Duke4.net Forums: Eduke32 vs Doom Builder? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Eduke32 vs Doom Builder?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Do you know if it has much gameplay or is it mostly just eye candy so far? I.e is what's shown in the trailers the majority of the mod?

User is offline   zykov eddy 

The version I have has no gameplay, it's mostly just a collection of unfinished maps.

I'll try to contact the guy and ask him about the mod.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 15 December 2014 - 06:59 AM

Whoa, thanks for all of the replies, everyone. :)
I decided to look up some tutorial videos for Doom II, and everything shown in there seemed simple to make. Anyway, that same night, I actually dreamt I was making and playing my first map I made with a friend using Eduke32 ( I guess watching Doom tutorials triggered the dream). It wasn't all that great of a map and the textures were very plain -it was a partially flooded temple level with a lot of pillars and rolling barrels with mutant creatures inside of them that would come up to you and attack- but it felt pretty cool being able to play it.
Nonetheless, Eduke32/Maptser tutorials are all mostly text-based, but it seems easy enough to do (I think) with a little bit of creative thinking based off of what is shown in the tutorials. They seem to just cover mostly the basics; but from what I've read and seen, they're more for you to lean as you go than it being spoon fed to you. I think it's better that way so you can have a eureka moment when you figure out something that you've been in pursuit for a solution for quite some time -more meaningful, I guess you could say.

-Comrade Nuclear :P

• Honored Donor

Oh? Have you come across this mapping guide yet?

http://infosuite.duke4.net/

Holy moly, no! I haven't come across that guide yet. Thanks, a lot!
Since my last post, I've also come across a guide you made, Micky C.

How to Make Fun, Good looking SP Maps

-Comrade Nuclear :)

This post has been edited by NuclearWastE3: 17 December 2014 - 05:10 PM

• Honored Donor

That guide should be inclusive of the Infosuite (the guide I linked above), as well as my own guide to good maps, and guide to mapping faster. They're all good reads.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 17 December 2014 - 05:43 PM

User is offline   Flesh420 

I've mapped for Doom many years and recently started Duke mapping. I'd say if you want to make a TC go with Doom, learning Duke mapping will be ALLOT easier if you learn how sectors work from Doom. Plus the way Build does doors is very frustrating and confusing at first. With Doom once you learn doors everything pretty much snaps in place. But once you learn Doom's engine inside and out, the freedom Build provides is pretty awesome, everything from the texture set to what you can do with sprites is one of the few times I've felt that good ol' fashioned fun feeling. My biggest qualm with Build mapping is the damn hotkeys, that'll be what you'll fight the most.

This post has been edited by Flesh420: 05 May 2015 - 02:08 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options