• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Post Thread

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostHigh Treason, on 01 May 2015 - 09:10 PM, said:

Thanks, but no way, you wouldn't get me running another Core 2 for anything in the world. I think my 486 SX is probably faster than those things.

They're great for non gaming use, especially the 6MB cache models, they're multitasking monsters and they're faster for single threaded stuff too.

My last laptop had a 2.8 C2D and I got it for free last year and intended to get 2-3 more years out of it. That CPU was superb, it multitasked better than some newer i-series laptops I've used. Everything was immediate and seamless, bogging it down with day to day stuff was damn hard to do.

The only shitty Core 2's are the quads IMO. They're just pathetic compared to a Phenom II, and all of them need a hefty overclock to be usable, wheras PHII's ran great out of the box.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 02 May 2015 - 11:13 AM

Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

Imagine meeting face to face with this while snorkeling in the river.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: tigerfish_11.jpg
  • Attached Image: killer-fish-goliath-tigerfish-pictures3.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark.: 03 May 2015 - 09:34 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

HT, I can't sit back and watch core2s get crapped on. I love Core 2 Duos and Core 2 Quads.

I have : Core2duo 6750 2.66GHz/ 1333Mhz/ 4mb Cache which I ran at 3.6Ghz for along time on liquid, no SSE 4.1 though.

Core2Quad q9550 2.8Ghz/ 1333Mhz/ 12 yes, 12mb cache. Has SSE 4.1. Also overclocks well.

Core2duo (Centrino Laptop) 1.66Ghz/blah/blah.

These chips were pretty much the first chips that can ram through an aged/ congested operating system and run pretty much everything nice and "snappy." It's rare when a Core2 locks because you overwhelmed it. Newer chips are a bit nicer with video editing and 2015 high high end gaming but c'mon.

Compared to the AMD64 3500+ and x2 4200 that I had before.. The core2 chips are Watsons. Someone as knowledgeable as yourself with computers slandering the core2s just isn't making sense to me.

Yeah really, I don't know why he hates them. I had a Core 2 Duo back in 2006 and it was the tits.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 03 May 2015 - 10:16 PM

Posted Image

I'm sure I've explained this before, but their performance seems to be a common misconception. In effect, the Core 2 was nothing more than a glorified Mobile Pentium III/Celeron with a dysfunctional cache. To say it was slow at everything is untrue, for reasons I can't be bothered to understand they perform rather well in most games and therefore, the majority of benchmarks which put more weight on such tests, but you can't judge them solely on a single task because by definition, x86 is a general purpose architecture.

The main problems I have are;
> Painfully slow performance. There is a noticeably wait when hot switching applications in Windows, for extra lulz, install a 64-Bit OS and use Google Chrome with more than three tabs open, it does NOT perform well. For some reason putting the CPU in 64-Bit mode makes it worse, it also has problems with 32-Bit code when in this mode, rendering it unreliable and prone to crashes. They also are not very good at compression or encoding related tasks, data streams can halt the core and cache temporarily too, which makes them useless for video editing - which is what I am doing, so it doesn't work for me.

> Heat. At 3.4GHz, my NetBurst Pentium D 940 is still barely exceeding 35°C at full load, in fact, it did not complain when I tested at 4.2GHz... Hardly a processor known to run cool, but this same heatsink cannot be used on a Core 2 E8200 (2.66GHz) because the CPU will quickly pass 50°C and set off the overheat alarm. The Core 2 also uses significantly more electricity - which makes sense, given how much heat it is dissipating. Due to the previously mentioned performance problems, it is therefore a very inefficient processor... But then it is from 1995, so what did we expect really?

> Supporting hardware was terrible; Generally, Core 2 motherboards have several problems. The vast majority seem to be based on P35/ICH9 combos. The P35 is a terrible chipset, it runs hot and performs badly, the ICH9 has possibly the worst RAID controller ever devised - I don't understand how they messed this up, because you'd think it was just the same as the ICH7, but it is not. The ICH9 loses around 100MB/s of throughput from my RAID0 array vs. the old ICH7. It may be the PCI-E on these chipsets at fault though, because some PCI-E cards notice a drop too, unfortunately I can't just drop another RAID card in, because I am using the PCI-E slots for the video capture hardware, which is what requires the array in the first place. By this time, I don't know if Via and SiS were still making chipsets, I have never seen one. I believe there were nForce boards out there but that would just be pointless because they don't work. It seems everyone bought the absolute worst back then too, because if you look for 775 motherboards all you will find are ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, BioStar and very little else, all for £100 or more, which is a bad joke, I seriously doubt the ASUS P5Q was worth that even when new, let alone today, and anybody that paid that kind of money for such a board is a complete and utter buffoon.

