Duke4.net Forums: Stuck on this map - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stuck on this map

User is offline   pacman 

I wonder if anyone has played this map. I have found the blue card, but I can't find the door... I have been walking around for 30 minutes and I give up.

Btw, the frame rate is really bad when looking at the mall from outside. It looks great but I wonder why mappers release something like this when it becomes annoying. He should have compromised on number of sprites which is what I asume is causing the fps drop. Or maybe my computer is too slow? The guy on the video has problems too so I asume it's the game struggling. I wish duke wouldn't start derping when there are lots of sprites, since the mall looks great but the fps is just shit.

This post has been edited by pacman: 04 June 2016 - 05:20 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Postpacman, on 04 June 2016 - 05:17 PM, said:

I wonder if anyone has played this map. I have found the blue card, but I can't find the door... I have been walking around for 30 minutes and I give up.
Behind the gas station. Not hidden in any way. Btw., it can even bee seen in the vid you've posted. :)

View Postpacman, on 04 June 2016 - 05:17 PM, said:

IBtw, the frame rate is really bad when looking at the mall from outside. It looks great but I wonder why mappers release something like this when it becomes annoying. He should have compromised on number of sprites which is what I asume is causing the fps drop. Or maybe my computer is too slow? The guy on the video has problems too so I asume it's the game struggling. I wish duke wouldn't start derping when there are lots of sprites, since the mall looks great but the fps is just shit.
RTFM : "This map was intended for play under 32 bit only. [,,,] Not tested with polymer." Use the Polymost renderer. Still less than 30fps -> your PC is too slow.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 04 June 2016 - 06:57 PM

User is offline   pacman 

View PostLeoD, on 04 June 2016 - 06:50 PM, said:

Behind the gas station. Not hidden in any way. Btw., it can even bee seen in the vid you've posted. :)

RTFM : "This map was intended for play under 32 bit only. [,,,] Not tested with polymer." Use the Polymost renderer. Still less than 30fps -> your PC is too slow.

You are right its even on the vid.

It's interesting how in those type of maps, once you've played for a while you start walking around so confused. I even killed all the troopers on there but was exactly the only place I never revisited again.

Also im always using polymost and my fps are like 20 when looking at the mall entrance. Honestly I fail to see how such an old game can be this cpu consuming, my computer is not that bad.

This post has been edited by pacman: 05 June 2016 - 12:49 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Postpacman, on 05 June 2016 - 10:58 AM, said:

It's interesting how in those type of maps, once you've played for a while you start walking around so confused.
My speciality is to search around for keys I've already collected without noticing ...

View Postpacman, on 05 June 2016 - 10:58 AM, said:

Honestly I fail to see how such an old game can be this cpu consuming, my computer is not that bad.
Many algorithms don't scale in a linear manner. Back then there was probably no need to optimize certain aspects of the engine, because hardware limitations would have stepped in much earlier anyway. But now, for example, if you have like 1000 visible objects (at least the engine might think so) in new maps instead of the old 50, things might go ape-shit despite running on a multi-GHz CPU/GPU. Duke 12:12 has one of the highest sprite counts I'm aware of, and I really appreciate the amount of detail Forge has put into it. I know not everyone does, but I'm willing to sacrifice quite some fps in favour of eye candy. :)

User is offline   pacman 

View PostLeoD, on 05 June 2016 - 03:56 PM, said:

My speciality is to search around for keys I've already collected without noticing ...

Many algorithms don't scale in a linear manner. Back then there was probably no need to optimize certain aspects of the engine, because hardware limitations would have stepped in much earlier anyway. But now, for example, if you have like 1000 visible objects (at least the engine might think so) in new maps instead of the old 50, things might go ape-shit despite running on a multi-GHz CPU/GPU. Duke 12:12 has one of the highest sprite counts I'm aware of, and I really appreciate the amount of detail Forge has put into it. I know not everyone does, but I'm willing to sacrifice quite some fps in favour of eye candy. :)

Can't the engine be improved? its open source now right? I have no idea about coding tho.

Anyway I finished the map, it was cool. I wonder what the green buttons at the end activate tho (the ones where you fight the final boss from ep3 at the end)

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

It ran fine on my computer when I released it (an amd dual core 3.3 ghz amd with 8 gb ram and a nvidia 650 ti).
It never occurred to me that it would cause some computers lag issues.
sorry.

thanks for playing it though

(the buttons at the end were on the three generators - hitting all three would shut off the forcefield rotating around the boss)

This post has been edited by Forge: 05 June 2016 - 10:25 PM

User is offline   pacman 

View PostForge, on 05 June 2016 - 08:31 PM, said:

It ran fine on my computer when I released it (an amd dual core 3.3 ghz amd with 8 gb ram and a nvidia 650 ti).
It never occurred to me that it would cause some computers lag issues.
sorry.

thanks for playing it though

(the buttons at the end were on the three generators - hitting all three would shut off the forcefield rotating around the boss)

Ah i see, nice. I was confused because I was able to damage it, but realized it rotates and has gaps where you can shoot.
I've got a quad core 2.4h, 4 gigs of ram (ddr2 tho) and and a shappire 7850. Not the best but decent, and the mall made me lag a lot with all the sprites. It looks nice tho.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options