Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMarnetmar, on 18 April 2014 - 05:07 PM, said:

Do you intend on making everything except for the Prey betas public? Please tell me you do.

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 17 April 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

Yes, Mike :)

The majority of the "Gold" though is not in that Zip file.
That's in the (literally) hundreds of Backup CD's and Hard-drives from the past 25 years. :)

The above was in response to

View PostMike12, on 17 April 2014 - 10:25 AM, said:

If I may ask, is this zip file going to be made publicly available ala Lameduke once it's sufficiently pruned for any material that might have copyright issues? Having a hands-on look at this stuff would be an experience to die for.

I certainly get that impression from the thread, but I find it always pays to clarify.

More than Prey won't be allowed to be posted but there is more than enough other things.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

They're also not releasing anything from Blood, Doom, Wolf 3D, and Max Payne.

Edit: Looks like Lunick pulled a Hendricks on me :)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 18 April 2014 - 05:13 PM

User is offline   Marnetmar 

View PostMicky C, on 18 April 2014 - 05:12 PM, said:

They're also not releasing anything from Blood, Doom, Wolf 3D, and Max Payne.

Edit: Looks like Lunick pulled a Hendricks on me :)

Welp, looks like I'm going back to being inactive.

I really can't comprehend why NDAs from 20 year old games are still relevant. What does the parent company have to lose from an early alpha of a 20 year old game being released?

This post has been edited by Marnetmar: 18 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

I know a lot of people would be interested in seeing some Prey material. Here's hoping Bethesda play nice and let 3DR show us.

Edit: Nevermind.

This post has been edited by Malgon: 18 April 2014 - 05:20 PM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I don't understand why the Blood alphas can't be released if they're pre-monolith builds. We already have one that was leaked..

This post has been edited by gerolf: 18 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

User is offline   Shaq Fu 

This is the greatest week of my life.

User is offline   Lunick 

I'll wait for someone to explain it in more detail but, it's simply not their property anymore. Just like how they aren't allowed to release (or show) the Duke Nukem Forever builds without permission.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

They can't release old betas of properties not owned by 3DR, even if the beta in question was once owned by 3DR, because when it was sold they sold the rights to everything. That includes these old betas. So a Q Studios build of Blood, even if it was called Horror 3D at the time, is still owned by... whoever owns Blood.

View PostYause, on 18 April 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

It's a technicality. After finishing Duke 3D, the team expected to work on a sequel immediately, so they began prototyping on the Build Engine - adding voxels, creating experimental levels with room over room, etc. Simultaneously, they were assisting on Shadow Warrior (which used the same enhancements) as they prepared, although some of the staff was temporarily whisked away to make the Plutonium Pak.

Plans changed once 3D Realms licensed the Quake engine. Nevertheless, some developers trace the origins of DNF to the Build Engine tests.

I don't see why they would prototype on the Build engine at all, they knew even in the 1.3D release of Duke Nukem 3D that the engine was dated. (I ain't afraid of no Quake. was a testament to gameplay > technology, but everyone knew the industry was about to enter a vortex of one-upping each other with graphical advances.) Were you a developer or do you have some kind of sources for this theory?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I just thought, do they have the photos they used to make the prop and weapon sprites from? Might be interesting to see those.

Just think, if we had them, and Chuck's models, we would have DN3D as God and the Devs really intended all those years ago.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostTea Monster, on 18 April 2014 - 05:57 PM, said:

Just think, if we had them, and Chuck's models, we would have DN3D as God and the Devs really intended all those years ago.

ah yes, ..................... thinking .................................... Posted Image

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

That's certainly a possibility. They did release some of the video clips they used to digitize the shotgun and the stripper tip animation.

It'd be really cool if someone found complete recordings of Jon St. John and John Galt (and in high quality perhaps!)

User is offline   Yause 

View PostJimmy, on 18 April 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

I don't see why they would prototype on the Build engine at all, they knew even in the 1.3D release of Duke Nukem 3D that the engine was dated. (I ain't afraid of no Quake. was a testament to gameplay > technology, but everyone knew the industry was about to enter a vortex of one-upping each other with graphical advances.) Were you a developer or do you have some kind of sources for this theory?

It was mentioned in one of the Duke Nukem Forever interviews.

Edit: Found it
http://www.dukenukem...ranscript7.html
https://groups.googl...e3d/-G79G_vryJg (old 3DR interview with Geoff Keighley)

This post has been edited by Yause: 18 April 2014 - 06:18 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Some of the encrypted zips are starting to fall to my efforts. I've decrypted four so far and am working on nine more.

View PostTea Monster, on 18 April 2014 - 05:57 PM, said:

I just thought, do they have the photos they used to make the prop and weapon sprites from? Might be interesting to see those.

View PostJimmy, on 18 April 2014 - 06:12 PM, said:

That's certainly a possibility. They did release some of the video clips they used to digitize the shotgun and the stripper tip animation.

We have a backup of Stephen Hornback's HDD and there are more materials than I've had the chance to look closely at. Nothing highres though, so it's merely interesting.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

If you guys need help decrypting shit, I have a 4.5GHz i5 that's more than willing to crack a few passwords. Not to mention the fiber optic line...

