Duke4.net Forums: Doom Corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 157 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   Loke 

Early gameplay footage of Brutal Doom 64.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 17 March 2016 - 03:16 AM, said:

On the topic of Doom 2016 alpha, i'm shocked nobody has been pulling the models out of it yet for gmod or some shit. I'd actually like to get a closer look at the Doomguy armor.

I believe Beth has been sending lots of C&D notices regarding any information from that Doom alpha so I doubt you'd see it up online anywhere in public for very long.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostLoke, on 17 March 2016 - 03:40 AM, said:

https://www.youtube....h?v=Zfp00OZuXCc

Mmm, that's pretty tasty. Loving the little bits of detail like the flies on the gore and the lighting effects.

One thing i'd suggest to him is to give the beating heart a sound effect. Nothing too loud, but something.

View PostLunick, on 17 March 2016 - 03:53 AM, said:

I believe Beth has been sending lots of C&D notices regarding any information from that Doom alpha so I doubt you'd see it up online anywhere in public for very long.

I guess that makes sense.

User is offline   LkMax 

View Postxenoxols, on 16 March 2016 - 06:34 PM, said:

Posted Image
Better?

Yes.

View PostLoke, on 17 March 2016 - 03:40 AM, said:

Ah, beautiful, Brutal Doom before he adds all the annoying zombie noises and hyperactivity animations. But seriously, he managed to make Doom 64 even more atmospheric than it was originally with the fog and light effects.
On a side note, It will sound strange to some but for me BD would be miles better without the unrealistic excessive amount of bright red painting over the walls and floor every time one single monster is killed.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 17 March 2016 - 08:14 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View Postxenoxols, on 16 March 2016 - 06:34 PM, said:

Better?

That will totally ruin his pinky finger.

The blood looks totally out of place imo, it's way too bright and there's too much of it.
It clashes really badly with Doom 64's style

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I enjoy Brutal Doom, but I don't think it works well with Doom 64 judging by the video.
There's some neat additions and changes I like, but overall the gameplay of D64 was suppose to be slower to account for a 64 controller, and it felt right to me; making it faster kinda ruins it.

User is offline   Lunick 

The source of the Final Doom boxart has been found, an ammo box:
Posted Image

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Thought this was pretty cool though and its done great. I tried to see if it was maybe already posted here not much time to breeze through all posts to see. The links below :whistling:
Posted Image

http://sidharthchatu...Chaturvedi&qo=2

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostLunick, on 17 March 2016 - 03:53 AM, said:

You'd think by now these game companies would be aware of the Streisand effect.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostSixty Four, on 18 March 2016 - 08:09 AM, said:

Thought this was pretty cool though and its done great. I tried to see if it was maybe already posted here not much time to breeze through all posts to see. The links below :whistling:

http://sidharthchatu...Chaturvedi&qo=2

Posted Image

View PostLunick, on 18 March 2016 - 04:20 AM, said:

The source of the Final Doom boxart has been found, an ammo box:
Posted Image

Also worth noting, it's an ammo box that's a prop from the movie Event Horizon.

View PostInspector Lagomorf, on 18 March 2016 - 09:24 AM, said:

You'd think by now these game companies would be aware of the Streisand effect.

Maybe that's what they're going for...? Free publicity!

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 18 March 2016 - 11:36 AM, said:

Also worth noting, it's an ammo box that's a prop from the movie Event Horizon.

I can't remember where that was used in the movie.

User is offline   xenoxols 

Posted Image
Posted Image
I need to work on the magazine ejecting.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Keep in mind Broom-handle Mauser C96s like that do not have magazines that can be ejected. When loaded, there's a clip with a strip of bullets, which is pushed down into the gun. See: https://www.youtube....h?v=a5Tc_idfDp8 and https://www.youtube....h?v=MDHVK2WhKD4 (You can make the reload a lot quicker/smoother than this though, not all Mausers have so much resistance on each round.

