Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

What about the betas of the other 3DR games?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostDustFalcon85, on 06 September 2015 - 05:03 AM, said:

I think once again. What's the rights status of the pre-DNF games like Duke Nukem 1,2, 3D (and it's addons), and Manhattan Project? Are they still w/ 3D Realms? Will they be pulled from GOG.com, Steam and the 3D Realms store in the future? How a/b the rights to the console Duke games like 64, Total Meltdown, Time to Kill, Land of the Babes and Advanced? Will all of those game be transferred to Gearbox? I need some clarification and conformation.

No. Nothing Duke related belongs to 3DR anymore. It's all under Gearbox now. I don't know about taking the games down. We'll have to wait and see. Yes, all those games are now transferred to Gearbox.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 06 September 2015 - 06:47 AM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostDustFalcon85, on 06 September 2015 - 05:03 AM, said:

I think once again. What's the rights status of the pre-DNF games like Duke Nukem 1,2, 3D (and it's addons), and Manhattan Project? Are they still w/ 3D Realms? Will they be pulled from GOG.com, Steam and the 3D Realms store in the future? How a/b the rights to the console Duke games like 64, Total Meltdown, Time to Kill, Land of the Babes and Advanced? Will all of those game be transferred to Gearbox? I need some clarification and conformation.

I wouldn't worry about it. Older titles are revenue generators and Gearbox won't just leave money on the table.

User is online   Striker 

• Auramancer

So... let me get this straight... 3DR lost the rights to Duke Nukem 3D as well as a result of the recent lawsuit?!

That's some fucking horseshit right there.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 07 September 2015 - 09:56 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

They lost everything Duke Nukem related.

User is offline   t800 

AFAIK we havent got any official statement yet.
But, situation looks like 3D Realms lost rights to whole Duke IP, so even Duke 3D, its predecessors, console spin-offs, film adaptation, etc. Fate of SW and other games still not known. (But something tells me they are still in hands of 3DR. I mean I cant imagine how could lawyers of Gearbox argue them over.)

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postt800, on 07 September 2015 - 10:37 AM, said:

AFAIK we havent got any official statement yet.

View PostTerminX, on 30 August 2015 - 05:50 PM, said:

I got an answer and it was exactly what I didn't want to hear. Sorry everyone.I will try to work with Gearbox to make this happen for you guys.

View PostReaperMan, on 30 August 2015 - 09:52 PM, said:

So does that mean Gearbox owns all of Duke now?

View PostTerminX, on 30 August 2015 - 09:54 PM, said:

Yes.

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 31 August 2015 - 09:46 AM, said:

We're sorry guys. We did everything we could :'(

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 07 September 2015 - 01:25 PM

User is offline   Hool 

Posted Image

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostTerminX, on 05 September 2015 - 12:33 PM, said:

All I can say is that the contracts for HTTKC don't have any terms in them allowing either the licensee or licensor to cancel them on a whim. Transferring IP to another party doesn't just dissolve all contracts associated with it. I have been assured that there won't be an issue.

Phew, that's a loophole that you could have explored to release the Alphas and Betas.

View PostPerson of Color, on 06 September 2015 - 08:57 AM, said:

I wouldn't worry about it. Older titles are revenue generators and Gearbox won't just leave money on the table.

Their purpose is to kill any title that could away the attention from their major titles.

This post has been edited by Fox: 07 September 2015 - 04:02 PM

User is offline   Trebor_UK 

A better question would be, why did 3DR have to surrender their left over Duke rights? I mean it's been fine since Duke Nukem Forever, and they've re-released Duke 3D a few times in different packages, what happened?

This post has been edited by Trebor_UK: 08 September 2015 - 05:02 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostFox, on 07 September 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

Their purpose is to kill any title that could away the attention from their major titles.

You know, I don't care if they try to do that shit or not since I'm damn sure I won't touch their DLClands Borderlands series anymore(I were wanted to try before I knew 3DR lost the whole DN IP to Gearbox), and unless they finally released a DN title(whoever made it, its quality is other story but whatever), I won't give my shit on any of Gearbox Shovelware at all, we still not heard anything from Gearbox, except that useless report about they were finding someone help to do a new DN game.

