Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction - Duke4.net Forums

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction  "All Out Of Gum aka Gearbox foils Interceptor's plan again"

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Yeah, but when you factor in the lawsuit and all the other crap, it can start to get really complicated. They couldn't have sold the IP to GBX and still be able to make another Duke 3D FPS? Nobody knows the ins and outs of the contracts signed and who is allowed to do what.

GBX have stated that they are making 'Duke Begins' but they could easily have shelved the project since then.

As Steveeeie says, wait and see.

Wow, I come back from my pilgrimage elsewhere and a new Duke game has been announced! GRAND OLE DAY! Although it is a top down shooter, which is new for the Duke franchise. I honestly prefer new territory as opposed to remakes trying to recapture the glory that was Duke 3d because
Spoiler

Besides, maybe new ground will inspire some creativity? :(

Haha- wait what, jealousy? And here I thought you peeps are somewhat professionals.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostTerminX, on 09 February 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

I don't know about you, but "hey, let's use the same name for something completely different made by people who literally have no clue about the original!" is infuriating to me.

Generally speaking. I cannot remember who played it at Interceptor or not, when I was with them.

I don't know why a character artist for example should have played DN3D to model the PigCop or a weapon or some level props. As long as the gameplay designer and the director know what is going on.

And something to think about:

Besides ... what if (I repeat: what if) there were other circumstances behind the scenes that must not go public that led to the halting of Reloaded? Remember, 3DR-people were slightly involved with Reloaded (Miller for example). And there was a time when 3DR and GBX weren't the best of friends (sueing for DNF royalties for example). What if (I repeat ... what if, I of course, don't know any details) 3DR didn't like GBX even before that and din't liked that GBX didn't allow a release.
What if a person of 3DR (or it's lawyer) came to the conslusion that a remake of Reloaded would affect both companies: GBX (as Reloaded is a new game) and 3DR (as it is a remake of a game 3DR still holds the rights for). What if that person thinks that GBX isn't even entitled to give out that license for Reloaded, becasue it is a remake of a game 3DR holds the rights for???

Just some guesses, of course. :(

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 10 February 2014 - 12:01 AM

View Postfuegerstef, on 09 February 2014 - 11:44 PM, said:

Generally speaking. I cannot remember who played it at Interceptor or not.

I don't know why a character artist for example should have played DN3D to model the PigCop or a weapon or some level props. As long as the gameplay designer and the director know what is going on.

Apparently this is something about nerds being afraid of their precious being taken away. Like you have to be a true fan to do something related to it. Cracked explained it in detail here.

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

View PostTea Monster, on 09 February 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

...So, after all that, this dude comes out of nowhere, he wasn't a member of any of the different communities and he didn't have a stellar track record at the time of making Reloaded...

That's not entirely correct.
I've been an active member of the Duke community since 1996, doing many levels and mods in the Pre-Duke4.net days, as well as being an active member on the 3D Realms Forums for more than 10 years.
The rest of the Reloaded Team were also mostly Duke3D Modders through more than a decade.

Edit;
Great Article PikaCommando :(

This post has been edited by Frederik Schreiber: 10 February 2014 - 12:11 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 10 February 2014 - 12:09 AM, said:

I've been an active member of the Duke community since 1996, doing many levels and mods in the Pre-Duke4.net days,

EDIT: Look at the DNR fanny boys coming out of the wood work.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 10 February 2014 - 09:25 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I've been an active member of the Duke community since 1996, doing many levels and mods in the Pre-Duke4.net days, as well as being an active member on the 3D Realms Forums for more than 10 years.
The rest of the Reloaded Team were also mostly Duke3D Modders through more than a decade.

Care to elaborate? What did you release, and under what screen name? What did they release, and under what screen names?

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

Back in 1996-1997 I primarily did a range of Danish inspired levels and mods, based on local areas. Such as the Rail-road Station in Copenhagen (Got pretty popular on Danish BBS'), the Harbor from Flensburg Germany, etc.
In around 2002-2003 I did the Osamas Hideout series.

I don't think much of it exists anymore. It's a very long time ago.
Back then I was using a range of different usernames. Mostly "Longbow", "Longbow3000", "FreDe". "Daedalus" was also something I used here and there.

I haven't done any Build stuff, in more than 10 years.

