Duke4.net Forums: PolymerNG will use Vulkan and D3D12 - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

PolymerNG will use Vulkan and D3D12

User is offline   Mark 

If we had more capable coders in the community to support a seperate NG version it would make the best sense. But we don't, so if we ever get NG it has to stay backward compatible. ( which limits the possibilities of it ever happening in the first place because of the added complexity )

OR

ICD astounds us all when he finishes it. :whistling: ( and it passes Eduke's board approval )

This post has been edited by Mark.: 29 March 2016 - 11:20 AM

User is offline   TON 

Is posible look up 90º using eduke32 or only 72º?

Sorry everyone I've had a lot of work over the past several weeks, I'm still here and I'm still working on things :D, just things were going slow. I made some time this weekend and ported the code I have over to UWP and deployed it to the XB1. I have some threading crashes/direct3d crashes on startup that I need to look into, but I figured I would take a quick pic.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 02 April 2016 - 07:44 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

UWP?

April Fools was yesterday.

View PostMblackwell, on 02 April 2016 - 05:33 PM, said:

UWP?

April Fools was yesterday.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 03 April 2016 - 04:25 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Posticecoldduke, on 02 April 2016 - 04:27 PM, said:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Micky C: 02 April 2016 - 06:02 PM

User is offline   TON 

I was playing GLduke yesterday and you can look up 90º. Is the first time I see this with duke3d

And is the icecoldduke's port from 2003 xD

This post has been edited by TON: 15 April 2016 - 01:51 AM

View PostTON, on 03 April 2016 - 02:33 AM, said:

I was playing GLduke yesterday and you can look up 90º. Is the first time I see this with duke3d

And is the icecoldduke's port from 2003 xD

That port just won't die. A friend of mine at the studio I work at found that, lets just say the shit talking hasn't stopped since. :D.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 03 April 2016 - 07:49 AM

User is offline   TON 

View Posticecoldduke, on 03 April 2016 - 07:46 AM, said:

That port just won't die. A friend of mine at the studio I work at found that, lets just say the shit talking hasn't stopped since. :D.

Nice news. Do you remember how to add tga skins in models.txt?

The models appear white

View PostTON, on 03 April 2016 - 08:11 AM, said:

Nice news. Do you remember how to add tga skins in models.txt?

The models appear white

Nope.

User is offline   TON 

Ok, this list of PolymerNG is updated or do you have new progress?

View Posticecoldduke, on 23 November 2015 - 07:11 AM, said:

What I've already done:
  • Created the new PolymerNG renderer - currently doesn't render anything yet.
  • Created a RHI layer, so the renderer is API agnostic.
  • Created external shader support that uses HLSL syntax and converts to GLSL. Also have smart shader functionality(e.g. automatic shader paremetor hookup).
  • Math Support Functions(Vector, Matrix, etc).

What needs to be done:
  • Deprecation of fixed function code that Polymer relies on in Polymost.
  • Getting the Albedo pass on its feet, including the software occlusion system.
  • Get deffered lighting system in.
  • Shadow Mapping: We can already use what's in polymer already, but there are some things missing I'd like to get in.

What would be nice:
  • Volumetric Light Scattering(Realtime God Rays) -- see below.
  • Screen Space Reflection
  • Tone Mapping
  • Two specular map support
  • G-Buffer
  • Depth Of Field
  • Subsurface Scattering.
  • SSAO

BackLog:
  • Phsyics
  • Skeletal Models - FBX

View PostTON, on 03 April 2016 - 08:22 AM, said:

Ok, this list of PolymerNG is updated or do you have new progress?

Fixed function removal is done, albedo pass is done for the dx12 version.

Right now I want to get the console version on it's feet and running. I think we can maybe appeal to a wider audience if eduke32 can run on the XB1 and run mods as well on the console. Some people on here might disagree with me, but that's going to be my goal going forward. With that I need to do some more work on the DX11 RHI layer(since the XB1 preview dev doesn't support DX12 yet). All of the previous goals apply, just now I'm going to support the XB1. I want to make that my primary development platform, only because it will be easier to support. It's a console, it has fixed hardware. All of the previous goals apply, but I want all of the above to work on Windows, and XB1. I don't plan on supporting Windows Phone, even though it should work, I don't care about the Windows Phone.

I wouldn't be able to get this on marketplace, this would mean though that everyone that wants to play eduke32 on the consoles, would have to enable dev mode on there consoles, then push the game from a PC to there XBOX. I can enable the push via a simple frontend interface. I can see a lot of ports doing this, and yes people will complain at first, but I can sort of see this type of sideloading becoming a acceptable annoyance going forward.

Yes you will be able to push the build over to the XB1 through WINE, or another type of Windows VM on Linux.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 03 April 2016 - 09:02 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

My Son is going to hate me :D

Do you need to sign up for a dev account to access this?

