Duke4.net Forums: Bombshell - Duke4.net Forums

• 53 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bombshell

User is offline   Jblade 

I don't think it's fair to level the claim of negative bias against all the critics of this game when you could say the same thing to people here who have a vested interest in 3DR who are saying it's worth at least a 7.

User is offline   Steve 64 

View PostHank, on 29 January 2016 - 04:19 PM, said:

Hear hear, I played for only one hour, suck with the controls, so I actually need more practice to 'win' on a PC, damn I getting old Posted Image

Meanwhile, I love the soundtrack, it rocks .

Im sure im going to do bad at the start of bombshell pro ply going to get killed or something usually happens to me when I play a game for the first time well i'm sure I get better at the game just takes practice learning the weapons and enemie movement.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

My Steam Controller bindings (sorry I forgot to name a couple things, but it's based off the game's default controls):
Posted Image
Spoiler

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Jesus! After briefly appearing around the 90 mark in the top sellers on Steam, Bombshell has dropped to 302 just a few hours after launch. I have a feeling this might be a Raven's Cry situation where the game gets pulled and re-released later. Outside its spot on the new releases tab, 3DR didn't even bother to have a spot on the front page. Baffling. I know of games that have felt like stealth releases that managed to stick around in the top 20-40 for the first couple of days.

Surprise, surprise. The IGN reviewer didn't even like the game! The ridiculous 7-9 scale strikes again.

There are games I've been handed for review that were legitimately a chore to even get through. Bombshell was just not even in that league. Again, not sure why I'm taking so much time to defend a mediocre, forgettable shooter. I've never had a score hit this far outside consensus

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Obviously they did not pay the reviewers enough.

Oh whoops, I'm sorry, are we to never speak of the Kane & Lynch incident here?

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 29 January 2016 - 05:59 PM, said:

3DR didn't even bother to have a spot on the front page

It's in the carousel.

Posted Image

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMblackwell, on 29 January 2016 - 05:30 PM, said:

My Steam Controller bindings (sorry I forgot to name a couple things, but it's based off the game's default controls):

Is that the way to play this? I use mouse and keyboard, but it feels sluggish, would a game pad help? If yes how?

@ Mr. Tibbs - Looks like Deja vous all over again. But this time around, I refuse to even read critcs. - I'll play my old age and language card: Don't do kwohn englash and cain't reed wid mah old eyes Posted Image

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostMarphy Black, on 29 January 2016 - 06:14 PM, said:

It's in the carousel.

Weird, it isn't there for me. Is it a region thing?

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 29 January 2016 - 05:59 PM, said:

...where the game gets pulled...

I wouldn't be surprised if that happened anyway with the game retaining lots of Duke elements. I would say Gearbox still has a strong case to take further legal action against the game if they wanted to, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. Then again, it's not selling too well, so maybe they won't care enough to do so.

Edit: And I'm not trying to be negative. I was hoping for the best for 3D Realms and this game, but I kind of saw this coming. I wasn't expecting the game to get a bashing this hard, though.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 29 January 2016 - 08:11 PM

There are 15 slots in the carousel, but there are actually more than 15 products being featured on it. A random selection of those 15+ (apart from some fixed ones) is selected every time. Keep refreshing the Steam frontpage and you'll eventually see Bombshell in the lineup.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

So sounds like some of the bigger complaints are generic alien environments and relatively linear paths?

Sounds a bit like an anti-Duke 3D, which by comparison had relatable real-life locations and non-linear progression.

• Evil Overlord

View PostHank, on 29 January 2016 - 06:18 PM, said:

Is that the way to play this? I use mouse and keyboard, but it feels sluggish, would a game pad help? If yes how?

@ Mr. Tibbs - Looks like Deja vous all over again. But this time around, I refuse to even read critcs. - I'll play my old age and language card: Don't do kwohn englash and cain't reed wid mah old eyes Posted Image

Yeah a pad helps the game feel a bit more slick, at least the Steam Controller. I couldn't vouch for anything else. KBAM is a bit more accurate, but it feels better to move and shoot with a pad.

