Duke4.net Forums: Doom Corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 157 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is online   zykov eddy 

I've got one simple question - what's the point of two weapon limit is some modern shooters, including Doom and DNF? It's because the developers thought it's realistic, or there's another (and more logical) reason behind it?

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 15 April 2016 - 01:32 PM

View Postzykov eddy, on 15 April 2016 - 01:20 PM, said:

I've got one simple question - what's the point of two weapon limit is some modern shooters, including Doom and DNF? It's because the developers thought it's realistic, or there's another (and more logical) reason behind it?

Lucikly the campaign does let you have all the guns. And in multiplayer, while you can only hold two at once, you get several custom loadout slots and you can switch these any time you die. So effectively, you can use any gun you want pretty much whenever you want.

I actually don't mind only having two on me in multiplayer. I think it's a balancing choice. And in classic arena shooters it was uncommon to be alive long enough to get more than a few of the guns anyway.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Yeah the two weapon limit in DNF's multiplayer was nowhere near as annoying as it was in the campaign. Having said that, it would've been nice to pick up more guns anyway.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostMicky C, on 15 April 2016 - 02:01 PM, said:

Yeah the two weapon limit in DNF's multiplayer was nowhere near as annoying as it was in the campaign. Having said that, it would've been nice to pick up more guns anyway.

The four weapon limit they added made the game so much more enjoyable.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

It's part realism, part the developers making it easy to shoehorn you into using weapons for specific regions so you don't carry a large arsenal from level to level.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostInspector Lagomorf, on 15 April 2016 - 03:53 PM, said:

It's part realism, part the developers making it easy to shoehorn you into using weapons for specific regions so you don't carry a large arsenal from level to level.

And part laziness, as they can just randomly litter weapons around the place or have other enemies drop them rather than actually putting thought into weapon and ammo placement for differently-performing weapons.

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMicky C, on 15 April 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

And part laziness, as they can just randomly litter weapons around the place or have other enemies drop them rather than actually putting thought into weapon and ammo placement for differently-performing weapons.

Well, really, who in their right mind would leave a BFG 9000 right in the middle of a military installation where anybody could get it? :D

User is offline   LkMax 

People were right and I didn't listened, Doom guy is slower then I anticipated (it looked faster on videos for some reason õ_O).

View PostPikaCommando, on 15 April 2016 - 02:05 AM, said:

Sucks that the game won't launch if you have GTX 750TI or anything weaker than it.

Runs fine on my rig (750 ti), though I had to low a few settings (motion blur, anti-aliasing and a bit of the resolution) to run on around 50 or 60 fps.
The first time the game loads it takes a while though (and the game informs about it before the Bethesda logo).

My 3rd level in progress.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: zdoom 2016-04-16 15-31-52-18.jpg
  • Attached Image: zdoom 2016-04-16 16-44-57-35.jpg

This post has been edited by William Gee: 15 April 2016 - 08:46 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostInspector Lagomorf, on 15 April 2016 - 04:03 PM, said:

Well, really, who in their right mind would leave a BFG 9000 right in the middle of a military installation where anybody could get it? :D

The failure of modern game developers is their obsession with the idea that I want to play a game that is realistic. I want stylism. Doom 1/2 are fun because they're stylistic, not realistic. Doom is all about strategy, look up any "professional" Doomer on YouTube. Analyze their playing style. They've tuned their playing style almost into a science. The game is pure strategy, resource management.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

User is offline   leilei 

The announcer sure sounds a lot like Stephen Weyte...

User is offline   deuxsonic 

George played Halo and said "we need this!" probably. Wasn't that part of the problem that other developers talked about was that every game he saw would result in more changes he wanted to DNF?

Hell, the Doomguy even looks like Master Chief now.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 16 April 2016 - 02:49 AM

What do you guys think of the Heavy Machine Gun in the new Doom's MP? (and, to an extent, the HMG in Quake Live).

