Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostSanek, on 02 May 2016 - 01:55 AM, said:

Besides first shot, there's nothing that might be connected with Red 1. Don't even know how you get this idea.

I'm just saying visually it looks very much like Merlijn's work in particular. Not a slight against you or anything.

User is offline   Jolteon 

Some screenshots of a hotel for my next level. The area is dark, so it is hard to see.

Attached Image: capt0042.png Attached Image: capt0043.png Attached Image: capt0044.png
Attached Image: capt0045.png Attached Image: capt0046.png Attached Image: capt0047.png

Bonus:

Try to kill Sentry Drones before they reach you, while riding on a rotating gear.

Attached Image: duke0106.png

User is offline   Steve 64 

View PostJolteon, on 16 May 2016 - 04:31 PM, said:

Some screenshots of a hotel for my next level. The area is dark, so it is hard to see.

Attachment capt0042.png Attachment capt0043.png Attachment capt0044.png
Attachment capt0045.png Attachment capt0046.png Attachment capt0047.png

Bonus:

Try to kill Sentry Drones before they reach you, while riding on a rotating gear.

Attachment duke0106.png

Can't wait to play it and record it

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Worked on Part 2 of the last level (other half of the mothership)
Done some nice voxel stuff.
Main wires, pipes heading to the other half.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 17 May 2016 - 12:44 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

make SDL_TARGET=1 CUSTOMOPT="-DNO_ALIGNED_MALLOC -static-libstdc++"

Posted Image

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Doing some win95/eduke testing?

User is offline   JamesTan 

Adding support for Angelscript (http://www.angelcode.com/). The main intention here is to remove CON scripting and C gameplay code in favor of shifting everything to script so that eduke32 becomes more of an engine than a game. However, the benefits of using eduke32 as a start is to allow me to slowly do it over time rather than having to work from scratch.

Also, it is extremely surreal coming back to modifying Duke3D after all these years.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostJamesTan, on 23 May 2016 - 05:58 AM, said:

Adding support for Angelscript (http://www.angelcode.com/). The main intention here is to remove CON scripting and C gameplay code in favor of shifting everything to script so that eduke32 becomes more of an engine than a game. However, the benefits of using eduke32 as a start is to allow me to slowly do it over time rather than having to work from scratch.

Also, it is extremely surreal coming back to modifying Duke3D after all these years.

Have you seen the work put into lua-script?

https://forums.duke4...w-introduction/

• Weaponized Autism

This is a little bit out of touch with reality. Not just because we already have plans made and foundations in place to do this with Lua, but because what you've described is an enormous task for us who are actively familiar with the codebase.

From what I understand, you're getting back into the Duke scene after a long time away. We're glad to have you, welcome! :) But I suggest you start small and warm up before thinking big and falling flat.

View PostHendricks266, on 23 May 2016 - 08:07 AM, said:

This is a little bit out of touch with reality. Not just because we already have plans made and foundations in place to do this with Lua, but because what you've described is an enormous task for us who are actively familiar with the codebase.

From what I understand, you're getting back into the Duke scene after a long time away. We're glad to have you, welcome! :) But I suggest you start small and warm up before thinking big and falling flat.

It seems if you are going to replace the con script system with something, why not replace it with Mono C#? C# gives you the advantages of a powerful language, it's easy enough for people that hate coding to understand, and its cross platform. AngelScript and Lua for that matter are a pain in the ass debug on a PC, let alone a cross platform mod. I've integrated it into various engines, including the open source idtech 4 project I did. The performance overhead isn't bad, it's not even that hard to integrate into the codebase, and get something working.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 23 May 2016 - 08:46 AM

User is offline   TON 

View PostStabs, on 28 November 2011 - 03:10 AM, said:

Another shot from the new project i am working on, windows image viewer makes it heaps dark but seems fine in firefox

Attachment eduke32 2011-11-28 22-01-12-99.png

Ahh TROR, you have given me another 10 years use out of this engine AT least...

How do you get this ambient light effect?

Blue polymer light?

User is offline   blizzart 

View PostTON, on 23 May 2016 - 09:04 AM, said:

How do you get this ambient light effect?

Blue polymer light?

Yes. :)

• Weaponized Autism

View Posticecoldduke, on 23 May 2016 - 08:31 AM, said:

It seems if you are going to replace the con script system with something, why not replace it with Mono C#?

