Duke4.net Forums: 3D Realms buying back Duke IP? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3D Realms buying back Duke IP?  "article from pc gamer"

http://www.pcgamer.c...-nukem-lawsuit/

I am sitting on my phone in a train and I just read this. Finally some news. Can anyone find the rest that the court have decided? I guess Fred won't answer until something is official. :)
I find it exciting with some news.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Not exactly. Apparently they are asking 3DRealms to pay for the losses with DNF, which is ridiculous.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

As the article indicates, this is still speculation. Gearbox can still price the Duke IP to an absurd amount outside of 3D Realms' price range.

User is offline   Lunick 

These websites don't know any more than the legal documents myself and Mr. Tibbs shared as both Gearbox and Interceptor/3D Realms won't comment further on this.

This post has been edited by Lunick: 21 May 2015 - 06:20 AM

Hey Lunick Could you share those documents here or in private chat? Unless it's the old documents from the beginning of the lawsuit.

User is offline   trustn0! 

3DR ain't getting shit.
Those documents are more than likely clauses that were part of the original deal back in 2010.
Just before the lawsuit was settled Gearbox reaffirmed its stance on the whole thing.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Some info at the tail of this thread, but it isn't a concrete answer.
http://forums.duke4....14/page__st__60

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

Always bet on Duke, always.

• Glory To Motherland!

People who bet on Duke for DNF all turned up snake eyes.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I think the lesson after all those years was: "Never bet on Duke".

This post has been edited by Princess Twilight Sparkle: 25 May 2015 - 03:29 PM

View PostPrincess Twilight Sparkle, on 25 May 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

I think the lesson after all those years was: "Never bet on Duke".

I disagree. The lesson here was never bet on development team leaders who mishandle Duke through lack of focus and trying to make a Duke game better than any other game imaginable with no end in sight.

I came across an old quote of George Broussard's from a Gamespot retrospective on Daikatana:

Through it all, Romero has realized something that George Broussard at 3D Realms says his company has also discovered. "When you set yourself up as the second coming," Broussard states, "you better deliver, or the fans and press will just look to beat you down."

Broussard thought he avoided Romero's mistake of over-hyping Daikatana by rarely showing the DNF's progress to the press, but he and 3D Realms ended up making the hype unbearably high by showing little of the game for long stretches of time and trying to make DNF surpass all the other games. Based upon that quote, Broussard probably thought that developing and revising DNF over the years would make the game embody what he wanted DNF to be. Because he didn't have a fixed direction for the game, and didn't consider the strain years of development would have on finance and team morale, he learned the wrong lesson.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostFlying Techbot, on 25 May 2015 - 07:57 PM, said:

I disagree. The lesson here was never bet on development team leaders who mishandle Duke through lack of focus and trying to make a Duke game better than any other game imaginable with no end in sight.

Oh, ok. So who's the alternative?

EDIT:

I realized I left this post a little vague. My point was that there really is no alternative, because no game studio is going to bother to get the rights to Duke Nukem to make a new Duke game after the whole DNF fiasco, which tarnished Duke's repuation. As I said, I think the lesson after all those years was: "Never bet on Duke".

I hope I get proved wrong one day. :)

This post has been edited by Princess Twilight Sparkle: 26 May 2015 - 07:35 PM

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostFlying Techbot, on 25 May 2015 - 07:57 PM, said:

Broussard thought he avoided Romero's mistake of over-hyping Daikatana by rarely showing the DNF's progress to the press, but he and 3D Realms ended up making the hype unbearably high by showing little of the game for long stretches of time and trying to make DNF surpass all the other games. Based upon that quote, Broussard probably thought that developing and revising DNF over the years would make the game embody what he wanted DNF to be. Because he didn't have a fixed direction for the game, and didn't consider the strain years of development would have on finance and team morale, he learned the wrong lesson.

After some time, it would have been better for Broussard to cancel DNF, or at least change the name, and start again with a new title. At least then he'd take the brief reputation hit from canceling a hyped game, than suffered the long-term fallout from a sub-par launch.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostComrade Major, on 26 May 2015 - 01:47 PM, said:

After some time, it would have been better for Broussard to cancel DNF, or at least change the name, and start again with a new title. At least then he'd take the brief reputation hit from canceling a hyped game, than suffered the long-term fallout from a sub-par launch.

If Broussard came back and released a new game, whether its an old IP or not, and the game turned out fantastic, I'm sure people would overlook DNF a bit.
If anything, I see more people blame Gearbox for DNF than the actual creators.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostHulkNukem, on 26 May 2015 - 02:22 PM, said:

I see more people blame Gearbox for DNF than the actual creators.

For a good reason.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostFox, on 26 May 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

For a good reason.

Say what you will about Gearbox, they at least released what was there. A lot of other people would've done the same.
If you pay money to get that IP, no way would you just keep sitting on it for another 3-4 years to try and fix it up.
In the end, 3DRealms (at the time) was responsible for what eventually came out, whether it was released too early or not.

Colonial Marines, that you can blame on Gearbox

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Always bet on dookie?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

GBX just polished the turd. 3DR squeezed it out.

Less WOW and more getting shit actually done on 3DRealm's part and we wouldn't be in this stupid situation today.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostHulkNukem, on 26 May 2015 - 03:56 PM, said:

Say what you will about Gearbox, they at least released what was there. A lot of other people would've done the same.
If you pay money to get that IP, no way would you just keep sitting on it for another 3-4 years to try and fix it up.
In the end, 3DRealms (at the time) was responsible for what eventually came out, whether it was released too early or not.

Yeah but Gearbox mega-hyped the game they knew was damn average (did it have a single innovation or unique feature?), and misled us about certain things like mod tools.

Randy should become a politician judging by how he handled the mod tool thing.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostTea Monster, on 27 May 2015 - 12:39 AM, said:

GBX just polished the turd. 3DR squeezed it out.

Less WOW and more getting shit actually done on 3DRealm's part and we wouldn't be in this stupid situation today.

Maybe, but saying this now is just useless as we can't go back to fix it. :)

In my personal opinion, Gearbox can spend more time and money if they want DNF better, but it seems they just give up and throw the polished turd out to user, and after their fail at A:CM, I don't think they ever care everything that wasn't their own IPs at all, Gearbox deserved blames, even they aren't the source of problems.

I still boyscotted games from Gearbox shovelware, even they finally make a DN game.

......well, I don't know...just lost hope. :|

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 29 May 2015 - 06:09 AM

User is offline   Max Payne 

• Skinny little Russian liberal faggot

wish they would put there hand in Max Payne again

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options