• 738 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Post Thread

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Everybody knows that everything Star Wars not touched by George Lucas is better than anything touched by George Lucas.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

View PostJimmy, on 16 October 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

Everybody knows that everything Star Wars not touched by George Lucas is better than anything touched by George Lucas.

Technically, that is not entirely true. I think the prevailing thought is that Lucas had nothing to do with the Holiday Special.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I wouldn't be surprised if he had EVERYTHING to do with it. It's full of cutesy kid shit, Lucas' favourite!

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I don't think Lucas involvement is a bad thing. He was behind the original trilogy afterall. The problem is too much of his involvement.

User is offline   X-Vector 

I'm not an expert on the man, but I think the trouble began when he started to believe the "Star Wars = George Lucas" hype himself.
There are a lot more people responsible for the artistic and commercial success of the original trilogy than just the bearded one and it seems to me that part of the problem of the prequels (and retroactively the OT) was that everything had to comply to Lucas' 'vision'.

• I have the power!

His greatest weakness, as I see it, is writing. He has interesting ideas and story, but when it comes to putting those things into words spoken by actors, even classically trained actors with academy awards, it all just comes out as crap.

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostJimmy, on 16 October 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

pretty much when disney aquired it, i was glad george lucas couldnt fuck it up more

if disney fucks it who cares, it was destined to be fucked in the end it seems

• I have the power!

What Disney has done is a far cry from "fuck" Star Wars.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View Postzykov eddy, on 14 October 2014 - 06:08 AM, said:

I'd love to buy 32x to play Doom on it, it's one of my favorite ports of the game. Too bad, I also need to buy Genesis to match the region, and in total, the price is just too much for me. Getting Knuckles Chaotix would also be nice, but the price for cartridge alone is ridiculous.

The 32X takes whatever region the MD/Genesis is set for. It doesn't care.

Try getting region switches installed, or have me track down a Genesis and mail it you.

User is offline   Mark 

No need to get all in a huff about those pics and what they show. They are just leaked assets from the Starwars TC I'm working on. :)

User is offline   Fox 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• I have the power!

:) :P :) :D

But I think I've seen that last guy before. I also know where that is (I've been there).

User is offline   Mark 

What is the point of the pics? Figure out who they are and what they have in common? I don't recognize any of them.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 18 October 2014 - 01:22 PM

User is offline   Fox 

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Fox: 18 October 2014 - 01:28 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

LMAO I see it :)

• I have the power!

View PostMark., on 18 October 2014 - 01:22 PM, said:

What is the point of the pics? Figure out who they are and what they have in common? I don't recognize any of them.

I'll tell you what they have in common: They aren't hot women.

User is offline   Mark 

I still don't know who they are but after opening the spoiler I see the joke.

User is offline   Fox 

Evidence that psychiatry is a pseudoscience:

It's not testable or falsifiable. These are the most basic principles behind science, you must have empirically that something exists but also it's a requirement to have a way to prove it's non-existence. It's the same reason God is not considered a subject of science. This alone should be more than enough to give psychiatry a pseudoscience label. Mental ilness are arbitrarily invented from a menu of human behaviors and emotions.

It does't seems to be work. Mental illness have only grow over time, not shrunk. Psychiatry popularity is based on necessity, not efficacy. It's only used because people need something to "heal" their minds, anything. It's the same as lie detectors, they are so popular not because they work, but because the police need a way to know if a person is lying or not.

There are no tests. No bloods tests, urine tests, saliva tests, brain scans, no nothing. It all depends on the terapist word.

All emotions are symptons of a disorder. Name a emotion and there is a disorder for it. Bored? ADHD. Shyness? Autism. Sadness and happiness? Bipolar disorder.

It's based on social norms, not on concrete evidence. The best example of this was homossexuality. Decades ago homossexuality was considered a mental ilness. What was the evidence for such? Or better asking, which evidence came to be for it to stop being considered a disorder? The answer for both question is none. What changed was society view over homossexuality. Which basically means all evidence there was for it to be recognized as a genuine disorder was a blank paper.