User is offline   Lunick 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostJimmy Gnosis, on 15 April 2016 - 07:44 PM, said:

The failure of modern game developers is their obsession with the idea that I want to play a game that is realistic. I want stylism. Doom 1/2 are fun because they're stylistic, not realistic. Doom is all about strategy, look up any "professional" Doomer on YouTube. Analyze their playing style. They've tuned their playing style almost into a science. The game is pure strategy, resource management.

It's amazing what strategies and tactics I've retained from playing Doom so many years ago. Just last weekend I played the Japanese community project previously mentioned in this thread. I found myself replicating tactics I had learned so many years ago but had never felt the need or means to use in any other first person shooter, much less the modern ilk like Halo: circle strafing, strategic retreats, memorizing placement of medikits and ammo, splash damage with groups of enemies, I could go on and on.

View PostJimmy Gnosis, on 15 April 2016 - 07:44 PM, said:

Any pro-Doomers you'd recommend? (in terms of learning more from his videos)

Aside from Fatal1ty, of course:

View PostPikaCommando, on 16 April 2016 - 03:30 AM, said:

What do you guys think of the Heavy Machine Gun in the new Doom's MP? (and, to an extent, the HMG in Quake Live).

I haven't used it much, seems it's good for picking some health away from enemies during say Warpath mode. But for general killing ass-kickery might as well pick other weapons like rocket launcher, super shotgun, etc. I actually like the plasma gun a bit more than the HMG because I like the alternate fire where you put fire on the ground, though the HMG is hitscan which is nice.

User is offline   Dukelord 

Lego BFG is awesome! )

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I don't know if anyone would be interested in this, but I've put my Pinky Demon up onto Shapeways.

You can have a little desktop companion from Hell, in white or pink plastic, or in full color!

https://www.shapeway...oftheteamonster

Posted Image

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

I lost all my trust in Certain Affinity when it comes to multiplayer. They should just stick to the franchises they're known for.

I just hope Bethesda doesn't break it's promise of putting in a classic DM mode. (Mentioned at E3)

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 17 April 2016 - 02:00 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostStrikerMan780, on 17 April 2016 - 01:59 PM, said:

I lost all my trust in Certain Affinity when it comes to multiplayer. They should just stick to the franchises they're known for.

I just hope Bethesda doesn't break it's promise of putting in a classic DM mode. (Mentioned at E3)

Pretty sure that was just used as an example for Snapmap custom game modes.

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostTea Monster, on 17 April 2016 - 06:58 AM, said:

I don't know if anyone would be interested in this, but I've put my Pinky Demon up onto Shapeways.

You can have a little desktop companion from Hell, in white or pink plastic, or in full color!

https://www.shapeway...oftheteamonster

I have never bought anything from Shapeways, but I nearly bought this... one question that I am wondering is why the purchaser can't pick the scale/size? If it was say twice as large, it would be much more appealing to me.

Great job on him! :D

MrBlackCat

Since Doomguy has power armor now...

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 17 April 2016 - 06:59 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostLunick, on 15 April 2016 - 12:04 AM, said:

Uh oh...
Posted Image

UH OH...
Posted Image

This actually makes it the second lowest rated Bethesda published product on Steam

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I can rescale it. I think that the size that it is at is near the limit for that kind of print. I'll check and get back to you.

View PostLunick, on 17 April 2016 - 11:38 PM, said:

UH OH...
Posted Image

This actually makes it the second lowest rated Bethesda published product on Steam

Whoa, the beta is ranked lower than Rogue Warrior!

What's the bottom-ranked game in the Beth catalog?

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 17 April 2016 - 11:54 PM, said:

What's the bottom-ranked game in the Beth catalog?

Fallout 4 Wasteland Workshop DLC http://store.steampo...com/app/435880/
Posted Image

View PostLunick, on 17 April 2016 - 11:57 PM, said:

Fallout 4 Wasteland Workshop DLC http://store.steampo...com/app/435880/
Posted Image

Great month for Bethesda!
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 157 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options