Duke4.net Forums: Gearbox searches developer to help with new Duke Nukem game - Duke4.net Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gearbox searches developer to help with new Duke Nukem game

The lesson of this topic, get Levelord on the next Duke game Gearbox. C'mon do it.

User is offline   X-Vector 

Not gonna happen.

That game has some cool soothing music, that's something. And design wise, hell, maybe it's awesome, I dunno. What do I know. :)

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostX-Vector, on 07 October 2015 - 12:14 AM, said:

In the immortal words of Mike Stoklasa "WHAT THE FUCK!?"

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 07 October 2015 - 01:20 AM

User is offline   X-Vector 

It's a bit tricky to find out what he's currently up to, as the Let It Rain website has been parked for years and www.levelord.com throws up a "server not found" message at the moment.

This is the original heads-up from LIR's "The Studio" page, BTW:

Well, ...it's not so much a "studio" as me sitting here at home doing what I love best - making games!

After 10+ years of working on megabuck titles, with large teams, long schedules, and ever-expanding technology, ...I decided to take a sabbatical of sorts and spend time at home with my garden, the birds and squirrels, and my computer.

It's been 10 months and already there is a game to ship! I hope, ...I mean, "we" hope to have a few titles done each year, under various popular genres of casual gaming. Nothing fancy, nothing groundbreaking, ...just simple-but-fun games for all to enjoy.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Thats like Steven Spielberg 'Taking some time off' to make YouTube vids on how to change the drive belt in your washing machine.

WTF?

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah, just another great name from the 90's now making shovelware.

Another one. There are many.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMetHy, on 07 October 2015 - 05:03 AM, said:

:)

How dare you imply George Broussard participating in 90 minute game contests is shovelware.

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 06 October 2015 - 02:29 PM, said:

The lesson of this topic, get Levelord on the next Duke game Gearbox. C'mon do it.

It is almost impossible to own and establish a personal vision for a level in a shooter the way you could in the 90's.

I don't think he'd make much money at it, but the best bet for getting the sort of content you would want from him would be if he took an existing game and sold/released personally created map packs.

This post has been edited by Wieder: 07 October 2015 - 07:23 AM

User is offline   KareBear 

View PostX-Vector, on 07 October 2015 - 01:22 AM, said:

It's a bit tricky to find out what he's currently up to, as the Let It Rain website has been parked for years and www.levelord.com throws up a "server not found" message at the moment.

http://www.shacknews...d-levelord-gray

Hes been retired for years.

User is offline   Player Lin 

Retired, so that's normal I guess. :)

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

That was the gayest thing I have ever seen.

View PostMetHy, on 07 October 2015 - 05:03 AM, said:

Meant to upvote, sorry. #laptoptouchpads

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 10 October 2015 - 11:48 PM

FTFY PoC.

Seems that shacknews series didn't last long.

This post has been edited by Wieder: 11 October 2015 - 11:25 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostKareBear, on 08 October 2015 - 03:41 AM, said:

http://www.shacknews...d-levelord-gray

Hes been retired for years.

I know what Tom Hall has been up to lately:

Posted Image

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Was he auditioning for a part in RAGE?

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

....aaand that's more than enough internet for the day.

User is offline   MetHy 

Back about Sin, I had taken a break from it, played Unreal and expansion for the first time ever (which was great really, although the expansion had its moments of bad as well).

So now I'm resuming my Sin's playthrough. I just went through the underground labs and the mansion. Honestly Sin has tons of cool stuff, cool level design, interactivity, etc but the game is so broken it's a pain.
Those goddamn snipers are back. Most enemies feel unfinished, glitchy, with their bad hit detection and movement. I keep getting stuck in decor and taken damage from doors or lockers, I just experienced a glitchy objective, etc it's all a pain. Half of the weapons don't feel particulary good. It could have been a good game because of all the good stuff, but it's just painful and for me the bad overlooks the good.
Looks like I may be nearing the end so I'll probably finish the game anyway.

Edit: yep, just beat the game. You know, overall I enjoyed it, but I think it's a shame, it's one of those games that could have been great but isn't because it feels unfinished.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 18 October 2015 - 01:53 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostMetHy, on 18 October 2015 - 01:21 AM, said:

Edit: yep, just beat the game. You know, overall I enjoyed it, but I think it's a shame, it's one of those games that could have been great but isn't because it feels unfinished.

It was even worse about their remaining 8 games of 9 episodic of Source engine project never appeared anymore after the SiN EP1 released. :)

Yeah, I know Gordon Freeman version of Blade was disappointed some fans but it still fun for me... :)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 20 October 2015 - 07:13 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah I'm replaying Sin Emergence and I'm having more fun than with the original game honeslty, although gameplay is kinda limited and the game is definitely not as "innovative" as the original was.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

SiN Episodes is one of my favourite shooters ever. Amazing game. Best Source Engine game alongside VTM Bloodlines and Dark Messiah, too.