The symptoms and the illness are the same thing in psychiatry. Ever heard the expression “treating the problem rather than the symptom”? It's not applicable on psychiatry. Imagine if you heard that in medicine fatigue would now be considered a disease?

It accepts any bullshits people ask for. Parents take their children to terapists because they don't stay quiet in class. If someone called a mechanic to check his car because there was a rise in gas price, that person would be laughed off. But give the same wit while seeking terapy and it's okay.

The definion of a disorders (aka symptoms) are drastically changed to cover a larger portion of the population. Imagine if it was announced that excessive vomiting would now be considered to be a form of AIDS (this is not an exaggerated analogy). You wouldn't accept that, AIDS means to be infected with HIV virus, anything else is not AIDS. But apparently that's normal in psychiatry. Autism is probably the best example of this, going from something as simply as psychotic reactions in children to an umbrella term that covers a series of symptoms. But don't think more symptons would mean more pricision, you don't need to have all of them, just a few. So you can be "half-pregnant", at least in psychiatry.

All these points make psychiatry bear little resemblance to medicine and look a lot more like homeopathy, magnetic therapy, aromatherapy, reflexology, etc.

By the way, have you heard of the relatively new sexual interest/arousal disorder? If you are not horny, it's time to see a doctor.

This post has been edited by Fox: 18 October 2014 - 07:31 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostFox, on 18 October 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

Evidence that psychiatry is a pseudoscience:

whatever you say xenu

Posted Image

the universe is a symptom of the big bang. it's not testable or falsifiable; therefore the universe does not exist.

This post has been edited by Forge: 18 October 2014 - 08:23 PM

User is offline   Fox 

The symptoms do exist, they are just not evidence of an ilness.

User is offline   Forge 

everyone on the planet perceives reality and processes the information in the exact same way?
either they choose to behave out of the normal or they choose to conform; either way they are in control?
i bet some serial killer profilers would disagree with your theory.

and there's no such thing as a brain development disorder or any other physical, chemical, or neurological defect that can happen to the brain?
i bet there are some neurologists that would disagree with your theory.

as for monitoring brain activity; it's still a relatively new and developing tool. You can't throw it under the bus because it isn't perfected yet. That's like saying there was no such thing as micro-organisms until the microscope was developed.

here's and excerpt from a paper published on sciencedirect

"Brain electrical activity associated with inhibitory control was recorded in ten ADHD and ten healthy children using high density event related potentials (ERPs) during the Stop Signal Task (SST). SST is a two-choice reaction time (RT) paradigm, in which subjects are required, on 25% of the trials, to withdraw their response upon presentation of a “Stop Signal”. In the healthy children, the ERP evoked by the Stop Signal differed for successful inhibitions (SI) compared to failed inhibitions (FI), with greater amplitude of a positive wave peaking around 320 msec over anterior medial frontal scalp (P3a). Such success-related P3a activity was significantly reduced in amplitude in the ADHD group. In addition, the error related negativity (ERN), a sharp negative wave that is present selectively on error trials in choice RT experiments, peaking 100 ms after motor onset, and distributed over anterior medial frontal scalp, was also markedly reduced in the ADHD group. The scalp distribution of the group differences in P3a and the ERN is consistent with a reduction of activity of sources in dorsal anterior cingulate cortex (dACC), suggesting a global deficit in cognitive control operations subserved by dACC in ADHD."

an actual laboratory neurological study which indicates there is a control problem with children diagnosed with ADHD compared to children considered normal. (I'm not spending $35 to purchase the entire study.)

Do we need to over diagnose and load them up on medication? Probably not, the human race has survived for quite some time without modern medicine.

This post has been edited by Forge: 19 October 2014 - 05:52 AM

User is offline   Fox 

View PostForge, on 19 October 2014 - 05:48 AM, said:

everyone on the planet perceives reality and processes the information in the exact same way?
either they choose to behave out of the normal or they choose to conform; either way they are in control?
i bet some serial killer profilers would disagree with your theory.

and there's no such thing as a brain development disorder or any other physical, chemical, or neurological defect that can happen to the brain?
i bet there are some neurologists that would disagree with your theory.