Overall, they are slow and unstable. I have had several and they all yield the same problems, so I can only conclude that they never worked. Some of the problems were confirmed by scanning through documents, such as the errata, which Intel themselves published. It was just a bad time for hardware, the original Phenom was just as poor if not slightly worse because it doesn't last as long.

For reasons I don't understand the Core 2 had, and seems to still have, one of the biggest fanboy movements ever seen by the world, but that suits me fine because those people have always been fun to annoy - and they usually annoy very easily. All one has to do is press Render in Sony Vegas and observe as the supposedly slower NetBurst chip outstrips their piece of junk whilst using considerably less electricity (It's still horribly inefficient in reality)... They get mad and accuse you of cheating. I remember running Crysis too, they used to get mad because they had spent all that money on a new Core 2 box only for my crappy old thing to show up and keep pace with it... Usually on an inferior GPU to the one they had, it was the one game I could catch them up in and I have never known why. It was made worse when I then turned around and had a "meh" attitude to it, saying "I don't game anyway, so whatever." before firing up Vegas, which is something their machine won't even run stably.

What does it matter anyway? It's payday, a Xeon E3 1271V3 is on its way to me and once I've gotten the rest of the gear (A board to plug it into, etc) the Core 2, and even the Pentium D, will look like a Texas Instruments calculator by comparison. I already know this one is good because I specced it years ago, my friend then built one either because he stole my design or because he arrived at similar conclusions when looking for hardware. This proved to be good though as it gave me a chance to see the system running before I started building one myself. His is slightly anemic compared to mine though, or so I say, because he seems to substitute my Kingston parts for Corsair ones, as well as not using the mighty SeaSonic PSU I had specced... In reality those parts are pretty much identical, his PSU looks suspiciously familiar and I'm almost certain that if you pulled the heatsink off the RAM it would be the same ICs, probably even the same PCB, underneath... He does have a marginally slower CPU (1241), but there isn't much in it. Same motherboard, same hard drives, same OS... Probably the same GPU (750 Ti).

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostRobman, on 03 May 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

HT, I can't sit back and watch core2s get crapped on. I love Core 2 Duos and Core 2 Quads.

Who knows what's really going on?
He's a smart guy, but half the time you can't tell if he's being serious or not. (complains of not having a reliable computer and falling off the face of the earth - but refuses offers of computer components. Complains of starving - but has the money to acquire enough electronics to run his own Radio Shack)

This post has been edited by Forge: 04 May 2015 - 04:41 AM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostPerson of Color, on 03 May 2015 - 08:40 PM, said:

Yeah really, I don't know why he hates them. I had a Core 2 Duo back in 2006 and it was the tits.

He's just jealous because he's still running a Pentium III or whatever.

View PostForge, on 04 May 2015 - 04:39 AM, said:

Who knows what's really going on?
He's a smart guy, but half the time you can't tell if he's being serious or not. (complains of not having a reliable computer and falling off the face of the earth - but refuses offers of computer components. Complains of starving - but has the money to acquire enough electronics to run his own Radio Shack)

You talk like you think you know me... Evidently you don't, or you're just shit at math. There is a difference between £1.99 and £299.

View PostReaperMan, on 04 May 2015 - 01:22 PM, said:

He's just jealous because he's still running a Pentium III or whatever.

What's that supposed to mean? Get with the times you dumb slut;
Posted Image

Incidentally, why wouldn't I want to use a Pentium III? The alternative was to use the Core 2 Quad which proved to be significantly slower... Well, not slower, but tasks took longer because Vegas kept crashing and I could only render using a single thread to keep the program running. Using two threads on the PIII actually yielded faster rendering times. Still, that's all in the past now.

You also seem unaware that a brand new Xeon E3-1271V3 is now half way to my house, which will soon put that stuff even further behind... Shit, and I thought I was the one living in 1999. :D

Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

View PostHigh Treason, on 04 May 2015 - 09:40 PM, said:

You talk like you think you know me...

No need to get upset with me over the things you post.

You have mentioned several times about computer problems. You were offered components on more than one occasion. Instead of accepting them, you used it as a platform to rant about the inferiority of the items you were being offered.

