• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

This has got to be one of the most fun, engaging and complete adrenaline rush gaming experiences for years.

User is offline   leilei 

View PostInspector Lagomorf, on 22 May 2016 - 08:30 AM, said:

The notion is not unheard of. People have attempted to convert the classic Doom levels to every engine underneath at the sun.

There's also always certain other conversion levels that seem to creep up for a ton of games:
- Blockfort
- Facility
- de_dust2
- The Cell Games Arena (well, for the early 2000's at least when a new eternal september of dbz dorks clogged the internet especially with the shortlived banner-supported ISPs)
- Matrix lobby
- Lockout
- Aerowalk (the waifu of any "pro arena gamer")
- Q3DM17

This post has been edited by leilei: 22 May 2016 - 03:06 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postgone, on 21 May 2016 - 08:44 PM, said:

I apologize for the way I acted if I offended anyone I feel that I was harsh in my words as a personal preference i'm not apologizing because I could lose my access here but because...

If you constructed your thoughts and words with the same care that you construct your levels, then you would never have a problem.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

I've made a few q3dm17 versions for Sw, lol.

I still love my q2dm1 The Edge recreation though.

This post has been edited by Robman: 22 May 2016 - 05:20 PM

I made a SnapMap, check it out folks! Groovy Doom - Slay Ride. Just search for groovy and it's one of two results, it'll pop up. Or the code thing is E7TKQ6XY

Posted Image

Used up 99.6% of "objects" which includes rooms/modules I think. Fast paced run and gun fun, single player or co-op. Took a while to get the encounters right with the various limits, but it's fun to mess around with.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

View PostInspector Lagomorf, on 22 May 2016 - 06:50 AM, said:

Which lunatic asylum did this map creator emerge from?

The irony is that Kevin Cloud was actually in charge of the development of Snapmap. John Carmack was actually the person who originally came up with the idea of Snapmap and obviously the game engine is mostly work he did (Bethesda can call it whatever they want, but it's id Tech 5 with some small enhancements), but if you watch the credits, his name is nowhere to be found despite that render engine being mostly his. John was long the one who pushed for modding ability and source releases and Kevin was the person who wasn't convinced of the benefits of John's ideas. Just some irony and bullshit for you. Let's not give John any credit for the work he did that influenced even the final game.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

How many co-op players can play at the same time? Also, are there keycards?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 22 May 2016 - 06:41 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 22 May 2016 - 06:40 PM, said:

How many co-op players can play at the same time? Also, are there keycards?

Up to four players, my map is up to two players. Oh yes there are keycards! There are also other things like color "power cores" you can insert into a power thingy, etc.

User is offline   ---- 

A few questions to those having used SnapMap (due to time constraints I wasn't able to look into it for more than 10 minutes ... also I have DooM installed on another PC, not the one I am sitting at). THen I am sitting at work and don't want to google through tons of pages.

- Is it possible to make a normal SP map with SnapMap. I.E.: Can you make it so that the player carries all weapons like in the campaign (all maps I testplayed made it so that you can only carry 2)?
- Is it possible to use your MP-CHaracter in a SnapMap-level? I only got the default red and white outfit, although my MP character is customized.
- Is it possible to make full campaigns with it? IE: Complete one map and go to the next map in the campaign.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 23 May 2016 - 02:08 AM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View Postfuegerstef, on 23 May 2016 - 02:07 AM, said:

A few questions to those having used SnapMap (due to time constraints I wasn't able to look into it for more than 10 minutes ... also I have DooM installed on another PC, not the one I am sitting at). THen I am sitting at work and don't want to google through tons of pages.

- Is it possible to make a normal SP map with SnapMap. I.E.: Can you make it so that the player carries all weapons like in the campaign (all maps I testplayed made it so that you can only carry 2)?
- Is it possible to use your MP-CHaracter in a SnapMap-level? I only got the default red and white outfit, although my MP character is customized.
- Is it possible to make full campaigns with it? IE: Complete one map and go to the next map in the campaign.

No, yes and no.

