Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

That may not be true. It really depends on the level of detail put in to them. Like I suggested on the Duke player model, he has no individual fingers. Plus, given that they were designed literally to be posed and then screen grabbed, they could be ridiculously high poly, and not suitable for gameplay. People think Polymer chugs now, just wait! Posted Image

If that model is poly based(which it might not be) and greater then say 200k it wouldn't be that hard to make a low res version of that mesh, now a days it isn't unheard of to have close up models(e.g. player weapons, and player charectors) to be greater then 80k, which god willing those assets would be under that B).

What ever the format, it would be awesome to have those source assets anyway if they still exist B).

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 06 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postgerolf, on 05 May 2014 - 07:02 PM, said:

Everything points to a Glock 17 that has been converted to full auto (like the Glock 18).

But yeah it is pretty fat for a Glock, unless they edited the sprites on purpose to look that way.

How the weapon functions in game has nothing to do with what it was visually based off of, though. The ejection port instantly gives away that it's not a Glock model of any sort.

View PostBam050196, on 05 May 2014 - 07:06 PM, said:

I recall hearing that they mirrored the handgun also. Which is why the bullet casings eject on the left side.

Of course. Guns with the ejection ports on the left are very rare and mainly made for left handed shooters who can afford such customizations. You don't want a hot shell casing flying in your face, but in a game it looks cooler.

View PostFox, on 06 May 2014 - 08:42 AM, said:

*snip*

Based on this frame it's not hard to tell it's a 3D model.

Looking at older versions, the Ripper, RPG, Pipebomb and Freezethrower are all 3D models slightly redrawn. And there is no way they could have made the lighting of the Shrinker firing. B)

I dunno about the Devastator, but the Mighty Boot is likely a photography.

You may be correct. I've read recently that the Mighty Boot was photography. I believe it was Stephen Hornback's leg. One of the guys from the office anyway.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostJimmy, on 06 May 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

How the weapon functions in game has nothing to do with what it was visually based off of, though. The ejection port instantly gives away that it's not a Glock model of any sort.

Technically, i think that the person who made the pistol in Duke 3d didn't know how a handgun works, as it has some odd characteristics.

But, while we are on the subject i still think Duke should switch over to this as his main gun.

Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostJimmy, on 05 May 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

Was the pistol based off a real gun? I've always been interested in that. A lot of people say it's a Glock, but it's obviously not. It kind of looks like a Hi-Point C9 9mm. But if we had the actual digitization footage, that would help a lot.

View PostJimmy, on 06 May 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

it resembles a Sig Sauer P226 from what i can see

This post has been edited by Forge: 06 May 2014 - 07:44 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostReaperMan, on 06 May 2014 - 07:07 PM, said:

But, while we are on the subject i still think Duke should switch over to this as his main gun.

*snip*

geez. no need for the RPG any more

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostForge, on 06 May 2014 - 07:11 PM, said:

geez. no need for the RPG any more

It fires .50 AE thats a mans weapon. B)

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 06 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostReaperMan, on 06 May 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

In before it turns out that Duke prefers 9mm B)

Technically, i think that the person who made the pistol in Duke 3d didn't know how a handgun works, as it has some odd characteristics.

It's amazing to me how many artists try to model/animate characters that are using guns and have never fired or looked at weapon before.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostReaperMan, on 06 May 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

it's an .88 magnum. it shoots through schools.
Posted Image

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Posted Image
Lee Jackson confirmed that the song played in the D3d Beta video TX posted is itsgreen.mid

Spectrum is Green.

I've never fired a gun, unless you count that illegal air cannon which I'd really rather not discuss, but I suspect Duke's pistol would be problematic. Those bullet casings would be hot and as they eject that way would land on Duke and burn him... Maybe he's just so badass he doesnt care. Personally I suspect the pistol was designed the way it was to show off, it looks way better than the Doom pistol from a technical perspective to begin with, but actually seeing it animate and the casings fly out was likely a relatively new thing in 1996, I remember how impressed I used to be by that and the fact that bullet holes appeared in walls if you shot them (then I would run out of ammo and die).

Also, how many other weapons were realistic? That freezer certainly wasn't, or the expander, shrinker and the devastator simply wouldn't work in real life as it would be too heavy and probably knock you over backwards if you tried to fire it like Duke does. I suspect their main priority was coming up with a cool starting weapon and not making a realistic one.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 06 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostForge, on 06 May 2014 - 07:07 PM, said:

it resembles a Sig Sauer P226 from what i can see

The only problem is the pistol in the game doesn't have a hammer. The lack of a hammer and the odd placement of the ejection port as well as the fatness of the gun are what lead me to believe it's a Hi-Point C9. That's also a really cheap gun to buy. Though I suspect Fox's theory of it being a 3D model composite of a handgun is very likely.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Some models of sig have an internal hammer. Flatbacks, oh-ho!

