• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Future of 3D Realms - Fan Feedback!

User is online   Lunick 

Um...

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I prefer the old 3DR logo. Those might look a little better if the "3D" was centered above "REALMS", but I'm just not feeling it.

User is online   Lunick 

Maybe they look better animated.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Is this new or old?

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 09 April 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

It'll probably still be a little bit better quality than the video file that's available out there, depending on how well it's ripped. I saw this VHS rip of the Zero Hour commercial on YouTube that someone managed to get their hands on and it looks slightly better:

The framerate seems to be higher.

I've always loved this commercial.

While I think the new logo looks very cheap and unimpressive just like everything that Fresch has done until now, I am very happy to see that he is at least not going to taint the really good looking old school logo of 3drealms.
Hopefully, everybody should now be able to refer to good 3drealms games and future bad 3drealms games by comparing the way their logos look.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 16 April 2014 - 11:58 PM

imo it's way too simplistic like most logos nowadays (also known as SHIT)

Just use the old logo, there's no need for a new one

User is offline   X-Vector 

I thought this was a joke by xMobilemux with everybody else playing along, then I looked up Schreiber's Twitter account.
Worse than Hitler is a bit over the top, but these logos are evil.
Of course they're also completely in line with the smartphone oriented design trends of the last few years, so this is shocking but not completely surprising.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

You would think that after years of existence, humans would be self-aware enough to know that they automatically don't like change regardless of its merits. The only issue I find with the new logo is the positioning of the 3D compared to the Realms. I've tried tinkering with padding on the left side and I can't make it look natural.

I'm personally fine with change, but this is a change that I really don't like. If you want to have a new logo, at least make it an improvement.
Simpler != better

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostHendricks266, on 17 April 2014 - 12:34 AM, said:

You would think that after years of existence, humans would be self-aware enough to know that they automatically don't like change regardless of its merits.

Your argument is "I like it, so anyone that doesn't is just letting nostalgia ruin proper perspective"?
I won't deny that there is an element of sentiment in play, but there's a lot more to it than that.

I think these logos are awful because:

- They're ugly (both the "3D" part and the fonts).
- "Accelerate"? We're not living in 1996 anymore.
- The combination of white, grey and blue/orange is death personified.
- That same combination is everywhere these days (Apple (almost certainly the genesis), Facebook, Twitter, Google, Wikipedia, Amazon, Pinterest, etc.) which leads me to believe that this is simply a trend following design decision, probably sourced from a prompt by the higher up(s) to "make it more now".

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I don't think there is anything wrong with the change. I don't see why they used gray instead of black, but whatever.

For comparison, here is 3DRealms old logo:
Posted Image

In my honest opinion, the old logo is much better

User is offline   Night Wolf 

What the fuck is that shit?

It looks like about 2 mins of thought and work were put into it, the layout does my head in.

There's nothing wrong with the old logo, hell you could even modernise the old logo without changing it.

User is offline   Kyanos 

The problem is the position of the 3. It sits back along the rear edge of the D instead of coming to the front like the old logo. Makes the three look like a backwards F.

Spoiler

User is offline   Ronin 

The 3 looks bad, more like an f as said above. I think they are trying to simplify it for branding reasons, 2 colours is a lot cheaper to print on promo items than gradients.

User is offline   N64 

Frederik Schreiber (Interceptor Entertainment/3D Realms)

- Thanks for having acquired and saved the 3D Realms and its IP.
- Thanks for sharing old materials.
- Thanks for listen and talk with fans.
- Thanks for Rise of the Triad.

Frederik is a cool guy. (i like the new 3DR logo)

George Broussard (old 3D Realms)

- Thanks for having sold some IP like Prey, DNF, Blood etc..
- Thanks for not sharing old materials.
- Thanks for ignored fans.
- Thanks for... Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior and old games. (yes, this is true)
- Thanks for killing DNF.
- Thanks for the infinite "when it's done"
- Thanks for the eternal waiting.

George Broussard is a poor man.
Spoiler

Randy Pitchford (Gearbox Software)

- Thanks for BoredLands (and its infinite business DLC)
- Thanks for not sharing old DNF build.
- Thanks for killing DNF life. (no level editor no mod tools)
- Thanks for abandoning Duke Nukem and his fans.

