Duke4.net Forums: The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge - Duke4.net Forums

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge  "Trivia, Research, etc."

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Okay??? Almost all of Fernando's maps mimic the style of the original level set.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostMrFlibble, on 12 March 2014 - 11:52 AM, said:

3D Action Gamers' Archive used to put up monthly updates of Shadow Warrior screenshots. The Wayback Machine has preserved part of their file archive, with the following screenshot packs:

sw0396.zip
sw0496.zip
sw0596.zip
sw0696.zip
sw0796.zip
sw0896.zip
sw0996.zip
sw1096.zip
sw1196.zip
sw951115.zip
sw961115.zip
swhires.zip
swshots.zip

Those Wayback Machine links are no longer working, so I've attached the files to this post, just in case.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Lunick 

Fred has been posting some great photos to Facebook today but this one takes most of my interest:

Posted Image

Have we seen the Shadow Warrior boss in a shot like that before?

User is offline   Jblade 

No, and I can't say that Duke shot is familiar either. It looks like the battlelord is just standing there without a gun or anything.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I've seen that before. I wish I had one of those boxes... I've got a couple of the earlier design where it was just Apogee, but none of the 3DR ones.

User is offline   Lunick 

The just Apogee ones were blue weren't they?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Don't have it in better quality. The SW screenshot is new to me. Although it has elements we've all seen before. I don't think the Lava Golem had anymore frames than that one we always see.

Posted Image

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

For instance, that's the default pose of the model:

Posted Image

Thought it could be interesting. A YouTube user uploaded records of all self-running demos found in the shareware versions of Duke Nukem 3D:
Duke Nuken 3D Shareware 1.0 - Demo Loop / Attract Mode / Ciclo de Demostración (E1L1, E1L2, E1L3)
Duke Nuken 3D Shareware 1.1 - Demo Loop / Attract Mode / Ciclo de Demostración (E1L2, E1L6, E1L1)
Duke Nuken 3D Shareware 1.3d - Demo Loop / Attract Mode / Ciclo de Demostración (E1L2, E1L6, E1L1)

The same user has recorded demos from other games, but apparently no Duke Nukem 3D registered demos.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 23 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

User is offline   Darkus 

Here's the original demos from Duke Nukem 3D V1.3D registered:

And also from the registered Atomic Edition (V1.5):

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

1.4 also had different demos.

View PostDarkus, on 23 April 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

Here's the original demos from Duke Nukem 3D V1.3D registered:

View PostDarkus, on 23 April 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

And also from the registered Atomic Edition (V1.5):

Yup, I also found those.

Another user recorded the whole of LameDuke demos as well:

User is offline   Darkus 

There is also a demo which can be considered official, but I can't find videos of it.

It's in the downloads section, the filename is cooldemo.zip
http://www.3drealms....ke3d/index.html

The file FILE_ID.DIZ says:
This is a 4 player demo for Duke Nukem 3D
Registered v1.3d. Recorded by 3D Realms on
the last night of development, it's very
silly in places, with 3 Dukes standing on top
of each other, and a Duke can-can dance in
front of a camera!

On a completely unrelated note, it has always annoyed me a bit that Shadow Warrior overuses palette-swapped enemies so much, but then it suddenly occurred to me that maybe this was done on purpose, and the developers were actually making fun of the Palette Swap Ninja trope?

User is offline   Loke 

View PostDarkus, on 23 April 2014 - 11:08 AM, said:

There is also a demo which can be considered official, but I can't find videos of it.

It's in the downloads section, the filename is cooldemo.zip
http://www.3drealms....ke3d/index.html

The file FILE_ID.DIZ says:
This is a 4 player demo for Duke Nukem 3D
Registered v1.3d. Recorded by 3D Realms on
the last night of development, it's very
silly in places, with 3 Dukes standing on top
of each other, and a Duke can-can dance in
front of a camera!

I guess it's this one?

User is offline   Darkus 

View PostLoke, on 23 April 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

I guess it's this one?

Yes, it's this one! I just checked the demo with my V1.3D registered and it's the same. Thanks for finding it!

