• 157 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Psh, no. Hell no. Quake 4 MP lacks all the speed and grace of a classic Quake 3 deathmatch experience. Same goes for Doom 3's multiplayer. Though it is my personal opinion that the engine was never designed to handle multiplayer really well and that's why, with the exception of Prey, there were never any particularly good multiplayer experiences with idtech 4.

View Postleilei, on 05 April 2016 - 01:47 PM, said:

After Doom3/Quake4 I didn't hear the end of it in megatexture hype. It was hard to miss. Plus they had been hitting the mobiles around the time with their Fountainhead division.

You'd have to be under one hell of a rock to think id didn't exist after Doom3 (in any pre-Zenimax form before 2009 that is).

I really was under a huge rock during that time, so I'd appreciate any articles regarding its announcement and hype building. Didn't Quake Wars already use megatextures?

Also, why were they targeting mobiles?

User is offline   deuxsonic 

View PostPikaCommando, on 05 April 2016 - 05:06 PM, said:

I really was under a huge rock during that time, so I'd appreciate any articles regarding its announcement and hype building. Didn't Quake Wars already use megatextures?

Also, why were they targeting mobiles?

id Tech 4 did not originally have MegaTexture or the ability to stream in textures. id Tech 4 was not used for many games, so Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and Wolfenstein (2009) are where you can see these 2 additions to the engine. This was the starting point which was originally nicknamed GigaTexture that became id Tech 5's streaming of all texture data which you can continue to see in both Machine Games' Wolfenstein games and in DOOM (2016).

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 05 April 2016 - 02:07 PM, said:

Psh, no. Hell no. Quake 4 MP lacks all the speed and grace of a classic Quake 3 deathmatch experience. Same goes for Doom 3's multiplayer. Though it is my personal opinion that the engine was never designed to handle multiplayer really well and that's why, with the exception of Prey, there were never any particularly good multiplayer experiences with idtech 4.

I agree on your thoughts of id tech 4 for MP, though I enjoyed Quake Wars to an extent. All I meant was that Raven attempted to emulate Q3, not that they were successful.

I added a smaller level to start a episode so now there are 2 levels.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   MetHy 

I've played both William Gee's maps, I enjoyed them, although it was challenging due to the tons of ennemies. I did like how we get powerful weapons along the way though.

The damaging ground was a bit of a pain due to the lack of health, and the glitches grounds hurting when they're not supposed to didn't help.

I've had two issues with both maps though, they're very cramped, and it's hard to tell where to go next. Something triggers and you're not sure what, sometimes you only even realize something actually triggered once you see it, it's not very intuitive. I did like the way the middle area changes and is re-used during the map, it reminded me of some maps of Powerslave (DOS) which I enjoyed a lot. I just wish it wasn't as cramped and a little more intuitive. If you're into these kind of level design you should play Powerslave (DOS) if you haven't already, they do that in some maps and really well.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 06 April 2016 - 08:01 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

There will be an open beta for the new Doom starting the 15th of April to the 18th.
This is an open beta, anyone will be able to download it. It has the same content as the closed beta.

Kind of a slap in the face for promising those who pre order TNO access to the beta only to just have an open beta anyways, but meh

Bethesda announced a $40 season pass. The first content pack will contain exclusive weapons and maps. :D

"Support for Doom doesn't end when the game is out. For the rest of the year, we expect to provide certain free content updates across SnapMap and multiplayer."

Along with free content, Doom will haves three premium multiplayer DLC packs following its launch. These will include "a number of new maps, hack modules, playable demons, weapons, and more."

Each DLC pack will cost $14.99/£11.99/€14.99. A season pass will also be available for $39.99/£29.99/€39.99. The first premium DLC pack are as follows:

Three new maps
One new weapon
One new playable demon
One new armour set
One new piece of equipment
New hack modules and taunts
New customization colours and patterns

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostHulkNukem, on 06 April 2016 - 09:18 AM, said:

There will be an open beta for the new Doom starting the 15th of April to the 18th.
This is an open beta, anyone will be able to download it. It has the same content as the closed beta.

