Duke4.net Forums: What are the most controversial opinions you hold about video games? - Duke4.net Forums

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are the most controversial opinions you hold about video games?

User is offline   Stabs 

oh man why dont they remake those future shock games its basically built of an early version of what is now the skyrim engine today

View PostLunick, on 09 March 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

:blink:

Let me clarify:
I said all Quake games were overrated, but didn't say they were bad. I love Quake, but people put it up higher than it really is.
I prefer Doom over Doom 2 because of the level design, I just find Doom 2's levels boring in comparison to the first Doom's, Doom 2's super shotgun though...
Shadow Warrior 2013 may be superior in many ways, but that doesn't mean the original isn't superior in more ways than that :blink:
Unreal is overrated for the same reasons as Quake
Manhattan Project is my favorite Duke game because it was the first that I played, and I have fond memories of it. Doesn't mean I don't think Duke 3D isn't legendary though, because it is.
And for ROTT 13, I just think it's a great game, it's not perfect, but it's not terrible either.

Probably should've worded my opinions differently :lol:

This post has been edited by TheZombieKiller: 09 March 2014 - 03:54 AM

I honestly think it's nonsense to suggest that Metroid Other M was sexist. It was poorly written and too melodramatic but calling it sexist is overdoing it.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMetroidJunkie, on 09 March 2014 - 03:56 AM, said:

I honestly think it's nonsense to suggest that Metroid Other M was sexist. It was poorly written and too melodramatic but calling it sexist is overdoing it.

I don't think so.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Most claims of sexism today are far too PC for their own good. What do people say was so sexist about Other M anyway?

Mostly misinterpretations, like saying that Samus has obey Adam's orders so it's sexist because a woman is below a man. The problem with that is that Samus was told to leave, she had no business going onto a GF ship without approval, Adam was taking a big risk by even letting her stay and it's not like the men there don't also have to listen to Adam, he's the commander.

User is offline   blackharted3 

• Resident Dufus

Controversial opinions? Gaming? Okay I used to be the expert on this. Here goes: PC games and PC's as a platform are overrated, half hearted, sloppy afterthoughts, not designed from the ground up to be about gaming, and by extension almost caused Microsoft's original drug addicted idiot, to almost ruin the industry, with his retarded original plan for the Xbox One. THANK GOD the reversed the DRM stuff etc. I was so happy when that happened. Next opinion, the PS3 and Vita, sucked purple Dick.

This post has been edited by blackharted3: 11 March 2014 - 03:43 PM

User is offline   Jeff 

-Unlike some people, I don't believe the gaming industry is dying, nor are companies catering to casuals to spite anyone. I think it boils down to business sense. If you need to make money, and 90% of your consumers are people who only play games for fun and aren't serious about it, then that's who you'll ultimately make the game for.
-I also don't believe that games are as full of bugs that people might say. There are probably lots of minor issues (given the size and complexity of the game), but nothing big or game breaking. However, since this is the internet, what is only a small bug can appear to some as a game breaking bug.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostJeff, on 12 March 2014 - 04:26 AM, said:

-Unlike some people, I don't believe the gaming industry is dying, nor are companies catering to casuals to spite anyone. I think it boils down to business sense. If you need to make money, and 90% of your consumers are people who only play games for fun and aren't serious about it, then that's who you'll ultimately make the game for.

What about business sense in making games for less budget without dumbing them down? You wouldn't even need 5+ million sales to turn profit.

User is offline   Cage 

I think that Doom64 is the best Doom game.

User is offline   Jeff 

View PostKathy, on 12 March 2014 - 07:21 AM, said:

What about business sense in making games for less budget without dumbing them down? You wouldn't even need 5+ million sales to turn profit.

There's a lot of games that despite being pretty good, barely turn a profit.

It'd be nice to have good games 100% of the time, but it's not realistic. Forget gaming, but even Microsoft has it's good products (Windows 7) and so-so ones (Vista, ME). The whole dumbing down thing is sort of like welcoming new players to a sport. Gaming isn't just for people like us anymore. That is why stuff is being gutted and you've got these tutorials for new players and more hand-holding. Would people prefer gaming if it was just for people who take it seriously? Or open it up so that even some random person's mother can play a game with the rest of us?

