Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] EDuke32 Addon Compilation - Duke4.net Forums

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] EDuke32 Addon Compilation  "Version 3.13 released on December 6, 2016!"

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I gotta agree with Lunick. What I labelled as "packs" in the past which were actually often just random maps put together are not really meeting the definition of what I consider being an "addon". It should be consistent episodes with maps belonging together or standalone maps that really stick out, such as Penthouse Paradise or Redrum. I won't remove those entries from the compilation which I have already added, but I would really like to avoid adding more of these just for the sake of having more. After all, it doesn't take much to throw a map file into the EDuke32 folder (if needed with some cons) to get it working.

In other news, "Zombie Crisis" will also make the cut for 2.1. This will be the last entry before the release, however. It's time to stop somewhere or I'll never finish in time.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 15 June 2016 - 02:47 AM

User is online   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 07:01 AM

• The Truth is in here

I will replace reset.con in any addon that contains it. It's about 16 files, so it's not that much work.

edit

• The Truth is in here

Not a good idea to add things that weren't there before. Goal is only to make addons work with Atomic, not to add things that weren't intended by the authors. And I believe you can play the levels well enough without the Expander.

User is offline   NNC 

While I totally respect your opinion NF, I still think released map packs can "feel" episodic if the levels have the same style and author. Even "The Birth" is no more than random maps put together (except for "Critical Mass" and "Derelict", where there is a minor continuity), and even the style and authors are different, but still has a fine episodic playthrough.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 16 June 2016 - 03:13 AM

• The Truth is in here

We will see. When I am super desperate and really still need something very badly to add, I can return to the idea.

In the meantime, Jungle Tour 1-3 will be added to the update.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 16 June 2016 - 03:41 AM

edit

User is offline   Polunka 

View PostFistMarine, on 16 June 2016 - 07:51 AM, said:

EDIT: BTW you said you aren't going to add any more addons. Hope it's the last for now. :)

Guess it's partially my fault that he can't stop now :P The more addons he's adding, the further goes the desire to add more, and the starting point was my request for AvP and TA, also all that TA testing thing and the keycard loss have only heated up the interest inside NF :( (just kidding)

edit

• The Truth is in here

By now so many addons have been updated since the size of the "patch" I intended to release is well over 400 MB, which is not too far from the size of the full pack. Considering the scale of the changes in general, I guess I will have to relabel the whole thing to 3.0 since it's bigger than I intended it to be in the first place. That means that there will be no update file, you need to redownload the whole thing. Sorry for the inconvenience, folks. Maybe next time it's gonna be smaller if not everything is affected.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 16 June 2016 - 01:24 PM

View PostNightFright, on 16 June 2016 - 01:24 PM, said:

That means that there will be no update file, you need to redownload the whole thing. Sorry for the inconvenience, folks. Maybe next time it's gonna be smaller if not everything is affected.

Well, idk about the others, but in my case it won't cause any inconvenience really, I'm able to gather all my patience to wait for the download :)

Sanek's LORCH urban trilogy deserve his little space as a continuous mini-episode?

https://forums.duke4...iew__getnewpost

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 17 June 2016 - 07:17 AM

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 07:02 AM

View PostFistMarine, on 17 June 2016 - 07:46 AM, said:

I think there are enough addons for now. I'd rather see NF testing the current addons than continuously adding new addons, especially if it's just maps grouped together and not a proper addon/episode/TC.

Huh, I actually was about to offer NF the same after seeing the LORCH 3 thread, but then I remembered he'd already suffered from his "compilation expansion fever" and rejected the idea :)

edit

• The Truth is in here

If you actually check my changelog, I have added the Lorch trilogy after seeing Sanek's release yesterday. But now it's REALLY enough... I hope! XD

This post has been edited by NightFright: 17 June 2016 - 12:48 PM

View PostNightFright, on 17 June 2016 - 12:47 PM, said:

If you actually check my changelog, I have added the Lorch trilogy after seeing Sanek's release yesterday. But now it's REALLY enough... I hope! XD

:P :( :P :D :D :lol:
I guess the fever hasn't been cured yet. :D
Btw, have you set certain music tracks for the maps? (I mean, so that the first level has sth else instead of stalker.mid, for example) If you have (or not, anyway), I'd like to suggest gotham.mid for the third map (if you read my review within the LORCH 3 thread, you'll understand the case and, I think, maybe even agree with me upon this :) ).