:D

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 08 September 2015 - 05:40 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostTrebor_UK, on 08 September 2015 - 04:59 AM, said:

A better question would be, why did 3DR have to surrender their left over Duke rights? I mean it's been fine since Duke Nukem Forever, and they've re-released Duke 3D a few times in different packages, what happened?

What happened? Really? Did you not see them try to develop another Duke Nukem game?

I'd say the leftover rights were forked over due to no longer being trysted with that part of the Duke Nukem franchise and they remain having publisher rights.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostFox, on 07 September 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

Phew, that's a loophole that you could have explored to release the Alphas and Betas.

I think it's not the same. I assume Total Metldown and the mobile phone version of Duke Nukem 3D/EDuke32 are under a contract, a contract which doesn't change just because hands have changed on one side.
I mean, I'm sure Gearbox can cancel the whole thing at this point and pay for the amount of work done so far but that'd probably be a waste of money. Might as well pay a little more and have something to sell.

The betas thing was 3DRealms allowing fans to dig through their stuff and let them do whatever the fuck they wanted with it. On their freetime, not under a contract. So, they can only continue the project if they have Gearbox' agreement now, which they can always try to ask for (and I hope they already have).

Edit : I'm sure all they did for the betas was sign a NDA telling them they aren't allowed to share anything from the betas unless with the owner's consent, so the only loophole there could be is wait 2 years until the NDA has expired and hope Gearbox forgets to renew it. In the meantime Terminx and Hendricks can always jerk off to it.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 08 September 2015 - 06:23 AM

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Maybe they haven't mentioned anything on that announcement yet because right after they made it, this popped up. Im pretty sure its tough to handle promotions, advertising, and news updates while the ip is in legal hell.

I don't really think we should be bashing the full owner they have our baby in there hands now it is what it is. Gearbox does not have competition in Duke. He is a mere shadow of what he once was. Therefore why would they need to move him out of the way to kill competition.. Duke is still pretty popular but not enough to see the ip as big competition. Borderlands is much more popular with today then Duke. If he was big competition to other titles why even mention Duke?

Do you guys think Randy was bullied as a kid and possibly at 3DR as well?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostTrebor_UK, on 08 September 2015 - 04:59 AM, said:

I have a theory of how that's possible.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View Post64Ghost, on 08 September 2015 - 06:18 AM, said:

I don't really think we should be bashing the full owner they have our baby in there hands now it is what it is. Gearbox does not have competition in Duke. He is a mere shadow of what he once was. Therefore why would they need to move him out of the way to kill competition.. Duke is still pretty popular but not enough to see the ip as big competition. Borderlands is much more popular with today then Duke. If he was big competition to other titles why even mention Duke?

Do you guys think Randy was bullied as a kid and possibly at 3DR as well?

It's already 4 years passed, even don't count the lawsuit bullshit, still about 3 years after DNF released. For me, that useless report about "Gearbox finding someone to make new DN game" is bad sign at all, but I hope I just too paranoid, I hope. :D

I don't comment about Randy himself(but not really like him too), but after the disaster of A:CM(and rumor about Gearbox pull guys out of it to focus on Borderlands 2 and resulted A:CM failed so hard), it's way too hard to believe they cared other IPs except Borderlands... :D

Yeah, it still has possibility, but I won't care until it actually happens, whatever he cares/mentions DN or not.

:\

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 08 September 2015 - 07:30 AM

• Turok Nukem

That is the best approach Player Lin. Not really caring un till its actually real is a good way to go about it. That way if that news dissapears into oblivion your not let down. If it succeeds well then you have something to look forward to. A surprise hopefully.

I think it really matters who they bring in and how much freedom is given. But lets hope they actually do this and actually bring a team in who are capable of understanding Duke for what the game should be. Rather then some randoms with no fps Duke approved experience :s

A bit off topic but this thread derailed itself though.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMetHy, on 08 September 2015 - 06:13 AM, said:

I mean, I'm sure Gearbox can cancel the whole thing at this point

That's not how contracts work.

so the only loophole there could be is wait 2 years until the NDA has expired

That's not how NDAs work.

