch'. So not a great big hairy deal for me, though I imagine that others would not see it that way.

Secondly, the patched game wouldn't load unless I installed the latest Nvidia drivers. Afterwards, the previous glass-like running of the game was gone, replaced by a visible stuttering on screen. I don't know if it's the patch or the new drivers. I hope this isn't Nvidia going down the AMD path of crappy drivers.

And that's why I got it for PS4 and not my PC. I spent $35, so it wasn't as cheap as a PC sale, but it just works %100 of the time at 60fps and I don't have to worry about driver updates or any of that nonsense.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 08 July 2016 - 09:23 AM, said:

Green Man Gaming is having a Bethesda sale. Doom is on sale for up to 52%.

https://www.greenman...e_Bethesda_Sale

You can get an additional 20% off with the promo code JULY20.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 08 July 2016 - 02:00 PM, said:

You can get an additional 20% off with the promo code JULY20.

Yes, which adds up to 52% off of Doom. I used that voucher myself on top of the sale discount to finally grab it.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 08 July 2016 - 02:56 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

So I've been playing a half hour of the full Doom and so far haven't run into the crazy tanking framerate issues I had with the demo. When I first ran it it had problems (without even starting the campaign) but after a restart it's been going a solid 30-45 fps at lowest settings, 1080p, 75% resolution scale. (still running on my 460. 970 hasn't arrived yet)

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 08 July 2016 - 06:18 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 08 July 2016 - 02:56 PM, said:

Yes, which adds up to 52% off of Doom. I used that voucher myself on top of the sale discount to finally grab it.

True, but since I couldn't see the July code listed on GMG's Bethesda sale page, I figured it would be worth posting in the thread. I hope you enjoy your time with it!

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options