We were all newbies at one point or another. Look at it this way. Take something like Diablo 3's Inferno mode when it was released. Or when I played WoW back in the day, they had heroic 25 man raid dungeons. Yes, a casual player might be able to access it, but would they actually finish it? Get all that good gear like the rest of us who worked for it? Probably give up from dying too much. Swamped with repair bills. They would not get the same rewards as those who put in the effort.

This post has been edited by Jeff: 12 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostJeff, on 12 March 2014 - 04:26 AM, said:

-I also don't believe that games are as full of bugs that people might say. There are probably lots of minor issues (given the size and complexity of the game), but nothing big or game breaking. However, since this is the internet, what is only a small bug can appear to some as a game breaking bug.

Most games have the same amount of bugs as they had back in the day, just more noticeable.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 12 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostCage, on 12 March 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

I think that Doom64 is the best Doom game.

I would say this is arguable, but hardly controversial in my opinion. Doom64 kicks ass and is totally underrated. It's the true Doom 3.

View PostJeff, on 12 March 2014 - 02:34 PM, said:

It'd be nice to have good games 100% of the time, but it's not realistic. Forget gaming, but even Microsoft has it's good products (Windows 7) and so-so ones (Vista, ME). The whole dumbing down thing is sort of like welcoming new players to a sport. Gaming isn't just for people like us anymore. That is why stuff is being gutted and you've got these tutorials for new players and more hand-holding. Would people prefer gaming if it was just for people who take it seriously? Or open it up so that even some random person's mother can play a game with the rest of us?

We were all newbies at one point or another. Look at it this way. Take something like Diablo 3's Inferno mode when it was released. Or when I played WoW back in the day, they had heroic 25 man raid dungeons. Yes, a casual player might be able to access it, but would they actually finish it? Get all that good gear like the rest of us who worked for it? Probably give up from dying too much. Swamped with repair bills. They would not get the same rewards as those who put in the effort.

There's a very easy way to handle this, make the hand holding optional. Give an option to skip tutorial levels and offer difficulty settings. I love Kid Icarus Uprising's system since you can adjust it incrementally and the game rewards you for taking the tougher levels in the form of more hearts and access to exclusive areas. It can range from never played a game in your life easy to NES hard.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostJeff, on 12 March 2014 - 02:34 PM, said:

If the game already has an audience to turn profit then the sequel shouldn't be about increasing the budget thus dumbing down anything else to reach a larger audience.

The whole dumbing down thing is sort of like welcoming new players to a sport. Gaming isn't just for people like us anymore. That is why stuff is being gutted and you've got these tutorials for new players and more hand-holding.

Then fuck contemporary video games. The whole "sport" is dumbing down, not specific games.

Would people prefer gaming if it was just for people who take it seriously? Or open it up so that even some random person's mother can play a game with the rest of us?

That should depend on the game in question, not be a general tendency for the industry/art.

ReaperMan said:

Most games have the same amount of bugs as they had back in the day, just more noticeable.

I'm fairly sure console games has more bugs now since you can patch things up on consoles.

User is offline   Jeff 

As consumers, we can provide game developers all the feedback we want, but we can't really tell them how to run their business or what kinds of games they should make and for who. I mean people have been saying they don't like dumbed down games for years. Yet, well, we still have them. Kind of says to me, they took our input and either disagreed with it, or discarded it.

They haven't been making games which are actually challenging, aside from a few of them. I'll admit though, as of recent, Diablo 3 was very challenging on Inferno mode. So I'd say they did not dumb it down, at least initially until people started complaining about it on the forums about it being too hard.

User is offline   Kathy 

Then I'm not interested in playing these games.

I love Condemned Criminal Origins. I just played it again for the first time in 3 years. I had a 23 year old girl over who does game a lot, play a level of Condemned last week (first time she has seen the game). The level I picked for her was Bart's Department store.

The next day she complained she had nightmares all night, and refused to even let me start up the game again. She was literally jumping at her own shadow all that day! I have never seen another video game that has that "scare effect" on people. So I think they need to make another one, and please port it to the PC from the start.

Thank You.

User is offline   Soap DX 

- I believe games now are made to get people addicted to them rather then to be about fun.

- I believe since microsoft entered the console wars thing took a turn for the money $$$ a lot more.