This post has been edited by Polunka: 17 June 2016 - 09:27 PM

• The Truth is in here

Funny enough, I have indeed chosen gotham.mid for Lorch 3, and already before even reading your message. XD The other maps will also have music that fits (233c.mid and fatcmdr.mid IIRC).

View PostNightFright, on 17 June 2016 - 10:06 PM, said:

Funny enough, I have indeed chosen gotham.mid for Lorch 3, and already before even reading your message. XD The other maps will also have music that fits (233c.mid and fatcmdr.mid IIRC).

OK, that's neat :)

edit

View PostFistMarine, on 17 June 2016 - 11:26 PM, said:

Now it's my chance to suggest something else before NF changes his mind, so I wonder if you could take a look at the following episodes/TCs that I didn't suggest before:
http://msdn.duke4.net/revquakedemo.php
http://msdn.duke4.net/revcrackmod.php
http://msdn.duke4.ne...castlequest.php
http://msdn.duke4.ne...hallsofdoom.php
It's 2 TCs and 2 mini episodes. I only hope the mini episodes are going to be included at least. That's all for now. :P

Remember playing Halls of Doom and Crackdown, they're both not bad, tho Crackdown has just one map iirc, which is a letdown. Definitely would play Castle Quest, don't know about Quake TC: according to Mikko's review, I could just play the original Quake which I have on GOG instead :(
P.S.: I guess fever is now gonna turn into cancer or even worse. Well, unless NF has taken his daily portion of anti-curiosity pills :) (yea, this joke is getting old despite being mentioned for just the third time, seems I've brought it up a bit too many times in such a short period of time).

This post has been edited by Polunka: 18 June 2016 - 04:53 AM

One Doom themed mod that worth is the XThX2's Hellduke TC.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/hellduke-tc

It is a TC that inevitably requires his dedicated .dat to work with the compilation, but it's clearly a community desire playing it again since as you can see from the conversation some CON updates have been made in years (not bad for a 2009 TC) https://forums.duke4...m-become-alive/ but inevitably whit time even those corrections become outdated. It was also the very first mod which I did an HRP for http://www.mediafire...php?5kzjwyjmkwt

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Hey NF, if the any of the addons contain midis using the names from the original game, but are not actually those midis, could you look at renaming them so you could drop in a music pack without a def file and have it just work?

edit

• The Truth is in here

View PostHendricks266, on 18 June 2016 - 08:07 AM, said:

Hey NF, if the any of the addons contain midis using the names from the original game, but are not actually those midis, could you look at renaming them so you could drop in a music pack without a def file and have it just work?

I always check midis having names identical to Duke3D files. If they are renamed originals, I don't use the midis at all but just define the proper midi through con definitions.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

My point is that there should not be, for example, a dethtoll.mid that is not actually Taking the Death Toll, because in the presence of a music pack it will get upgraded to an Ogg or FLAC file of Taking the Death Toll.

• The Truth is in here

Exactly. Often authors include dethtoll.mid which is actually fatcmdr.mid or something else so they don't need con code to define music. In that case I use the proper definition and remove the midi. If it is a custom midi, I just rename and define it.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostNightFright, on 18 June 2016 - 09:24 AM, said:

Exactly. Often authors include dethtoll.mid which is actually fatcmdr.mid or something else so they don't need con code to define music. In that case I use the proper definition and remove the midi. If it is a custom midi, I just rename and define it.
Wouldn't it be best practice to simply rename the midi after the map file and not touch CONs or DEFs?

Btw., here comes a list of maps which did not have their latest version put into the Addon Compilation:
- quakis.grp : Done & Dusted
- c3po.grp : Fruit Loops
- opblitz.grp : Operation Blitzkrieg: Polymer Edition
- space.grp : Munasta1
- urban.grp :
Lessing5
Jailbird2
The Railway Station (now pinxten.grp)
ACB Studios (Mediafire download)
Paradisiac Shopping
Tropical Alien Massacre > new version in Sunburn (Mediafire download)
Banco -> superseded by Bank
Retrospective -> superseded by Katu183

This post has been edited by LeoD: 19 June 2016 - 05:15 PM

edit

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options