Randy Pitchford is a...
Spoiler

I hate Randy and its company.

I really don't understand why you hate Interceptor Entertainment. Ingratitude?

Good luck Interceptor Entertainment!

Posted Image

How a/b 3D Realms co-founder Scott Miller?

-Thanks for pioneering & popularizing the "Apogee Model" a/k/a "Shareware" back in the 80's & 90's
-Thanks for sending letters to John Romero pretending to be a separate fan. This later helped Apogee published id Software's Commander Keen & Wolfenstein 3D which propelled the company into a big success.
-Thanks for the following games: Computer Quiz, Astronomy Quiz, BASIC Quiz, Beyond the Titanic, Supernova, Kingdom of Kroz, Word Whiz, Trek Trivia. and producing Raptor: Call of the Shadows, Terminal Velocity, Max Payne and Prey.
- Anything else I can thank him for...

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 17 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

Betting millions on Remedy and Human Head?

User is offline   Squebeb 

Not sure if I'm a huge fan of those new logos so far. The "3" is too obscured by the "D", the "Realms" font doesn't really work well with the "3D", and I don't think simply having "3D" as their actual icon is enough to represent the company. Everyone abbreviates them as "3DR", so it would be better to have that as their icon I reckon.

I think a few people here are hoping they'd go for something like this:

Spoiler

While it would be nice to stick with the original logo or even stick to the formatting for old time's sake, I can appreciate why they'd want to go for something a bit more modern and have a "minimalist" design. It seems like they want to have a fresh (pun somewhat intended) start, so a new logo makes sense.

However, the problem is only the "3D" part is designed as a logo and is nice and stylized whereas the rest isn't. The original worked as having the entire company name being the logo because it was consistent and stuck to one particular theme. With the new one, it looks like their company is just called "Realms" and the "3D" bit at the top is their logo. Personally, I'd think something along the lines of this would be better:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Squebeb: 17 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostRonan, on 17 April 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:

The 3 looks bad, more like an f as said above. I think they are trying to simplify it for branding reasons, 2 colours is a lot cheaper to print on promo items than gradients.

There are gradients in the new logo.

User is offline   Hank 

View Postangelo86, on 17 April 2014 - 09:25 AM, said:

Randy Pitchford is a...

I still respect them both, perhaps because I know how it feels to land flat on your face.
As for Interceptor, will see. On average, most businesses close in five years. So yes, best wishes to Interceptor.

Yet, the logo has lots of room for improvement, it looks cold, plain, non inspired.
How about a contest? Right here, for the best logo done by the fans for the fans. Anyone can enter. Winner gets a trip to Denmark.

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

View Postangelo86, on 17 April 2014 - 09:25 AM, said:

Frederik Schreiber (Interceptor Entertainment/3D Realms)

- Thanks for having acquired and saved the 3D Realms and its IP.
- Thanks for sharing old materials.
- Thanks for listen and talk with fans.
- Thanks for Rise of the Triad.

Frederik is a cool guy. (i like the new 3DR logo)

George Broussard (old 3D Realms)

- Thanks for having sold some IP like Prey, DNF, Blood etc..
- Thanks for not sharing old materials.
- Thanks for... Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior and old games. (yes, this is true)
- Thanks for killing DNF.
- Thanks for the infinite "when it's done"
- Thanks for the eternal waiting.

Spoiler

- Thanks for BoredLands (and its infinite business DLC)
- Thanks for not sharing old DNF build.
- Thanks for killing DNF life. (no level editor no mod tools)
- Thanks for abandoning Duke Nukem and his fans.

Randy Pitchford is a...
Spoiler

I really don't understand why you hate Interceptor Entertainment. Ingratitude?

Good luck Interceptor Entertainment!

Thanks for the kind words Angelo!

Even though you are a bit harsh towards George .
He might have taken some wrong turns during the development of DNF, but after meeting him and spending a day with him a few weeks ago
I've come to admire and respect him. He's extremely intelligent, passionate and a very humble guy.

It definitely puts things into perspective after talking with George in person, and today I see him as a very good friend.

Posted Image

Scott is a key part of 3D Realms still.
We use him in all aspects of the rebirth. He helped design the new logo, he's working with us on the new Interceptor game,
and he has a lot of great input and feedback.