I don't even want to reply to this. It's a completely uninformed suggestion.

View PostHendricks266, on 23 May 2016 - 09:27 AM, said:

I don't even want to reply to this. It's a completely uninformed suggestion.

How so? It is the more logical choice :). I hate scripting languages in general, it is a unneeded abstraction layer above native code(if your coding in AngelScript for example, you might as well just code in C), but Mono C# alleviates most of my annoyances with scripting languages; that is power, and proper debugging tools. I hate having to debug using verbose methods :D. I always hated Lua's syntax, and the Lua debugging tools that are out there never work right.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 23 May 2016 - 09:51 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

No one suggested actually replacing the CON scripting system. How would that even work? Even the original game from 1996 used CON scripts for most of the enemies and a lot of other important stuff, not to mention literally every mod ever released since then.

HelixHorned's work on Lua script was as an optional alternative, not a replacement.

User is offline   Hank 

[Just sneaking in]
I used Lua with the Cryengine on Visual Studio. Microsoft even has official support now for LUA with a work in progress debugger.
Yes, this has nothing to do with with EDuke, but guys like me are only interested in changing actor AI and game play, so any well documented scripting system would do the trick, even the current extended cons, as is. Posted Image
[/sneaking out]

This post has been edited by Hank: 23 May 2016 - 10:36 AM

View PostTrooper Dan, on 23 May 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

No one suggested actually replacing the CON scripting system. How would that even work? Even the original game from 1996 used CON scripts for most of the enemies and a lot of other important stuff, not to mention literally every mod ever released since then.

HelixHorned's work on Lua script was as an optional alternative, not a replacement.

View PostHank, on 23 May 2016 - 10:22 AM, said:

[Just sneaking in]
I used Lua with the Cryengine on Visual Studio. Microsoft even has official support now for LUA with a work in progress debugger.
Yes, this has nothing to do with with EDuke, but guys like me are only interested in changing actor AI and game play, so any well documented scripting system would do the trick. Posted Image
[/sneaking out]

I've shipped a couple CryEngine games and Lua always got in the way, so we opted not to use it. If you have a work flow for it great :) Just saying in my experience, Lua proved to be a pain in the ass. If the plan is to keep CON and add another scripting language on top of CON(which makes sense), then personally I would vote for Mono C#, you could get something working in a afternoon. I think C# will bring more coders over to the community.

User is offline   Hank 

View Posticecoldduke, on 23 May 2016 - 10:36 AM, said:

If the plan is to keep CON and add another scripting language on top of CON(which makes sense), - cut

I've no idea what the plan is. Posted Image All I did is voice my personal opinion, as an outsider. Posted Image

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

The plan with Lunatic was to implement Lua as a replacement for CON and as a replacement for all of the hard-coded game logic, IIRC.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTerminX, on 23 May 2016 - 11:49 AM, said:

The plan with Lunatic was to implement Lua as a replacement for CON and as a replacement for all of the hard-coded game logic, IIRC.

Right. Helix wrote a CON to Lua compiler to preserve backwards compatibility.

View Posticecoldduke, on 23 May 2016 - 10:36 AM, said:

then personally I would vote for Mono C#, you could get something working in a afternoon.

Bullshit.

Obviously we have different definitions of "working".

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Er, you may like using Mono C#, but it's so heavy you might as well use Java. Heck it would be less overhead.

Stick with Lua, it's going to be faster and more flexible for what you need it for (it's also MIT license).

View PostHendricks266, on 23 May 2016 - 12:15 PM, said:

Right. Helix wrote a CON to Lua compiler to preserve backwards compatibility.

Bullshit.

Obviously we have different definitions of "working".

Working as in you can invoke a C# function from C++ and vice versa. Is there a particular reason why you don't like C# Mono? When I started porting the front end for Doom Radiant over to C#, I think from start -> getting the viewports over to C# with everything working was about a weekend's worth of work.

(Be gentle this code was from 4 years ago now :)).
idtech 4 cdk c# viewport .cs

I could call C# from C++ and vice versa. I could draw the scene, add and remove entities, etc.

idTech 4 CDK NativeAPI.cs

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 23 May 2016 - 12:56 PM

I think we can debate about the pros and cons for any number of scripting languages out there. For now, Angelscript appears to have all of the necessary bits I want to do the job. Lua doesn't quite have all the nice things that I want that Angelscript offers me.