Kind of a slap in the face for promising those who pre order TNO access to the beta only to just have an open beta anyways, but meh

Sigh...stupid.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 06 April 2016 - 12:20 PM

The old CoD DLC model. That awkward feeling when you know the corporate-driven plan is doomed to failure. Unless you're a mega franchise like BF or CoD, the MP community on PC is going to die quick.

Luckily, I have no interest in playing the competitive multiplayer side that much, it will be 80% singleplayer campaign for me, with 20% snapmap maps with a bunch of custom maps with demons.
If there are bots like there was in the leaked alpha, then I will play the deathmatch component, but I don't really enjoy playing online with others in deathmatch type modes.

Give me some singleplayer campaign, or even a coop campaign as DLC, then I'll pay

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 06 April 2016 - 12:28 PM

View PostHulkNukem, on 06 April 2016 - 12:28 PM, said:

Luckily, I have no interest in playing the competitive multiplayer side that much, it will be 80% singleplayer campaign for me, with 20% snapmap maps with a bunch of custom maps with demons.

I feel that maps being part of the pass may offer some insight into how limited SnapMap is going to be as a content creation tool.

At least they've mentioned they'll be adding new stuff for free as well, including adding more stuff for SnapMap.

"On top of being able to access and play new modes and maps created by your fellow gamers, id plans to offer content updates for SnapMap, including map modules; props and objects; additional features and functionality; AI enhancements; editing tool enhancements and more. Multiplayer will also receive content updates in the form of new game modes. Both of these SnapMap and multiplayer updates will be free to use and play."

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 06 April 2016 - 12:46 PM

Did anyone really expect Bethesda to not do an open beta? If you only bought Wolfenstein to get access to a incomplete buggy build of a different game, then you really only have to blame yourself if your mad at them releasing a open beta :D.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 06 April 2016 - 01:37 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

It should have been public to begin with. The closed beta didn't really get much in the way of bug reports and shit. Forums were comprised of a very small group of people.

• The Sarien Encounter

They obviously did it to get more sales for Wolfenstein (at least that game deserves its money, though). Then after the glorious foretold 3-day long closed beta extravaganza...they release it to the public 2 weeks later under the guise of "everybody gets to be in on the fun now! love us!" Jerks. Granted, this is all probably marketing schemes on the publisher's side of things. They're always the jerks that give developers a bad name. Except Gearbox. They're jerks all by themselves.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Gearbox is an indie company with a large corporate attitude and shady means of doing business. There's no wonder why they're shit all on their own.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 06 April 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

At least they've mentioned they'll be adding new stuff for free as well, including adding more stuff for SnapMap.

"On top of being able to access and play new modes and maps created by your fellow gamers, id plans to offer content updates for SnapMap, including map modules; props and objects; additional features and functionality; AI enhancements; editing tool enhancements and more. Multiplayer will also receive content updates in the form of new game modes. Both of these SnapMap and multiplayer updates will be free to use and play."

The problem, and this is always a problem with pay-for DLC stuff, is you then create a schism in the MP community between the haves and have nots. This causes people to just start leaving the multiplayer scene because they don't have the same content as other players and they can't access all of the servers because of it.

I'm all for having bonuses and stuff for DLC, or single-player map packs, but when they do that with the multiplayer map packs you're basically forced to buy them, or you're going to find yourself booted out of rooms due to not having the content. It's frustrating.

I'd rather they charge extra for multiplayer modes, skins, and MAYBE weapons instead of maps.
Something like Freezetag is a really cool fun throwaway mode, but maps that are behind a paywall mean less people are going to play together than if the gimmick game modes were premium because its not something youd put the most time into.
Anyways, like I said, I'm more into the SP stuff, and hope for some new singleplayer content, and Snapmap stuff being free is always a plus.

Slap in the face? TNO was released 2 years ago. If anything, it's a fair reward to those who preferred to wait instead of pre-ordering TNO.