View PostMicky C, on 29 January 2016 - 06:52 PM, said:

So sounds like some of the bigger complaints are generic alien environments and relatively linear paths?

Sounds a bit like an anti-Duke 3D, which by comparison had relatable real-life locations and non-linear progression.

Naw, it has tons of exploration. In fact it might have a bit too much since it's not generally necessary for completing a level, just finding extra ammo and money and the paths are bit long.

User is offline   Player Lin 

I can't get this game yet, because no price on my region(Taiwan)...
It was showed on search result, but not at actual store page, only the deluxe edition upgrade pack.

I know I can got a copy from GoG, but I would prefer Steam one... :\

User is offline   Malgon 

Ouch. I didn't expect the game to review so poorly. Surely it isn't that bad? :dukeaffirmative:

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Sounds like Interceptor should have hired some professional writers for the story like Croteam did for the Talos Principle and Serious Sam 4. Wouldn't fix the gameplay but it'd give the reviewers one less thing to cry about.

View PostTerminX, on 29 January 2016 - 01:45 PM, said:

IMO these reviews are fucked, but I'll save the conspiracy theories for another time.

It's not a bad game! 7/10. It has obvious bugs and some of the dialog is pretty bad, but giving it 2/10 is ridiculous.

Can you Tell me your theories in a private chat? :dukeaffirmative:

User is offline   Jenz/Amaka 

View PostMalgon, on 29 January 2016 - 10:29 PM, said:

Ouch. I didn't expect the game to review so poorly. Surely it isn't that bad? :dukeaffirmative:

It's not. Far from it.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Not sure why would anyone trust American reviewers who are mostly sick and incompetent idiots. Though I'm a bit surprised that they hate Interceptor even more than Nintendo (not even Devil's Third situation was that bad as far as I remember, for example).

Good to know that the game is pretty polished. Time to give it a try. Hopefully it's better than Hatred.

View PostMblackwell, on 29 January 2016 - 08:24 PM, said:

Yeah a pad helps the game feel a bit more slick, at least the Steam Controller. I couldn't vouch for anything else. KBAM is a bit more accurate, but it feels better to move and shoot with a pad.

This is kinda strange for a top-down shooter, it have to be visa versa. You have to try hard to ruin M+K control in top-down shooter I think.

User is offline   Jblade 

Though I'm a bit surprised that they hate Interceptor even more than Nintendo (not even Devil's Third situation was that bad as far as I remember, for example).

Maybe the game is trash and there's no grand conspiracy against Interceptor?

View PostJblade, on 30 January 2016 - 03:42 AM, said:

Maybe the game is trash and there's no grand conspiracy against Interceptor?

Well, a lot of AAA games are trash, yet they give them very positive reviews. I'm not saying that the game is great or even good, because to rate it I need to play it to find out (actually I wonder what people who like top-down shooters think about the game). However, it was funny to know that there is someone whom they hate more than Nintendo. Not only that, journalists seems to be in love with Western indie developers.

User is offline   Jblade 

I think it's disengenous to claim they rated the game poorly because of some hatred of Interceptor and not because it's not a very good game. It's easier to play the victim than it is to admit that maybe the product you pushed out isn't that great. I still have hope for the BUILD game though, I hope the guys working on it don't get screwed over in case Bombshell doesn't recover from the initial reception.

I think it depends. Sometimes you can make a trash game and journalists will attack or will love your trash game. It's not a secret that they usually in love with indie trash games, they rate them high as possible. Besides, for now guys are silent and they don't play a victim card.

I think prequel will be fine. If anything, more chances they won't bring top-down Bombshell on consoles if it's failure. I won't be surprised if the game going to fail because they didn't market it right (they marketed it like RPG, right?). Not to mention that top-down shooters are niche genre and yet they screwed things even more by making the game resource intensive.

Hope they have good level designers for that prequel, then it will perform better even if journalists will hate it. At least they can't put nVidia Gameworks in prequel so it won't be another resource intensive game, can they?