I also think to be clear, that what I'm doing is according to my own ulterior motives. There have always been a lot of things I wanted to do with Duke3D; but back then I didn't have the know how to do it. I've gotten a little better at making games these days, so now seems to be about the right time for me to do it.

Whether anybody else uses what I hopefully eventually create is not a strong concern of mine, my actual hope is that people will play what I've created in the end (Duke Plus is awesome!).

This post has been edited by JamesTan: 23 May 2016 - 12:58 PM

View PostJamesTan, on 23 May 2016 - 12:57 PM, said:

I think we can debate about the pros and cons for any number of scripting languages out there. For now, Angelscript appears to have all of the necessary bits I want to do the job. Lua doesn't quite have all the nice things that I want that Angelscript offers me.

I also think to be clear, that what I'm doing is according to my own ulterior motives. There have always been a lot of things I wanted to do with Duke3D; but back then I didn't have the know how to do it. I've gotten a little better at making games these days, so now seems to be about the right time for me to do it.

Whether anybody else uses what I hopefully eventually create is not a strong concern of mine, my actual hope is that people will play what I've created in the end (Duke Plus is awesome!).

That is the way to do it :).

View Posticecoldduke, on 23 May 2016 - 12:50 PM, said:

Working as in you can invoke a C# function from C++ and vice versa.
-snip-
I could call C# from C++ and vice versa. I could draw the scene, add and remove entities, etc.

Which you can also do in any scripting language that isn't designed by chimpanzees (Lua, AngelScript, etc)
C# wouldn't be the choice I'd make for a scripting language, personally, but it's not my decision

This post has been edited by TheZombieKiller: 23 May 2016 - 09:20 PM

User is offline   CruX 

Posted Image

I'm at wall # 15300 now and still have a few rooms to do. This is about at stressful as the map making process gets IMO, it'll soon be done though, whether I like it or not.

View PostMblackwell, on 23 May 2016 - 12:44 PM, said:

Er, you may like using Mono C#, but it's so heavy you might as well use Java. Heck it would be less overhead.

Stick with Lua, it's going to be faster and more flexible for what you need it for (it's also MIT license).

I don't know about the relative technical merits of Lua vs C#, but Mono has been relicensed: https://www.xamarin.com/licensing

Been a busy week at work, but I've managed to make some good progress this weekend.

I've started writing an object orientated representation of the world using Unreal Engine's architecture. Right now all this new code is encapsulated within a class called UEngine which is instanced when EDuke32 is launched. UEngine then creates the UScriptManager which uses Angelscript for compiling all of the scripts. Right now UScriptManager just handles uncompiled scripts, but in the future compiled byte code will be added to remove compile times from players.

When a level is launched, a UWorld is instanced. When UWorld is instanced it creates an APlayerController. APlayerController will act as the class which handles input and interprets this to whatever it is controlling (an ACharacter, or more specifically ACharacterDuke). This is to separate input interpretation away from how a character behaves and functions. In the future, a different type of AController will be available such as AAIController which can represent monsters, Duke bots or friendly AI ... or whatever people want.

APlayerController also instance a few other classes. Right now it also instances AHUD which will be used to render the heads up display to the player.

Scripting works currently by having C++ classes directly bind to them. Scripts can call C++ functions and C++ functions can also call script functions. Script functions can of course call other script functions. Scripts can also call a set of global C++ functions such as logging to the log file, searching for other actors and so forth. This allows script to be able to offload any heavy computational work to C++ and then get the results back later.

At the moment pure script classes aren't supported. The intention is to eventually allow it however, but I want to get more of the basics working first. My next task is to remove the HUD from C and shift that purely into script. What I need to do is to add script accessible functions to allow the HUD script to directly draw onto it.

When the level is finished, the UWorld is torn down and everything is cleared from memory. What I plan to do at the moment is to perhaps save the player's progress to disk or to memory and then retrieve them when a new level is launched.

User is offline   Merlijn 

Still working at my city map and making steady progress. Currently at 10937 walls and 1302 sectors.
I hope I can add everything I want without hitting the wall limit lol

Here's a screenshot of the latest location (built today).
A bit more focus on shadows than I usually do.
Attached Image: duke0038.png

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

So much depth, it's like a 3D image Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options