Duke4.net Forums: Ghostbusters 2016 - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ghostbusters 2016

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

What are they trying to prove? I keep seeing this crap everywhere. "All female group gets into NASA" "Group made up of women gets to do this" "All-girl team does that". Of course they did. They're allowed to. It's socially acceptable. Everyone expects it. Why are you showing it off like it's some kind of big achievement like we live in the 20s or something? I don't understand it. We've passed the milestone. People still think it's some issue to overcome. I'm tired of all this nonsense. An all female Ghostbusters DIDN'T NEED THIS "girl power" nonsense. They're shooting themselves in the foot by drawing so much attention to it. It's gotta be to garner a certain response for some other separate gain. I can't think of any logical reason why THAT MANY PEOPLE would look to be so out of touch with reality.

The new Ghostbusters won't suck because it's got all women working on it, it will suck because they're making it a point to have all women working on it. Since when did something like Ghostbusters become the poster child for this anyway? Ghostbusters is well loved, but....I'm sure there are many other more notable and broader reaching IPs that could make more the "impact" they're expecting here than by using Ghostbusters. And it's not like they couldn't do it with anything else out there. Why Ghostbusters? It just sounds like they're cultivating all of this controversy intentionally. I remember hearing about an all-girl Ghostbusters movie a few years ago when the original cast was still going to be involved. Then I saw a clip where Bill Murray was on a talk show saying how he thinks an all-female Ghostbusters team would be a great idea...and I dismissed it then because I didn't really believe that it was possible to be something that anyone would care about....but I got the sense that the whole reason he was on the show and saying these things is because they thought that people MIGHT think there was something wrong with an all-girl Ghostbusters team and someone from the original team, Bill himself, needed to come on to make everybody feel ok about it. I was like "sure, if it's funny and they do a good job, it could work great." Now that I look back I can almost see the underhanded way they were trying to push the idea of a controversy until there was enough people talking about it to give it a negative connotation. Right down to news of oppression and harassment on set and it culminated with the release of a terrible trailer that was totally unfunny and totally generic in its jokes, presentation, and everything. And when people called them out on it they immediately pushed the misogynist alert button. It feels like gamergate all over again. They keep pushing the oppression mindset and aren't LETTING anybody get over it. They just want to accuse people of it.

Am I crazy? Am I really just a sexist pig that needs to check my privilege? Do I dream up conspiracies where there are none? I'm really getting sick of this coercion and I'm getting even sicker of people falling for it. GROW BRAINS. It's late, I'm tired. Rant over. Good night.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 March 2016 - 08:07 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 19 March 2016 - 07:39 PM, said:

Am I crazy?

No.

You are trying to rationalize the irrational. It *will* drive you crazy.

Think of "Last of Us" the video game... I don't know if you've played it but the gist is stereotypical infected humanity.

You are literally surrounded by an infection. Not a joke. Not DNA. Not a ha ha. Not a "it'll all be ok after 30 minutes and a word from our sponsor".

• The Sarien Encounter

I miss the days when we had the likes of Star Trek to give hope to humanity's future and what we can accomplish. Alas, we're so obsessed with our own darkness all we have is The Matrix, The Walking Dead, The Hunger Games, all stories about humanity's inherent unavoidable tendency to lean towards our own self-destruction. It's ironic that we're so adamant about proving that there is no objective standard of good or evil and yet we keep wanting to find things wrong with ourselves even if it doesn't exist. There's still gotta be something wrong so let's just make something up! And people are all for it. All the time any time.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Humanity is a virus, and the cure is to kill all women.

Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

Posted Image

The Mayor: What do you want me to do, go on television and tell 3 million people they have to be *nice* to each other? Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's god-given right. Your 2 minutes are up, good night gentlemen.

I have a feeling this wouldn't fly in the new reboot...

User is offline   Merlijn 

The more footage I see from this reboot, the more it looks like one hell of a colossal misfire..

Newest trailer features a rehash of Stay Puft and at the end a big ghost (I assume it's the main villian) gets shot in the balls by Mccarty.
No, I'm not making that up.

Seriously, wtf are they doing?

• The Sarien Encounter

I haven't even watched it but even the thumbnail looks awful.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Posted Image

Another thing to add to the ever growing list of crappy stuff: a female slimer.
I wanted to add a link, but the forum won't let me for some reason. So google at your own risk. :P

It kinda feels like beating a dead horse at this point, but.. I'm wondering if the marketing is bad on purpose?
After all, it's an garuanteed way to get a lot of free publicity.

In a weird way, I find this whole thing entertaining though. Probably more entertaining than the movie itself will be.

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 05 July 2016 - 08:50 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I believe it's an intentional experiment to see if they can market something bad and defend it under the guise of feminism to still make their sales. If they can, they've got another cash cow because people are too afraid to criticize it.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 July 2016 - 09:07 AM, said:

I believe it's an intentional experiment to see if they can market something bad and defend it under the guise of feminism to still make their sales. If they can, they've got another cash cow because people are too afraid to criticize it.

People tend to vote with there wallets, so while people might not talk shit outright about the movie; people just won't go see it.

• The Sarien Encounter

What bugs me is a lot of people criticizing on the movie are still saying "I'm still going to go watch it because I want to experience it." WHYYYY? DON'T.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 July 2016 - 09:33 AM, said:

What bugs me is a lot of people criticizing on the movie are still saying "I'm still going to go watch it because I want to experience it." WHYYYY? DON'T.

There are the hardcore fanboys; but they exist with any IP *looks around the room*; I doubt the fanboys will make up for the deficit of everyone else that can actually think and judge things for themselves. Personally I'm going to wait until its a $3 movie rental.

