Duke4.net Forums: DOOM (New Game) - Duke4.net Forums

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DOOM (New Game)

View PostCommando Nukem, on 26 July 2014 - 08:47 AM, said:

Ambient music is a legitimate genre. Also the repetitive use of samples is an unfortunate necessity of the cart size restriction. (The same reason we lost some of the monster and weapon animations on the 64)

Barely, if we're going to diminish what passes as music. Music is a combination of melody and rhythm. Ambient "music" really has neither.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 26 July 2014 - 08:47 AM, said:

Also it's not really aimed at activating your killing mode. It's aimed at getting under your skin and unnerving you. Doom 64 was all about atmospheric horror. Posted Image

That's not what I play Doom for. There's plenty of good survival horror for that; The System Shock series, the Penumbra & Amnesia series, Clive Barker's Undying, amongst others, just on the PC alone. But I will give you that Doom 64 is a very different game perhaps with different intentions from Midway.

This post has been edited by RunningWild: 26 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

User is offline   Bloodshot 

couldn't these be considered ambient music?

I found these to stick in my head pretty easily.

Unless they aren't ambient music

then idk

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 26 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

View PostBloodshot, on 26 July 2014 - 09:09 PM, said:

couldn't these be considered ambient music?

I found these to stick in my head pretty easily.

Unless they aren't ambient music

then idk

Yeah, pretty much, though you could call Quake's music Industrial pretty safely. I don't see how these can get stuck in your head though. You actively hum these? You hear this end-to-end in your head? Seriously?

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View Postgemeaux333, on 26 July 2014 - 05:53 PM, said:

The PC version is the best...
I have the SNES version of DOOM 1 too, and it suffer the 16 bits restrictions : 1 sprite/face for monster and impossibility for them to face another direction or attacking something else, disjointed action from the beginning to the ending , 1 level per episode have been removed , low quality music , impossibility to save a game and you can only begin episode two at level 2 difficulty and episode three at level 3 difficulty ! And even 2 Super-FX chips haven't sufficed to get a satisfactory experience !

....and no floor or ceiling textures, iirc. Still a major feat, that port is- especially considering that people had thought Wolf 3D would be impossible on the SNES!

View PostRunningWild, on 26 July 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

Yeah, pretty much, though you could call Quake's music Industrial pretty safely. I don't see how these can get stuck in your head though. You actively hum these? You hear this end-to-end in your head? Seriously?

From time to time I do...

What, I'm not allowed to like them?

All of diablo's tracks have stretches of notes that are clearly recognizable and it's not like there are songs that you can confuse them with, so....I'm not seeing the issue here

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 27 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

View PostDuke Rocks, on 26 July 2014 - 09:45 PM, said:

....and no floor or ceiling textures, iirc. Still a major feat, that port is- especially considering that people had thought Wolf 3D would be impossible on the SNES!

And there's actually a Wolf3D port for the SNES, too. :P

My first taste of Doom was the PC version. A friend showed me the Wolf3D secret level in Doom 2. I got the SNES version and, while it's quite clunky and severely castrated compared to the original, it was great fun. Later on I got the PC version and played it pure, without source ports for a while (I still had Win98). I don't like playing the wads blind because I spend hours upon hours looking for stuff and lose track of time.

I've never played Doom 64 on the N64, but I played the Absolution port for jDoom with the N64 music pack (which took ages to download because of 56k connection). The music is fantastic, but it fits the art style of that game. I saw footage of Doom 2 being played with the PSX music (also by Aubrey Hodges) and somehow the music doesn't fit the game. It's a very different experience, and a valid one, but, if you're used to the classic MIDIs, you'll find it odd.

User is offline   Idiotska 

Where will you be when id announces that they want 'the BioWare audience?'
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Idiotska: 27 July 2014 - 02:10 AM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 27 July 2014 - 12:49 AM, said:

And there's actually a Wolf3D port for the SNES, too. :P

Yes, I was aware of it! Guess I didn't make that too clear in my last post. I even owned it at one point, too. :P

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostRunningWild, on 26 July 2014 - 09:02 PM, said:

Barely, if we're going to diminish what passes as music. Music is a combination of melody and rhythm. Ambient "music" really has neither.

For the sake of tidiness, it falls under music. It's certainly not sound effects. It's intended to take up the role that music would. One can, of course, argue the minutiae of that, and that's totally fine.

