Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread  "Post and discuss new or updated textures/models for the HRP here"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I'm confused. It looks like the model for the full palm tree you have is just one model, however in the game it's actually 2 different sprites; the trunk of the tree is one, with the branches at the top the other one.

So I can see 2 possibilities:
1. You do actually have it as one model, so in the game, it will look like a double tall palm tree with the bottom half of the trunk being completely different.
2. You do have the trunk and branches as separate models, however in that case the trunk is not symmetrical and appears to curve to one side, which means in maps the branches will not actually be connected to the trunk and instead be floating.

Posted Image

Edit: The other reason for the trunk to have straight sides is that it's often used as other things in user maps.

This post has been edited by Plain Simple Garek: 15 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

View PostPlain Simple Garek, on 15 January 2014 - 06:51 PM, said:

I'm confused. It looks like the model for the full palm tree you have is just one model, however in the game it's actually 2 different sprites; the trunk of the tree is one, with the branches at the top the other one.

So I can see 2 possibilities:
1. You do actually have it as one model, so in the game, it will look like a double tall palm tree with the bottom half of the trunk being completely different.
2. You do have the trunk and branches as separate models, however in that case the trunk is not symmetrical and appears to curve to one side, which means in maps the branches will not actually be connected to the trunk and instead be floating.

Posted Image

Edit: The other reason for the trunk to have straight sides is that it's often used as other things in user maps.

Well just check it ingame yourself. The tree IS two separate models, the trunk and the top part itself. It was painstakingly created to line-up and fit in-game. You can also see the palm in the screenshot. It is a perfectly working replacement for the current (very old) tree

This post has been edited by BuddhaMaster: 15 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

User is offline   TON 

Nice palm tree :D

Posted Image

User is offline   Steveeeie 

Nice effort getting this out of speed tree and into game.

Only crit from me is that it is a little light on top and would benefit from having extra branches.

User is offline   TON 

I change my vote for arcade sprite in 3d like this :D

Posted Image

User is offline   TON 

Another reference

Posted Image

User is offline   Night Wolf 

Nice job on the palm tree BuddhaMaster.

View PostTON, on 16 January 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

I change my vote for arcade sprite in 3d like this :D

Even better how about a proper 3D cinema sign.

View PostTON, on 16 January 2014 - 03:12 PM, said:

Another reference

Somehow the palm looks bigger than it should be... also the upper trunk looks wronlgy assigned.

Anyway I've updated the palm package because there was a specular map wrongly assigned.
head to this thread, still to get the updated palm-package
*updated missing spec-map*

Thats how it "should" look in-game
But maybe the size can be slighty increased
Posted Image

This post has been edited by BuddhaMaster: 17 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Who is responsible for the HRP site saying the artwork can be used under the GPL?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostTerminX, on 05 February 2014 - 11:26 PM, said:

Who is responsible for the HRP site saying the artwork can be used under the GPL?
Oops, never noticed that statement, is it a recent addition? Since it's more or less NightFright's site you should PM him to correct that.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I will correct it once my access works again (Yatta has been contacted about it already). It's been a pain in the ass for a while now.

I think this statement (I guess you refer to the FAQ passage "[...] as the pack is released under the GPL which gives others the right to tweak anything you may post.") is still from the time before we had the art license in place, guess it was simply forgotten to adapt it back then. Curious that it wasn't noticed earlier. :/

Basically, the whole sentence can just be removed and it should be fine, if I am not mistaken (the art license is being referred to above already, anyway). And while we are at it, I will also remove the passage about "closed" team positions before. That seems quite inappropriate to write and read when thinking about it a little.

*EDIT*
Update: Is fixed by now.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 07 February 2014 - 04:39 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

======================================================================================================================
Important: Concerning misaligned models
======================================================================================================================

Several long-standing HRP models have an origin offset or a wrong rotation,
which has been taken care of in maphacks or HRP-aware user maps. If you redo
them, please consider reproducing those attributes or contact LeoD before
uploading a 'correct' version. (List not complete yet)

---------------------------------------------------------------- --------
r631 | loomsday | 2014-02-28 12:54:00 -0600 (Fri, 28 Feb 2014) | 1 line

#1227 model 180 degrees rotation to fit the existing maphacks
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't agree. If a sprite is oriented like this:

Posted Image

Then its model should always, always look like this without any maphacks:

Posted Image

Never like this:

Posted Image

(I happened to have these images lying around; I don't think this particular case applies any more.)

