Duke4.net Forums: Original Duke Nukem/Nukum sidescroller source code...? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Original Duke Nukem/Nukum sidescroller source code...?

User is offline   r00tb33r 

Any chance of getting the source code to the original Duke Nukem sidescroller (II would be a bonus)?

I feel like porting it, but it would be both easier and more accurate with original source on hand.

Was the source ever released, and if not, who would I (or we) would ask for it?

User is offline   Lunick 

Unless it was found with the 3D Realms acquisition, it is lost.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Unless the legend of Allen H. Blum having it on an Amiga disk in his attic is true.

View PostHendricks266, on 30 March 2015 - 06:46 PM, said:

Unless the legend of Allen H. Blum having it on an Amiga disk in his attic is true.

Is that something that was brought up before? Anyone asked?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postr00tb33r, on 30 March 2015 - 08:10 PM, said:

Is that something that was brought up before? Anyone asked?

/condescending pat on the head

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

It's lost. Sorry

Did Todd Replogle misplaced the source codes by mistake or by purpose? George Broussard said that in a mindspring Q&A.

Moral of the story: Be VERY careful w/ handling the source codes and make like 10 backup copies of the sources in CD's, thumb drives, cloud storage, floppies and so on. Try and keep the legacies of the 1990's gaming alive. Cloud storage didn't exist in the 1990's and the USB drive is in it's infancy back then.

Also keep the Kingpin: Life of Crime source very safe and make alot of backup copies of it's source code like I said Fred, until you get in touch w/ Interplay. Then hopefully they'll release it under GPL.

EDIT: Is it possible to try to get in contact w/ all of the old 3D Realms team of the 1990's to recover the sources to other Apogee games as possible?

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 31 March 2015 - 12:41 PM

I just don't want to bother the old guys with questions that might have been asked before. If that's something that was extensively explored then I won't pursue it. Or if there wasn't enough interest in it in the past then it could be worth looking into. I'd like to be more certain.

So basically this is all I've got to start with:
http://www.shikadi.n...wiki/Duke_Nukem
http://gnukem.sourceforge.net/

My concern is of course reproducing the (simple) enemy AI logic, correct movement and animation timing.

This post has been edited by r00tb33r: 31 March 2015 - 06:32 PM

Deleted.

This post has been edited by r00tb33r: 31 March 2015 - 06:32 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Have you seen ReDuke as well? http://forums.duke4....-1-for-windows/

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostDustFalcon85, on 31 March 2015 - 12:37 PM, said:

Moral of the story:

Nice advice that would be useful 20 years ago. =P

View PostLunick, on 31 March 2015 - 08:14 PM, said:

Have you seen ReDuke as well? http://forums.duke4....-1-for-windows/

Wow that's amazing.

It would be awesome to have a peek at the source...

This might sound odd but it's not a modern OS port I'm doing anyway so whatever I do is in no way conflicting with that project. I'm starting on an Amiga port and will perhaps try for a cartridge-based port for C64.

I pretty much just need to see the game logic in high level language... The rest is mostly platform dependent.

User is offline   Lunick 

I only have his maybe old website as some form of contact http://home.arcor.de/k1n9duk3/ He's a bit hard to come by so sorry I couldn't be of any more help to your project.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Any word from the creator of re-duke?

View Postgerolf, on 06 April 2015 - 06:38 PM, said:

Any word from the creator of re-duke?

I haven't contacted yet. Doing my taxes right now.

Here's an interesting question for discussion though. I started reading Masters of Doom last night and I've made it as far as the guys getting in touch with Apogee following Carmack's breakthrough with sidescrolling for EGA. That point in the book should be sometime in September of 1990.
Did the Duke sidescroller released in July of 1991 include Carmack's optimizations for EGA scrolling?

User is offline   Frenkel 

No, the graphics routines are based on the ProGraphx Toolbox by Peder Jungck.
ProGraphx Toolbox is also used in Dark Ages, Crystal Caves, Secret Agent and FBI Fred.

On the credits screen of Duke Nukem it says "special thanks to id Software", because the sound routines where created by id Software.
The same sound routines are also used in Catacomb, The Catacomb, Commander Keen 1-3, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventures, Dangerous Dave, Dangerous Dave in Copyright Infringement, Dangerous Dave 2, Hovertank 3-D, Math Rescue, Major Stryker, Monster Bash, Paragon, Pickle Wars, Realms of Chaos, Rescue Rover, Shadow Knights, Slordax and Xenopods.

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

View PostFrenkel, on 08 April 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

On the credits screen of Duke Nukem it says "special thanks to id Software", because the sound routines where created by id Software.

They used id Software's/Softdisk's joystick code, too. Even the joystick code in Duke Nukem II is based on that code, even though they didn't give any credits or thanks to id Software in Duke II.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options