In the meantime Terminx and Hendricks can always jerk off to it.

That's not how any of this works.

User is offline   MetHy 

You're naïve if you think Gearbox wouldn't be able to end the project if they wanted to. There is always a way or another to end a contract. At this point who knows if they even took the time to think about that port.

The NDA I signed was valid for 2 years unless renewed. I thought it was a typical case. I guess yours is different.

At this point why would you do anything with the betas other than "looking at the thing and dreaming of what could be in the perfect situation"? Sounds pretty close to what people do when they jerk off :D

View PostLunick, on 08 September 2015 - 05:53 AM, said:

What happened? Really? Did you not see them try to develop another Duke Nukem game?

I'd say the leftover rights were forked over due to no longer being trysted with that part of the Duke Nukem franchise and they remain having publisher rights.

But it was supposed to be included in their left over rights.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I think they were trying to exploit a technically of the agreement in order to make a PC Duke game.

Gearbox's lawyers managed to argue that most likely. Then outside of court GB could have said "we'll leave you alone if you only give us the old parts of the Duke franchise."

User is offline   spessu_sb 

So basically.. Gearbox Software sucks.

nuffsaid..

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

It wasn't exploiting a loophole. INAL, but from the papers that we saw, They had the legal rights to make a Duke game. That is what is perplexing everyone.

What should have happened is that they walk into court, flash the judge the contract and say 'blow me' to GBX's lawyers and walk out again.

User is offline   xenoxols 

If I recall correctly, they only had the rights to make a duke game for a mobile device.

View Postxenoxols, on 09 September 2015 - 03:50 AM, said:

If I recall correctly, they only had the rights to make a duke game for a mobile device.

They could have made DN: Mass Destruction an Android/iOS game.

I think Gearbox were getting sick of 3D Realms reselling a franchise they are supposed to own.

This post has been edited by Trebor_UK: 09 September 2015 - 04:38 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostTrebor_UK, on 09 September 2015 - 04:35 AM, said:

They could have made DN: Mass Destruction an Android/iOS game.

Ride of the Triad was a reasonable download, I don't think everyone would pay $15+ for Bombshell on a mobile device with a large size.

View Postxenoxols, on 09 September 2015 - 03:50 AM, said:

A platform limitation to DS/PSP was for the remaining Duke Nukem Trilogy episodes. AFAIK that was not the case with Duke Nukem Survivor.

View PostKristian Joensen, on 09 September 2015 - 04:41 AM, said:

A platform limitation to DS/PSP was for the remaining Duke Nukem Trilogy episodes. AFAIK that was not the case with Duke Nukem Survivor.

Why didn't they just finish those off instead? I would love some answers from Fred.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Back to the pre-release/interim release material, may I ask if the results of comparative analysis carried out by TerminX and Hendricks266 can be published in some form or other?

I would assume that the end result of such analysis could be an article reconstructing the development process, and it is my understanding that the amount of material available actually allows to restore the chronology of development with a high degree of accuracy and detail.

The question is, how can this be published? Should such an article come from the copyright holders? In fact, are the copyright holders in any way interested in such analysis and work?

Another question is, are there legal grounds for such publication? I suppose that the NDA covers the beta materials, but what about fair use? Can a permission be obtained from the copyright holders to publish a history article, and use some material for illustration?

Sorry for so many questions, but I believe that regardless of who holds the rights and whether the beta versions themselves can be released, there should be a framework for such research. After all, this is really no different from scholarly studies of literature or cinematography.

• Turok Nukem

I wish I could of mapped for Duke Nukem Endangered Species. Wonder if this game was out of the question I am guessing it had no hope since no thoughts were on it recently. Anyway it seemed to be a Turok rip off with Duke instead lol.

This game went on to be "Carnivores" which released after Turok and the latest release is "Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter" ripping Turok off again.

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options