- I bellive if you remove the socializing and community interaction in MMOs more people would find the games boring.

- I find the concept of grinding contrary to having fun, thus boring and annoying.

- I think people who buy a product destined to break down on you like the 360 and its red ring of death as stupid as kicking a spike and owning yourself. And the people who replaced it as dumb as smashing your head on the wall. Why not just burn your money and figth a skunk, your looking for agravation.

- I enjoy linear games, the well made like uncharted, as much as I know there is better, I don't find them bad.

- I don't enjoy people being so competitive they loose their shit when they loose, or kick you for not doing what they want. What about just having some fun?

- achievements are overrated and often silly.

- nothing kept my interest in bordelands 1, yet I mostly played by myself.

- I think kickstarter is about investing in dreams, the reality might not be what's promised or what you imagined, and people should be more careful with their money. (Often)

- I don't mind call od duty, its lots of fun, my problem is the amount of games in so little time, oh and basically being the same game.

- I feel like L4D2 is the completed version of L4D1, and many games release a first and the complet themselves soon after with a sequel.

- I think mods are the best things gaming has and keeps games alive years after its release, and the gaming industry should suppport them a lot more and encourage it.

- I don't understand the appeal of streaming to strangers, yet I do it just for the heck of it myself :/ I rather play a game then watch someone play for hours, as much as I understand the practicality, I don't see how someone can almost only watch for tones and tones of games.

- I don't play to win, I play to enjoy myself.

- cheaters are one of the worst things for a gaming community.

- I hate regenerating heallth, I find it puts the game to a halt and takes you out of it, I rather cary a medpack and be more cautious with my playstyle.

- TF2 items are way too expensive (real $)

- I though mass effect 3 ending was forgivable and not so horrible, for a series almost flawless I wish people could overlook it, considering all the other games with tones of problems people praise.

- every time I think of Master Chief I imagine him advertising a product.

- score and kill death ratio don't proove your good, its a strong indicator but not the definit one.

- I don't enjoy friendly fire or shooting trough a teammate to kill the person in front of them, makes the game dumb down, and people play dumbly.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I COMPLETELY agree with everything you said except for CoD and ME3. CoD is fucking painfully average trash and ME3's "completed" ending (Extended Cut + Leviathan) is fucking brilliant.

The whole part about modern games being about addiction is spot on. League of Legends is the most played computer game in the world. It is genuinely fucking awful and it has THE worst community out there.

Don't even get me started on fucking grinding, dude.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 10 April 2014 - 07:57 AM

To be fair, arcade games also typically relied on their addictive factor, hence how they were able to squeeze quarter after quarter out of kids. They also tended to be very linear and repetitive. Although, to their credit, atleast arcade games tended to be very challenging.

Yeah but the difference is that arcade games give you that wonderful visceral adrenaline rush that grinding won't provide.

Oh, I wasn't talking about grinding, I was talking about how modern games are made to be addictive. Arcade games are, too, so it's a pretty old trope. That's probably why games like Call of Duty are so popular, they don't require that much thought, just run and gun.

That's a different kind of addictive. The fun kind. I'm talking about games like WoW and LoL that take up a shit load of time and don't always move at a fast pace.

I thought level grinding and addictiveness were separate issues, not one in the same.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostSoap DX, on 10 April 2014 - 06:24 AM, said:

- I bellive if you remove the socializing and community interaction in MMOs more people would find the games boring.

Because that's one of the main elements in MMO, isn't it?

View PostMetroidJunkie, on 10 April 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

I thought level grinding and addictiveness were separate issues, not one in the same.

No it's definitely related. You're forcing people to "work" to become great at it.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The difference is that arcade games were tough. Addictive + tough = tons of quarters. Now all your addictive games are just simple pleb tier puzzle shit or easy peasy hand holding shooters.

They were also COMPLETELY FUCKING BADASS.

God damn it I miss Sega. This is the shit you get when the other half of your company are R&D departments filled with mad scientists.

I really don't get why difficulty levels aren't utilized much more than they are It makes games so much more universally inclusive without throwing away the challenge factor. I especially enjoyed the Kid Icarus Uprising method, you could set it in increments, really makes great practice when you can make the enemies just slightly harder with each play through.

This post has been edited by MetroidJunkie: 10 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options