Yes, some people do have troubling minds, however that doesn't prove psychiatry is not bullshit. The same way, some people have back pain, which doesn't prove quiropractic treatments are not bullshit.

There is absolutely no evidence that in the long run psychiatry is helping people. In fact it seems to be the opposite, diagnosing people with all sorts of disorders only makes their lives worse.

as for monitoring brain activity; it's still a relatively new and developing tool. You can't throw it under the bus because it isn't perfected yet. That's like saying there was no such thing as micro-organisms until the microscope was developed.

Psychiatric disorders are an abstract concept, they will never be observed. That said, however, the point is that a specialty that doesn't have proper testing shouldn't be allowed. In the practice a psychiatrist has the same level of precision of a medium.

here's and excerpt from a paper published on sciencedirect

(...)

an actual laboratory neurological study which indicates there is a control problem with children diagnosed with ADHD compared to children considered normal. (I'm not spending $35 to purchase the entire study.)

Here is a study that shows gays have different brains:

http://www.theguardi...ence.psychology
Posted Image

So I guess that proves homossexuality is a disorder? No, it just shows that different people are... in fact different.

This post has been edited by Fox: 19 October 2014 - 07:36 AM

User is offline   Forge 

psychiatry is no different than any other science; it's the observation of behavior.

astrologists do the same thing - why do galaxies rotate the way they do, like a record on a turntable where everything is spinning together, instead of like a solar system where the closer the object is to the center the faster it revolves. They call it dark matter which translated into common speak as 'we don't know yet'. pseudoscience.

blame society for what is considered the norm and the ability to function properly in said society instead of the study of behavioral patterns and how they're quantified as 'normal'. Some people can't focus enough to function 'properly' by social standards. It effects how they can interact with their environment, their ability to learn and remember, and their interaction with other people. Homosexuals act like everyone else, but they have a propensity for their own gender, so it doesn't really have any bearing on how they function. Serial killers have certain behavioral patterns that aren't deemed socially acceptable. If going around randomly murdering people was fine by social standards then these people would be considered normal.

are you trying to raise your thetan level? That requires money, not some kind of social enlightenment.

This post has been edited by Forge: 19 October 2014 - 07:42 AM

User is offline   Fox 

Psychiatry is not like other sciences. Psychiatry is purely subjective. You yourself provided a good explanation on how it's based on moral measurement.

View PostForge, on 19 October 2014 - 07:41 AM, said:

Homosexuals act like everyone else, but they have a propensity for their own gender, so it doesn't really have any bearing on how they function.

And why the fuck psychiatry, a "science", seek a cure for it?

User is offline   Forge 

View PostFox, on 19 October 2014 - 08:21 AM, said:

Psychiatry is not like other sciences. Psychiatry is purely subjective. You yourself provided a good explanation on how it's based on moral measurement.

And why the fuck psychiatry, a "science", seek a cure for it?

studying how the brain functions in correlation to how a person behaves is just as much a science as studying why galaxies rotate the way they do. Just like any other science it involves educated guess work and is not infallible until further evidence is discovered.

by my example of brain patterns in ADHD patients (and i could provide some for serial killers), and your example of homosexuals, there's evidence that the way the brain is 'wired' and which sections are overactive and which lobes are atrophied dictates how a person functions and behaves.

Behavior is not 'subjective'. Just about everyone with bi-polar disorder, or OCD, or schizophrenia, etc., etc., all behave very similar to other people diagnosed with the same disorder. What society deems normal is subjective.

Why seek a cure (treatment)? Why try to find out why galaxies rotate the way they do? Why try to find a cure for HIV? Why are there dietitians that study caloric intake in an attempt to develope the best possible diet for the general population when everyone's metabolism is different?

Because people like studying things and finding solutions to problems. That sounds like science.

