Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem Forever: Railgun Montage - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Forever: Railgun Montage  "My personal montage of some railgun kills in DNF"

User is offline   StarNukem 

I've got a video for you guys! Certainly not my best kills, but just a short 4 minute video of me popping heads with the railgun!

This post has been edited by StarCraftZergling: 09 November 2014 - 07:39 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

People still play this game?

You should also put the YouTube link directly without the S in http so it displays in the post.

And for the love of God, don't put music on video gameplay videos, it's horrible.
I'd rather listen to the gameplay.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 07 November 2014 - 10:53 PM

View PostThe Commander, on 07 November 2014 - 10:51 PM, said:

People still play this game?

That surprises you? I still play the game, in fact I love the game... better than any Call of Duty, Battlefield, Far Cry, etc. Duke Nukem Forever was amazing.

I would rather play COD than DNF, and everyone knows how much I hate COD... So that is saying a lot.
There is nothing wrong with Battlefield at all so that can't even be contested.

View PostThe Commander, on 08 November 2014 - 09:50 AM, said:

I would rather play COD than DNF, and everyone knows how much I hate COD... So that is saying a lot.
There is nothing wrong with Battlefield at all so that can't even be contested.

DNF is amazing compared to CoD, especially for it's gameplay mechanics, it embraces classic gaming like more modern games should. I rate DNF 10/10, I would go higher, but that would ruin my rating system. CoD can be amazing, especially the old ones, but DNF is so much better. And I've only played Battlefield briefly, and it was amazing... but it, along with almost every modern FPS, gets to story driven, not enough run-and-gun... wait, no run-and-gun because when you run you can't shoot... which is highly unrealistic... sigh the ignorance of man.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View PostNever Forgotten, on 08 November 2014 - 11:58 AM, said:

DNF is amazing compared to CoD, especially for it's gameplay mechanics, it embraces classic gaming like more modern games should. I rate DNF 10/10, I would go higher, but that would ruin my rating system. CoD can be amazing, especially the old ones, but DNF is so much better. And I've only played Battlefield briefly, and it was amazing... but it, along with almost every modern FPS, gets to story driven, not enough run-and-gun... wait, no run-and-gun because when you run you can't shoot... which is highly unrealistic... sigh the ignorance of man.

Hey I enjoyed DNF too and would play it a dozen times over a 6 hour brown and grey campaign of "center screen, push button", but it's no way in hell a 10/10 game, the max I'd give it is a 6 or 7.

View PostxMobilemux, on 08 November 2014 - 01:57 PM, said:

Hey I enjoyed DNF too and would play it a dozen times over a 6 hour brown and grey campaign of "center screen, push button", but it's no way in hell a 10/10 game, the max I'd give it is a 6 or 7.

Then you don't know how to enjoy games, but everyone has an opinion.

View PostFrom 08 November 2014 - 11:58 AM:

And I've only played Battlefield briefly, and it was amazing... but it, along with almost every modern FPS, gets to story driven, not enough run-and-gun... wait, no run-and-gun because when you run you can't shoot... which is highly unrealistic... sigh the ignorance of man.

What the fuck did i just read?

You sure you have played Battlefield or any other FPS multiplayer? Battlefield and COD multiplayer have nothing to do with the story and you can run and shoot in them just like in real life, sprinting you can't.

COD is run and gun, Battlefield is more strategic if you are playing conquest.

Please know what you are talking about next time.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 09 November 2014 - 02:07 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

How the fuck does DNF embrace classic gaming? IMO it combines the worst elements of classic games (crap, absent story), and modern games (regenerating health, linear level progression etc).

In duke 3d you pick up a gun and start blasting aliens from start to finish. In DNF they jerk you around for the first hour or so and are full of crappy sections where you're either walking around not doing anything, or solving poorly designed, unoriginal puzzles. The shooting isn't even that great either due to the regen health and weak weapons.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

I always thought that DNF's "awfulness" was highly exaggerated, but a 10/10 is really, really, really pushing it. I know everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but Never Forogtten's mini-review seems just a tad out of touch with reality... :)

This post has been edited by Duke Rocks: 09 November 2014 - 03:59 AM

Totalbiscuit review of the game was great, he was expecting and wanting better and was highly let down.

User is offline   Kathy 

If I remember correctly, he was reviewing first half an hour or something of DNF. If it was him then I can't say I agree. He makes it out to be like a chore when it was perhaps the most interesting part of the game being enough varied. Then again... I liked platforming burger level. )

And I don't really know how a professional reviewer could have expected better given how infamous DNF's development hell was. It was pretty much expected, but with a small and naive hope of it being awesome.

This post has been edited by Kathy: 09 November 2014 - 04:56 AM

I actually didn't know anyone really liked DNF enough to give it more than a little 6/10. Anyway, i've discussed this a million times. Funny that those who rated it highly would be found on Duke4 though! :)

View PostKathy, on 09 November 2014 - 04:55 AM, said:

If I remember correctly, he was reviewing first half an hour or something of DNF. If it was him then I can't say I agree. He makes it out to be like a chore when it was perhaps the most interesting part of the game being enough varied. Then again... I liked platforming burger level. )

Right, because having no gun play for several hours is so fun.

