Duke4.net Forums: Doom Corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 157 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I wish we had access to the Doom64 models (whichever ones were models that is) and could make a 3D wad with them; that marine looks pretty good, especially for mid-90s

User is offline   deuxsonic 

View PostHulkNukem, on 13 March 2016 - 10:00 AM, said:

I wish we had access to the Doom64 models (whichever ones were models that is) and could make a 3D wad with them; that marine looks pretty good, especially for mid-90s

That would be nice. Some of them were based on newer Gregor Punchatz sculptures (the same guy who did some of them for the original game.)

Posted Image

I think the Pinky Demon that Punchatz did here is a lot more intimidating-looking than the one in the new game.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is actually the model of the Cyberdemon he did for DOOM 64. Midway didn't use his design when doing them as 3D meshes:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 13 March 2016 - 11:08 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

At least you can say that it makes more sense that Doomguy can take a lot of hits. I mean look at your pic; the inventor of the armour intentionally left the entire middle exposed! Bit of a design flaw wouldn't you say? Posted Image

User is offline   Lunick 

Posted Image

View PostLunick, on 14 March 2016 - 05:05 PM, said:

Posted Image

I recognize Baratus and Parias from Hexen, Thi Barret from Rise of the Triad, B.J. Blazkowicz from Wolfenstein 3D, and the Doomguy, but who is the last one?

• Honored Donor

The art reminds me of Strife for some reason, but Strifeguy doesn't have a helmet AFAIK.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

It is, indeed, Strife Guy
http://www.spriters-...ts/14/15266.png

I've never actually seen his sprite before.

User is offline   Loke 

I will forever associate Strife guy with Mikko Sandt.

Chuck Jones did 3D meshes for the Duke 3D enemies. What happened to those? It's kind of a similar way of having done the art as DOOM 64.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

The enemies sprites were re-rendered in Total Meltdown, meaning the models were not lost. So Chuck Jones or Gearbox may have them.

• Honored Donor

View PostLoke, on 15 March 2016 - 06:37 AM, said:

I will forever associate Strife guy with Mikko Sandt.

I know right? Exactly what I was thinking.

Just don't go and play Marathon Infinity Posted Image

This post has been edited by Micky C: 15 March 2016 - 11:24 PM

User is offline   Fox 

View PostHulkNukem, on 13 March 2016 - 10:00 AM, said:

(whichever ones were models that is)
I believe it's the case for all enemies and weapons.

User is offline   Malgon 

Posted Image
https://sketchfab.co...3f8722b7e32df4e

Posted Image
https://sketchfab.co...bd213a62a028024

Just saw these and thought they looked pretty awesome. Check the links to rotate around the models and look at them in all their glory.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That reminds me of old-school VRML. Remember that?

User is offline   leilei 

Yes though I wouldn't say that. That'd be giving vrml way too much credit for what it could probably accomplish Roblox tier quality at best.

This post has been edited by leilei: 16 March 2016 - 08:18 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Yes, 3D rendering in a browser window has certainly come a long way.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

The developer provided the following descriptions of its multiplayer maps:
Excavation. A modest-sized UAC mining outpost. Watch out for the rock grinder!
Infernal. A mid-sized Hell map with both interior and exterior elements. Lots of platforms and chasms, along with teleporters.
Chasm. This massive map takes you deep below the polar ice caps of Mars. A great place to play Freeze Tag.
Disposal. This smaller map is the main waste processing facility for the UAC research and residential complexes. Unsurprisingly, it's full of radioactive slime.
Helix. This is where they experiment on demons and develop advanced weaponry. Which, naturally, makes it perfect for a quick round of Clan Arena.
Perdition. Disjointed and sadistic, this ancient arena is populated by the agonized moans of unfortunate souls who have suffered within its realm.
Sacrilegious. Set within a fracture of Hell, this map offers clear lines of sight. Move fast... or die faster.
Heatwave. An industrial UAC facility with glistening halls that will soon be slicked with human (and demon) blood.
Beneath. Before being beamed to Earth, the energies of Hell are harnessed in this symmetrical and cavernous location.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 16 March 2016 - 01:29 PM

User is offline   Loke 

Another Doom song remake by Andrew Hulshult.

User is offline   xenoxols 

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Some animations I did for my mod.

User is offline   Cage 

View Postxenoxols, on 16 March 2016 - 02:46 PM, said:

Posted Image

Firing a single action revolver must be tough with broken forearm bones.