User is online   Malgon 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 06 April 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:

I feel that maps being part of the pass may offer some insight into how limited SnapMap is going to be as a content creation tool.

Sorry for the slightly off-topic, but are you Dr Proton over at Shacknews?

Dr Proton said:

Mate, SP looks scripted as fuck. The fact they're charging for maps may offer some insight into how limited SnapMap is going to be as a content creation tool.

If not, that's a spooky coincidence!

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

What are the chances of the functionality they'll be adding to Snapmap over time allowing it to approach the functionality of a full map editor?

User is offline   deuxsonic 

View PostMicky C, on 07 April 2016 - 12:28 AM, said:

What are the chances of the functionality they'll be adding to Snapmap over time allowing it to approach the functionality of a full map editor?

Likely zero. A full map editor is way more than you could ever put on one of the console versions of the game and the publishers seem to always want parity across all versions of a game nowadays. Even using the full development tools, it's not easy making maps in id Tech 5.

The whole alpha and beta process should have been open from the beginning. I use Q3Test as an example of why. You've got tons of people in there playing an unpolished version of the game and getting feedback from lots of people, plus there is no better advertising really than offering to let people play the thing. Restricting it to tiny groups of people defeats the purpose of having a beta release as you're looking for as much feedback as possible which you don't get from the 5 people who made the mistake of preordering a game. Preordering games promotes broken game releases because they know they already have your money so there is less incentive to do good work. How many games get released now basically unfinished and it takes rounds of patches just to get it to where it should have been at release. When I see the game and it's rock solid, then I'll buy it.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 07 April 2016 - 01:37 AM

View Postdeuxsonic, on 07 April 2016 - 01:37 AM, said:

Likely zero. A full map editor is way more than you could ever put on one of the console versions of the game and the publishers seem to always want parity across all versions of a game nowadays. Even using the full development tools, it's not easy making maps in id Tech 5.

Which is really lame if you ask me. PC is capable of more, let PC have the best possibilities.

User is offline   Lunick 

Talking about the new Doom is depressing, how about we look at some cool projects instead!

The Japanese Community Project is looking for some feedback on their recently released wad.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Some removed levels are being reinserted into GBA Doom
Posted Image

Jorts

View Postdeuxsonic, on 07 April 2016 - 01:37 AM, said:

Preordering games promotes broken game releases because they know they already have your money so there is less incentive to do good work.

I don't understand all the uproar with people and betas. I'm sure all the engineers working on Doom are working sleepless nights getting the final build polished and ready for us to play next month. I personally would prefer all resources be dedicated to shipping Doom, then delivering a "proper experience" with a build that only represents a small subset of the final game.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 07 April 2016 - 06:11 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Betas =/= preorders. I completeld disagree with preorders. No problem with betas. You've got hands on content there, even if it is early. With preorders you're paying money for nothing now and complete ignorance of what you're going to end up getting. Don't like it? Tough. You paid for it. And especially now with digital distribution and less possibilities for refunds, it's hard to redeem your lost money back.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 07 April 2016 - 07:13 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

This discussion suddenly reminded of how Bethesda released a "special edition" of Daggerfall with extra quests that was exclusive to CompUSA, while those who pre-ordered the game would get the regular version without the extras. That caused quite an uproar.

View PostMicky C, on 07 April 2016 - 12:28 AM, said:

Data mining of the alpha/beta by me and marrub revealed that Snapmap will have sets of objects and prefabs to place in maps, I can't remember if they were paid for with real cash or that ingame money system though.
It'll never be as powerful as a proper map editor, though.

This post has been edited by TheZombieKiller: 07 April 2016 - 09:40 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 07 April 2016 - 07:11 AM, said:

Betas =/= preorders. I completeld disagree with preorders. No problem with betas. You've got hands on content there, even if it is early. With preorders you're paying money for nothing now and complete ignorance of what you're going to end up getting. Don't like it? Tough. You paid for it. And especially now with digital distribution and less possibilities for refunds, it's hard to redeem your lost money back.

Assuming you even get your pre-order.

Share this topic:

• 157 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options