You can make Single Player maps, but they aren't anywhere as good as the campaign maps and you can only hold 2 weapons. It's obvious that Snapmap was built around the crappy multiplayer.

Character customization in Snapmap is separate from Multiplayer, you unlock character customization options with Snapmap points obtained by playing maps.

As far as I know you can't link the levels into a playlist.

Snapmap has potential, but right now it's pretty lackluster.

I still have no idea why bosses can't be put in Snapmap when there is a "Generic" Cyberdemon fight in the Tower of Babel Classic map.

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 23 May 2016 - 02:59 AM

View PostxMobilemux, on 23 May 2016 - 02:49 AM, said:

No, yes and no.

You can make Single Player maps, but they aren't anywhere as good as the campaign maps and you can only hold 2 weapons. It's obvious that Snapmap was built around the crappy multiplayer.

Character customization in Snapmap is separate from Multiplayer, you unlock character customization options with Snapmap points obtained by playing maps.

As far as I know you can't link the levels into a playlist.

Snapmap has potential, but right now it's pretty lackluster.

I still have no idea why bosses can't be put in Snapmap when there is a "Generic" Cyberdemon fight in the Tower of Babel Classic map.

An editor that has to reward you with points for using it? That's pretty sad, particularly in light of modding recently being announced for Fallout 4 while they have DOOM, a name of one of the most modded and ported games in history, locked down tighter than Fort Knox to where the binary is obfuscated, the configuration of the game is encrypted, and the game's data files are checked for integrity on start. All I can think is "what the hell id?" If you could possibly lose your way any more than this, I would have a hard time imagining it. I never imagined they would put out one of the most clearly anti-mod games ever. What they seem to forget is that modding is good for the developer and there are so many examples of this. Even if it was all about the money, allowing people to mod gives games an unnaturally long life. Look at the stuff still being made with the original DOOM. Would Duke Nukem 3D have the community it has if it was locked down like this?

View Postdeuxsonic, on 23 May 2016 - 03:17 AM, said:

An editor that has to reward you with points for using it? That's pretty sad, particularly in light of modding recently being announced for Fallout 4 while they have DOOM, a name of one of the most modded and ported games in history, locked down tighter than Fort Knox to where the binary is obfuscated, the configuration of the game is encrypted, and the game's data files are checked for integrity on start. All I can think is "what the hell id?" If you could possibly lose your way any more than this, I would have a hard time imagining it. I never imagined they would put out one of the most clearly anti-mod games ever. What they seem to forget is that modding is good for the developer and there are so many examples of this. Even if it was all about the money, allowing people to mod gives games an unnaturally long life. Look at the stuff still being made with the original DOOM. Would Duke Nukem 3D have the community it has if it was locked down like this?

Chances are all the Doom updates and Snapmap updates will be revealed at E3, building Snapmap around the multiplayer was the dumbest thing considering that no one is even playing the Multiplayer anymore.
I don't see that turning out well for the first part of the season pass.

Gearbox is in for one hell of a shitstorm if it's true that they are gonna lock out modding of the only available version of Duke3D.

View PostxMobilemux, on 23 May 2016 - 03:43 AM, said:

Chances are all the Doom updates and Snapmap updates will be revealed at E3, building Snapmap around the multiplayer was the dumbest thing considering that no one is even playing the Multiplayer anymore.
I don't see that turning out well for the first part of the season pass.

Gearbox is in for one hell of a shitstorm if it's true that they are gonna lock out modding of the only available version of Duke3D.

No one would buy it since the older releases of the game would be superior in this respect.

• Polymancer

View PostxMobilemux, on 23 May 2016 - 03:43 AM, said:

*snip*

Where did you hear that?

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostTea Monster, on 23 May 2016 - 04:18 AM, said:

Where did you hear that?

In the thread that doesn't exist anymore :)

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Now that I've come down off the sugar high of this great game, I do have a few small criticisms to level against the game itself. DooM is amazing, but obviously it's an incomplete product - a flawed diamond - based on the fact that its multiplayer is lackluster and, as it turns out, the Snapmap has nowhere near the same level of modding capability as afforded by the original game.