Most of the old community from back then is long gone, but I do have some fond memories.
My favourite is probably in March 2002, where Joe Siegler sent me the DNF 2001 dvd for my birthday. That day, I knew that 3D Realms truly cared about the community. :(

And ofc. the 2001 Trailer Thread, which made it to the 3DR Greatest Hits.
Promised Lot was also a ton of fun to follow (3DR E3 2001 Event).
Especially the Strippers and Midgets fighting, and the Levelord (Richard Grey), flipping Burgers.

This post has been edited by Frederik Schreiber: 10 February 2014 - 03:14 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Edit;
Great Article PikaCommando :(

"Active member" and "haven't done any build stuff for 10 years" are kind of contradictory.

Anyway the reason for this post is because I think the line "The rest of the Reloaded Team were also mostly Duke3D Modders through more than a decade." is a pretty big embellishment. Wasn't the lead level designer of ROTT a doom mapper? I see what you're getting at, but it's not the same thing. IMO Duke maps have that little something special that's hard to define that sets them apart from other games of the era, and in fact other games full stop. Dare I say that Duke maps also have a higher quality and that you can't really get away with some things that you might be able to in games like Doom.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostSlippy_Pig, on 09 February 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

Wow, I come back from my pilgrimage elsewhere and a new Duke game has been announced! GRAND OLE DAY! Although it is a top down shooter, which is new for the Duke franchise. I honestly prefer new territory as opposed to remakes trying to recapture the glory that was Duke 3d because
Spoiler

Besides, maybe new ground will inspire some creativity? :(

The only concern there is it basically widens the the risk vs reward gap by a great margin. If they make a mistake, if they get it wrong, it will be perceived as a failing to adapt the character to a new genre, on top of all the baggage Duke has to carry until he has a really good new game. On the other hand, it could show that maybe Duke is meant to branch out into new territory and bring about a decent revival for the character.

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 10 February 2014 - 02:44 AM, said:

Back in 1996-1997 I primarily did a range of Danish inspired levels and mods, based on local areas. Such as the Rail-road Station in Copenhagen (Got pretty popular on Danish BBS'), the Harbor from Flensburg Germany, etc.
In around 2002-2003 I did the Osamas Hideout series.

I don't think much of it exists anymore. It's a very long time ago.
Back then I was using a range of different usernames. Mostly "Longbow", "Longbow3000", "FreDe". "Daedalus" was also something I used here and there.

I haven't done any Build stuff, in more than 10 years.

Most of the old community from back then is long gone, but I do have some fond memories.
My favourite is probably in March 2002, where Joe Siegler sent me the DNF 2001 dvd for my birthday. That day, I knew that 3D Realms truly cared about the community. :(

And ofc. the 2001 Trailer Thread, which made it to the 3DR Greatest Hits.
Promised Lot was also a ton of fun to follow (3DR E3 2001 Event).
Especially the Strippers and Midgets fighting, and the Levelord (Richard Grey), flipping Burgers.

DNF 2001 DVD? E3 2001 DNF event? How were they like?

User is offline   Steveeeie 

I don't see how activity in the community makes somebody more of a duke fan.

Maybe somebody is a huge fan but until recently didn't have the skills to contribute much of anything.

We also need to remember that there are / have been non-English speaking Duke communities that some of us may have never seen.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I don't want to get involved too much in the debate about who should have got the licence to make a Duke game because at the end of the day it's pointless, and I have no strong personal feelings (for example of jealousy), because I don't see myself mapping for anything other than eduke32. Hell, the main project I'm involved with on eduke32 at the moment doesn't even involve Duke.

But there's the point that people who have been playing and modding Duke 3D "non-stop" from the early days have been able to fine-tune what makes a great Duke map/game. It's logical to take advantage of that.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

It dosen't make any difference, It was asked why some people felt that way so I explained it. It dosen't matter how long someone has been modding or what engine or where they live. It was how people felt at the time and why.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostPikaCommando, on 10 February 2014 - 03:57 AM, said:

DNF 2001 DVD? E3 2001 DNF event? How were they like?

The DVD was simply the 2001 trailer on a DVD. Many fans made it out to be way bigger of deal than it was. Yes, it had its own cover art('Duke Carey' for those who remember), so I guess that made it somewhat of a collector's item. But it featured no exclusive bonus content or gameplay footage.

Pictures of the DVD case and the DVD itself can be found here.