Though 3D model is more likely in this case, Probably had the hands posed with something silly like a toilet paper roll in the fist and then laid the 3D model over it and added some shade.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostHigh Treason, on 06 May 2014 - 09:04 PM, said:

I suspect Duke's pistol would be problematic. Those bullet casings would be hot and as they eject that way would land on Duke and burn him...

with the pistol, not really. the casings actually eject quite high and several feet away - even on side-ejection port models.
The "left-handed" shotgun on the other hand could be an issue with case ejection

View PostJimmy, on 06 May 2014 - 09:55 PM, said:

The only problem is the pistol in the game doesn't have a hammer. The lack of a hammer and the odd placement of the ejection port as well as the fatness of the gun are what lead me to believe it's a Hi-Point C9. That's also a really cheap gun to buy. Though I suspect Fox's theory of it being a 3D model composite of a handgun is very likely.

i don't think it's a completely real gun at all.
It has characteristics of a Sig and the Sig has been used by the u.s. navy seals and special forces over the standard beretta model for a few decades now, so that may be where it was inspired from,
Posted Image
but - i'm not familiar with any model of 9mm or .45 that have that kind of flaring/widening or design pattern right above the light/laser mount.
from a technical standpoint, it doesn't look like the weapon should even be functional because of that flaring. could be the angle of observation, but it seems like the slide would be locked in place.

View PostReaperMan, on 06 May 2014 - 07:07 PM, said:

pretty much this^

This post has been edited by Forge: 07 May 2014 - 06:21 AM

User is offline   ryche 

Some pretty cool stuff being shown off in here.

• Honored Donor

So the bar code on Duke's hand in lameduke, is there any documentation that explains that?

And did the lameduke melee weapon ever have a version without a glove or was it scrapped quickly?

Wonder if there's a MIDI version of the Grabbag theme from the Atomic CD, as available on 3D Realms' website? ftp://ftp.3drealms.c...isc/grabbag.zip

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I haven't seen the stun baton thing without a glove yet, but it did survive pretty late into development (cut a few months before the shareware release it looks like).

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View Postgerolf, on 07 May 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

So the bar code on Duke's hand in lameduke, is there any documentation that explains that?

It would be slightly creepy to find out that originally, he was meant to be some kind of clone, like in the DNF DLC.

• Honored Donor

Maybe it had to do with him being a prisoner in Duke 2.

This post has been edited by gerolf: 07 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

My theory was always something along the lines of it being part of Duke's future dystopian society, a kind of ID Card inked onto your hand.

User is offline   Minigunner 

View PostHigh Treason, on 07 May 2014 - 02:26 PM, said:

Wonder if there's a MIDI version of the Grabbag theme from the Atomic CD, as available on 3D Realms' website? ftp://ftp.3drealms.c...isc/grabbag.zip

It's been considered. Unfortunately, he's too busy with other things to carry it out.

This post has been edited by Minigunner: 07 May 2014 - 04:55 PM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

And did the lameduke melee weapon ever have a version without a glove or was it scrapped quickly?

View PostTerminX, on 07 May 2014 - 03:08 PM, said:

I haven't seen the stun baton thing without a glove yet, but it did survive pretty late into development (cut a few months before the shareware release it looks like).

Perhaps this is yet another semi-obscure Doom reference? The Doomguy's got his gloves on when wielding most weapons, but not when using the fists. In Duke3D it'd be vice versa, with Duke having his gloves on only when using the melee weapon.

View PostHigh Treason, on 07 May 2014 - 03:59 PM, said:

My theory was always something along the lines of it being part of Duke's future dystopian society, a kind of ID Card inked onto your hand.

Or maybe this was to hint at some classified military program in Duke's past?

User is offline   Sangman 

View PostJimmy, on 29 April 2014 - 07:55 PM, said:

TX and Hendricks are helping 3DR ready these things for release.

Then maybe they oughta do more of the helping instead of teasing people with cool shots and stories B)

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

They're basically helping by doing it all, aren't they?

User is offline   Gambini 

First time i see this thread. This is really cool!

User is offline   Forge 

prisoner barcode tattoo from Alien III?

This post has been edited by Forge: 08 May 2014 - 04:19 PM

• Honored Donor

That's what I was thinking. Some sort of prisoner thing.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

This is all really cool, even if not all of it can be shown off. Looking forward to more!

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Forgot to post this here:

The first song is one called "Fragile," I think. It didn't make it into the final game. The second song is a version of XPlasma, while the third song is "Ah Geez!".
By Lee Jackson

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options