I keep pestering you about not to because I'm a smartass making fun of you - it's just a glaring error that you continue to ignore.

It really ruines the good impression, since otherwise this is pretty good stuff!

This post has been edited by Cage: 16 March 2016 - 03:46 PM

It's not that I'm ignoring you, I've tried to improve it, but it never comes out right.

User is offline   Cage 

View Postxenoxols, on 16 March 2016 - 03:54 PM, said:

It's not that I'm ignoring you, I've tried to improve it, but it never comes out right.

You could ask to elaborate :woot:

The trouble is, that there is a bend a bit before the wrist - this bend is impossible, that's why it looks like the forearm bones are broken. Take a look:

Posted Image

With a bone structure like this, you can just think of the forearm area as a simple straight line at it's core - any curvature in it's shape comes from the muscles and it mostly happens in the upper area, closer to the elbow and arm/bicep. Forearms angle will be set at the elbow and the next point of the rotation is the wrist - which will rotate the whole hand.

When in doubt - copy from real life. :whistling: Bone and muscle structure reference can be easily found using even a simple google search, but don't forget about the best reference of all - your own arm which you can pose in any desired pose and take a look at it's 3d form from many angles.

Cheers!

View PostFox, on 15 March 2016 - 09:24 PM, said:

I believe it's the case for all enemies and weapons.

Yes. Punchatz did actual sculptures models for some of the monsters but they weren't digitized and then edited into sprites the way classic DOOM/II had done so. Midway used them as guides to make 3D meshes of many of them (the cyberdemon being one of the chief exceptions which I can kind of understand since Punchatz's sculpture deviates so much from the original menacing look of the monster.) All of the character/monster sprites have a corresponding 3D mesh, as do all of the weapons and I'm pretty sure item sprites as well. I'm not sure about other artwork in the game or environment sprites, but I would be surprised if many of them weren't also 3D meshes as well, like explosive barrels. A real or 3D object edited into a sprite generally produces a much more realistic-looking result than trying to draw the sprites completely by hand.

Which begs the question: for Heretic and Hexen, how did they get the sprites and artwork in those games so fantastic? Was Raven working off 3D meshes as well?

Chuck Jones did meshes for Shadow Warrior as well. I know the Duke Nukem 3D ones were sourced a second time for Total Meltdown giving them a somewhat different appearance (I'm not sure why the PC sprites weren't used.) With the age of these games it would be awesome to have them as part of the HRPs as they're the true source.

View PostCage, on 16 March 2016 - 03:44 PM, said:

Firing a single action revolver must be tough with broken forearm bones.

I keep pestering you about not to because I'm a smartass making fun of you - it's just a glaring error that you continue to ignore.

It really ruines the good impression, since otherwise this is pretty good stuff!

Congenital deformity?

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 16 March 2016 - 05:25 PM

Posted Image
Better?

• The Sarien Encounter

Lol didn't even bother trying? :whistling:

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 16 March 2016 - 12:17 PM, said:

I'm glad they're doing original maps for the base game as opposed to needing the help of popular maps from older games like Q2DM1: The Edge. I wouldn't mind their inclusion though.

User is offline   Fox 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 16 March 2016 - 05:17 PM, said:

Which begs the question: for Heretic and Hexen, how did they get the sprites and artwork in those games so fantastic? Was Raven working off 3D meshes as well?

I think so. The metallic surfaces are very 3D-ish.

View Postdeuxsonic, on 16 March 2016 - 05:17 PM, said:

I know the Duke Nukem 3D ones were sourced a second time for Total Meltdown giving them a somewhat different appearance (I'm not sure why the PC sprites weren't used.)

Dunno. Maybe it's because they were not limited to the game palette and wanted to take advantage of that. Maybe it's because the rendering technique they used is better, especially the lighting and metallic surfaces. Maybe it's because they created new enemies, and that's how they choose to keep some consistency with the old enemies.

This post has been edited by Fox: 17 March 2016 - 01:56 AM

• Honored Donor

Aren't the resolutions also lower than the PC ones? That could be a contributing factor.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

It's weird because, although some of them certainly look a little more dynamic with the different lighting and such, some of them look downright half-assed. Like the Duke player sprites just look awful and unoptimised.

On the topic of Doom 2016 alpha, i'm shocked nobody has been pulling the models out of it yet for gmod or some shit. I'd actually like to get a closer look at the Doomguy armor.

Share this topic:

• 157 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options