Go play the first episode of Duke Nukem 3D with the enemies turned off... Boring as shit.

I loved DNF, I've played it through several times on the different difficulties. I rate it so high because it doesn't rely on the story to make the game, it relies on a fun gameplay. Naturally I'd give it somewhere around 5/10, but because it's a game I can play for hours on end and not be bored, even playing levels over and over, I give it 10/10. Because that is what makes the game, with Duke Nukem it has to be fun, goofy and alien ass kicking... and it is.

I think you are getting DNF mixed up with Duke Nukem 3D with that statement.

View PostThe Commander, on 09 November 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

I think you are getting DNF mixed up with Duke Nukem 3D with that statement.

Nope, I know both games by heart... mostly... anywho, I prefer Duke Nukem 3D better game... I'd give 100/10 if I could, and I've played through it hmm, I don't even know how many times. I'm 18 almost 19, and I've been playing it since I was 4.

View PostNever Forgotten, on 09 November 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

Nope, I know both games by heart... mostly... anywho, I prefer Duke Nukem 3D better game... I'd give 100/10 if I could, and I've played through it hmm, I don't even know how many times. I'm 8 almost 9, and I've been playing it since I was 4.

Corrected that for you, because anyone who was 18+ should know DNF is trash or they really have not played any other games in their life.

View PostThe Commander, on 09 November 2014 - 08:10 AM, said:

Corrected that for you, because anyone who was 18+ should know DNF is trash or they really have not played any other games in their life.

Yeah, you're real mature... DNF is better than a lot of games, now if you can't accept my opinion then just leave.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostThe Commander, on 09 November 2014 - 07:10 AM, said:

Right, because having no gun play for several hours is so fun.

Or maybe it says something about DNF as a shooter when non shootings parts were more interesting.

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

@Never Forgotten
All I can say about DNF is that, most of it went too far, I liked the gunplay, the levels etc. and was fine with the ego bar and other changes because I mainly play on consoles, and those features were in most console first person shooters by then (making the campaign automatically mediocre by any standards). The main problem for me were the unnecessary crude jokes that went too far even for duke. like the holsom? twins stating "we'll get the weight off in a week we swear" basically stating that they'll abort themselves if duke is able to save them to lose weight. Next thing wall boobs, I think that's all I have to say about that. The whole strip club fiasco was only necessary for unruly teenagers, making the campaign itself only a 5/10 at the VERY MOST. (Unless you were an unruly teenager in which, I can see that influencing your decisions)The multiplayer though, I enjoyed extremely, I hadn't played an arena fps in forever, and that was probably the most enjoyable part of the entire game. Since it is a campaign focused game (at least it's supposed to be) the rating would be a solid 6, just above your average mediocre Fps. If the game was touted as online only like quake 3, I would probably slap an 8.5 on it, at the very most. What I'm saying is, the campaign dragged the whole game down the toilet in Urea 51.

Which Is why I don't understand your 10/10, It's ok to have an opinion, but it's horrible to have an unfounded one. Especially with an obviously non perfect game that you blatantly gave a perfect review.

And yes I've played Duke Nukem 3d, so I know he's a tad inappropriate, but Forever went way farther then the standards set by Duke 3d.

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 09 November 2014 - 02:39 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I've been playing DNF through off and on for the first time since I first played it when it was first released. It's not too terrible, I still say. There were a lot of great ideas. They just weren't implemented all that great. That's not helped by the fact that it was utilizing an ancient engine with some pretty shaders smacked on top. But the gameplay was good, for a bit. It just got boring after a while. Unlike something like Half-Life that keeps you interested all the way through and has some variety, DNF goes on too long, which is not something I thought I'd be complaining about in a game. If you're going to make a long game, you've got to know how to keep it interesting. The worst offender in DNF are those freaking annoying Big Foot truck sequences. There was just too too much.

Other than that, I still love the feeling of a long adventure or journey towards a goal (they totally ripped off HL2 and its episodes with the giant alien portal in the sky at all times that you were racing towards, similar to the the Combine citadel). I haven't gotten to the DLC again, which I had said in the past felt much better compared to the regular campaign. We'll see if that holds up when I get to it. I'm in the latter parts of the dam now....I think.

I think a lot of people are taking the jokes way too seriously. The world of DNF is an incredibly tounge-in-cheek whacky and silly parody of real life. Like Family Guy or South Park or something. You can't take ANYTHING that's said in the game seriously in any way shape or form. I don't really understand why people get offended by it for that reason. Is that style true to Duke, though? No, I don't believe so. So it's understandable why people were put off by the crazy jokes, but it wasn't meant to be taken that way. I don't think they're too far, I just think they're stupid and badly written. But the main problem with that, of course, is that the entire focus and direction they took DNF in to begin with was a mistake and all the bad came from that choice in direction.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 09 November 2014 - 04:18 PM

View PostBalls Of Steel Forever, on 09 November 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

And yes I've played Duke Nukem 3d, so I know he's a tad inappropriate, but Forever went way farther then the standards set by Duke 3d.