Make the reload animation the player sticking on the stripper clip, pushing the bullets down, then flicking the gun to knock the clip off the top (if you want it to be stylish). Or, you can make the player quickly load individual rounds without a stripper clip.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 19 March 2016 - 08:20 AM

Another point of reference is the Broadsider from Bioshock Infinite (starts at 0:16)

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 19 March 2016 - 11:17 AM

User is offline   deuxsonic 

View PostHulkNukem, on 18 March 2016 - 04:44 PM, said:

I'm curious why id has been so tight-lipped about the new DOOM. Ever since that showing of game footage at QuakeCon under high security, the trailers focus almost entirely on multiplayer and are generally only about a minute long, very fast-paced quick snapshots of things so you really don't get a feel for things. The E3 playthrough and the alpha footage they released were the exceptions. It makes me wonder what they're trying to hide. Also, why have alpha and beta tests only open to a select few? Think of the releases of Q3Test. I'm sure that didn't take away interest from the final game. They've released very few screenshots as well. Maybe I'm used to games getting hyped to death, but usually when not much is being said or shown it's a harbinger of bad things.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I feel like they want to keep things a surprise.

I mean the alpha leak revealed all kinds of things like the spider mastermind actually being in the game, the cyberdemon having very advanced AI abilities, code for quake-style strafe jumping, a proper mod tool suite and other things that they never even hinted at.

Either that or bethesda is determining the marketing, i'd imagine stuff like mod tools not being talked about is because bethesda might stop them - as a while back ID said they wanted to provide more than snapmap, while someone from beth said the opposite, and the alpha leak confirmed ID wasn't just saying that they wanted tools to quell people.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 19 March 2016 - 02:37 PM

If you're a publisher though, you generally want to whip people into a frenzy for the sake of sales, so keeping things a secret seems to go against that. I also don't understand the modding stance. I realize the mods get exponentially more difficult as games become ever more advanced (why classic DOOM and Quake and Duke3D still have vibrant modding scenes) but since I know that the tools are built in, it doesn't make sense to say "there's SnapMap and that's it" when it requires pretty much no work to allow access to the editor. Rage didn't launch with a working editor but when a 64-bit version was released, it contained the editor.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 19 March 2016 - 04:14 PM

So maybe it's ID then. Honestly the alpha stuff got me more hyped but i can kinda see why as some of the stuff we found out would have been fucking awesome to discover while playing rather than just knowing about it.

As for the mod tools, idk it just seems like something a publisher would pull, given other cases.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

It's weird, as Beth are all up and ready for people to mod Skyrim, but Doom gets snapmap. Not sure what is going on there. May not be the publisher dictating that. I wonder if it has anything to do with their snazzy new engine and security fears (and I don't mean online cheating).

View PostTea Monster, on 19 March 2016 - 06:26 PM, said:

It's weird, as Beth are all up and ready for people to mod Skyrim, but Doom gets snapmap. Not sure what is going on there. May not be the publisher dictating that. I wonder if it has anything to do with their snazzy new engine and security fears (and I don't mean online cheating).

I really don't think it's a new engine the way it was when Carmack was still there. They are calling it id Tech 6, but John Carmack left id in 2013 before the hardware would have been powerful enough to do what he had planned for this. Lack of actual modding tools would be a slap in the face of their user base when you look at the history of id, their policy on making their games as moddable as possible, and releasing source code for previous engines.

Well they have former dudes from crytek working on the engine now. As far as mod tools, honestly you never know. Bethesda Game Studios are the exception because they are a major part of beth since forever and typically get a huge leash because Todd Howard rakes in $$$, but Bethesda the publisher has typically not been great towards their subsidiaries, the notorious ones being how much they fucked over Arkane and Human Head during development of their games.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 19 March 2016 - 08:46 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Slipgate is a polished Quake 1-themed 10-map episode. It's maybe too easy for its own good but features nice detailing, atmospheric levels, and appropriately opts for an ambient soundtrack instead of music.
Posted ImagePosted Image

User is offline   Malgon 

Posted Image
Saw this over at the Doomworld forums and thought it was worth posting here. The shot is from the Snapmap description at the Amazon page for the game.

View PostMalgon, on 21 March 2016 - 12:14 AM, said:

Posted Image
Saw this over at the Doomworld forums and thought it was worth posting here. The shot is from the Snapmap description at the Amazon page for the game.

Nice find. There's so little media for the game so every screenshot and video helps reveal a little more.

No standard deathmatch? Also, glad to see Kill Confirmed from Call of Duty being in DooM now.

But I bet the most fun one of all is gonna be Freeze Tag.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostPikaCommando, on 21 March 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

No standard deathmatch? Also, glad to see Kill Confirmed from Call of Duty being in DooM now.

But I bet the most fun one of all is gonna be Freeze Tag.

Free for all is there too, but not advertised. The leaked alpha has FFA as a selectable game mode if you install a patch.

Share this topic:

• 157 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options