Scott is a natural born business talent - I'd go as far as calling him something close to a Steve Jobs in Videogames.
And these are his "NeXT" years. I'm very proud to be working with him :)

This post has been edited by Frederik Schreiber: 17 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The only problem Scott and George had was that they weren't able to evolve with the industry. Shit happens. Romero and Carmack had trouble evolving too. (Although you could say Carmack was the most successful.) You have to remember George and Scott came from an era where you could make a game over weekends in your parents' basement and release it through UseNet or whatever. I'm sure there was a little bit of that "aimless" development process in their head. Unfortunately, modern games require order and goalposts and all these things.

The new logo isn't so bad. It's a new company, so I find it fitting to let the old logo go.

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

The future of 3D Realms?
What about this... Ken Silverman. I will never forget John Carmack saying that he believed 3D Realms letting Ken S. get away was a huge mistake. I hope you can involve him as he is incredibly smart and talented. I understand he even knows a good bit about the Build engine itself. (Hehehe)

MrBlackCat

View PostMrBlackCat, on 17 April 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

The future of 3D Realms?
What about this... Ken Silverman. I will never forget John Carmack saying that he believed 3D Realms letting Ken S. get away was a huge mistake. I hope you can involve him as he is incredibly smart and talented. I understand he even knows a good bit about the Build engine itself. (Hehehe)

MrBlackCat

Ken Silverman wrote the build engine which is extremely antiquated now.
How could he help with anything when he's been out of the loop for so long?
There are articles even claiming that he was once considered John Carmack's rival which these days almost feels like a lie when you look back to how much stuff Carmack has done since those times.
If Ken Silverman would have actually stuck to game engines to this day and managed to maintain his rep as being Carmack's rival, he should have evolved the build engine to something at least as powerful as Tim Sweeney's Unreal engine 4 if not even better.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 17 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Ken put a lot of his time into his voxel engine, Voxlap. I think he's a step ahead of the rest of the gaming community, and the average pc hardware too. Voxels will have their day, and Ken's work will not go unrecognized.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I think the new logo looks like an Escher optical illusion with the top of the D meant to double as the bottom of the 3. I actually think it's clever now.

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 17 April 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

Ken Silverman wrote the build engine which is extremely antiquated now.

He WROTE it?! NO WAY! (Maybe this sarcasm is more easily realized... :) )

Mr.Deviance said:

How could he help with anything when he's been out of the loop for so long?

Depends on what loop you are typing of... and maybe I should have been more specific with my reference as it was more toward to all the "Ancient Gold" (using build) the Fred has been unpacking that they seem anxious to "do things" with.

Mr.Deviance said:

]There are articles even claiming that he was once considered John Carmack's rival which these days almost feels like a lie when you look back to how much stuff Carmack has done since those times.
I don't know about any rival, but either way he basically wrote the Build engine by himself. Impressive regardless of the comparison.

Mr.Deviance said:

[size="2"]If Ken Silverman would have actually stuck to game engines to this day and managed to maintain his rep as being Carmack's rival, he should have evolved the build engine to something at least as powerful as Tim Sweeney's Unreal engine 4 if not even better.
Even though I think you're a jerk, I must agree with this one small part of your statement... Ok, not really, I don't agree. Maybe he was burned out? I am pretty sure that was the case if I remember correctly.
I do agree with the idea that he is likely far out of the loop... and if we are talking about MODERN engines, (which I wasn't really, and didn't make that clear, my lack of being specific...) experience is probably as valuable as Mental Horsepower (including engine/rendering aptitude). However, no matter the amount of experience, if you don't have the skill/ability then you are still out of the game. (no pun intended)

So my point is that Ken S has demonstrated an ability that only a very small percentage of people are likely capable of... he is getting older now, maybe he is interested. I don't know... was just a suggestion that was intended to be more relative to materials surrounding the engine he developed.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 17 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 17 April 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

I think the new logo looks like an Escher optical illusion with the top of the D meant to double as the bottom of the 3.

Really? It reminds me of windows 8 oddly enough.

Also while I'm on the topic of the 3DR logo.... i seriously hope that the old 3DR logo is kept.

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options