The E3 2001 DNF event was when 3D Realms showed the 2001 trailer at E3. They had a back lot setup with the trailer looping on a big screen along with strippers/exotic dancers and a guy dressed up as Duke. And no, the game was not playable nor were any VIP previews given(a la E3 1998). The only thing shown to anyone there was that trailer which most of us are all too familiar with.

There were plenty of photographs from the event that Joe Siegler took, but upon quick glance they appear to have been taken off of 3DR's website(along with all the other albums), but I'm sure that some- if not all- can be still be found elsewhere.

This post has been edited by Duke Rocks: 10 February 2014 - 06:53 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostDuke Rocks, on 10 February 2014 - 06:49 AM, said:

Pictures of the DVD case and the DVD itself can be found here.

Coincidentally, a thread started by Fresch

• "Dick Nasty"

^ Wow, didn't even realize that....just googled something along the lines of 'DNF 2001 DVD' and that thread was one of the top results. :(

Agreed with the posts that the RPG aspect is a bit odd and hopefully this isn't a "gritty" game and remembers to have humor and offkilter uniqueness in the mix.

Also somebody mentioned boobs earlier, that would be good too. Granted topdown zoomed out perspective boobs won't be too titillating, i just think they should be there for the principle of the matter. :( Duke needs to be like a Hard-R crazy movie from the 80s, it's gotta be over-the-top in all aspects.

And of course, hopefully the combat is good.

My main concern with the "Action RPG" moniker is that we'll be getting quests from some guy to kill all the mutant rats in his backyard or something. Ha hopefully it's more referring to the skill trees stuff. Though I wouldn't mind some funny RPG dialogue, especially parodying the Bioware romancing stuff.

Long story short, fun to have a new Duke game coming, more great Jon St John, and we know another Duke FPS will happen at Gearbox as well.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I like how Fresch is like "I did a bunch of stuff nobody remembers and I can't prove ever existed."

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 10 February 2014 - 02:13 PM, said:

Agreed with the posts that the RPG aspect is a bit odd and hopefully this isn't a "gritty" game and remembers to have humor and offkilter uniqueness in the mix.

Also somebody mentioned boobs earlier, that would be good too. Granted topdown zoomed out perspective boobs won't be too titillating, i just think they should be there for the principle of the matter. :( Duke needs to be like a Hard-R crazy movie from the 80s, it's gotta be over-the-top in all aspects.

And of course, hopefully the combat is good.

My main concern with the "Action RPG" moniker is that we'll be getting quests from some guy to kill all the mutant rats in his backyard or something. Ha hopefully it's more referring to the skill trees stuff. Though I wouldn't mind some funny RPG dialogue, especially parodying the Bioware romancing stuff.

Long story short, fun to have a new Duke game coming, more great Jon St John, and we know another Duke FPS will happen at Gearbox as well.

You're forgetting topdown cleavage, the only reason 2-story malls exist

If it's a turn-based RPG, I will lose a lot of interest. I can also see it being a randomly generated roguelike being a good and bad thing too. Good for the instant replayability, but bad because each level would lose that something special because they weren't all handcrafted.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 10 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

User is online   Lunick 

I don't know why you guys are busting Fred's balls so much in this topic, I don't think he is exactly lying.

Unless you're going to tell me he bought (or obtained) almost all of these to cover up his past?

Posted Image

If you search some of the usernames he posted, some of them do provide hits for example, Longbow3000 links to here where he was mapping for Shadow Warrior. Go through his other posts and you find that he was related in a Unreal map but in that same thread, another username Daedalus appears. It's worth mentioning that the Longbow3000 account's is set to Denmark too.

FreDe links to Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded pictures on the Duke Wiki has the author of the pictures.

This is probably just a pussy post of mine but, the maps really probably have disappeared or I just probably just can't find them because the maps probably didn't exist anywhere in English. I'm sure if it was archived somewhere, one of the txt files would have popped up with his name or his usernames under the author. Maybe it would be better for someone else who speaks the language (or similar) to search instead of myself using English terms.

Anyway, I don't think this is really worth getting worked up over. Whether I think Duke is in good hands or not is something I don't want to talk about (like waiting 6+ months for Duke Nukem Manhattan Project to have a fixed overlay on Steam and being lied to about the source code for it) but all we can do is what we've always done, wait.

User is offline   Kyanos 

nevermind...