Maphacks should fix the sprite angle, never the model.

Existing misorientations should not be preserved in the name of convenience to the maphack-makers. It would be best to bite the bullet. I also believe that the the list of wrongly-facing models in hrp_todo.txt should eventually all be corrected and their maphacks updated.

If it would be any assistance, it would be no trouble for me to write tools that:
1. rotate MD3s
2. identify all sprite IDs of a given picnum in a map

With the data from #2 it should be no trouble to generate per-map grep/awk/let/sed bash script magic to update all the maphacks in the SVN, provided the respective map files. I see that 99% of the maphacks have tilenums commented already, so this task should be even easier.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Misfit model 3d is free and can easily rotate an md3 on the spot. I don't know if you can drive it with a script or not though.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostHendricks266, on 01 March 2014 - 02:14 AM, said:

1. rotate MD3s

Why not use angadd in the def?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

^I looked into that a while back and concluded it was not worth the effort to modify the internal model data structure. Besides, it's not healthy to encourage EDuke32 to waste its processing time on changes that should be done offline.

User is online   Mark 

View PostTea Monster, on 01 March 2014 - 02:38 AM, said:

Misfit model 3d is free and can easily rotate an md3 on the spot. I don't know if you can drive it with a script or not though.

I use that program and I agree, its free quick and easy to align the models. But that program has a habit of changing the internal "frame" name of the model to a default of none00 and will screw up the defs.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Maphacks should fix the sprite angle, never the model.

Existing misorientations should not be preserved in the name of convenience to the maphack-makers. It would be best to bite the bullet. I also believe that the the list of wrongly-facing models in hrp_todo.txt should eventually all be corrected and their maphacks updated.
Well, ... should, eventually. I think this isn't the time yet to bite that bullet. For a decade or more no one has reviewed or complained about those models. And there should be more important things on everyone's to-do list. (Like reaching the BIG maphack milestone, actually implementing the maphack DEF tokens :blink: (sorry), etc.

If it would be any assistance, it would be no trouble for me to write tools that:
1. rotate MD3s
2. identify all sprite IDs of a given picnum in a map
Yeah, I'd really appreciate that. I once tried to rotate a model in Milkshape trial, but the written model was somewhat messed up, and I didn't pursue it.

With the data from #2 it should be no trouble to generate per-map grep/awk/let/sed bash script magic to update all the maphacks in the SVN, provided the respective map files.
It's not completely trivial. Many models have not only been rotated, but also moved (like intersecting groups of barrels, or brooms to actually exactly lean against the wall). And those models which appeared to be [edit:] rotated correctly in the first place and therefore do not appear in the MHKs, would then look definitely off. (Could be solved by an automaphack-block appended to the manual MHK, ofc.)

I see that 99% of the maphacks have tilenums commented already, so this task should be even easier.
Yes, I've designed the UserMapHacks with (semi-)automatic patching in mind. Unfortunatley, the one percent (well, more like ten, actually) are original game's MHKs which still await my full review (redo from scratch and then merge with repository version).

Conclusion: I agree on the principle and I'm willing to work on that, but not before we have:
- EDuke32 supporting the maphack DEF tokens
- a subsequent full HRP release containing fully reviewed Atomic MHKs (and hopefully the majority from my "big milestone to-do list")
- supporting tools (like #1, #2)

View PostMark., on 01 March 2014 - 05:35 AM, said:

I use that program and I agree, its free quick and easy to align the models. But that program has a habit of changing the internal "frame" name of the model to a default of none00 and will screw up the defs.
That's no big deal. eduke32.log will complain, and frame names can easily be identified by opening the MD3 in a text editor.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 01 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

I have a modded version of Misfit Model 3D that removes all polygon limits on MD3 export, if you're interested.