I'm simply not going to see it, unless reviews and word of mouth are absolutely amazing... somehow I doubt that's going to happen though. :P

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I don't see why people automatically hate it for it's own sake.

I've seen a version of Hamlet performed set in the era of World War I - so if the Bard can get rebooted, then so can freaking Ghostbusters. Just rebooting it with women instead of men isn't a reason on it's own to hate it. You can't be too precious about these things. Having said that, the version of Hamlet I saw starred Kenneth Branagh, so YMMV :P

I don't like it as every trailer I've seen looks atrocious, I hate the way they made the black woman a 1930's stereotype. That is why I don't want to see it.

If the reviews come in and it is revealed to be an amazing cinematic experience, then I'll happily go see it - but as Merlijn just said, I highly doubt that as well.

• The Sarien Encounter

I could care less if it's all women or not. It's not funny and they're lashing out against disappointed fans - their demographic - by assuming that they hate it because it's all women. So as far as I'm concerned, screw them. I was intrigued when I first heard about it. Alas....that trailer. BOTH trailers...

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 05 July 2016 - 07:17 PM

I believe I have seen more trailers that were better than the movies they represented, than not. So based on that logic, this movie would be very, very poor. I used to be attracted to Egon character a little, but even with that never did get into the movies that much. I have seen them, but they aren't extremely memorable to me.
I might watch some video of it and decide if I want to rent it on netflix.

CatNapDreams

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Just saw the third trailer. Why do they feel such a strong need to get so many plot points out before the movie is released? Honestly the only reason I can think of is that they know the movie will be a dud and they just want to sucker as many people in to see it early on before word of mouth spreads, i.e they know there's no point keeping the plot under wraps.

They've also released a clip of the final battle - it's all CGI and actors pretending to fight in front of a green screen. So even the action feels generic..
Movie is almost here, thank God. We'll soon know if the movie is truly as bad as the trailers and clips suggest.

Meanwhile, I added a little "nod" in my map. Couldn't resist... :P
Attached Image: Daisy Nukem.png

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 10 July 2016 - 12:11 AM

• Honored Donor

I've been doing a bit of reading and it seems that they have (had?) various other movies and projects in the works for the ghostbusters franchise, and a crossover not unlike what marvel's doing with their MCU. It's hilarious to think that the people behind the new movie are confident that it will be popular enough to base a new franchise. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this plays out. Chances are it'll all be scrapped, just like how the last two terminator movies were apparently each meant to be the start of new terminator trilogies independently.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMerlijn, on 10 July 2016 - 12:10 AM, said:

They've also released a clip of the final battle - it's all CGI and actors pretending to fight in front of a green screen.

Where have you been for the last decade? A supernatural/fantasy action movie with action scenes in front of green screen is shocking indeed.

^
that's my point though, I've seen it countless times before so it's not compelling anymore.
And I don't think a movie like Ghostbusters needs generic "kick-ass" action scenes, but maybe that's just me being old fashioned. :P

But here's the clip I was referring to, so judge for yourself.

User is offline   Kathy 

It's generic not just because of CGI/green screen, but because it's uninspired. That's my point.

And yeah, actors do pretend. By definition. :P

Fair enough. :P

I agree that the uninspired feel is the biggest problem.

• The Sarien Encounter

Not even going to watch the last trailer. I'll watch AngryJoe's reaction...maybe.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 10 July 2016 - 10:04 AM, said:

Not even going to watch the last trailer. I'll watch AngryJoe's reaction...maybe.

I'll save you the trouble
"YOU FUCKED UP IT UP. YOU GUYS REALLY FUCKED IT UP. *insert skit of Joe's friends here* I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GUYS FUCKED IT UP"

• Honored Donor

This guy has apparently seen it and offers some thoughts on the movie that we can all agree with:

Stuff like how the movie is suppose to bring women into leading roles in future Hollywood films such that it's pushing the feminist agenda while SIMULTANEOUSLY doing things like making the black woman a stereotypical loud minority. And how every single man in the film seems to be either a jerk or an idiot. IMO pushing the feminist agenda like this only works when it's done in a clever, sophisticated and respectful fashion, and that's not the case here.

Also what seems worse is that the chemistry between the 4 leads is nonexistent.

It sounds like everything that can go wrong for this movie has gone wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if this turns up as a textbook example of "how not to make and advertise a movie".

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't understand why they're trying to push for all female casts. What's wrong with just doing it and acting like it's no big deal? That's the most successful route to take (...you know, if your stuff is actually good, that is). Why do they always have to make a big deal about it like it's groundbreaking? It's already acceptable. Just do it! You don't have to prepare people. Again just don't make it suck.

I'm repeating myself. Shutting up.

User is offline   Engel220 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 10 July 2016 - 04:34 PM, said:

I don't understand why they're trying to push for all female casts. What's wrong with just doing it and acting like it's no big deal? That's the most successful route to take (...you know, if your stuff is actually good, that is). Why do they always have to make a big deal about it like it's groundbreaking? It's already acceptable. Just do it! You don't have to prepare people. Again just don't make it suck.

I'm repeating myself. Shutting up.

It's all about promoting a narrative. Paul Feig could've easily chosen an all female cast and said nothing more about it, but instead he made such a big song and dance about it to appeal to the progressive crowds (feminists in particular) and decried those who criticised his choice. This is a man who has said in the past that men aren't funny and that geek culture is full of assholes, after all.

http://www.hollywood...en-arent-449025 (Feig on why men "aren't funny")

This post has been edited by Engel220: 10 July 2016 - 05:24 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Jesus. At least watch the damn thing first. If you've seen it and then you suffer from basement-dweller apoplexy, then fine.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options