This post has been edited by Takehiko: 30 January 2016 - 04:38 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostJblade, on 30 January 2016 - 04:15 AM, said:

I think it's disengenous to claim they rated the game poorly because of some hatred of Interceptor and not because it's not a very good game.

Regardless of the game (saying this applies anywhere), you can't go around praising a game's presentation (visuals, sound/music), claim it's fun to dick around in but say the voice acting is terrible for some characters and you encountered a few bugs and rate it 2/10. I've never heard of, or seen this kind of thing happen ever before in the industry.

User is offline   Jblade 

That's not what the reviews I read say, it's more detailed than that ('few bugs' have all been showstoppers and hard lockers) That's a really dramatic way to look at this anyway, but considering half of the guys here are either working for or close to Interceptor there's plenty of bias FOR the game here as well.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 30 January 2016 - 06:19 AM

Okay, played it for 1 hour or slightly more. In no way the game is 2/10 which is obvious anyway, I mean we're talking about journalists after all. I'd rate it 6/10 maximum, mostly because I didn't expect Diablo clone (why would anyone expect it to be something other than simple top-down shooter with RPG elements?). People have to compare it to Crimsonland and Alien Shooter games (which has RPG elements as well) or other top-down shooters.

Gameplay is the main thing I didn't like, it's quite boring. The game is pretty slow, slower than other top-down shooters and it needs more weapons, guro, blood and violence (Crimsonland is pretty good at this). Control is kinda strange too, had no problem with other top-down shooters, I wonder even if the guys played top-down shooters before making their game. Execution animations aren't that great either and pretty repetitive (just like in Hatred). Though I liked abilities and open environment, wish level design was a bit better on the other hand (guess mods will fix it, but developers seriously have to hire good level designers). Oh and of course, the game has good graphics and pretty nice sound. As for plot and the character herself, kind of forgettable and it was expected honestly, it's not like top-down shooters tend to have deep plot and memorable characters. Would recommend to people who likes top-down shooters and replayed every good one to death, otherwise there are better alternatives. If they made gameplay and level design better, easily would be 9/10, even without Duke Nukem himself.

At least Bombshell made me install Shadowgrounds. Hopefully Crimsonland developers won't disappoint with their Neon Chrome game and hopefully Interceptor won't disappoint with their prequel.

This post has been edited by Takehiko: 30 January 2016 - 07:39 AM

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostDaedolon, on 30 January 2016 - 06:01 AM, said:

Regardless of the game (saying this applies anywhere), you can't go around praising a game's presentation (visuals, sound/music), claim it's fun to dick around in but say the voice acting is terrible for some characters and you encountered a few bugs and rate it 2/10. I've never heard of, or seen this kind of thing happen ever before in the industry.

If that were the case, Symphony Of The Night would be heralded as the worst Castlevania game of all time.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Exactly my point.

User is offline   Ronin 

I'm surprised that there's lots of complaints about bugs, I thought they would have learned their lesson after RoTT. I was hoping it would be great so someone could mod Duke into it.

It will be interesting to see the fallout of the brutal hammering it's getting. This is dire for both 3DR and Interceptor, negative opinion like this spreads like a meme tarnishing any goodwill or trust people have for both companies.

They may never get back up of the floor after this.

• Evil Overlord

The game is mediocre, not broken. It's not the best game in the world but certainly not the worst, and if you see the version in review footage it doesn't match what's currently out, which includes fixes for what testers and even reviewers reported. I'm not sure how much more patching and tweaks are planned though. Playing the game I can't help but think that with a few adjustments a lot could be improved. In its current state there's still fun to be had, although whether it's worth the current price is up to you. You should probably check one of the streams currently ongoing before you make a judgment though, and with steam refunds you could probably buy it and try for yourself.

Crapping on a game because a reviewer told you to is like buying every CoD or Assassins Creed or other annual cash in because reviews are always positive.

• Glory To Motherland!

The point is, when you bear the burden of restarting a franchise (because let's face it, Bombshell is in and of itself a restart of Duke style gaming) or proving your worth as a new game developer, you can't settle for mediocrity. It's unfortunate but that's the standard that has been set with this new era of indie gaming.

Share this topic:

• 53 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options