Duke4.net Forums: STRAFE - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

STRAFE

User is offline   Lunick 

I don't think they marketed it at all. I didn't see any sort of social media presence about it compared to Strafe.

This post has been edited by Lunick: 21 February 2015 - 02:19 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostJblade, on 21 February 2015 - 01:50 AM, said:

Well I was completely wrong about this not hitting it's target - too bad for Retroblazer though, but shit happens I guess. Maybe the psuedo-furry art style really did push people away, or they may not of just marketed it enough.

IIRC when most of us were thinking that, it was before they released that professional-looking commercial. The whole retro advertising campaign did good, but of course it was releasing the demo and creating a new tier that gives you the game for $15 that sealed the deal.
Still a bit surprising though.

I'm glad to hear that the levels aren't purely random; they seem to be made by hand, simply with random variations to add to replay value.

Makes you wonder what the RetroBlazer guys were thinking doing as little advertising as they did. Maybe they just weren't that dedicated to it (seems to be essentially a glorified wolfenstein 3D mod so no surprises there).

User is offline   Jblade 

Their kickstarter page actually details that they were going to make a Metroid kinda system where you can choose which zone to head to first, upgrade equipment and gear as well as new items to let you access stuff in other zones. It sounded cool.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I always love that kind of gameplay.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Move over Gears of War, Strafe's latest trailer features a haunting rendition of Smash Mouth.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

That was really strange.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Funny trailer, still can't get over the fact the levels are procedurally generated for a 'classic fps'

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostHulkNukem, on 19 February 2016 - 01:54 PM, said:

Funny trailer, still can't get over the fact the levels are procedurally generated for a 'classic fps'

Me either. It's impossible to reduce the level design and gameplay aspects of yesteryear to a simple algorithm that generates maps. A lot of projects that aim to create games inspired by the classics are really missing the mark, for a variety of reasons.

User is offline   Mark 

A whoppin 2 seconds of actual gameplay footage. This is the exact opposite of what I expect in a trailer.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostTerminX, on 19 February 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

Me either. It's impossible to reduce the level design and gameplay aspects of yesteryear to a simple algorithm that generates maps. A lot of projects that aim to create games inspired by the classics are really missing the mark, for a variety of reasons.

To be honest good level design has gone down hill for a really long time in FPS games. They're either completely lacking in any kind of combat that's not horizontal or they're just room-hallway-room-hallway-here's a nice skybox-room. I can't really think of the last game that had memorable levels rather than hallways with set pieces spread out.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostJblade, on 19 February 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

To be honest good level design has gone down hill for a really long time in FPS games. They're either completely lacking in any kind of combat that's not horizontal or they're just room-hallway-room-hallway-here's a nice skybox-room. I can't really think of the last game that had memorable levels rather than hallways with set pieces spread out.

Probably have to go all the way back to Quake 2 to find that.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 19 February 2016 - 11:24 PM, said:

Probably have to go all the way back to Quake 2 to find that.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein had good level design for the most part.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 19 February 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

Move over Gears of War, Strafe's latest trailer features a haunting rendition of Smash Mouth.

:dukeaffirmative: I am not quite sure I can look at that song the same way

View PostJblade, on 19 February 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

I always thought Bioshock was pretty similar to old school level design.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

I wouldn't say that. It's good compared to Infinity though, but it doesn't take much to be better than Infinity. Compare Bioshock maps to the same Doom. And what a boring game it is. I actually forced myself to play it and couldn't even finish. Somehow I forced myself to finish the second one though, a big surprise. That's how you insult System Shock, by the way.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostHulkNukem, on 20 February 2016 - 06:49 AM, said:

I always thought Bioshock was pretty similar to old school level design.

Bioshock levels where pretty good indeed. Infinity though, I just try to forget this abomination, nothing in this game can be saved except maybe the visual design.

I said from the very first time I saw these idiots posting to their tumblr that this game looked like complete ass, and everyone was all mezmerized by the stupid ad thing they made. Surprise surprise everyone's saying it looks like trash now, after the edgy 90s ad glow wore off and they gave them the money for their kickstarter.

This post has been edited by Carl Winslow: 20 February 2016 - 02:55 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

The video has gotten a lot of views though for a niche Indie FPS game. Others would be jealous of that. I think the game will sell well enough.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostCarl Winslow, on 20 February 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

I said from the very first time I saw these idiots posting to their tumblr that this game looked like complete ass, and everyone was all mezmerized by the stupid ad thing they made. Surprise surprise everyone's saying it looks like trash now, after the edgy 90s ad glow wore off and they gave them the money for their kickstarter.

Come on. "I told you so" is not a particularly flattering approach for you.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 20 February 2016 - 03:21 PM, said:

Come on. "I told you so" is not a particularly flattering approach for you.

They still have your money, you can't get it back if you put it into that kickstarter!

View PostLunick, on 20 February 2016 - 03:17 PM, said:

The video has gotten a lot of views though for a niche Indie FPS game. Others would be jealous of that. I think the game will sell well enough.

Yep. Strafe's already a success. :dukeaffirmative:

Both the ads for Strafe have been super successful. They were a no-name team that ran a successful Kickstarter as that particular method of funding was drying up for everything besides niche, low-scope indie projects and huge spiritual successors to well-known series by the original creators. 100% of people who don't know about your game, won't buy it.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Whoever's behind their marketing campaign is a genius.

I just hope the game surprises me and lives up to the marketing. They've sure been showing just the one enemy and same level environment for a long while now.

Strafe will be published by Devolver Digital. Releasing early 2017.

User is offline   Lunick 

...2017? Get out of here

This game was announced around a year ago and they still keep showing off the same single enemy and level.
Also 2017 is good for me, it means my FPS will come out first :whistling:

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 03 March 2016 - 03:50 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostHulkNukem, on 03 March 2016 - 03:49 PM, said:

Also 2017 is good for me, it means my FPS will come out first :whistling:

Pics

Also, the game has a store page now http://store.steampo....com/app/442780

Very very soon, promise.
ALL the art was redone, including textures and models. Its why I haven't posted anything about it in a while.

User is offline   leilei 

hopefully by 2017 the "retro old school fps fan"'s balls will drop and move on from the halfassed revisionist novelty it's solely selling on.

This post has been edited by leilei: 04 March 2016 - 03:48 PM

View Postleilei, on 04 March 2016 - 03:39 PM, said:

hopefully by 2017 the "retro old school fps fan"'s balls will drop and move on from the halfassed revisionist novelty it's solely selling on.

The problem is 90% of them only go after one factor, and its typically the graphics.
This game's marketing has the heart in the right place, but this procedurally generated... generation is getting ruined because too many games rely on it.
Levels are better handcrafted for an FPS. Sure the levels are the same everytime you play, and the bad levels will always be the bad levels, but the good levels can be so good they trump the bad, and they become memorable and fun no matter how many times you replay them because they are balanced. Procedural levels always have a random factor you can't account for, and while that can be fun in and of itself, its more fun to beat a challenge another human made instead of a calculator.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options