Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

User is offline   Dr_Proton 

So any new updates concerning the alpha/beta stuff ?

User is offline   Lunick 

Didn't I read something like by the end of either this or next month?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostLunick, on 29 April 2015 - 08:36 PM, said:

Didn't I read something like by the end of either this or next month?

I think that was just someone on this forum's April Fool's post.

User is offline   Lunick 

Thanks Obama

This thread is kill ...

User is offline   nukemania 

Relax, guys you'll get some betas soon enough.

View PostDr_Proton, on 09 May 2015 - 11:57 AM, said:

This thread is kill ...

The more you keep bumping it with your passive-aggressive "WHERE DA BETA AT LOL XD" bullshit, the more kill it becomes.

User is offline   Lunick 

View Postnukemania, on 09 May 2015 - 12:53 PM, said:

Relax, guys you'll get some betas soon enough.

Posted Image

Hey guys, how is July going for you ?

Oh wow this thread is 1+ years old.. :)

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Am I the only one who is glad this is taking a long time?

I would much rather have all the alphas/betas with detailed information to go with them, how to get them to run, what is actually within them on a technical standpoint, rather than just being thrown a shit load (and there is a shit load) of alpha/beta files without even knowing where to start. Before the announcement, everyone just speculated what was in the old alphas/betas by observing screen shots, videos, and unused CON code, and they also didn't know that all the alphas/betas had been saved (many believed them to all be lost except maybe some that Siegler had). Now that we know they're all there and the people with the power have promised to release them, I don't see the problem with being patient.

User is offline   Fulsy 

I would feel the same way if I were convinced that this time was actually being spent working on the betas.

I highly doubt that, though. Everything to do with the betas was handed over to TerminX and Hendricks, who have a whole host of more important shit on their plate, such as an android and IOS port that's actually made by competent people, and maintaining eduke32 in general, and all of that stuff falls second to their daily life and responsibilities.

As far as I know, 3DR shared the files with these two people only, and even went as far as to put them under a non-disclosure agreement regarding the content until "The right time".

Maybe there's a good reason to be so non-transparent about the content. I don't know. If there's no legal problem with releasing the betas as-is, I really wish 3DR would have more faith in people's ability to learn how to get things running themselves. There's plenty of people out there who have WAY too much time on their hands, and will gladly spend it looking at, and correcting, broken beta code.

I don't know any specifics about this project, and maybe keeping it under wraps and super-cleaning it is a proper way to go, but this is how I feel after over a year of following this stuff.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Agreed. It's not like it will never happen. Just the fact that it's in TX's and Hendricks's capable and loving hands means it'll be out eventually. I'm not worried. The fact that that happened is incredible in itself.

User is offline   Fulsy 

The fact that that happened is incredible in itself.

Yea, true. I can't bitch too much about the whole thing.

Before they found the stash, the best we had was lameduke (Which everyone knows like the back of their hand), shitty low-res pictures from defunct 90's gaming mags, shitty low-res video clips copied off old VHS tapes, and whatever had been left in the final game.

The last video that 3DR released, although short, showed me a side of Duke3D's development I never knew existed. I'm also pretty fascinated by such things as It's Impossible originally being a moonbase, Flood Zone being only part of a much larger map, and E1l1, E1l2, and E3l4 being one large map.

This post has been edited by Fulsy: 19 July 2015 - 01:34 PM

• el fundador

If it makes you guys feel any better, Evan and I sat down with Scott, Fred, Joe, and Levelord for a couple of hours to talk about this stuff recently (within the past few weeks). :)

View PostTerminX, on 19 July 2015 - 02:47 PM, said:

If it makes you guys feel any better, Evan and I sat down with Scott, Fred, Joe, and Levelord for a couple of hours to talk about this stuff recently (within the past few weeks). :)

This sounds really exciting :D

Oh and sorry for being impatient and bumping this thread to death with my bullshit posts ...

I can safely say that this huge project is in good hands and that patience will be well rewarded.

This post has been edited by Dr_Proton: 19 July 2015 - 03:51 PM

User is offline   xenoxols 

Does 3dRealms own the rights to Duke Nukem Endangered Species?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostTerminX, on 19 July 2015 - 02:47 PM, said:

aaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnddddddd.....?

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

TX, do you mean that you literally sat down with them or via skype? I'm just curious, because if it's in person or not, I find it amazing how close you guys are to the creators of Duke. Lucky!!

This post has been edited by gerolf: 21 July 2015 - 07:03 PM

• Polymancer

Surprised I got downvoted for that. I thought it was pretty reasonable to ask what it was they said.

It's like in the new Duke game thread dropping a post that says "Was talking to Randy the other day about the new Duke game." and the general response being "Really? That's great. Anyway, got to get to work so have a great day, bye!"

User is offline   Hank 

View PostTea Monster, on 22 July 2015 - 09:35 AM, said:

Surprised I got downvoted for that. I thought it was pretty reasonable to ask what it was they said.

Maybe they just sat down, and said nothing :)

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Maybe what we talked about is (still) under NDA.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Does that stand for No Duke Alphas? :)
Seeing the name Levelord really takes me back. I know around this time last year they had apparently got the rights to SiN; does anyone know if anything came of this? Levelord is too good a name/level designer to be used on casual games.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 22 July 2015 - 10:09 AM

• el fundador

View PostTea Monster, on 21 July 2015 - 04:43 PM, said:

aaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnddddddd.....?

And we had discussions about Duke development and what we might release and when, of course.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostTerminX, on 22 July 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

And we had discussions about Duke development and what we might release and when, of course.

Posted Image

Just kidding. Take your time, guys. We know this is worth the wait. :-)

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostHulkNukem, on 22 July 2015 - 10:08 AM, said:

Does that stand for No Duke Alphas? :)
Seeing the name Levelord really takes me back. I know around this time last year they had apparently got the rights to SiN; does anyone know if anything came of this? Levelord is too good a name/level designer to be used on casual games.

Especially now that in general the fps genre is pretty screwed up. I mean, even those supposebly "classic style" fps games suffer from just horrible level design.

Levelord needs to come and show them once more how it's done..

User is offline   Mark 

View PostTerminX, on 22 July 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

And it was decided that before anything else, Polymer should be optimized. :)

• Polymancer

In complete seriousness - Terminx and co will have to get their act together if they are going to sell this game on EDuke32. If there are glitches with TROR, the renderer won't work on half the cards out there and you need an i7 to play your DOS era shooter, then the new 3DR is going to have to hire an army of tech support gurus. This is why Megaton went with the port that they did. Having all this stuff that sort of works when it wants to is great for a free port, but once you start charging money and selling to the technically illiterate populace on Steam, then it's a different story.

Oh yeah, does TerminX and his dudes have the older Max Payne builds? I remember in the 1998 trailer there was an unrealistically huge dude and a Duke Nukem lookalike.

• el fundador

Wrong thread.

Regardless, new game doesn't use Polymer. It's a retro project, why would it use that? It more likely than not won't even be compiled into the binary. You should think a bit before you post.

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options