Let's not talk about that, though. Let's stick with the singleplayer campaign since pretty much everybody universally agrees that it's the best part of the game. I think the optimization of the game and graphics is a problem. Think about the conversation I had earlier in this thread. I had tried every single step that the "tech support" community had suggested to get the game running at a reasonable framerate. I know that I don't have 4GB of VRAM, but with my CPU and GFX card clock speed, I shouldn't need it, not when other people with 2GB of VRAM are getting steady ~60FPS for reasons I still cannot understand, and I doubt anyone here will. I'm loathe to buy a new GFX card simply for this game, especially when the game's recommended specs are already quite generous in favor of the user. I'm tempted to give Id/Bethesda a pass on this since the game did just come out, but still...

Also, the ambience and atmosphere of the game is great, but the little hologram guide that pops up everywhere and repeats the same messages over, and over, and over again gets on my nerves and at worst breaks the atmosphere. There ought to be option to silence it or turn it off, considering that pretty much everything else in the gameplay can be customized. I love the fact you can turn off the compass, objectives, object flashing, etc.. Every first-person shooter needs to have these features. And the ability to turn off the annoying voices in your ears.

The backtracking is great in this game, and the checkpoint system is okay, but there needs to be a way to reload from various selectable checkpoints when you die. When I get to the end of a map, I tend to backtrack and hunt for secrets that I've missed. It's annoying to go all the way back to the beginning of a map, die because of an errant bit of platforming, and then get warped back to the level's final checkpoint. This wouldn't be so bad if the game ran at the framerate it should be running at...

That's all. As for the game itself, if you don't include the broken multiplayer, I'd rate it an 8.8. With it, just 8.0.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Inspector Lagomorf: 23 May 2016 - 04:54 AM

Yes, in that thread that was deleted, though even if Gearbox does go through with it I don't see how we'll be able to get the standard version of Duke3D without resorting to piracy, unless of course all community maps and TCs can be done through the Duke3D Shareware.

But back to Doom, Snapmap desperately needs a massive update because it being restricted by being built around the multiplayer has hurt it greatly.

I'm guessing we'll get news of a single player expansion or something at E3 cause there's multiple hints to a continued story in Doom besides the obvious ending.
Like the demon terminals referring to a "Wretch" that gave Doomguy his armor and Doomguy backing up VEGA to possibly be his version of Cortana.

I don't know about everyone else, but I see the potential for the Doom and Wolfenstien franchises to be a linked Universe like the MCU since there's been hints to the Doomguy being a decedent of BJ Blazkowicz in other Doom games.

Spoiler

Those pricks made me love the Rocket Launcher even more.

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 23 May 2016 - 04:58 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Edit: Oh NVM.

View PostxMobilemux, on 23 May 2016 - 04:56 AM, said:

I don't know about everyone else, but I see the potential for the Doom and Wolfenstien franchises to be a linked Universe like the MCU since there's been hints to the Doomguy being a decedent of BJ Blazkowicz in other Doom games.

I've heard Commander Keen is a descendant of B.J. also. That makes the Doomguy shooting Keen at the end of MAP32 seem all the more disturbing.

This post has been edited by Inspector Lagomorf: 23 May 2016 - 05:25 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostInspector Lagomorf, on 23 May 2016 - 04:51 AM, said:

The backtracking is great in this game, and the checkpoint system is okay, but there needs to be a way to reload from various selectable checkpoints when you die. When I get to the end of a map, I tend to backtrack and hunt for secrets that I've missed. It's annoying to go all the way back to the beginning of a map, die because of an errant bit of platforming, and then get warped back to the level's final checkpoint. This wouldn't be so bad if the game ran at the framerate it should be running at...