Check the file date on that demo B)

Spoiler

This post has been edited by High Treason: 23 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

User is offline   Fox 

Special Xbox 360 Cooperative Note:

When we were developing the Xbox LIVE Arcade version of Duke 3D, one of the things we looked at in detail was co-operative play. More specifically, whether or not the original level construction would leave you stuck with no way out. We spent a lot of time looking for this, and found only one place where this was possible. It was in Critical Mass with the spiral stairs shown here. During the normal single player path, going up the spiral staircase would cause them (and the room at the top) to collapse, leaving you with no way to get back. This is a non issue in single player, but in Co-Op play, we discovered a problem.

In Co-Op, if you got past the collapsing stairs, and then died, you would get taken back to the start of the level. The problem with that is that now the stairs are already collapsed, and you were stuck - there was no way to get past the stairs in Co-Op.

We examined the map data, and discovered that in Dukematch play, this map had special map data so that when the stairs were down, there was a way around. In Dukematch, there is a switch on the wall that was not there in single player or Co-Op originally which would open up a teleport and let you bypass the collapsed stairs. The decision was made to alter the original map data for this instance. We changed the map so that when you played Co-Op, this teleport was also available to you. It is NOT available in single player, and this is the only instance in the entire game when we went back and changed existing map structure for the Xbox LIVE Arcade version. Otherwise you'd get stuck.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I took a look into this. Once you step out of the staircase, it closes a door in front of the staircase, and the ceiling starts to fall. And when you step in the next room with red lights, it opens a teleport in the area before the staircase for co-operative.

The problems comes that there are two triggers to these events, so if you die after you actived the first, you will be locked. You can also see this in single player, by stepping out of the staircase and instead of entering the next room you go back using Steroids.

I think that to fix this all you need to do is move the TOUCHPLATE with lo-tag 5 to the same sector as the one with lo-tag 8761.

BTW guys, I've always wondered, how does the game pick view angles and the time when to switch to the third-person view during demo playback? Does it happen at regular time intervals, or when the player enters specific areas within a level?

It seems to me that the demo of E1L1 in shareware v1.0 switches to the third-person view really a lot, as if it was done intentionally.

User is offline   Fox 

It uses these demo playback SEs.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMrFlibble, on 25 April 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

BTW guys, I've always wondered, how does the game pick view angles and the time when to switch to the third-person view during demo playback? Does it happen at regular time intervals, or when the player enters specific areas within a level?

It seems to me that the demo of E1L1 in shareware v1.0 switches to the third-person view really a lot, as if it was done intentionally.

It's controlled by the mapper. You can put cameras which sole purpose is for demo recording. When the camera has the player in sight; the demo will use the camera angle. When the player is out of sight of any camera, it will be first person.

I'm inclined to think it is done on two triggers - distance and whether the camera can see the target (player, probably picks the closest one)... The camera is a sprite, it simply faces the player (again, nearest player?) whenever it's code is active - sometimes during activation you see it swing quickly implying the camera code sleeps if it hasn't been used in a while - unfortunately I'm not good enough at math to explain the formula making the sprite angle change.

Thanks for the explanations! I guess there are quite a few good angles at which the demo cameras were placed in E1L1, so the demo in v1.0 makes an impression of having been created specifically to show off the game and the main character.

User is offline   mxrtxn 

Here´s some curious stuff abotu sw:

Shadow Warrior secret messages (you will have to use swghost and swgreed to see them)

2nd level Killing fields.

Throw yourself to the opening at the left after the stone door which is opened with the red key.

At the bottom in one of the walls you will see the message "monkey mappers say hi"

Posted Image

Level 10: Raiders of the Lost Wang

above of one of the waterfalls at the begining. left side of the wood brigde (you´ll have to use swghost and swgreed to fly and comethrough)

You will a message that says "monkeys say what?"

Posted Image

2nd SECRET LEVEL: Auto Maul

Come through the last window, the one near to the gate that leads to the exit ying-yang sign.

behind of one of the cars you find a message that says "Follow me to XXX-Stacy´s", a probable reference to the level of duke nukem atomic.

Posted Image

Martin

P.S. I you have discovered more secret messages in sw post them!

This post has been edited by mxrtxn: 26 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

While looking through Shadow Warrior's source code again for the beta thread, I decided delve a little deeper to try and understand a bit of an oddity regarding the Ripper Heart and the Lo Wang clone.