View PostRunningWild, on 26 July 2014 - 09:02 PM, said:

That's not what I play Doom for. There's plenty of good survival horror for that; The System Shock series, the Penumbra & Amnesia series, Clive Barker's Undying, amongst others, just on the PC alone. But I will give you that Doom 64 is a very different game perhaps with different intentions from Midway.

Fair and true enough. The community does tend to get decidedly split over whether Doom is one or the other, or even capable of doing both effectively. Some feel it's at it's best when it's the action slaughter fest with hints of atmosphere, dread, and disturbing imagery. Other's feel its great for a nerve wracking tension building slug fest with the devil that emphasizes the demonic and horror elements. Certainly, I think both are actually quite effective. Doom 64, was a huge childhood experience for me. I'll always love the original Doom like a member of my family, as it's been there as long as I can remember anything else being there, but my heart is big enough for both types, and in this instance, that music aimed to create a sense of eerie otherworldly reality. You're in the muck of disturbing and alien worlds. Doom circa 93 was all about being a 1990s badass super warrior. Doom 64 was about taking that badass and putting him into a truly bent and twisted reality. Honestly, I wish Doom 3 had been able to strike that balance closer to what Doom 64 had.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 29 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

To get a trully tremendous with DOOM 64, you have to get the "EX" version !

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 27 July 2014 - 08:47 PM, said:

Man, I watched this intro so many times hoping there was a secret level to access it or that the game had AI marines.
I watched it so much I realized the Cyberdemon is actually aiming at the camera and firing rockets the entire duration of the video.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostHulkNukem, on 28 July 2014 - 02:03 PM, said:

I watched it so much I realized the Cyberdemon is actually aiming at the camera and firing rockets the entire duration of the video.

Can't be unseen.

User is offline   Ahcruna 

Is that running on an emulator or the PC TC/port? I remember the camera following a marine at the end, and then watching him explode. :P

[EDIT]

Also, the true Doom 3 in my opinion :P just such an amazing gem.

This post has been edited by Ahcruna: 29 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

• Judge Mental

View PostAhcruna, on 29 July 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

Is that running on an emulator or the PC TC/port? I remember the camera following a marine at the end, and then watching him explode. :P

That is the aforementioned Doom 64 Ex. http://doom64ex.wordpress.com/

User is offline   pjVgt 

View PostIdiotska, on 27 July 2014 - 02:09 AM, said:

Where will you be when id announces that they want 'the BioWare audience?'
Posted Image

Sorry I don't get it. I may be old but I remember they made Baldur's Gate which was pretty good. What it has to do with extremely fabulous space marine and gay looking demons?

User is offline   Jblade 

Because they're adding non-hetero love interests into DA:I and that's cool but they're marketing the shit out of it which makes the entire thing look like a shady attempt to sell more rather than any real genuine desire to include minorities in a game. Also the characters look terrible.

Also Dragon Age 2 was terrible, ME3's reception was very mixed and Star wars TOR isn't doing too hot from what I understand.

This post has been edited by James: 30 July 2014 - 01:03 AM

View PostBloodshot, on 26 July 2014 - 10:31 PM, said:

From time to time I do...

What, I'm not allowed to like them?

No, you can't like them. :( Actually, I don't care. Like whatever.

The problem is the bastardization of what constitutes the term music, but I agree with it being more of the general category of sonic backdrop than anything else, as Commando Nukem said. But let's not kid ourselves and call this the classical music of the future or "melodic", and I understand this is not necessarily it's intention. I consider it similar to modern art; pro-minimalism. If the games and the presentation were all like this, they would not garner the same level of attention, or, at the very least, I doubt we'd be here talking about them. Mind you, I'm not pro-complexity in music or art (EG - graphics) for it's own sake either. I'm just saying there is a "sweet spot" where complexity and creativity converge, and the original Doom had that across the board, in all respects. I ultimately don't think ad-reductionism and adding inflated and invented meanings are worthwhile forms of critique or priority, which minimalist styles of art and music hinge on. At the very least, I see it as an affront to serious musicians, artists, and composers who put large amounts of time and effort into their craft, and deserve the consideration, praise, and recognition.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 27 July 2014 - 08:47 PM, said:

Honestly, I wish Doom 3 had been able to strike that balance closer to what Doom 64 had.

All of what I've said taken into account, I own Doom 64 and, quite frankly, I'd rather play that than Doom 3.

This post has been edited by RunningWild: 30 July 2014 - 01:50 AM

User is offline   Idiotska 

View PostpjVgt, on 30 July 2014 - 12:10 AM, said:

Sorry I don't get it. I may be old but I remember they made Baldur's Gate which was pretty good. What it has to do with extremely fabulous space marine and gay looking demons?