User is online   Mark 

I am VERY INTERESTED !!!!!!

My biggest complaint about the program has been its problem of giving an error message and not saving out some models even though they do not exceed md3 limits. My second complaint is the program refuses to open in full window mode.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 02 March 2014 - 12:40 PM

• Auramancer

Here you go: https://shadowmaveri...limitremoved.7z

Just download that, and extract to a folder. I put this custom MM3D build together myself.

User is online   Mark 

any other improvements?

Thanks very much.

• Auramancer

View PostMark., on 02 March 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

any other improvements?

Thanks very much.

Nah, nothing else, just absurdly raised poly limits for MD3 Export and Import.

btw, if anyone could mirror that file for me to save bandwidth on my machine, it would be much appreciated.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 02 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Perhaps it should to in the tutorials and resources thread under tools?

User is offline   Stabs 

So DNE now has properly defined tiles now, would any of you guys be interested in a job on giving nearly 100 texture proper spec and height maps

will even offer paypal cash / steam games for your time + credits, at the end of the game, you have to also have to do the def files to, so its a bit of work but nothing a clever scripter couldn't work out.

DNE must be perfect in every way i want spec maps to fit with the HRP now even better, you would not believe the amount of polish and changes its really turning from a mod into a polished AAA game

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

View PostDanM, on 06 March 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

So DNE now has properly defined tiles now, would any of you guys be interested in a job on giving nearly 100 texture proper spec and height maps

will even offer paypal cash / steam games for your time + credits, at the end of the game, you have to also have to do the def files to, so its a bit of work but nothing a clever scripter couldn't work out.

DNE must be perfect in every way i want spec maps to fit with the HRP now even better, you would not believe the amount of polish and changes its really turning from a mod into a polished AAA game

Do you guys have an svn repository for this? As I'm looking trough the version of DNE I've downloaded pretty long time ago I see most textures like bricks, concrete and ground don't require any modelling work for generating normalmaps so they are very easy to do. The only thing that bugs me - many brick textures were tiled in a hurry and they have that nasty butterfly effect in the middle, so if they were taken from cgtextures site or there are original non-tiled versions of them it would be great to have access to them too.

User is offline   Stabs 

if you want to be an anal nazi bent on texture perfection welcome to the team, ill send you an invite and give you SVN access and briefing, all texture have their own tile now and can be found easily in mapster, no hacky pal shit

This post has been edited by DanM: 07 March 2014 - 01:05 AM

• Polymancer

What are you doing about NPCs and camo Dukes?

User is offline   Stabs 

they are there but they are to set a setting / show off cutscene and scripting tech

and yes you will be happy to know you won't have to rescue as many survivors in this version and they will be in places that there AI can handle it easier, also the rescue dude has a chaingun so any alien bastard that gets to close gets an ass whooping, just don't stand in front of him when he does it lol, very rarely happens but makes it more plausible how he can exist in such a setting.

anyone want any of their own graffiti posters art to be seen in DNE assuming its a properly cropped PNG with defs

dummytile 7200 128 128
texture 7200 { pal 0 { file "textures/XXXXXXX.png" } }

pretty much 7200 onwards is free.

This post has been edited by Stabs: 13 March 2014 - 07:34 AM

• Polymancer

I forget, how do you add gloss maps in Polymer? It was the alpha channel of one of the other maps, but I can't remember which one.

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

View PostTea Monster, on 01 April 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

I forget, how do you add gloss maps in Polymer? It was the alpha channel of one of the other maps, but I can't remember which one.

Specular map is a separate texture, where RGB channels are used for "specular power", and A channel is for "specular factor". Usually I just ignore alpha channel by saving a texture into 8 bit greyscale PNG file and I assume the engine just sets specfactor to 1 in this case, which is good for most cases of metallic textures. If I want something very glossy like slimer eggs I just set specific specfactor in the deflines. Of course I can adjust specfacor by utilizing alpha channel of the specular map, but it's kind of voodoo for me.

Share this topic:

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options