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 18 April 2014 - 07:58 PM

• Weaponized Autism

^I'm using the pkcrack attack against the zip files so computing power is not a big constraint.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostYause, on 18 April 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

It was mentioned in one of the Duke Nukem Forever interviews.

Edit: Found it
http://www.dukenukem...ranscript7.html
https://groups.googl...e3d/-G79G_vryJg (old 3DR interview with Geoff Keighley)

Hey, cool. I stand corrected. So you're right, it's Duke Nukem Forever but only by technicality. I think the best way to put it would be "Duke Nukem 3D 2: Electric Boogaloo."

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 18 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

Oh yeah, how do you guys know that Blood was once called Horror 3D? I know it says that on Wikipedia, but are there any sources? Like pics when it was still Horror 3D?

View PostPikaCommando, on 18 April 2014 - 09:15 PM, said:

Oh yeah, how do you guys know that Blood was once called Horror 3D? I know it says that on Wikipedia, but are there any sources? Like pics when it was still Horror 3D?

View PostJimmy, on 18 April 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

They can't release old betas of properties not owned by 3DR, even if the beta in question was once owned by 3DR, because when it was sold they sold the rights to everything. That includes these old betas. So a Q Studios build of Blood, even if it was called Horror 3D at the time, is still owned by... whoever owns Blood.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

WOW! ... As Shadow Warrior has been my favorite game for the last 16 years and I've also had the Shadow Warrior Central website up for almost just as long.. This is blowing my mind.

Recently I had begun fixing the Sw Beta v.90 release maps to work with the v1.2 retail version and I would absolutely LOVE to get my hands on the Even earlier stuff .. Please release that stuff Frederik ! .. normally I don't beg .. but ahh f*ck it .. I beg you!

edit- It's odd that I would start reworking the beta levels and THEN find this thread...

This post has been edited by Robman: 18 April 2014 - 11:10 PM

User is offline   Nukeaholic 

What a great find, it's a shame that a good chunk of this can't be released at the moment, but thank you for sharing what you can share at this moment of time. I find it quite fascinating how the development of game's change throughout their development, and seeing the different ideas that are being played around with. Definitely the thread of the year.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Is there any Ruins (old powerslave) builds?

• Weaponized Autism

^Not in the materials Fresch has sent us so far.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Hendricks.. when can we expect the sw beta stuff ?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

When can we expect to see any of the stuff in terms of a general time frame. A week, a month, a year?

The Duke Curse, whether it's DNF, eduke32 polymer/multiplayer, or ancient ported console games/betas, we always seem to be waiting a long time for something Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mickey C: 19 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

While I'm plenty eager to see this content, I'm more than willing to be patient for whatever preparations have to be made. I remember asking about the possibility of Lame Shadow Warrior on the 3DR forums about, gosh, twelve and a half years ago as a wee 12 year old. Knowing now that it's a real possibility, I'll gladly sit back and wait a bit longer. For a little while, at least. :)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Yeah, this is going to require a lot of patience. But hey, we're closer than we've ever been to having this stuff and I don't think 3DR/Interceptor are going to let us down. So it seems like a long wait, I know, but it's not. Our waiting is going to pay off for once.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 19 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

I'm still hyped the fuck up about this. I never, ever thought we'd get any more DN3D betas. I expected that we'd have to piece together things via magazine scans. Now, we not only have multiple holy grails (multiple 1995 DN3D betas, 1994 SW beta), we pretty much have a full development history of DN3D. It's amazing.

• Weaponized Autism

The number of encrypted zips that have fallen to my efforts has increased to six; seven remain. I'm also working on getting some of the Apogee protos working but most of them refuse to run unless unknown requirements are met. I've tried manipulating the date already. I'm thinking environment variables, command-line parameters, or worse, but I'm having little luck disassembling them to find out anything.

I would appreciate suggestions from anyone who has experience in this area.

View PostRobman, on 19 April 2014 - 06:07 PM, said:

Hendricks.. when can we expect the sw beta stuff ?

I'm not the one to ask. I know everyone is drooling over the release, but instead I would suggest that you can sleep better at night knowing this stuff is in good hands, and it is only a matter of time.

User is offline   Jblade 

I'm not the one to ask. I know everyone is drooling over the release, but instead I would suggest that you can sleep better at night knowing this stuff is in good hands, and it is only a matter of time.

What are you doing to the stuff? just checking to make sure there's no material that would bring any kind of legal action against Interceptor/3DR? I think 99% of people would like to have the beta's as intact as possible apart from that (I'm sure you agree of course, just expressing a bit of concern over it)

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostJames, on 19 April 2014 - 10:56 PM, said:

What are you doing to the stuff? just checking to make sure there's no material that would bring any kind of legal action against Interceptor/3DR? I think 99% of people would like to have the beta's as intact as possible apart from that (I'm sure you agree of course, just expressing a bit of concern over it)

I'm pretty sure Fred said somewhere that they would be released in both an untouched state and a playable state. Also that they would be released with the launch of the new 3D Realms website.

Edit: http://forums.duke4....ndpost&p=192316

This post has been edited by Lunick: 19 April 2014 - 11:46 PM

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options