The BioWare that made Baldur's Gate is long gone, friend. Just take a look at all the stuff they have for Dragon Age: Inquisition so far. Perhaps I should make a thread about it.

View PostRunningWild, on 30 July 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

No, you can't like them. :( Actually, I don't care. Like whatever.

The problem is the bastardization of what constitutes the term music, but I agree with it being more of the general category of sonic backdrop than anything else, as Commando Nukem said. But let's not kid ourselves and call this the classical music of the future or "melodic", and I understand this is not necessarily it's intention. I consider it similar to modern art; pro-minimalism. If the games and the presentation were all like this, they would not garner the same level of attention, or, at the very least, I doubt we'd be here talking about them. Mind you, I'm not pro-complexity in music or art (EG - graphics) for it's own sake either. I'm just saying there is a "sweet spot" where complexity and creativity converge, and the original Doom had that across the board, in all respects. I ultimately don't think ad-reductionism and adding inflated and invented meanings are worthwhile forms of critique or priority, which minimalist styles of art and music hinge on. At the very least, I see it as an affront to serious musicians, artists, and composers who put large amounts of time and effort into their craft, and deserve the consideration, praise, and recognition.

I don't really see how that applies to Diablo's music though. It does to Quake 1 for the most part, but Diablo's music is plenty complex. They are songs - they simply are focused on sounding dark. This is even evident in most of diablo's 1's music where there the first part of the tracks sound like music with dark themes, and then the second part is ambience.

I don't really see how they'd be considered minimalistic, they are anything but, especially when compared with the ambient music of Diablo 2 or Quake 1 which on the flipside are extremely basic ambient tracks for the most part

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 30 July 2014 - 09:21 AM

• Judge Mental

View PostRunningWild, on 30 July 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

All of what I've said taken into account, I own Doom 64 and, quite frankly, I'd rather play that than Doom 3.

As an aside, if they ever take another shot at Doom movie i'd hope they would strike a balance closer to D64 in that regard as well. IE like this:

Yeah, it's shameless self promotion.

Althought all the qualities of the movie, the scenario have nothing to do with the game, because the game is all about hell creatures from the hell dimension invading Mars and Earth, not about the 37th chromosome :( !

TBH I think the movie pissed off the fans more because it bastardized the lore than because of its artistic quality. I love the cheese in it.

But when you see the FPS moment of the movie, you think the game should have been like that :( !

I guess DOOM 3 was too much oriented Survival Horror, when in DOOM 1 and 2 it was about cleaning entire rooms with the most powerfull weapons you have...

View Postgemeaux333, on 04 August 2014 - 09:56 AM, said:

But when you see the FPS moment of the movie, you think the game should have been like that :( !

I guess DOOM 3 was too much oriented Survival Horror, when in DOOM 1 and 2 it was about cleaning entire rooms with the most powerfull weapons you have...

That's why I don't like Doom 3... I don't like survival horror games. Well, at least I don't like *playing* through them. :(

User is offline   Ahcruna 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 29 July 2014 - 10:04 AM, said:

That is the aforementioned Doom 64 Ex. http://doom64ex.wordpress.com/

I checked it out and it was pretty awesome. I thank you for the link. :(

User is offline   Cage 

I think if they would make most of the movie like the first person sequence, it would be pretty kick-ass. :(

Even with mutants. Meh.

User is offline   t800 

View PostCage, on 06 August 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

I think if they would make most of the movie like the first person sequence, it would be pretty kick-ass. :(

Even with mutants. Meh.

Well, that is mostly the only scene I remember from whole film. :( Thanks to it I got very intrigued by this unique concept of film taken from first person view.

Few years ago I stumbled upon video at YouTube, which imo looked very promising, but unfornately got no continuation. It looks bit inspired by Half-Life 2 as its theme/setting seems similar and it even uses some of its sound effects but I wouldnt call it rip-off and for amatuer short film it looks well done and pretty enjoyable.

I tried to search for other films taken from this point of view, but they are very scarce, so do you know any other similar films?

This post has been edited by t800: 11 August 2014 - 04:36 AM

User is offline   Malgon 

Doom is listed on Amazon as coming December 31st, 2015. More than likely it's just a placeholder, but interesting nonetheless.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

That's more than a year away. Where's my fehkin demo I was promised on steam?

User is offline   ReaperMan 

WID

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options