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah I'm having TONS of fun. I guess I must have cramped up that difficulty bar when starting the game 'cause enemies keep coming and coming sometimes! Too bad it's so short...

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Honestly I think the length works in it's favor. Much in the same way that the shortness of the episodes in classic FPS works in their favor. It feels like you're playing shareware.

My only gripe with SIN Episodes is the lake of Blade spouting one liners when you blow enemies away. Even if all they did was recycle his lines from the previous game, that would have been something.

User is offline   Gambini 

headshots and jetpackers deaths (when you shoot the tank) were awesome in sin episodes.

It´s a shame they wanted to rely on the innovative ally girl system of hl2, and the story with that port merchant dude was random. I remember first time i played it i got stuck in two very annoying bugs. One was the guy with the braid in the chin becoming mute in the middle of his speech and the other was when you have to exit the car, enemies kept throwing grenades inside of the car and i couldnt get out to fight.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I really liked the level design and art of Emergence, more than the Half-Life games. For the most part anyway.
I wish more episodes were made, even if its outdated at this point. The theme song was great, the weapons even though generic had cool secondary fires, and overall I think it could've gone in some good directions.
I also reinstall it and play the arena mode every now and again; Vertigo is such an awesome map.

View PostMetHy, on 18 October 2015 - 01:21 AM, said:

Back about Sin, I had taken a break from it, played Unreal and expansion for the first time ever (which was great really, although the expansion had its moments of bad as well).

So now I'm resuming my Sin's playthrough. I just went through the underground labs and the mansion. Honestly Sin has tons of cool stuff, cool level design, interactivity, etc but the game is so broken it's a pain.
Those goddamn snipers are back. Most enemies feel unfinished, glitchy, with their bad hit detection and movement. I keep getting stuck in decor and taken damage from doors or lockers, I just experienced a glitchy objective, etc it's all a pain. Half of the weapons don't feel particulary good. It could have been a good game because of all the good stuff, but it's just painful and for me the bad overlooks the good.
Looks like I may be nearing the end so I'll probably finish the game anyway.

Did you patch it? Because honestly the only bugs I encountered were getting stuck on things rarely (noclip fixes it), and the "destroy all barrels" objective in the Dam not working if you quit the game and resumed a save where you had destroyed any of them. Aside from that I didn't have any issues with the game. No crashes, no problems, nothing. Worked perfectly otherwise aside from some polish in a couple areas. I played it has a hardcore completionist too so I visited pretty much everywhere.

The only sniper in the mansion that sucks is the one you can't see at the beginning of the level...as to why they'd put a sniper behind you on a catwalk, I just don't get it.

The snipers are my favorite part of that level honestly. They try to shoot you from the outside, you have to snipe them first from the inside and use furniture as cover, or gain access to the roof, or both. It was actually one of my favorite mechanics in the whole game, and one of my favorite levels. I've never seen that before and aside from that one bullshit sniper at the entrance I thought it worked great! I had no problems killing them, seeing them, or hearing them first. You just need quick reflexes and cover.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 01 November 2015 - 09:17 PM

User is offline   Alithinos 

It's been 5 years since the last Duke game, and after total silence there comes up a new piece of information, and its just that Gearbox has just started thinking that it wants a new game at some point.
For me its bad news. I'd expect after Borderlands 2, they would focus on making a new Duke game, and that by now they would be ready to show some trailer and make a glorious unveiling of the game at some E3, PAX, or CES.
Yet its just "oh we are looking for someone to make a new Duke 'cause we are too arsed to do it ourselves".

This makes me think that Gearbox never truly liked Duke, and never wanted to 'save' him, as Randy said.
That they just found the chance to a bargain of buying a 90% done AAA game having lots of hype already that would save them some marketing bucks just for 5 millions, and decided to cash it in, without a vision and future plans for the series.

Times like these I hate not being a rich guy, to do game series like Duke Nukem some justice.

Let's all hope that the new game will be good.

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 06 January 2016 - 05:11 AM

Screw it, have Treyarch do it or another Activision Subsidiary.

View PostHulkNukem, on 15 July 2015 - 04:29 AM, said:

Several thoughts

1. I'm sad this means a Duke game hasn't already been in development. I really wanted to at least see what Duke Begins looked like

Well this article was published in 2015 so there very well could be a new Duke game in development as we speak

This "Duke Tour" stuff as of late is an attempt to rebuild his rep and introduce him to new generations before jumping full gear into a new game.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options