You've mentioned several times that you have to chose between paying some unfair bill or eating. Almost in the same breath you then go on to show off your new electronic toys, musical instrument, computer component, etc.

Evidently you don't, or you're just shit at math. There is a difference between £1.99 and £299.

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.
Food is super expensive and computer components grow on trees?

You also seem unaware that a brand new Xeon E3-1271V3 is now half way to my house,

If this only costs £1.99, send me a dozen

No, I don't know you. All I know is what you post. From what you do post all I can tell is that you're very knowledgeable in electronics and computers, but suck at managing your budget.

This post has been edited by Forge: 05 May 2015 - 07:13 AM

And all I can tell about you is that you suck at reading as well as mathematics.

Typical cost of a worthless old component is naff all, averages to about 50p per CPU. Motherboards and such are also usually cheap due to the fact they aren't wanted by the IBM/Dell/Other shit OEM fanboys out there and sellout poseur faggots like LGR wouldn't be seen dead with them. VGA cards... If it isn't a Voodoo, it costs nothing or you are paying too much - probably a better card in reality too, I love my Riva. The fact of the matter is I save for those things, but I have a max cap on my bank account, if I save too much I lose my benefits permanently, so I have to spend the money after a while, due to the time between bills going out and the large payment, there is a brief period where I have to live on pennies every month.

The cost of a new part is one huge cost, to afford it I have to resort to some very smart timing and potentially use underhand means to save more than I am supposed to for a brief time, often having to starve myself in the process due to that gap between the outgoing bills and the incoming payment, any excess after that bill payment must be spent before the next payment comes in. Saving for components like RAM or CPU are very difficult indeed, I risk losing everything.

So stop making assumptions or go fuck yourself. Maybe you can afford nice shit, but I can't, I'm sick to death of people talking to me like I'm scum or making assumptions just because I'm poor and I don't work. I didn't choose to live like this, you think I spent three years having a fucking mental breakdown at college and who knows how many more years of courses and the place I worked only to then go "No, fuck it, let's not work, let's have no money, be too ill to do any of the stuff I like and have to eat the same bland diet every fucking day, hey I sure love stomach acid getting into my lungs too so let's have that... Yeah, that's the life for me. Oh, and my friends, yeah, let's watch them go off and get nice jobs from all those exams I filled out for them, watch then get money and families and nice houses and management positions, all that shit I aspired to and more, just as they insult me to my back and stop having anything to do with me. Yeah, great, that's the way I want to be."

This post has been edited by High Treason: 05 May 2015 - 08:45 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Posted Image

Shit, to be honest. But there's nothing I can do about it. After a while you learn to just laugh at it, because it could be a hell of a lot worse.

User is offline   Forge 

So you are pissy with me because of the things you post.

Speaking of assumptions; how much money do you think a disabled veteran gets every month? Especially when the VA almost refuses to acknowledge that I was damaged in combat, but their medical system is so screwed up it's near impossible to get in to see anybody or get the referrals I need for medical evaluation. And I support a family, not an electronic toy habit. Life isn't cake and ice cream for everyone sugar-pants.

Stock up on food items with a shelf-life while you have the money to do so, and withdraw the rest into an easily cash liquidation form. You're a smart guy, I'm sure you can figure it out without having to starve yourself.

Telling me to fuck myself and blaming everyone around you for using and abandoning you is quite endearing.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostHigh Treason, on 05 May 2015 - 08:44 AM, said:

What's that supposed to mean? Get with the times you dumb slut;

Coming from the guy who used this computer in 2009 and runs around town with 1980's boomboxes i find it hilarious you tell me to get with the "times".
Posted Image

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 05 May 2015 - 02:11 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

I don't even want to know about the empty petroleum jelly jar.

User is offline   Lunick 

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Can't wait for the extreme edition so we can get GoatZee

View PostForge, on 05 May 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

So you are pissy with me because of the things you post.

Speaking of assumptions; how much money do you think a disabled veteran gets every month? Especially when the VA almost refuses to acknowledge that I was damaged in combat, but their medical system is so screwed up it's near impossible to get in to see anybody or get the referrals I need for medical evaluation. And I support a family, not an electronic toy habit. Life isn't cake and ice cream for everyone sugar-pants.

Stock up on food items with a shelf-life while you have the money to do so, and withdraw the rest into an easily cash liquidation form. You're a smart guy, I'm sure you can figure it out without having to starve yourself.

Telling me to fuck myself and blaming everyone around you for using and abandoning you is quite endearing.

