Duke4.net Forums: I Met Charlie Wiederhold! - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I Met Charlie Wiederhold!  "(Former 3DR, current Gearbox employee)"

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

I'm contemplating whether to put this as a news item on the front page of the website, but I don't want to appear as if I'm bragging my guts out. :)

It is Friday the September 29th of 2006--a crummy day to say the least. Going by the same shit different day philosophy, I go to school, come home, and start my online routine. Little do I know that I am in for a treat...

"I've been in LA this entire week," says Charlie Wiederhold, on ICQ, as I try hard to hold back from responding with an amateur "OMFG" type of reply. I happen to live in Los Angeles, and saw this as the perfect opportunity to meet the man himself.

I invited Charlie over to my apartment and we enjoyed some rum while engaging in a conversation about all there is to know in regards to the game industry--or at least a good big chunk of it. Oh, and he was kind enough to sign my 3D Realms games, which totally ****ing ruled. B)

It makes me sorry that I may not see Charlie for a while, but meeting him definitely opened some new gateways in my life. I probably learned more in my six or seven "live" hours with Charlie than I will ever learn this whole school year--at least by my own standards. Come to think of it, tonight was probably the highlight of 2006 for me. Thank you Charlie!

http://www.duke4.org...ff/charlie1.jpg
http://www.duke4.org...ff/charlie2.jpg
http://www.duke4.org...ff/charlie3.jpg

PS. I was so anxious to make this post, but I was waiting for my brother to upload the pictures he took of us with his camera. It was incredibly frustrating, because I felt I couldn't share this awesome experience without attaching the images to my post. Luckily, the images were e-mailed to me on time. B)

User is offline   Cerberus_e 

The rum is obviously to make him reveal info about DNF when he's drunk.

User is offline   ZaphodB 

Yatta, on Sep 30 2006, 10:53 AM, said:

It is Sunday the September 29th of 2006--a crummy day to say the least. 

Um, today is Saturday , September 30th, 2006, so if YESTERDY was Sunday, OMG, we've gone into a TIME WARP!!!!! TIME IS MOVING BACKWARDS!!!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist B)

That's way cool Yatta. You are now the envy of the forums :)

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

I'm still speechless.. B)

:)

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

ZaphodB, on Sep 30 2006, 12:19 PM, said:

Um, today is Saturday , September 30th, 2006, so if YESTERDY was Sunday, OMG, we've gone into a TIME WARP!!!!! TIME IS MOVING BACKWARDS!!!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist  B)

That's way cool Yatta.  You are now the envy of the forums  :)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fixed and fixed. B)

But you never know... it COULD have beeen a time warp.

User is offline   ultra tree 85! 

• Honored Donor

Awesome news! I can't believe that you actually got to meet him in person! :)

User is offline   oakman 

WOW! B) just WOW :)

User is offline   St3amb0 

awesome, i guess you two had much fun...your meeting with charlie is indeed a highlight in the last months of DNF-history :)

User is offline   ZaphodB 

Were you nervous, excited, or both? And how about Charlie Weiderhold? Was he excited, nervous, or both? Details man!! We want every detail :)

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

I was excited as hell. As for Charlie, maybe he'll reply when he sees your post. :)

User is offline   kingjolly 

nice apartment.

Soon Yatta will be sleeping in "The Lady" and I's guest bedroom. I can honestly say that it is all made possible by Gearbox sending me out to LA for an extended but ultimately futile business opportunity and an over-enthusiastic Yatta. In the interim time he's endured me attempting to explore the logical conclusions of the Flatland premise and a whole lot of male vs female dynamo contemplation. I hope to not bore him too much. Austin is a pretty easy city to distract people from the overwhelming awfulness of existence so I think we'll be ok. :)

This post has been edited by Wieder: 08 September 2014 - 05:34 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

If it were anyone else necroposting, I would have to explode with irrational rage, but because it is The Wiederholden, I will abstain and merely bow.

Watch out for Yatta in the night. He will diddle.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

What a necropost. In 2006, I hadn't even graduated from high school. :)

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

In September 2006, I was starting middle school.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostWieder, on 07 September 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

Soon Yatta will be sleeping in "The Lady" and I's guest bedroom. I can honestly say that it is all made possible by Gearbox sending me out to LA for an extended but ultimately futile business opportunity and an over-enthusiastic Yatta. In the interim time he's endured me attempting to explore the logical conclusions of the Flatland premise and a whole lot of male vs female dynamo contemplation. I hope to not bore him too much. Austin is a pretty easy city to distract people from the overwhelming awfulness of existence so I think we'll be ok. :)

I've been looking forward to this all month. I can't wait!

It's hard to believe it's been 8 years since the original post in this thread. ;)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: charlie3.jpg

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Eight years later...

Wish you were here!

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 8_years_later.jpg

View PostCommando Nukem, on 08 September 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

If it were anyone else necroposting, I would have to explode with irrational rage, but because it is The Wiederholden, I will abstain and merely bow.

Exploding with rage would have been understood. :)

I hoped the humor value of the past 8 years in context was worth the risk. At that point 75% of my life as a dev had been spent not shipping anything. I honestly didn't realize so many of ya'll were still in middle or high school in 2006. You've been permanently in your early 20s in my mind for the past decade or so, heh.

Happy to no longer wear baseball caps all the time.

That room hasn't changed much at all! Those books in the upper left are still in the exact same position. ;)

This post has been edited by Wieder: 09 September 2014 - 06:19 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostYatta, on 08 September 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

Eight years later...

Wish you were here!

i like the ass poster on the wall

This post has been edited by Forge: 09 September 2014 - 04:47 AM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

The most unlikeliest of pals....Timothy McVeigh and "Gordo" from Lizzie McGuire. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: charlie3.jpg

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

I'm sure Charlie will love to hear you're comparing him to Timothy McVeigh. :)

From that angle it is rather uncanny.

User is offline   IGSRJARMY 

And who exactly is this guy and what makes him so special that a really gay sounding thread is dedicated to him?

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

http://gamingisstupid.com/about/

View PostIGSRJARMY, on 09 September 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

And who exactly is this guy and what makes him so special that a really gay sounding thread is dedicated to him?

A dude who likes to be friends with people who share common interests such as sounding gay at each other.

/hug for decoy prize box...

User is offline   Lunick 

Wieder is awesome :)

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostIGSRJARMY, on 09 September 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

This made me lol. Even if you're trolling. :)

User is offline   IGSRJARMY 

I always troll even when I am not.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options