This post has been edited by Forge: 19 October 2014 - 08:55 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Those brain comparisons from Fox remind of maybe last year or two a serious study was released that showed conservatives and liberals are "wired" differently. I don't remember any of the details. Whether true or not it wasn't a big enough of a deal other than to chuckle and move on. Its something I already suspected.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 19 October 2014 - 08:54 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMark., on 19 October 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

Those brain comparisons from Fox remind of maybe last year or two a serious study was released that showed conservatives and liberals are "wired" differently. I don't remember any of the details. Whether true or not it wasn't a big enough of a deal other than to chuckle and move on. Its something I already suspected.

They did a similar study on people who are religious versus the non-religious.
Something about religious people having a thicker cortex and more activity in certain regions.

religious people have more activity in the limbic system (which controls emotion)
non-religious have more activity in the prefrontal cortex (which is more analytical and emotion suppressing)

This post has been edited by Forge: 19 October 2014 - 09:05 AM

User is offline   Fox 

View PostForge, on 19 October 2014 - 08:44 AM, said:

studying how the brain functions in correlation to how a person behaves is just as much a science as studying why galaxies rotate the way they do. Just like any other science it involves educated guess work and is not infallible until further evidence is discovered.

Don't confuse psyquiatry with neuroscience.

Neuroscience = astronomy
Psychiatry = astrology

by my example of brain patterns in ADHD patients (and i could provide some for serial killers), and your example of homosexuals, there's evidence that the way the brain is 'wired' and which sections are overactive and which lobes are atrophied dictates how a person functions and behaves.

Psychiatry couldn't be more subjective, the diagnose is based on a conversation.

Behavior is not 'subjective'. Just about everyone with bi-polar disorder, or OCD, or schizophrenia, etc., etc., all behave very similar to other people diagnosed with the same disorder. What society deems normal is subjective.

Yes it is, these are things that cannot be measured.

Why seek a cure (treatment)? Why try to find out why galaxies rotate the way they do? Why try to find a cure for HIV? Why are there dietitians that study caloric intake in an attempt to develope the best possible diet for the general population when everyone's metabolism is different?

As I pointed out, there is no evidence that psychiatry is helping people in the long term, thus it's not trying to find a cure. In fact it could be said that psychiatry job is to find ilness, not cure.

Because people like studying things and finding solutions to problems. That sounds like science.

Science doens't exist to solve problems. That's religion. Science exists to verify the validity of knowledge with experiments and reproducibility of results. Basically the opposite of psychiatry, by definition. But my apology, I know science is often used in a broad way, like political science.

This post has been edited by Fox: 19 October 2014 - 09:59 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostFox, on 19 October 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

Don't confuse psyquiatry with neuroscience.

you are. you're basically denying that conditions, symptoms, and behavioral patterns exist, and that they can be observed.
I'm merely claiming there's evidence that the way the brain patterns work correlates to behavioral patterns

Psychiatry couldn't be more subjective, the diagnose is based on a conversation.

so are dark matter, dark energy, big bang theories, quantum physics, etc, just about any science, etc., etc, but you're not complaining about them (yet)

Yes it is, these are things that cannot be measured.

behavioral patterns and brain wave patterns can be measured. you might not be able to put behavioral patterns in a nice neat little mathematical box, but i've already mentioned that people diagnosed with certain conditions all share very similar perceptions and behaviors. i disagree with your theory.

As I pointed out, there is no evidence that psychiatry is helping people in the long term, thus it's not trying to find a cure. In fact it could be said that psychiatry job is to find ilness, not cure.

i'm not defending quackery and i'm not on a vendetta to set any social norms., but i will point out that behavioral patterns and brain wave patterns are real things.

Science doens't exist to solve problems.

fah! that's pure rubbish. Science (be it medical, behavioral, astrological, chemical, quantum, etc., etc.) is all about solving problems and getting answers.

This post has been edited by Forge: 19 October 2014 - 12:34 PM

Share this topic:

• 738 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options