DNF went farther because Duke Nukem 3D was the first game to use such innuendo. So DNF went farther to adjust to times, if it were as it was in the 90's DNF would have much less than the average game, and it wouldn't make its point. And Titty City didn't influence my rating, I felt that level was unnecessary to the game. The game is 10/10 because I enjoyed it, you don't have to hide then shoot, you can just shoot. Sure it has regenerating health, only because Duke Nukem is a parody of games, hence it being Ego instead of Health.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 09 November 2014 - 04:14 PM, said:

The worst offender in DNF are those freaking annoying Big Foot truck sequences. There was just too too much.

I loved those parts. :/

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostNever Forgotten, on 08 November 2014 - 06:51 AM, said:

That surprises you? I still play the game, in fact I love the game... better than any Call of Duty, Battlefield, Far Cry, etc. Duke Nukem Forever was amazing.

Gotta disagree with you on that one. Far Cry 3 was really sweet

I still touch DNF from time to time, but the multiplayer is completely horrid because of terrible net code

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 09 November 2014 - 05:04 PM

User is offline   Bloodshot 

The truck sequences felt 1000x times better when i forced them into first person in the demo.

Was bullshit they took out all modding support, I hated DNF upon release (liked the duke burger level though) but upon replaying it i kind of enjoyed it and felt with some better level design and a little more polish (better gore with proper blood splats/better sounds, among other things) it could've been really fun.

Mod support would've made it pretty easy to fix the gameplay qualms I had, and map packs would've fixed some of the poor design choices.

Shame because now it's just deader than dead and forever remembered as a bad game.

ACM was bad sure, but at least they never bothered to lock it down so you have mods that enable welding and replace all aliens with lurkers (fast, challenging AI) in bughunt so that at least had something legitimately good that came out of it unlike DNF.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 09 November 2014 - 06:01 PM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

A lot of stuff was cut out of DNF and that's what it feels like when played. If anyone remembers, there were leaked screenshots of hoverbikes, Pig Cop tanks and more. We came out short on the game and there's no denying that.

View PostNever Forgotten, on 09 November 2014 - 04:22 PM, said:

I loved those parts. :/

This is why your review is terrible...
Do you understand the concept of a "action fps" not walk around interacting with "dildos and whiteboards fps"

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostNever Forgotten, on 09 November 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

DNF went farther because Duke Nukem 3D was the first game to use such innuendo. So DNF went farther to adjust to times, if it were as it was in the 90's DNF would have much less than the average game, and it wouldn't make its point. And Titty City didn't influence my rating, I felt that level was unnecessary to the game. The game is 10/10 because I enjoyed it, you don't have to hide then shoot, you can just shoot. Sure it has regenerating health, only because Duke Nukem is a parody of games, hence it being Ego instead of Health.

It didn't need to adjust to the times, Duke Nukem is a parody of 80's action heroes, not a parody of modern ones.
Every Old School or arena Fps isn't cover based, Doom, quake, Unreal, Rage,(maybe not rage I can't really remember that one's MP) the list goes on,
(although there hasn't been a new old school or arena fps that has taken off from a niche area of the market,(other then reboots or sequels) there has been good ones though such as Red Eclipse)
it just wasn't anything new for me having played Duke 3d and experiencing the character already. It's an enjoyable experience, yes, but not anything on the level of its forefather or similar titles, of which i said there is a miniscule amount especially on consoles.
Which is why the multiplayer was a breath of fresh air on my ps3, of which the only other arena fps I can think of on the ps3 that released was UT3 in 07. And of course, Rage,(I don't really know)(it's an id game, so I was guessing) a bad wolfenstein game, and the Doom 3 bfg rerelease which turned doom 3 into steaming pile of dog poo, I played and beat it on pc, and it was 1000x better... all I have to say.
Also FC3 Blood Dragon which isn't one at all, but worth a mention.
There wasn't that much in the way of choice in the old school fps or the arena fps section on consoles.
P.S. To those that say "why don't you play more on pc" My Pc sucks, badly, I'm hoping to upgrade it soon.

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 09 November 2014 - 07:49 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostNever Forgotten, on 09 November 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

No hiding then shooting? Duke has practically zero health and has to hide behind things all the time! And the Ego is not "ego". You can't just slap a different name on regen health and call it a parody. It's not a parody, it's the exact same thing everyone else is doing.
True ego health would be something like in Manhattan project btw, where you actually get ego back every time you kill enemies.

I also think you're missing the point about the point. DNF relied way too much on boobs and crude humour. Duke 3D on the other hand, you could take away the babes (and possibly the one-liners as well), and you'd still have a game that's just as fun as it was before. If DNF needs to "push the limits" on sex and bad taste to make a point, rather than the actual gameplay, then there's a problem.

@Kathy, Total biscuit gave his opinions of the game during the fight on the top of Duke Burger; i.e more or less half way through the game, and after the Duke Burger platforming sections.
Btw I disagree about the "epic adventure" thing. The whole game is spent going to the Duke Dome and then Hoover Damn. That's not epic, that's dull. Although it does sit nicely with DNF's level design; from A to B to C.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options