Duke4.net Forums: Just bought Oblivion - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just bought Oblivion

User is offline   Mark 

I haven't been much of a game player for the last 5 or 6 years at least. In fact, the last game I bought was Far Cry 2. Last weekend I was looking around at a neighborhood garage sale and found a pile of maybe 20 games for $1 $2 and $3 each. I bought 5 games including Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Fallout 3 and spent only $10 total. Both are the GOTY editions with extra content. I installed them both and loaded up Fallout3 first. Looks good. Then I loaded up and played Oblivion. Oh boy, I can see dozens of hours during the next few months playing this one. Even on my older computer I can run all settings at ultra-high and its smooth and dreamy looking. I'm late to the party but I'm still going to enjoy this one immensely.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Oblivion was my first romp into the Elder Scrolls universe. I had seen my brother play Morrowind before. In fact, when I first bought HL2 I got it with an ATI AllInWonder gfx card bundle and it came with Morrowind. I gave it to him because he asked for it and he went to town on it. Eventually he bought Oblivion when it came out and I really liked the look of that one, and with my fancy new video card I could stand to play it quite well. I bought the GOTY edition for myself and I was hooked.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

People give Oblivion way too little credit. Very enjoyable game regardless of everything. I guess in fact I should go back and 100% one day.

Oblivion is a great 30 minute little ditty by bethesda. After finishing the introduction sequence and thrown into the world, you can reach a small tomb site with thieves in it. after beating them, your quest is apparently over and you killed the threat that defeated the emporer, as It kept closing to desktop whenever I attempted to go further.

That's my story! fuck oblivion it's a bad game with alot of wide open spaces with nothing in them that I could never reach. 10/10

This post has been edited by Carl Winslow: 01 June 2016 - 06:41 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I could never get into Oblivion or Skyrim. To me, combat is the worst part of a Bethesda game (with Fallout 4 being a huge improvement) and if Fallout 3/New Vegas didn't have VATs, I don't think I would've put as many hours into it as I did. Melee combat is also the worst part of FO3/NV's combat, and thats a main component of Oblivion and Skyrim's.
I also don't enjoy their take on fantasy, I prefer something more akin to Fable's fantasy.
I like the idea of the Elder Scrolls games, just couldn't ever get into them.

• The Sarien Encounter

I loved the combat. I also don't like "hardcore RPG" combat mechanics. So I like that they're "simple action arcade" games. Still can't get into Morrowind all these years later and a dozen attempts at starting a character.

Another thing I like about TES is its incredibly rich lore and storytelling. People like to rag on Bethesda's lack of storytelling ability but I think it's fantastic and quite enjoy it. Fallout on the other hand, I haven't been able to hold interest in. I haven't played the originals (dislike those types of RPGs) and haven't yet started New Vegas, but I've spent quite a bit of time in Fallout 3. It just doesn't hold my interest as much as a TES game.

User is offline   Mark 

I forgot to mention the other piece of great news in my first post. I was able to load in the DVDs and play the games without having to join Steam or anything else. Just like the good old days. Fallout 3 is the Games for Windows Live version but with that service gone it was load and go.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

You've been spoiled if you more concerned about dodging Steam, rather than Games for Windows Dead.

If you have a good net connection, Steam works. You couldn't say the same about GfWL. People would rather sell their rigs to World of Warcraft players and buy a 1st gen X Box 360 rather than have to use GfWL.

User is offline   Mark 

I'm referring to the ease of use and actual ownership of the physical discs, like the good old days

View PostMark., on 01 June 2016 - 05:11 PM, said:

I'm referring to the ease of use and actual ownership of the physical discs, like the good old days

Yeah, taking out and inserting several discs to install a single game, needing to download nocd patches, and needing to download patches in general is sure easier :) :D
I've been buying tons and tons of physical copies of old games, if they are the big box versions like with Serious Sam or Daikatana, even better!
I pretty much own nearly all classic FPS games I want from the 90s, but now I get to own the sweet boxes to display now too. And then there's stuff like the Max Payne 2 box that is just awesome to look at.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, Steam is definitely easier, but I get the owning physical copies argument. I still have my game CDs/DVDs even though I have duplicates on Steam.

User is offline   Mark 

The game is 1 disc and I downloaded 1 patch. And I didn't have to go through a long download process after signing in to an account where I had to give up personal info and agree to whatever Steam insists on doing regarding the game and probably a page or 2 of fine print.

But this discussion is hardly worth the effort in the larger scheme of things, so I'll let it drop.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 02 June 2016 - 03:32 AM

View PostMark., on 02 June 2016 - 03:29 AM, said:

The game is 1 disc and I downloaded 1 patch. And I didn't have to go through a long download process after signing in to an account where I had to give up personal info and agree to whatever Steam insists on doing regarding the game and probably a page or 2 of fine print.

But this discussion is hardly worth the effort in the larger scheme of things, so I'll let it drop.

Both sides are completely valid, its all a matter of taste!
I think we can all agree though that GFWL sucks

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options