• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

PolymerNG will use Vulkan and D3D12

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

He's not referring to content made for polymer per se. He meant that polymer had certain limitations and bugs that rendered things incorrectly when compared to both classic and polymost. I've mentioned the multiple skyboxes in one map before:

View PostMicky C, on 13 December 2015 - 11:40 PM, said:

...I'm hoping that it'll include support for multiple paralaxed skies in a map after all this time Posted Image (and by extension the showview command if I'm remembering it correctly). The lack of the latter has broken many features in mods.

View PostMicky C, on 27 December 2015 - 09:35 PM, said:

He's not referring to content made for polymer per se. He meant that polymer had certain limitations and bugs that rendered things incorrectly when compared to both classic and polymost. I've mentioned the multiple skyboxes in one map before:

I don't see a reason why we can't support multiple skyboxes in one map(as long as they both aren't in view at the same time), but we'll have to deal with these issues on a case by case basis.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Polymer not supporting multiple skyboxes is absolutely a bug that should be eradicated. Plagman knows exactly what the issue is, and fixing it would also fix showview.

View PostHendricks266, on 27 December 2015 - 10:09 PM, said:

Polymer not supporting multiple skyboxes is absolutely a bug that should be eradicated. Plagman knows exactly what the issue is, and fixing it would also fix showview.

I haven't looked into the issue at all yet. Polymer's build content to 3d code is pretty nice and easy to understand, which is why I'm using it in PolymerNG(just with all the OpenGL stuff ripped out). I'm sure we'll have to deal with Polymer specific issues in PolymerNG, but I don't know the extent of those bugs yet, I'll ask Plagman if he can pass along the info to me.

Since Polymer used the tessellation code in the GLU library(libtess), I took the libtess code from Mesa's GLU code and included it in the build project(the license is compatible). I did that so the code is more portable.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 27 December 2015 - 10:35 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View Posticecoldduke, on 27 December 2015 - 09:41 PM, said:

(as long as they both aren't in view at the same time)

The original game can display any number of skies simultaneously.

View PostMblackwell, on 27 December 2015 - 11:47 PM, said:

What would be your use case?

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 28 December 2015 - 04:50 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Posticecoldduke, on 28 December 2015 - 04:50 AM, said:

What would be your use case?

Let's say you are in a house on a mountain top. If you look out the windows to the north you city a city scape, while to the east you see ocean, mountains to the south and desert to the west. By facing the corners of the room you could see two skyboxes at a time.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 28 December 2015 - 10:36 AM, said:

Let's say you are in a house on a mountain top. If you look out the windows to the north you city a city scape, while to the east you see ocean, mountains to the south and desert to the west. By facing the corners of the room you could see two skyboxes at a time.

Maybe I'm failing to understand the issue, but couldn't you do that with one skybox?

User is offline   Kyanos 

View Posticecoldduke, on 30 December 2015 - 11:48 AM, said:

Maybe I'm failing to understand the issue, but couldn't you do that with one skybox?

Not necessarily. Lets say a classic usermap did this with builds normal parallax sky, shouldn't your renderer be backwards compatible to draw multiple skies just like regular old Duke3D? I think one of the Red maps did this IIRC.

User is offline   Kyanos 

And about Dans original example, what if instead of windows on the mtn top building, they were big open doors. The player could walk through any one of four doors into a completely different world... Anythings possible in build.

This post has been edited by Drek: 30 December 2015 - 12:40 PM

User is offline   Mark 

At first I thought the same thing. Make a custom skybox that will show different terrain depending on which direction you will look out the window or whatever. But then I realized that if your view out one of the windows is wide enough you will see bleedover from another side of the skybox. So I can see why in limited circumstances multiple skyboxes would be handy. Personally, I don't think I need it but maybe I'm not creative enough for the use of it.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 30 December 2015 - 01:06 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Classic maps/usermaps use multiple parallax skies. My use case is not breaking two decades of content and reducing engine functionality. The fact that it's not possible in Polymer is a bug.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMblackwell, on 27 December 2015 - 11:47 PM, said:

Yes, but it's a understandable limitation of a 3D rendering engine. It's a priority to make it at least display different skies not simultaneously to support the original levels.

• Honored Donor

IIRC Plagman said it was just a matter of making the renderer do an additional rendering pass do show the additional skies.

However let's not forget that the showview con command also needs to work correctly in polymerNG. The fix will kill two birds with one stone.

View PostMicky C, on 30 December 2015 - 02:17 PM, said:

IIRC Plagman said it was just a matter of making the renderer do an additional rendering pass do show the additional skies.