As I'm sure you all know, the Ripper Heart creates a Lo Wang clone who assists you with a railgun before unceremoniously exploding after a short period. However, the way the weapon and clone is defined in the source code suggests a more intriguing intent. For one, the Ripper Heart is internally referred to as the Blood Worm. This includes a death string, indicating the Ripper Heart was originally able to perform actual damage to its targets. Also, the clone is internally named as ZOMBIE. The obvious question here is, "Zombie of what?" Since the clone uses Lo Wang's sprites, is it a zombified version of the player?

Going back to the code, the function used to spawn the Ripper Heart clone is named SpawnZombie2. However, there is an additional unused function apparently intended for a nearly identical purpose simply named SpawnZombie. It is only referenced once (but not actually called) in WEAPON.C in the PlayerCheckDeath function as follows in this excerpt:
PlayerCheckDeath(PLAYERp pp, short Weapon)
    {
    SPRITEp sp = pp->SpriteP;
    USERp u = User[pp->PlayerSprite];
    SPRITEp wp = &sprite[Weapon];
    USERp   wu = User[Weapon];
    int SpawnZombie(PLAYERp pp, short);

This is interesting as it implies the spawning of a zombie does not come directly through the use of a weapon but rather by killing a player with a particular weapon, presumably the Ripper Heart itself. There's also this comment in the unused SpawnZombie function:
//nu->tgt_sp = pp->SpriteP; // Make it target last killed player initially

Hence, I make this hypothesis: The original purpose of the Ripper Heart/Blood Worm was to damage enemies directly, probably by leeching their life force as some early screenshots suggested. If you killed another player with the Ripper Heart, only then would it spawn a zombie player implied to be the resurrected corpse of your foe. This zombie would basically act like the current clone does, but it would initially target the player you just killed when they respawned just to add that extra level of humiliation.

Of course, this limits the zombie strictly to multiplayer-only Wangbang modes. There don't appear to be any obvious remnants in the source code which indicate how the Ripper Heart would have performed as an actual damage-dealing weapon. In the leaked 0.90 beta, the Ripper Heart is powered by "Deathcoils" and fires a projectile which briefly stuns enemies but doesn't seem to damage them, hence evidently coming from a later stage of development.

Also, looking at the zombie's code, an #if'd out section in its action states reveals the clone was supposed to have a larger, more varied arsenal beyond the railgun:
    #if 0
    {sg_ZombieUzi},
    {1024},
    {sg_ZombieUzi, sg_ZombieRocket, sg_ZombieGrenade, sg_ZombieNuke},
    {400, 750, 1000, 1024},
    #endif
    {sg_ZombieRail},
    {1024},
    {sg_ZombieRail},
    {1024},

The notion of a Lo Wang clone using grenade launchers and nukes is definitely amusing. There's also more unused code here which indicates the clone was able to use flash bombs as well.

User is offline   Jblade 

Pretty great detective work there! The zombie functionality sounds really cool, infact if it were to of resurrected ANY enemy it had killed would of been even cooler. as it stands the ripper heart's a pretty funny weapon, but always felt slightly gimmicky to me in SP. The amount of stuff they must of planned/cut probably dwarfs Duke Nukem's easily (btw, I remember reading in an old preview the missile launcher was going to have a multi-missile mode, which is supported by both the counter and also the front of the sprite has about 10 missiles poking out - have you seen any remnants of that in the code?)

This post has been edited by James: 26 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Was talking in the #EDuke32 IRC channel, got on the subject of the stock footage 3DR used to create effects in Duke3D.

Source for the Duke3D/Blood/Nuclear SW explosion.
Source of SW's gas/smoke puff.
Source for Octabrain mindblast.
Source of some of the Duke3D/Blood/SW fire sprites.
I believe Fate or another Build game might have used this explosion.
You can see a very small preview for the Blood explosion on this page. This is also the page where you can buy the VFX compilation disk.

User is offline   Fox 

The videos in the first video are cropped, which is just silly. The second one seems good.

This post has been edited by Fox: 26 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Yeah, I'm not sure what the deal is with that. I've never seen it without the clipping, so I'm assuming that 3DR drew the rest of the sprite.

User is offline   Minigunner 

View PostFox, on 26 April 2014 - 03:04 PM, said:

Too bad it's cropped for widescreen, that was totally fail.

Only the previews are cropped, actually.
However, they didn't have the camera far enough/zoomed-out enough for the mushroom-cloud, so the top was out-of-view.

Share this topic:

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options