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 03 April 2016 - 09:29 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I have a PS4 and no plans to get an Xbox1...still it sounds awesome.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostTON, on 03 April 2016 - 02:33 AM, said:

That is possible in Polymer. However it cannot be added to the vanilla game because of the code used by projectiles.

This post has been edited by Fox: 03 April 2016 - 10:01 AM

View PostTea Monster, on 03 April 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

My Son is going to hate me :D

Do you need to sign up for a dev account to access this?

Yes you will need to sign up for a free dev account. The dev account doesn't cost any money. I have been able to switch easily between devkit mode and retail kit mode. I would love to support PS4 if Sony had a similar system in place.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 03 April 2016 - 04:25 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Hey, maybe if you continue with the Xbox stuff then the current owners of Duke Nukem 3D can sue you too instead of just me!

View PostTerminX, on 03 April 2016 - 06:29 PM, said:

Hey, maybe if you continue with the Xbox stuff then the current owners of Duke Nukem 3D can sue you too instead of just me!

I've just been getting caught up with TerminX's legal issues, and looks like things are getting bad. Legally I believe I'm ok to continue working on the port, I'm just modifying code that falls under GPL or Ken's Build license, both of which allow porting, and releasing those code modifications that just happen to work on the XB1. If Gearbox is trying to strong arm TerminX, they might be trying to throw wrench in any project Gearbox believes will hurt there bottom line.

This is sad to say the least. I plan on push forward on the UWP port. From this point on I do not plan on releasing binaries in any form. Legally I believe this puts me in a better place. This would mean all users will have to download Visual Studio Community Edition and compile the code, then deploy. I also plan on not releasing many updates on the project until I'm ready to release. I don't want to poke the bear more then I have too.

The above changes might change depending on the out come of TerminX's legal case, but for now please understand I don't want to get caught up in the madness :D.

For now I have decided against the above changes. I will provide binaries when it comes to release time.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 03 April 2016 - 09:21 PM

• Polymancer

In light of recent news on contributions to the HRP, I'd like to change my mind and vote with Steeevie for PBR if you can do it.

I'm alright with it, but id like to run some tests to test the performance on the XB1 before I give the all clear.

• Polymancer

Whatever you do use, can you make it so that what comes out of Substance, DDO, Marmoset and any other 21st century tools, actually looks like it should do in Duke?

View PostTea Monster, on 04 April 2016 - 11:03 AM, said:

Whatever you do use, can you make it so that what comes out of Substance, DDO, Marmoset and any other 21st century tools, actually looks like it should do in Duke?

You mean so we can actually do work :D, pick the tools you want to use for your pipeline and I'll support those. Don't pick two of the same type of tool, for example I won't support 3ds max and maya, pick either or.

• Polymancer

All the texturing tools are geared to different game engines or lighting systems. You make your stuff and then export for different engines. There are targets for Unreal 3, Unreal 4, Unity, etc. Which lighitng model you choose will determine that. I'm sure that some of us can supply assets to test.

As to modellers, Again, everyone nowadays uses FBX. Most apps can export that and there are plenty of tools that support it.

User is offline   Steveeeie 

FBX seconded.

User is offline   Hank 

View Posticecoldduke, on 04 April 2016 - 12:16 PM, said:

You mean so we can actually do work :D, pick the tools you want to use for your pipeline and I'll support those. Don't pick two of the same type of tool, for example I won't support 3ds max and maya, pick either or.

No sure, if I should respond or not. If the below makes no sense, flush it.
1. Let the software makers approach the EDuke32 team to peddle their programs, for full integration. Like Autodesk, Allegorithmic etc did with Unity 3D and Unreal.
2. All I need from the engine maker (EDuke32 Team) is is what asset types work with it. FBX, good, Collada good, md5 good. (well we have md3 sort of working)
3. Same with texturing. Simply spell out the shader specs, and I can add nodes in my software (Genetica) to make it work for PBR, photo realistic, or whatever lighting system is used.

This post has been edited by Hank: 04 April 2016 - 03:16 PM

User is offline   Steveeeie 

Why would they peddle their formats to eDuke, its not worth their time.

md5 is a dog, with terrible support. The reason I dont bother modeling for duke now is because i am sick of having to jump through hoops with md3s

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

I don't really see any other 3d format to compete with FBX. FBX as container can store bones, animation, meshes hierarchy (via dummy helpers) and even textures (which is not the case but anyway).

• Polymancer

MD5 is a pig to work with and there are no modern tools. Forget it.

View PostTea Monster, on 05 April 2016 - 01:57 AM, said:

MD5 is a pig to work with and there are no modern tools. Forget it.

MD5 will NOT be supported. FBX will be the supported file format.

User is offline   TON 

Icecoldduke are you using 32bit eduke32 or 64bit ?

This post has been edited by TON: 05 April 2016 - 08:54 AM

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options