However let's not forget that the showview con command also needs to work correctly in polymerNG. The fix will kill two birds with one stone.

Yeah it shouldn't be a complicated fix, but I will have to assign it a low priority for right now.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

It's the opposite: right now Polymer does an additional rendering pass, drawing a sky box / sky cylinder for whatever sky it thinks needs to be displayed (really the first parallax ceiling it ever finds in the map), and then renders the map on top of that, leaving holes in place of any parallaxed ceilings and floors. What it needs to do instead is to render parallaxed ceilings and floors using their real floor/ceiling data as part of the regular map pass (what classic and Polymost do), with a parallaxed / skybox material instead, and only leave holes in the map for things that are really holes, eg. what people do with showview portals right now. The early sky pass is what obscures the showview pass, as it always covers the whole screen.

View PostPlagman, on 02 January 2016 - 01:30 PM, said:

It's the opposite: right now Polymer does an additional rendering pass, drawing a sky box / sky cylinder for whatever sky it thinks needs to be displayed (really the first parallax ceiling it ever finds in the map), and then renders the map on top of that, leaving holes in place of any parallaxed ceilings and floors. What it needs to do instead is to render parallaxed ceilings and floors using their real floor/ceiling data as part of the regular map pass (what classic and Polymost do), with a parallaxed / skybox material instead, and only leave holes in the map for things that are really holes, eg. what people do with showview portals right now. The early sky pass is what obscures the showview pass, as it always covers the whole screen.

That sounds what I would have done for skies, just render the skybox first, and the level geo after without the parallax floor/ceiling. I'm going to assign the bug as P3(aka low priority) right now.

User is offline   Kyanos 

leaving holes in place of any parallaxed ceilings and floors

This here is more the issue on my end than multiple skies. A lot of sector geometry from outside the current players area leaks through these holes, in Polymer you can see things from adjacent sectors above a sky, things that do not get rendered in classic or polymost.

User is offline   Mark 

That is why Decay uses version 5293 from July. Anything after that was occasionally "leaking". Its a known thing. Although now that I think about it I have run into it before. But it might have been due to my mapping errors. Don't know for sure.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 03 January 2016 - 08:45 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

This is a good example of what I mean.

Attached Image: polymer_test.png

>map: Attached File  polymer_test.zip (728bytes)
Number of downloads: 148

View PostMark., on 03 January 2016 - 08:42 AM, said:

That is why Decay uses version 5293 from July. Anything after that was occasionally "leaking". Its a known thing. Although now that I think about it I have run into it before. But it might have been due to my mapping errors. Don't know for sure.

That revision is much better, thanks for the link. It's still not perfect, it's showing only one error in my test map.
Attached Image: duke0021.png

This post has been edited by Drek: 03 January 2016 - 10:11 AM

View PostDrek, on 03 January 2016 - 09:28 AM, said:

This is a good example of what I mean.

Attachment polymer_test.png

>map: Attachment polymer_test.zip

That revision is much better, thanks for the link. It's still not perfect, it's showing only one error in my test map.
Attachment duke0021.png

When I get a chance I'll create a bug for it and include all the info you provided.

Can someone make a list of all the wierd Polymer bugs they would LIKE to see POSSIBLY fixed in PolymerNG?

User is offline   Mark 

first one that comes to mind is the SE49 point lights will bleed through walls into adjacent sectors

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

How hard-coded lights like switches and fire shine through meshes.

That weird 'noisey' quality that polymer models seem to have. It's impossible to get stuff to look crisp and clear.

User is offline   Mark 

Not sure if its considered a bug or not. A 2D sprite will be lit by a Polymer light on one side but if you rotate the sprite 180 degrees it does not light up.

• Honored Donor

Actors (or at least the player) case a shadow as though the sprite is one-sided and wall-aligned. I.e if you're in front of the light it looks fine, but if you're standing to the left or right of the source you approach a 1D (or no shadow), and the shadow disappears if you're standing anywhere behind the source of the light. I don't know how the directions are taken into account, i.e whether it's global or light-specific.

User is offline   Steveeeie 

Attached Image: 59460734.jpg

A couple people have messaged me asking me what's going on, I'm out for the next couple of weeks due to a RL issue, I'll be back in full swing end of this month.

User is offline   supergoofy 

NVIDIA Vulkan Driver Support (Driver 356.39 Beta)
https://developer.nv...m/vulkan-driver

I haven't tested it, because I have older GPU :dukeaffirmative:

[edit]

AMD Radeon Software Beta for Vulkan Version 16.15.1009
http://support.amd.c...ulkan-Beta.aspx

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 17 February 2016 - 07:58 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Ah, mine's too old too. Too bad.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options