This post has been edited by Drek: 10 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostELFDICK, on 10 February 2014 - 03:12 PM, said:

I like how Fresch is like "I did a bunch of stuff nobody remembers and I can't prove ever existed."

This

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostLunick, on 10 February 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

I don't know why you guys are busting Fred's balls so much in this topic, I don't think he is exactly lying.

Unless you're going to tell me he bought (or obtained) almost all of these to cover up his past?

Posted Image

If you search some of the usernames he posted, some of them do provide hits for example, Longbow3000 links to here where he was mapping for Shadow Warrior. Go through his other posts and you find that he was related in a Unreal map but in that same thread, another username Daedalus appears. It's worth mentioning that the Longbow3000 account's is set to Denmark too.

FreDe links to Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded pictures on the Duke Wiki has the author of the pictures.

This is probably just a pussy post of mine but, the maps really probably have disappeared or I just probably just can't find them because the maps probably didn't exist anywhere in English. I'm sure if it was archived somewhere, one of the txt files would have popped up with his name or his usernames under the author. Maybe it would be better for someone else who speaks the language (or similar) to search instead of myself using English terms.

Anyway, I don't think this is really worth getting worked up over. Whether I think Duke is in good hands or not is something I don't want to talk about (like waiting 6+ months for Duke Nukem Manhattan Project to have a fixed overlay on Steam and being lied to about the source code for it) but all we can do is what we've always done, wait.

Well said. I think that some here are just jealous of Fred's level of ambition and talent, as well as the success those two attributes have brought him. From what I've observed, Fred is one of the most genuine and hardcore Duke fans in existence.

Re: His "lost" maps.
Keep in mind that we are living in 2014. The internet as we know it has been around for quite some time now. Plenty of user created content from over a decade ago has been either un-hosted, or just simply buried under new stuff. Contrary to popular belief, once you upload something to the internet, it is NOT necessarily there until doomsday...uploads get systematically taken down every minute in order to free up storage space, and servers are known to occasionally crash.

I know I've made tons of Duke-related and inspired maps/levels that I'd kill to get ahold of once again.

In short, Fred has nothing that he needs to prove to anyone, and we have zero reason to not take his words at face value. End of.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Yeah, a guy with a -27 rep has a lot of clout. We can only discern two things from all of his shit disappearing; It was early Sanek-tier shit or it never existed. If you can't prove you were an active member of the community, why bring it up? A few forum posts that lead to some random guy with Denmark in his profile. You know who else was an "active" member of the community that never released anything? Bullis. His project Ultra3D stalled around a decade ago, yet screenshots can still be found round the webs and I'm sure a few people here even remember it. Because that at the end of the day is what makes you an active member, you released enough stuff or were a prominent enough member that people actually remember you. Otherwise you were just some jerk off who played it and occasionally posted on the forums. When I think active members, I think Cyborg, Moloch, Reaper_Man/MSleeper, TerminX, George W. Bernard, Mikko Sandt, Daedolon, the Oostrum Brothers, James Stanfield, Maarten Pinxten, Pascal Rouaud etc. Not some jerk off from Denmark. Active implies activity. In a community that has always centered so heavily around content, if you're not actively creating content, you don't matter. Hell, I made and released a map a decade ago that was so bad nobody liked it and it probably isn't anywhere on the internet. I even lost it for about 8 years, and I have a copy of it right now. He claimed his maps were pretty good and somehow disappeared.

This post has been edited by ELFDICK: 10 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

User is offline   Doomfrost 

So the Kyrr will be a third alien race then? First it was Rigelitans, then Cycloids, so now it's Kyrr? Any idea what they'll look like?

User is online   Lunick 

I hope the Kyrr will be something interesting to look at.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostHulkNukem, on 10 February 2014 - 03:18 PM, said:

If it's a turn-based RPG, I will lose a lot of interest. I can also see it being a randomly generated roguelike being a good and bad thing too. Good for the instant replayability, but bad because each level would lose that something special because they weren't all handcrafted.

If it turns out to be a roguelike I'll be genuinely surprised.

This post has been edited by Kathy: 10 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

User is offline   Doomfrost 

View PostLunick, on 10 February 2014 - 07:00 PM, said:

I hope the Kyrr will be something interesting to look at.

Muscle and machine sounds interesting. Though wasn't the Cycloid race augmented as well?

Share this topic:

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options