Veterans? You signed up for that shit, so you chose that outcome. Do I think the way veterans are treated is right? No, it's disgusting, but it's well known and you still took the risk. I have no sympathy. You have a family to support? Again, you chose to do that, if you didn't want to nobody was forcing you.

Moving money around is not a possibility because they are rather good at prying into my business, if they discovered it I could get jail time. I can't stock up on food either as I have to eat a specific diet due to stomach disease, if I start just eating random crap I generally end up being taken in to hospital.

View PostReaperMan, on 05 May 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

Coming from the guy who used this computer in 2009 and runs around town with 1980's boomboxes i find it hilarious you tell me to get with the "times".

I still fail to see the problem. I'm also still using that computer.

View PostMblackwell, on 05 May 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

I am sure we discussed this back when that image was originally posted, so I see no reason to go over it again. If you want to imagine what I do with that stuff, well, that's up to you, I hope you enjoy yourself.

User is offline   brownfarted 

• The Original Shitposter

View PostMblackwell, on 05 May 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

Good for Constipation .

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostHigh Treason, on 05 May 2015 - 11:12 PM, said:

Veterans? You signed up for that shit, so you chose that outcome. Do I think the way veterans are treated is right? No, it's disgusting, but it's well known and you still took the risk. I have no sympathy. You have a family to support? Again, you chose to do that, if you didn't want to nobody was forcing you.

I think even you know what coercion is (or, I don't know if Forge is old enough to be around for this, but how about THE DRAFT???)

I am sure we discussed this back when that image was originally posted, so I see no reason to go over it again.

This is the first I've heard about your petroleum jelly. :D Does anyone have a link to the original post?

Good for Constipation .

That's a shitty reason and a load of crap.

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 06 May 2015 - 03:53 AM

User is offline   Forge 

Moving money around is not a possibility because they are rather good at prying into my business

you must suck at math, because you're constantly manipulating the system to get money for electronics
e.g.:

You also seem unaware that a brand new Xeon E3-1271V3 is now half way to my house

I can't stock up on food either as I have to eat a specific diet due to stomach disease

This makes no sense. Lame excuse
Maybe the next electronic toy you need to buy is a freezer so you can store your food.

Sorry that you think insulting me for pointing out the stuff you post makes you feel better and superior.

Veterans? You signed up for that shit, so you chose that outcome.

This has to be one of the more silliest things you've said to me to justify your situation. I don't recall jumping up and down with glee as I was signing the papers and looking forward to the day my spine looked like cheap T-bone steak. I could have just as easily taken a career in burger flipping and burned my face off on a grill in a freak accident. Shit happens. People end up in tough situations.
It's not about me, it's about you since you like to repeatedly put your business out there about how tough you have it. When people try to give you advice or offer you computer components you snub your nose at them like what they're offering (advice or hardware) is below you. Or you just drop some lame excuse because you're too mentally lazy to make any effort to improve your situation. You like being your own martyr too much and you've cried wolf way too many times for anybody to take you seriously.

I don't doubt you have it hard, but you don't have to be such a shit when people try to offer you assistance or advice.

This post has been edited by Forge: 06 May 2015 - 05:46 AM

Done with this bullshit.

Not even going to write what I think of explain what is wrong with your various deluded statements. I don't need this right now with the way my life is going, so congratulations, you just lost this community a valuable member - yes, this is my goodbye cruel message board thread.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

If you are going to quit because of an obnoxious discussion in The Post Thread, people won't care much.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostHigh Treason, on 06 May 2015 - 10:47 AM, said:

Done with this bullshit.

Not even going to write what I think of explain what is wrong with your various deluded statements. I don't need this right now with the way my life is going, so congratulations, you just lost this community a valuable member - yes, this is my goodbye cruel message board thread.

Sure. Why not? It's the easy thing to do. Run away and blame someone else.
Chalk it up in that long list of 'friends' that used then abandoned you.

Before I turn my back on you just like the rest of 'them', you really should look into managing your budget better. There should be no reason for you to go without food, and an empty stomach probably doesn't help your situation any.

User is offline   Max Payne 

• Skinny little Russian liberal faggot

I can't read everything but I sure he not just wanting to leave over this thread by itself.... someone tell me checking here so I did but I cant I just cant be leaving with out it.

All I I got out of this was "YO LUNICK IM OUT OF ROLLS"

ToiletPaper SIMULATOR how much in linear feet do I need

This post has been edited by Max Payne: 06 May 2015 - 11:45 AM

Share this topic:

• 738 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options