One thing I will say, you don't keep any health, armor, or ammo you picked up, but any secrets, unlocks, or upgrades you get will automatically be saved, so if you went back to the beginning of the map and found a secret and then immediately died and went back to the end level checkpoint, the secret is still marked as finished and you get whatever the secret gave you.
My issue with backtracking is some levels don't allow it, like the Argent tower or Argent Facility Destroyed (or whatever its called) You get to certain areas and it becomes impossible to go back because they lock you out.

• Polymancer

I found that the chainsaw went through those shield guards like butter.

Speaking of the chainsaw, another con about Snapmap is the chainsaw isn't usable in it. Which killed the potential for some fun tag based game modes.

View PostxMobilemux, on 23 May 2016 - 07:22 AM, said:

Speaking of the chainsaw, another con about Snapmap is the chainsaw isn't usable in it. Which killed the potential for some fun tag based game modes.

That sounds like something they would fix in a patch.

User is offline   Jolteon 

Just finished the campaign of Doom on Ps4 last night, and I gotta say, It was AMAZING! I love it. It is just Awesome. Music is cool, The demons are cool (Except for the summoner), everything is fast paced, and you can't get enough of glory killing, or chainsawing demons. Although i did found a game breaking bug that did screwed me over though. In the first area of the final level (Where the first beam is) After I killed all the enemies, the doors to the beam opens, so I was exploring and I ended up in this area which I think might've been an alternate entrance. Then I accidentally fell off and died, so when I restart from last check point, I couldn't go through the doors even though they were open, and there was no enemies to face, so I just restarted the level. Other than that, the game is still awesome :D . It is a 1000 times better than Doom3 in my opinion (I do like Doom3 for what it was but it didn't really match up to that of the classics).

As for Snapmap, I do agree that what you can do is limited, for I did tried to remake Hollywood Holocaust from Duke Nukem 3D, and I admit, I did terrible a job on it. But I did played a few maps that were made by the community and I did had fun playing them (Btw I played your map PsychoGoatee, it is groovy indeed :) ). I just hope that they add more stuff to it soon, for it does have potential.

Lastly for Multiplayer... actually I played multiplayer once (I didn't played the closed alpha or open beta), and I don't really like it as much as campaign. It was just a letdown for me.

The only negatives that I have with this game is that multiplayer sucks (And Snapmap being limited too), but other than that, Doom is Awesome. It's my favorite game of the year so far :D (Not my #1 favorite of all time though, for Duke Nukem 3D is still my #1 favorite game of all time).

This post has been edited by Jolteon: 23 May 2016 - 08:47 AM

Why the 2 weapon limit in multiplayer? Prior DOOM games always let you carry the whole arsenal. Also, why does single player lack the full arsenal? No one thought it would be cool to have the Vortex Rifle for example in single player? Also, if the game has working bot code, why does it not have botmatch? No one might be interested in using bots?

User is offline   Lunick 

Consolitis

User is offline   leilei 

2 weapons to switch between is still more weapons than what really goes on in a typical Doom2 deathmatch.

This post has been edited by leilei: 23 May 2016 - 10:29 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 23 May 2016 - 03:41 PM, said:

Why the 2 weapon limit in multiplayer? Prior DOOM games always let you carry the whole arsenal. Also, why does single player lack the full arsenal? No one thought it would be cool to have the Vortex Rifle for example in single player? Also, if the game has working bot code, why does it not have botmatch? No one might be interested in using bots?

The MP-only weapons are redundant in the face of the weapon mods you get in singleplayer. They pretty much all just serve a purpose done by a weapon mod in the main game.

The 2 Weapon limit is because of dumb-dumbs in control of the MP development, but Overwatch is out now so the MP will be dead anyways (but the MP is mediocre and the SP is where it's at so oh well anyways)

This post has been edited by Jblade: 23 May 2016 - 10:39 PM

Have they been talking about releasing SP stand alone for a lower price? Not interested in MP.. :)
I mean Call of Duty did it the reverse way:)

User is offline   HulkNukem 

The singleplayer is worth full price

I just did my 2nd attempt at Ultra Nightmare, made it into that room just before you get the first Argent Cell and got killed by one of those fucking shield pricks. Fuck those guys!

But still this game is too awesome!

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options